Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2016 9:35:13 PM EDT
If you don't have a local shop that happens to have a transferable in stock, where do you start the hunt for a transferable machine gun?

I think I'm ready to make the plunge and get one, but I'm not sure where to start in trying to find one to make the purchase (aside from Gunbroker listings). I'm probably limited to a M10 or M11, but such is the market.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 2:16:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll second Sturmgewehr.com, big fan of that place.

Been in MG's for a few years now and 1 thing has held constant, prices go up. It's ridiculous in my opinion. I actually hope Trump does something about the MG/NFA stuff because this shit is nearly in offordable to middle class dudes.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 2:33:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I started and ended by going to Ruben's site. If you're looking specifically for an M10/M11, they're easy enough to find that there's several dealers you could look at in addition to Subguns and Gunbroker. If I wanted a Mac, I would absolutely bargain with the seller. There's at least a dozen for sale at any time.

Keep in mind, there's also Stens, Reisings, M2 carbines, and a handful of other less popular MGs in that price range.

Also, good decision!
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:07:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I started and ended by going to Ruben's site. If you're looking specifically for an M10/M11, they're easy enough to find that there's several dealers you could look at in addition to Subguns and Gunbroker. If I wanted a Mac, I would absolutely bargain with the seller. There's at least a dozen for sale at any time.

Keep in mind, there's also Stens, Reisings, M2 carbines, and a handful of other less popular MGs in that price range.

Also, good decision!
View Quote

I would stick with the M10 or M11 in that price range.  The Lage uppers available for those guns are pretty impressive.

It's hard for a "one gun" owner to do better than that.

I agree that the OP should bargain but on the other hand he should not delay.   I think the whole spectrum of MGs is due for a price increase.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:07:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Subguns.com

or

Sturm
View Quote

and gunbroker
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#6]
From what I hear the MG side of the NFA community is really tight knit since supply is finite.

Best to start looking around asap and schmoozing with everyone.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Also, good decision!
View Quote

I would bet a reising is one of the cheapest ways into the MG world. High supply, low demand.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I suggest that you first decide what machine gun to buy based on what you desire, not what you think you can afford.  Regardless of cost, if you buy something that is not what you desire, you may as well just go to ranges that offer full auto rentals and shoot their guns.

Decide what you really want, make yourself knowledgeable about the gun by frequenting the appropriate internet sites and reading the related books.  Then develop a savings plan that will finance the purchase be it cutting back on dining out, fewer movies, large market instead of craft beer, etc.

Best of luck and enjoy whatever you decide to pursue.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Websites to watch for good deals on machine guns:
http://www.sturmgewehr.com
http://www.atfmachinegun.com
http://www.autoweapons.com
http://www.impactguns.com
http://www.subguns.com
http://www.onlythebestfirearms.com
http://www.davidspiwak.com
http://dealernfa.com
http://www.gunbroker.com
http://www.nfasales.com
http://mtmmfg.com
http://www.classiiidealers.com/
http://www.westernfirearms.com/
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/class-iii-full-auto/
http://www.urban-armory.com/
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_7/118_NFA_Firearms_andamp__Parts.html

Website that tracks machine gun values:
http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I suggest that you first decide what machine gun to buy based on what you desire, not what you think you can afford.  Regardless of cost, if you buy something that is not what you desire, you may as well just go to ranges that offer full auto rentals and shoot their guns.

I have such a range within a mile of my home. What I like? I'd like half a dozen DLO converted H&K packs, 5 RDIAS, a quad m1919 in AA configuration, a pair of Glock 18s, a M2HB, and a M134a. For some reason I cannot seem to convince myself to sell my house to fund a MG shopping spree.

Decide what you really want, make yourself knowledgeable about the gun by frequenting the appropriate internet sites and reading the related books.  Then develop a savings plan that will finance the purchase be it cutting back on dining out, fewer movies, large market instead of craft beer, etc.

When I first started thinking about buying a machine gun, MAC's were under $3500 and FNC hosts w/ sear were about $6500 - $7000.

Waiting doesn't seem to be working real well.

