Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2017 5:40:00 PM EDT
I came across this in an article today by Dean Weingarten via Ammoland from a few weeks back:

"As a tax item, it [The HPA] could be included in a budget reconciliation bill, which is exempt from the 60 vote filibuster in the Senate.  Avoiding the Senate filibuster may not be necessary.  The bill is widely popular.  There are about 100 million firearms owners in the United States. A bill that positively affects the health and safety of 30% of the population should be popular. Even the partisan Washington Post article on the bill had a hard time finding serious opposition."

I did NOT know a Budget Reconciliation Bill is exempt from the 60 vote Filibuster.

Here is the link to the full article:
New Hearing Protection Act same as old HPA; Both in Top Ten for Attention

If this is true, the HPA is a done deal. The House passes it with ease either as stand alone legislation or in a Budget Reconciliation Bill as described above. The Senate passes it as a either as stand alone legislation (possibly difficult) or as described above (not difficult). In the Senate, the simple majority vote (51) is totally there. President signs. Am I missing something?

Also do you realize that these Democratic Senators listed below often vote "Yea" on 2A issues:
Joe Donnelly (Ind)
Martin Heinrich (NM)
Heidi Heitkamp (ND)
Joe Manchin (WV)
Claire McCaskill (MO)
Jon Tester (MT)
Tom Udall (NM)
Mark Warner (VA)
Michael Bennett (CO)

The reality is these Dems decision on the HPA will be heavily influenced by WHEN they are up for re-election I suspect. Assuming the 52 Republican Senators vote "Yea", 8 of the 9 Dems would have to vote "Yea" to get to 60. But with a Tax Bill there is no filibuster. So all they need is 51 votes in the Senate. I don't see how the HPA can NOT pass. Again, am I missing something here? This only strengthens my belief that the HPA is a done deal.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Fingers crossed, but not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think the HPA is a done deal.  The chances of it dying in committee are high given the large number of more pressing legislative goals for the current administration.  Silencers are still a niche segment of the firearms industry as a whole and I just don't think there is enough relevance to make it a center-point issue this year.  

My opinion is that it will not get passed this year and maybe not even this session.  I hope that I am wrong.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm calling at least a year, if it passes at all.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The problem with reconciliation, as I understand it, is that the HPA would have to be at least revenue neutral after 10 years because of the Byrd Rule. And then we get back to the leftist CBO and it's ridiculously inaccurate scoring.

JPK
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Biggest problem I see is that the Congress hasn't done jack in 3 months and summer vacation is right around the corner. They had 8 years to get ready and didn't bother.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Biggest problem I see is that the Congress hasn't done jack in 3 months and summer vacation is right around the corner. They had 8 years to get ready and didn't bother.
View Quote
I'm no fan of our Republican lead House or Senate, but, in their defense, they have done more than is publicized or apparent. And of course the leftist are doing their best to gum things up, slow walking appointments, etc, which eats time...

On the other hand, they were totally f'in surprised by Trump's victory. They need to stop listening to the leftist press, Republican Establishment, which actually leans left, and get out of the cities and the Beltway for a drive around the rest of the country.

JPK
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The problem with reconciliation, as I understand it, is that the HPA would have to be at least revenue neutral after 10 years because of the Byrd Rule. And then we get back to the leftist CBO and it's ridiculously inaccurate scoring.

JPK
View Quote
Could you elaborate on the revenue neutral issue?  
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#8]
If you google "Byrd Rule" you will find a nice, concise explanation. I would post a link but don't know how to do it on the iPad I am typing on.

Here's my short try: Anything brought to a vote under reconciliation is subject to being blocked by one Senator's objection if it is either extraneous or if it isn't at least revenue neutral after ten years. There are caveats...

But, as an example, if you recall the W Bush tax cuts, they sunset at 10yrs to avoid the Byrd Rule.

JPK
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The reality is these Dems decision on the HPA will be heavily influenced by WHEN they are up for re-election I suspect. Assuming the 52 Republican Senators vote "Yea", 8 of the 9 Dems would have to vote "Yea" to get to 60. But with a Tax Bill there is no filibuster. So all they need is 51 50 votes in the Senate. I don't see how the HPA can NOT pass. Again, am I missing something here? This only strengthens my belief that the HPA is a done deal.
View Quote
You only need 50, right?  Unless I am missing something.  I think Pence would break the tie.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Aaaaand welcome to news from MONTHS ago. People have been saying this for a very long time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#11]
From what I have been seeing the HPA has been sent forward to different committees and one is the "ways and means committee" and another is finance and they are both tied up in unraveling the Obama Care mess.  So before HPA will ever get a formal chance more pressing issues for the president and government will be placed first.  I would like to see the HPA pass but I am not waiting around on it and let it deter any current suppressor purchases for me because if it ever passes suppressors will sell out the day it passes and will be hard to find for a while except for resale which will be double the current prices.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I did NOT know a Budget Reconciliation Bill is exempt from the 60 vote Filibuster.
View Quote

