Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/9/2024 10:31:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: imq707s]
Is there anything better out there for then money than the SilencerCo Sparrow? I think the Silencer Shop has them on sale for $250 right now.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#1]
what hosts will it be used on? what are your main concerns? weight, suppression, frp, cleaning solutions?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By weapons_free:
what hosts will it be used on? what are your main concerns? weight, suppression, frp, cleaning solutions?
View Quote

AR pistol with one of the CNMG .22lr bolt kits in it.  Main concern is cost/clean-ability/sound/size....in that order.   Just looking for something quiet to plink with, and protect the chickens from raccoons/foxes in the middle of the night. Don't want to wake up my neighbors a 1/2 mile away.

It's my first can....trying to do as much research as I can before I buy it.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quite happy with the Sparrow, I have two. One is for a .22 Magnum rifle, the other for 22LR pistols.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By imq707s:

Main concern is cost/clean-ability/sound/size....in that order.
View Quote

My thoughts as an owner of 14 rimfire cans (5 Sparrows, 3 Switchbacks, mixed others) these are my thoughts on the Sparrow:

Cost: The Sparrow is the cheapest all stainless can, even cheaper than many aluminum based competitors. It is built like a tank so cost to durability ratio is very high, you get alot of can for your money. SilencerCo is a large company with great customer service so that is a benefit that falls in the cost category as well.

Clean-Ability: The Sparrow is the easiest to disassemble after being completely filled with lead. The clamshell design works very well. I can take mine apart with my hands even after running it more rounds than I can count on the M16. I can abuse it without any worry I'll be able to get it apart someday.

Sound: The Sparrow will have more first round pop on a pistol length barrel than more modern rimfire cans. That is it's largest drawback. After the first round it is comparable to any other rimfire can when using quality ammunition. For maximum suppression I would use one of my Switchbacks but the Sparrow is good enough I have purchased a few of them as well.

Size: The Sparrow is of comparable size to many great rimfire cans. It weighs slightly more than aluminum cans but is right in line with the stainless cans, and is shorter than many of them as well.

Monocore Side Note: The Sparrow utilizes a monocore design that has the barrel mounting threads integral to it. That means you can install the Sparrow under a handguard/rail and not worry about the endcap staying on the recessed barrel when you remove it, which would cause you to have to remove the rail to get the cap off. This is one of the reasons I run the Sparrow on my M16 with the CMMG 4.5" barrel tucked inside a rail.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#5]
FRP on handguns is the only complaint I have about the Sparrow. If you are ok with that, then it is a good option at a very competitive price.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Sparrow Ti on a 9" dedicated 22LR upper. It is my favorite shooter for now.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:43:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms] [#7]
I think the YHM Phantom is better and about the same price but I'm happy with both.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:46:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#8]
I'm still rocking an aluminum Gen1 Sparrow
Same FRP issue with pistols as gen2, but not a huge issue.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#9]
No Sparrow hate here.  Easy to clean with CLR.  Before that it was a real PITA.

Not the best option on a pistol due to FRP but it's quieter than any of my other cans on rifle (Oculus, Checkmate-HD, Element 3, Mask).  If you're looking pistol, the general winners here are Mask, TD22 and Oculus/Mustang.  TD22 on order.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:56:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LnWlf] [#10]
Another $50 gets you a Hansohn Vidar. I’d recommend that. Use code : thanks

https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/hansohn-brothers/silencers/rimfire/hansohn-vidar22-rimfire-silencer/

I believe these are designed similar to the element II but maybe they could give further input if you ask them on here
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Is there anything better out there for then money than the SilencerCo Sparrow? I think the Silencer Shop has them on sale for $250 right now.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

View Quote

Mask HD
Great FRP. Built like a tank. Full auto rated up to 5.7.

Down side is thats its a bit heavy.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I was hoping to order something from the Silencer Shop.....but they are out of stock or backorder on EVERYTHING rimfire.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
I'm still rocking an aluminum Gen1 Sparrow
View Quote

Same, I've had mine since about 2011ish I think. Never had an issue.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Does anyone know of a place online that has the Sparrow22's in stock?  So far everywhere I've checked it out of stock.....
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#16]

AR pistol with one of the CNMG .22lr bolt kits in it.  Main concern is cost/clean-ability/sound/size....in that order.   Just looking for something quiet to plink with, and protect the chickens from raccoons/foxes in the middle of the night. Don't want to wake up my neighbors a 1/2 mile away.