View Quote

Responses in red.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Responses in red.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have such a range within a mile of my home. What I like? I'd like half a dozen DLO converted H&K packs, 5 RDIAS, a quad m1919 in AA configuration, a pair of Glock 18s, a M2HB, and a M134a. For some reason I cannot seem to convince myself to sell my house to fund a MG shopping spree.

When I first started thinking about buying a machine gun, MAC's were under $3500 and FNC hosts w/ sear were about $6500 - $7000.

Waiting doesn't seem to be working real well.

Responses in red.

Obviously we all want a safe full of MGs, who wouldn't?!  But if you buy a Sten or MAC just because its the cheapest when you really had your heart set on a M16 or a beltfed M1919 you will be disappointed.

Only you know what you truly want and can afford but I personally always recommend an M16 for first time MG owners and for anyone who may only ever own one MG (like me). Sub MGs are usually the cheapest of the MG market but most are a one trick pony. And M16 on the other hand can be converted to a subgun, a beltfed, and probably a dozen different calibers and will fit perfectly with most peoples existing AR15 collection. And considering most MACs are selling for $7-8 these days if you double that you can buy a RLL or for a little more you can get a non-colt RR.

M16 Market Data
Transferable M16 machine guns and estimated market values:

RLL $12-16k
RDIAS $30-35k
RR Non-Colt Cast AR15 Conversion $16-18k
RR Non-Colt AR15 Conversion $17-19k
RR Colt AR15 SP1 Conversion $17-19k
RR Colt AR15 614 $22-24k
RR Colt M16 $24-26k
RR Colt M16A1 $25-28k
RR Colt M16A2 $28-35k
RR Colt M16A2 Commando $33-38k (Marked "Auto" instead of "Burst")
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Obviously we all want a safe full of MGs, who wouldn't?!  But if you buy a Sten or MAC just because its the cheapest when you really had your heart set on a M16 or a beltfed M1919 you will be disappointed.

Only you know what you truly want and can afford but I personally always recommend an M16 for first time MG owners and for anyone who may only ever own one MG (like me). Sub MGs are usually the cheapest of the MG market but most are a one trick pony. And M16 on the other hand can be converted to a subgun, a beltfed, and probably a dozen different calibers and will fit perfectly with most peoples existing AR15 collection. And considering most MACs are selling for $7-8 these days if you double that you can buy a RLL or for a little more you can get a non-colt RR.
View Quote

Contrary to my membership here, I'm not a big fan of M16 or AR15 firearms (I prefer roller delayed blowback). I simply can't justify spending over $20k on a sear, trigger pack, or registered receiver MP5. If I had been smart, I would have sold some of my Title 1 stuff during the 2013 panic and bought a RR G-3 back then.

I love my semi auto subgun clones, so the MAC seems to be a versatile platform and subguns are fun. I'd originally been thinking about a M10 in 45 ACP, as I have enough 45 ACP reloading components to last until the next ice age, and I hardly ever shoot 45 ACP these days. Then I started looking at the M11 and the variety of Lage uppers for it - the MAX 11k and the Suomi compatible uppers offer a great deal of versatility. The ability to use modern optics, a 3 lug to interface with my existing 3 lug suppressors, adjustable rate of fire through changes in the buffer, and a compact form factor all appeal to me.

Since I don't buy guns to sit unfired in the safe (excluding those that are unfired because I haven't had time to shoot them), I figure whatever my first MG is it should be something meant to be shot.

I wish Lage made a Suomi type upper for Thompson drums and it was possible to get one lower than could run 9mm or 45 ACP drum based uppers.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want a M10, I would just go to one of the major reputable dealers and just buy one and not try and save $500ish bucks via a private sale that may come with two F4 transfers if out of state, a potentially less than reputable owner who continues to shoot the gun while awaiting 9M to a year for the F4 transfer to clear (or moves to another state during the lengthy transfer process - which has happened to me), or just getting scammed outright.

On the high end you could go to Ruben Mediola and get one of the myriad of M10s on his site for $8K, on the low end you could get a M10 frame from Craig Wheatly for just under $6K and build it out the rest of the way as funds become available.