yep, they are also using to gut ObamaCare.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:47:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Basically it has to be added to another bill (unlikely) or wait until after the mid-term elections (sometime 2019) at which point it will have to be reintroduced.  But miracles do happen I guess.
View Quote
IMO, it will be part of the tax cuts, which will be part of the budget reconciliation process, so it will be both added to a larger bill and go through reconciliation. (There are caveats in the Byrd Rule, but it would take Republican balls, which are ever shrinking it seems.) if I'm right, late summer into the fall... part of the "200 Day Plan."
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:04:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:18:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Also do you realize that these Democratic Senators listed below often vote "Yea" on 2A issues:
Joe Donnelly (Ind)
Martin Heinrich (NM)
Heidi Heitkamp (ND)
Joe Manchin (WV)
Claire McCaskill (MO)
Jon Tester (MT)
Tom Udall (NM)
Mark Warner (VA)
Michael Bennett (CO)
View Quote

Could have fooled me. She's been a lost cause as long as I've been writing her. If McCaskill votes "yea" on a gun bill you can be sure the measure is bad for gun owners.

Key votes
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Since Trump is open to regulatory reform, the best short term solution would be for him to rescind Rule 41F while at the same time eliminating the CLEO sign-off and fingerprint card submission requirements for individuals.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:49:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:52:57 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since Trump is open to regulatory reform, the best short term solution would be for him to rescind Rule 41F while at the same time eliminating the CLEO sign-off and fingerprint card submission requirements for individuals.
https://i.imgflip.com/85j5j.jpg
I know. It's a bit too simplistic. 
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Byrd Rule is the problem though since it allows senators to block provisions of reconciliation bills easily.  For a lot more information, check out this Introduction to Budget Reconciliation.
View Quote
I looked at your link but didn't read the whole thing closely. I'm sure it's in there somewhere, but I didn't see the feature of the Byrd Rule that would allow the Republicans - if they would grow some nuts - to overcome an inevitable leftists, stateist democrat objection, and that is that when a Byrd Rule objection is raised the presiding member must consult with the Parlimentarian but is not bound by the Parlimentarian's determination. So, the presiding member, who will be a Republican, can override the objection regardless of whether it is unfounded or well founded. I saw a note somewhere that no presiding member has used this tool since the Congressional Budget Act was passed though.

There will be two budget resolutions this fiscal year. One to undo Obummer Care, one for the tax cuts. So there is time.

IMO, what is clear is that the HPA has to move BEFORE the midterm elections.

JPK
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://i.imgflip.com/85j5j.jpg
The 41f regulations could be changed, but it would take at least six months and more likely a year to a year and a half from the time a revised provision was drafted because of notice and comment requirements of the Administrative Procedures Act. I suspect that the idea is to get HPA passed by then.

JPK
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you google "Byrd Rule" you will find a nice, concise explanation. I would post a link but don't know how to do it on the iPad I am typing on.

Here's my short try: Anything brought to a vote under reconciliation is subject to being blocked by one Senator's objection if it is either extraneous or if it isn't at least revenue neutral after ten years. There are caveats...

But, as an example, if you recall the W Bush tax cuts, they sunset at 10yrs to avoid the Byrd Rule.

JPK
View Quote
The HPA will easily be revenue neutral - we pay $200 for the stamp, but think about all the time and energy spent processing the paperwork, conducting and reviewing the backgrounds, etc.

Snip, snip - eliminate both.  Probably a net positive at .gov rates.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:21:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#24]
The bill can be reintroduced in the Congress after the midterms, but my concern is that Republicans loose seats, and therefore, assuming a majority in the House and SenTe is maintained, nuts shrink even more.

They could have pushed 41f through faster and still met APA requirements, but I suspect that even the ATF was reluctant and that it's final implementation was at the explicit direction of Obummer's leftist, stateist minions.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#25]
The most important reason it will pass has nothing to do with rules or Dem's insider politics. It has legs now because the industry groups pushing it have the backing of two of President Trumps son's who are avid sportsmen and they both want it. Don't ever underestimate the value of Presidential insiders pressing for things to make them happen. Budget reconciliation is just one of the vehicle's that can be used to get it through the Senate and onto the Presidents desk.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Some are saying the HPA could be added to a tax bill.  I just don't see that happening.  Yes, it would be the fastest way to pass the bill but I would think the potential negative implications by unwaining democrats for having something positive gun related attached to a larger bill would smash that idea.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Make it Revenue Neutral by removing 922o.