Thanks!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks!

If I recall correctly, you aren’t supposed to run a rimfire can on a 22 conversion kit with a 223/5.56 barrel. Maybe some others can chime in.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Zac87:

If I recall correctly, you aren’t supposed to run a rimfire can on a 22 conversion kit with a 223/5.56 barrel. Maybe some others can chime in.
View All Quotes

Thanks!

Any info as to why?    Hopefully someone will chime in with more info....
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I was hoping to order something from the Silencer Shop.....but they are out of stock or backorder on EVERYTHING rimfire.

View Quote
Try Capitol Armory. They deliver to your door.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Dead air mask HD
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:26:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#20]

View All Quotes

Thanks!

I know a lot of people that use the conversions with suppressors. I can’t personally think of any of them that have had problems with it.

I’ve also heard a lot of people say you shouldn’t because of stuff like twist rate/bullet diameter.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Thanks!

I've ran a 5.56mm barreled 22LR conversion on an M16 lower without any problems.  No baffle strikes, no real accuracy issues.

I guess I'll find out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#22]
If you can't wait for the Sparrow and don't find what you want somewhere else, I have a few rimfire cans on hand.  Just PM me if you want information.  

This isn't a sales forum, so I don't want to post a list.  Inventory is tight everywhere these days, so if I see it somewhere else, I'll also tell you.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By LnWlf:
Another $50 gets you a Hansohn Vidar. I’d recommend that. Use code : thanks

https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/hansohn-brothers/silencers/rimfire/hansohn-vidar22-rimfire-silencer/

I believe these are designed similar to the element II but maybe they could give further input if you ask them on here
View Quote

I love mine, had the kids blasting away on rifles and sounded like my Mask and td22.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I like mine, I have had it for over 10 years with no issues. As others have mentioned it does have some FRP. I prefer my Mask or Oculus on a pistol.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Why is the Dead Air Mask better than the Sparrow?  It looks like the Mask has individual baffles that come out of the tube....the Sparrow doesn't.      Is the Mask worth another $100+ over the Sparrow?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Why is the Dead Air Mask better than the Sparrow?  It looks like the Mask has individual baffles that come out of the tube....the Sparrow doesn't.      Is the Mask worth another $100+ over the Sparrow?
View Quote

The first round pop is super noticeable on the sparrow.  It's what made me immediately buy another 22 can (element 2).
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Most cans are individual baffles and offer increased sound performance over a monocore design (at least on pistols/short barrels where first round pop can be significant). IMO the Mask is easily worth $100 up-charge.

I recommend buying the can you really want and not "settling" for something because of price. You are stuck with these things and buyer's remorse blows.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Silencershop has the Sparrow in stock now.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a Sparrow at my local shop waiting for the F4 to clear.   Bought it 6 weeks ago from Silencer Shop.   Price at the time was $300.

For a .22 LR rifle, the Sparrow sounds good.   On a pistol you will have some FRP when fired dry.    Mine will be going on a .22 Magnum bolt action, so it's still going to be kinda loud.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By romad99:
Silencershop has the Sparrow in stock now.
View Quote

Nice!! Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Nice!! Thanks!
View Quote

No sweat.  Gotta help each other out, my man.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Nice!! Thanks!

Think I might just have to jump online and order it tonight, and then hit the local SilencerShop Kiosk tomorrow and do my fingerprints.....

I've heard E-forms are coming back in 3-5 days now in some cases??
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Think I might just have to jump online and order it tonight, and then hit the local SilencerShop Kiosk tomorrow and do my fingerprints.....

