Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2008 2:30:35 PM EDT
I have a KAC two-stage full auto trigger that I have been using and love it. I have had the trigger adjusted to 4.5lbs and it feels great. This whole time I have had it I decided not to put the loctite on the set screws...

So I decided to go ahead and lock it down at 4.5lbs like the instructions say to do using the loctite primer and thread locker. I went ahead and pulled the set screws out and cleaned them as well as the holes. I then applied the primer and let it sit for 5 minutes to dry. I then applied the thread locker to the screw threads and put them both in all the way (As instructions say to.) Then I began to make my adjustments (about 30 seconds from the time I applied the loctite) and to my surprise, they were LOCKED. The loctite took hold almost immediately and I ended up practically stripping out one of the screws trying to loosen it and the other one I simply couldn't budge.

So hence my subject line... Am I F'd now or what? Is there someway to get the set screws out? Also is there anyway to buy a new couple set screws, disconnector and trigger sear (I think that what these are called?) Or maybe they're called "hooks". Can't remember exactly and I don't have the instructions with me at the moment.

Anyway what do you guys think? Might need some "out of the box" thinking on this one...
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Heat maybe??

Or just shit can the trigger and get a Geislle SSF..
Much better trigger
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Heat will loosen it.  When they loosen up, make your adjustments and let it cool down.  They should lock in place.
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Heat will loosen it.  When they loosen up, make your adjustments and let it cool down.  They should lock in place.

How do you recommend I heat it? Also I am assuming you are suggesting that I heat it while it is inside the receiver? I don't know if I want to do this and potentially destroy my $15k lower...
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I used a small butane torch.  You don't have to heat it up that much especially for the small amount of loctite used for those little screws.  Do it little by little until the screws can move.  I did this with a JP trigger that was adjusted for a different lower while it was in my SP1 conversion.  My lower got warm but wasn't damaged, not even the finish.  If you are that worried about it, you could take out the trigger, heat it up, remove the screws, clean off the loctite and start all over.
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I used a small butane torch.  You don't have to heat it up that much especially for the small amount of loctite used for those little screws.  Do it little by little until the screws can move.  I did this with a JP trigger that was adjusted for a different lower while it was in my SP1 conversion.  My lower got warm but wasn't damaged, not even the finish.  If you are that worried about it, you could take out the trigger, heat it up, remove the screws, clean off the loctite and start all over.

+1 but I didnt have the patience to write all that..
Link Posted: 9/24/2008 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2008 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Heat maybe??
Or just shit can the trigger and get a Geislle SSF..
Much better trigger

The Geissele SSF is  replacing the KACs in SOCOM for a good reason.

And I sent you a PM asking if you have any in stock and you didn't respond!
Link Posted: 9/24/2008 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/24/2008 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Sorry, I dont accept PMs. With 100 to 150 emials a day to keep track off, I can keep up with PMs

I'll have a batch of SSFs the end of next week.

Awesome! Well I'm going to try and torch the shit out of my KAC and make the most of it. Already dropped $300+ on this bitch so hopefully I can get something out of it. I love the fact that you can simply drop the SSF in and fire away without having to adjust anything, then again it is nice to have the ability to adjust the weight. Then again once you loctite the thing you're pretty much done with your adjustments...

Anyway I'm going to give this a whirl and when I F it up even more, I'll be sending my Visa number your way!

Thanks a lot!
Link Posted: 9/25/2008 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#10]
If you are going to do most of your shooting in FA, don't spend the cash on those fancy 2 stage FA triggers that are only 2 stage in semi and single stage in FA.  Get a JP trigger instead which is single stage.  Yes it has adjustment screws but I never had them come loose on me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2008 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Good news! I took the trigger a part and put each hook in a vice and heated it up and presto! The little screws came right out! Looks like heating it up burnt all the loctite out too, so now I can screw them in and out just fine.

Now I have to figure out how I'm going to apply the loctice but maintain the ability to adjust. I think what I'll do is adjust it exactly how I want it and then turn it counter clockwise 360 degrees, apply loctite and then turn it back clockwise 360 degrees. It should be pretty close that way and the thread locker should hold "i hope".

Anyway I'm so releived that I was able to salvage my "f up" thanks to you guys!

Also I shoot a lot of semi auto as well as full auto and the two stage is really nice for accuracy. It helps a lot in nailing sage rats out in Oregon's east side high desert area!
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top