In between there are a myriad of reputable dealers with complete M10s in the 7K range.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Contrary to my membership here, I'm not a big fan of M16 or AR15 firearms (I prefer roller delayed blowback). I simply can't justify spending over $20k on a sear, trigger pack, or registered receiver MP5. If I had been smart, I would have sold some of my Title 1 stuff during the 2013 panic and bought a RR G-3 back then.

I love my semi auto subgun clones, so the MAC seems to be a versatile platform and subguns are fun. I'd originally been thinking about a M10 in 45 ACP, as I have enough 45 ACP reloading components to last until the next ice age, and I hardly ever shoot 45 ACP these days. Then I started looking at the M11 and the variety of Lage uppers for it - the MAX 11k and the Suomi compatible uppers offer a great deal of versatility. The ability to use modern optics, a 3 lug to interface with my existing 3 lug suppressors, adjustable rate of fire through changes in the buffer, and a compact form factor all appeal to me.

Since I don't buy guns to sit unfired in the safe (excluding those that are unfired because I haven't had time to shoot them), I figure whatever my first MG is it should be something meant to be shot.

I wish Lage made a Suomi type upper for Thompson drums and it was possible to get one lower than could run 9mm or 45 ACP drum based uppers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like an M11 is perfect for you. HK packs are $30k+ by the way.

Like you, I'm not big on the M16 (and I've fired them plenty). I really like AR-15s, but 5.56 on full auto in a lightweight platform like the M16 has too much muzzle rise to be really enjoyable. You either need a deafening muzzle brake to combat it, a death grip on the rifle, or fire shorter bursts to stay on target. And while it can be converted to 9mm, the AR platform has strange recoil characteristics with 9mm. Although a lot of people recommend the M16, I think if you want an SMG you should get an SMG.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Like you, I'm not big on the M16 (and I've fired them plenty). I really like AR-15s, but 5.56 on full auto in a lightweight platform like the M16 has too much muzzle rise to be really enjoyable. You either need a deafening muzzle brake to combat it, a death grip on the rifle, or fire shorter bursts to stay on target. And while it can be converted to 9mm, the AR platform has strange recoil characteristics with 9mm. Although a lot of people recommend the M16, I think if you want an SMG you should get an SMG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

I'm rather excited by what I see in videos and comments about the Lage uppers. It seems that the M10 and M11 platforms are being explored in new ways (which is rather similar to the explosion of new AR15 uppers/accessories/designs in the past decade).

Seeing as how this will end up being a very expensive device designed to convert capital into noise, I might as well get something fun and versatile (as opposed to historic and/or finicky).
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#16]
ask everyone at work,church and range. pass out cards maybe. someone knows someone who knows someone that is selling a mg. thats how i got my last mg.great price, guy let me shoot it whenever and became real good friends with him.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#17]
You will absolutely fall in love with a Lage'd out M11

Full auto Mac 11 9mm vs. watermelons
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Lot's of good info above.  Since I've been there, done that, here's my two cents.

Get what you really want, but it's important that you get in.  If you want to trade up later, you can consider any MG money in the pool as a down payment on your next gun that tends to appreciate at the same rate as your target gun.  However, if you do plan to trade up later, get something with more mass appeal.  The MACs are always good choices for this.

IMHO, the Lage uppers are stellar on the smaller M11/9 and M11A1 guns.  Not so much on the larger frame M10 guns.  They make a large bulky gun into a very heavy behemoth.  I had one for my M10/45 and sold it off.  The M10s are better in a form closer to stock, possibly with a side cocking upper and a folding stock.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Second the above, get what you want, prices aren't going down.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:42:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you don't have a local shop that happens to have a transferable in stock, where do you start the hunt for a transferable machine gun?

I think I'm ready to make the plunge and get one, but I'm not sure where to start in trying to find one to make the purchase (aside from Gunbroker listings). I'm probably limited to a M10 or M11, but such is the market.
View Quote
I bought both my M11/9 and MAC 10/45 on gunbroker. Both were in state. I'd look there again.

Even if there isn't a local shop, it would be worth your time to find an in state dealer with an in stock gun. Would you rather drive 4-5 hours or wait weeks for out of state form 3 transfer or months for an out of state form 4 transfer?

You should be looking for a SWD M11/9.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top