I've heard E-forms are coming back in 3-5 days now in some cases??
View Quote

Correct.  Had two come back this morning for customers.  4 days and 5 days for those ones.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Just went ahead and ordered my Sparrow22 from Silencer Shop last night...on sale for $279.  Hard to beat that.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#35]
You did absolutely fine w that Sparrow. I have one among 6 other 22 silencers, I like it for what it is, so will you, and I can echo everything posters here have said about it. You will be pleased and you WILL want more so start budgeting now for more cans.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Swung by my LGS and used their Silencer Shop Kiosk. Man that was easy......prints and info taken, out the door in about 5min. Now I wait......
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Just don’t get a mono core. I learned my lesson on that with a Gemtech GM-22. Had to sent it back to Smith and Wesson to get it apart. They had to destroy the core to get it out. But it was a free repair and free shipping both ways.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Just went ahead and ordered my Sparrow22 from Silencer Shop last night...on sale for $279.  Hard to beat that.
View Quote

Nice job OP. I hope you really enjoy it once you get it out of jail-which lately isn't a very long wait.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Mav3rick:

Nice job OP. I hope you really enjoy it once you get it out of jail-which lately isn't a very long wait.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mav3rick:

One of the guys I work with filed the efile Form4 a few weeks ago. He said it took 4 days to get it approved!!  Crazy!

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Shadyman:
Just don’t get a mono core. I learned my lesson on that with a Gemtech GM-22. Had to sent it back to Smith and Wesson to get it apart. They had to destroy the core to get it out. But it was a free repair and free shipping both ways.
View Quote

The Sparrow is only sold as a monocore. Unlike the GM-22 (which I also own), the Sparrow has two clamshells that keep the core from sealing with lead to the outer tube. The clamshells allow the outer tube to slide off of the core assembly, no threading or turning is necessary. The GM-22 is just a tube threaded onto the core so any lead that sticks to the inside of the tube prevents it from being able to be spun off of the core.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Switchback_Arms:
I think the YHM Phantom is better and about the same price but I'm happy with both.
View Quote
My brother has a sparrow, and I just got the phantom 22. I think you can't go wrong either way.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I recently got a sparrow. It’s a good can and will serve you well. Congrats
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quick question........

So I went to the LGS and used the Silencer Shop Kiosk to complete the info for the E-File Form 4 (finger prints, photo, answer questions, etc)....and it said all was good.

On the Silencer Shop website is says that after all of that is complete, they are supposed to email me some sort of form for an E-Signature.  How long does that usually take? Days? Weeks?  Just wondering......haven't seen anything yet.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:57:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quick question........

So I went to the LGS and used the Silencer Shop Kiosk to complete the info for the E-File Form 4 (finger prints, photo, answer questions, etc)....and it said all was good.

On the Silencer Shop website is says that after all of that is complete, they are supposed to email me some sort of form for an E-Signature.  How long does that usually take? Days? Weeks?  Just wondering......haven't seen anything yet.

Thanks!

View Quote
My last two have gotten a submission confirmation email within 10-15 minutes of submission.  Approval has been four days (4) days on both.

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a DA Mask. I like it. Only reason I bought it was the lack of first round pop.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quick question........

Thanks!

View Quote

It took longer for F troop to approve the form 3 transfer than it did to approve my form 4 transfer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By ThePitbullofLove:
My last two have gotten a submission confirmation email within 10-15 minutes of submission.  Approval has been four days (4) days on both.

YMMV
View All Quotes
Quick question........

Thanks!

YMMV

Yeah...that's why I'm a little nervous. I did all my form 4 stuff last Friday, and as of right now....still no email back from silencer shop showing confirmation....or that DocuSign email I'm supposed to get them them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#49]

Yeah...that's why I'm a little nervous. I did all my form 4 stuff last Friday, and as of right now....still no email back from silencer shop showing confirmation....or that DocuSign email I'm supposed to get them them.
View Quote
Is your FFL and possession of the suppressor? If it's not been shipped to your FFL you won't get that  docusign until then. It has to be certified.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Quick question........

Thanks!

YMMV

I bought a suppressor last week from a local shop that uses their kiosk. Paid for the can Wednesday 4/10, they already had my prints and info. Got an email Friday 4/12 from silencer shop saying I needed an updated photo, uploaded that through their portal. Got an email today 4/15 at 10am pst saying my status was updated, the compliance team reviewed my info and to wait for a “ready to certify” email.  Got the ready to certify email with the Docusign link at 7pm.

I don’t know how much if at all the old photo held up the process but if my timeline is representative you may have a couple more days.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top