I can dream right...
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
QFT!!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Hahahahahaha.  It will never pass.  I love the enthusiasm though
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Could have fooled me. She's been a lost cause as long as I've been writing her. If McCaskill votes "yea" on a gun bill you can be sure the measure is bad for gun owners.

Key votes
View Quote
Same comment for Mark Warner.  Not sure who's list that is, but it is not very accurate on their 2A position.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So can anyone find any interview where any Trump has talked about silencers or HPA outside of the interview with SilencerCo?
View Quote
IMO, it would be best for HPA if neither of them gave interviews on the topic. Since neither is .gov if/when HPA does come up their favorable or unfavorable comments would be used against HPA as either a nepotism type accusation or as evidence that even the Trump boys think its a bad idea (which they don't.)

As far as their interest in seeing HPA pass, it is there.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Some are saying the HPA could be added to a tax bill.  I just don't see that happening.  Yes, it would be the fastest way to pass the bill but I would think the potential negative implications by unwaining democrats for having something positive gun related attached to a larger bill would smash that idea.
View Quote
I understand what you're saying, but the leftist will be whining so loud about "tax cuts for the rich" about every aspect of the proposed cuts that I think it might raise little notice, or be lost in the general whining.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The HPA will easily be revenue neutral - we pay $200 for the stamp, but think about all the time and energy spent processing the paperwork, conducting and reviewing the backgrounds, etc.

Snip, snip - eliminate both.  Probably a net positive at .gov rates.
View Quote
Using the data available, which predates 41f and does not break out Form 1s and Form 4s processed and doesn't give any information on O/T or temporary, contract workers used to process forms, the $200 stamp appears to be a money maker for the US Treasury.

It would be great if 41f turned that around to a net boondoggle, given the "adding trustees after approval is OK" proof that ATF thinks photo, fingerprints and a background check are unnecessary for NFA items possession and use from any perspective.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't understand how this bill can die in committee (from a logical standpoint, I understand identity politics).  It should spend ONE DAY there.  There is ZERO actual downside to the HPA.  There is no way the cost of enforcing the NFA is offset by $200 tax stamps.  The ONLY reason to oppose the HPA is to put on a dog and pony show of not letting those dirty racist republicans get away with anything.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Aaaaand welcome to news from MONTHS ago. People have been saying this for a very long time.
View Quote
What people have been saying for a LONG time is that the HPA could be added to a tax Bill as a way to get it through under the radar, or tied to other Budget related items that both parties want passed. To pass those the Dems would let the HPA slip through.

What I didn't realize, and I suspect many others didn't realize, a Budget Reconciliation Bill (Tax Bill) is NOT subject to a Filibuster. So only a simply majority is needed to pass. I know your knowledge of the US tax code and inner workings of Congress are way beyond ours, and you already know all about this, but give a brother a chance to catch up.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What people have been saying for a LONG time is that the HPA could be added to a tax Bill as a way to get it through under the radar, or tied to other Budget related items that both parties want passed. To pass those the Dems would let the HPA slip through.

What I didn't realize, and I suspect many others didn't realize, a Budget Reconciliation Bill (Tax Bill) is NOT subject to a Filibuster. So only a simply majority is needed to pass. I know your knowledge of the US tax code and inner workings of Congress are way beyond ours, and you already know all about this, but give a brother a chance to catch up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, that's exactly what people have been saying for months on this forum. You described it very well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So can anyone find any interview where any Trump has talked about silencers or HPA outside of the interview with SilencerCo?
View Quote
No, and I do not in any way, shape, or form translate Trumpy Junior chatting with SilencerCo as an indication that he has daddy's blessing.  People are putting waaaaaay too many eggs in that basket.

"Insider"? Pssssh.  Donald J. does what Donald J. wants to do.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just for clarification, not all tax bills or provisions, or any other provision in a reconciliation bill, are free from a sixty vote requirement. That is why you ought to read up on the Byrd Rule.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No, and I do not in any way, shape, or form translate Trumpy Junior chatting with SilencerCo as an indication that he has daddy's blessing.  People are putting waaaaaay too many eggs in that basket.

"Insider"? Pssssh.  Donald J. does what Donald J. wants to do.
View Quote
Why do you think President Trump is pro 2A? Where he grew up, has spent his adulthood and calls home? Not hardly, it comes from his sons.

Can his sons push legislation? No. But there are plenty of cosponsors who ought to be doing that. It doesn't hurt to have the President's sons mentioning the HPA to him so it doesn't get overlooked though, right?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Well that's that...Half-a-brain and her minions are against it! love their logic:

" A.R.S. suggests the devices do not reduce noise enough to protect hearing while simultaneously suggesting suppressors reduce noise so much that “active shooters” can use them to avoid police detection."

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/03/17/gabby-giffords-mark-kelly-target-arizona-new-gun-control-group/
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Not to be a party pooper, but it's never gonna pass. The HPA will die in committee stage.

It's not just me saying that. PredictGov gives it a  4% chance to pass.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Not to be a party pooper, but it's never gonna pass. The HPA will die in committee stage.

It's not just me saying that. PredictGov gives it a  <a href="https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr367" target="_blank">4% chance to pass</a>.
View Quote

That's about where I'm at on it.

I think we got tossed a bone to gnaw on and keep us quiet, but the bill isn't going anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm all for making suppressors as common and legal as rakes and shovels but if I were a Congressman I'd be asking myself "What's the up side for voting for this?" Unless they have an overwhelming number of constituents demanding passage they've got to figure most of their voters don't know anything about the issue, don't care about the issue and probably won't understand why they voted to make silencers legal. How many want to have to defend a yes vote to the local (liberal) newspaper and the average voter who still thinks that suppressors are the tool of assassins?

Again, don't try to convince me about silencers. I get it. I'm just saying most Congressmen don't want to join a fight that they see no advantage to joining. Remember, they have to go home and justify their vote. If they're not true believers they're going to figure why bother.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm all for making suppressors as common and legal as rakes and shovels but if I were a Congressman I'd be asking myself "What's the up side for voting for this?" Unless they have an overwhelming number of constituents demanding passage they've got to figure most of their voters don't know anything about the issue, don't care about the issue and probably won't understand why they voted to make silencers legal. How many want to have to defend a yes vote to the local (liberal) newspaper and the average voter who still thinks that suppressors are the tool of assassins?

Again, don't try to convince me about silencers. I get it. I'm just saying most Congressmen don't want to join a fight that they see no advantage to joining. Remember, they have to go home and justify their vote. If they're not true believers they're going to figure why bother.
View Quote
I agree.  Most people could care less about suppressors.  I wish they would vote YES on it!  But your point is a good one.  Hopefully they shoot guns as well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I agree.  Most people could care less about suppressors.  I wish they would vote YES on it!  But your point is a good one.  Hopefully they shoot guns as well.
View Quote
Agree with all the above.  Excellent points.
Suppressors are about as well regarded as MGs in the eyes of the general voting public. Thank Hollywood.
We more enlightened types are a small group.

As far as waiting for HPA to pass: I'm mailing three $200 checks out next week.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
That would be the true definition of MAGA......what I would give for him to do that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#48]
I think some of those Democratic Senators are starting to see the writing on the wall. Many of their states had a big Trump turnout. They should have gotten off the Obama train from the get go. Hope they all lose their seats and they abolish the 1934 gun act on up.

Quoted:
I came across this in an article today by Dean Weingarten via Ammoland from a few weeks back:

"As a tax item, it [The HPA] could be included in a budget reconciliation bill, which is exempt from the 60 vote filibuster in the Senate.  Avoiding the Senate filibuster may not be necessary.  The bill is widely popular.  There are about 100 million firearms owners in the United States. A bill that positively affects the health and safety of 30% of the population should be popular. Even the partisan Washington Post article on the bill had a hard time finding serious opposition."

Here is the link to the full article:
New Hearing Protection Act same as old HPA; Both in Top Ten for Attention

If this is true, the HPA is a done deal. The House passes it with ease either as stand alone legislation or in a Budget Reconciliation Bill as described above. The Senate passes it as a either as stand alone legislation (possibly difficult) or as described above (not difficult). In the Senate, the simple majority vote (51) is totally there. President signs. Am I missing something?

Joe Donnelly (Ind)
Martin Heinrich (NM)
Heidi Heitkamp (ND)
Joe Manchin (WV)
Claire McCaskill (MO)
Jon Tester (MT)
Tom Udall (NM)
Mark Warner (VA)
Michael Bennett (CO)

The reality is these Dems decision on the HPA will be heavily influenced by WHEN they are up for re-election I suspect. Assuming the 52 Republican Senators vote "Yea", 8 of the 9 Dems would have to vote "Yea" to get to 60. But with a Tax Bill there is no filibuster. So all they need is 51 votes in the Senate. I don't see how the HPA can NOT pass. Again, am I missing something here? This only strengthens my belief that the HPA is a done deal.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
So then why does the HPA have 125 Sponsors in the House? Including 5 Democrats. That pretty much shoots down everything you are saying above.

H.R. 367 Co-Sponsors
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:21:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So then why does the HPA have 125 Sponsors in the House? Including 5 Democrats. That pretty much shoots down everything you are saying above.

H.R. 367 Co-Sponsors
View Quote
Wow, remarkable! I still haven't got a reply from my republican congresswoman and I don't see her on the list. Kind of a dang shame, considering Cuellar, a Dem and my old rep when I lived down south, is on there.

ETA: I only see 2 dem cosponsors on there. Where did 5 come from?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top