Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2017 8:59:55 AM EDT
I'm purchasing a 16 bcm upper middy and sooner or later I would like to change the muzzle device and add an adapter with a suppressor. Any suggestions on what to get for a 16 inch middy. Or will a 14.5 midlength be better
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Either would be fine, but unless it's an SBR, the muzzle device on the 14.5" would need to be permanent.
IMO, SBR is only worthwhile if you're going truly short.

There's a ton of good suppressors. Griffin, Dead Air, Rugged, AAC. Figure out which one you can get most easily and use that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The Gemtech Quickmount system is a great choice for a suppressor.

I have Quickmounts on SBR, 16", and my 7.62 sniper rifles.  I can then use the Gemtech One on all three rifles with a simple push and quarter turn.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Either would be fine, but unless it's an SBR, the muzzle device on the 14.5" would need to be permanent.
IMO, SBR is only worthwhile if you're going truly short.

There's a ton of good suppressors. Griffin, Dead Air, Rugged, AAC. Figure out which one you can get most easily and use that.
View Quote

Not going for the sbr route. It's mainly for target plinking and shtf
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have Quickmounts on SBR, 16", and my 7.62 sniper rifles.  I can then use the Gemtech One on all three rifles with a simple push and quarter turn.
View Quote

Would I need to replace my current muzzle device to use it
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Amtac has some great direct thread suppressors, they are also over the barrel so they don't add more than 3-4'' to you OAL
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Griffin M4SD 2 would be my recommendation. Mounts to most A1 and A2 bird cage flash hiders, as well as Griffin's own mounts.

The suppressor comes with their hammer comp, shims for timing it, as well as the overtravel stop and a pouch. The hammer comp is pretty nice, reduces flash adequately and adds an extra blast baffle to increase service life of the suppressor, which is a nice bonus.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Omega on a 14.5 and have been very happy.  I looked at the M4SD II and think it's a really good option, especially with the locking gate mount.  At some point I'll probably switch the ASR mount and go with the Dead Air Key-Mo for the Omega.  FWIW, the Omega is 6" and 14oz and works great with my 14.5.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you wanted to use the Quickmount version... yes.  They also make the Halo which mounts over a standard A2 flash hider.... in which case you would not need to change your muzzle device.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have the Omega on a 14.5 and have been very happy.  I looked at the M4SD II and think it's a really good option, especially with the locking gate mount.  At some point I'll probably switch the ASR mount and go with the Dead Air Key-Mo for the Omega.  FWIW, the Omega is 6" and 14oz and works great with my 14.5.
View Quote

This is what I use with an ASR. I use it on 5.56 (10 inch, 14.5 inch, 18 inch), 300 BO 8 inch, .308 20 inch barrel. I have used an Omega on select fire and it works well. Its a great can.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm purchasing a 16 bcm upper middy and sooner or later I would like to change the muzzle device and add an adapter with a suppressor. Any suggestions on what to get for a 16 inch middy. Or will a 14.5 midlength be better
View Quote

I'm quite partial as I have a Surefire SOCOM RC2 and Silencer Co Saker. Either one of those would be mu recommendation. You will have to switch your muzzle device to the respective company of suppressor. But that's not to say there aren't plenty of other good options out there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#11]
When you pick the suppressor you want then you can pick the mount. It's kind of useless to speculate what suppressor to get because there are always new designs. I could say look at Rugged, Q, Dead Air, Silencer Co, Gemtech, AAC, Griffin Armament, Surefire, Gemtech, YHM, Knights Armament, and a bunch of others. You can pick based off a mount, build materials, size, weight, chasing decibels, accuracy.

You never even said what caliber you're  trying to suppress. I can only assume 5.56, it doesn't suppress that well but it is still fun. I guess a recommendation would be the AAC M4-2000. But then again I don't know how far in the future you're looking to purchase. I will tell you that a rimfire can is a blast to shoot and if I did my purchases over again I would have started there. I'm only 12x tax stamps deep. Not as many as a lot of people out there.

Also you would get a better response in the suppressor forum in the Armory tab.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys sorry I posted this topic in the wrong section. I wasn't expecting it to be moved
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Email sent with options.

Thanks
Steve
RTLW
816-718-9489
View Quote

Can you please pm me instead
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Just recently swapped my BCM 16" to a SOLGW 14.5". On a 19oz can it made a night and day difference. Unless you're doing precision shooting there's no reason to go 14.5"+ IMHO. Plus my 16" BCM ML barrel was super gassy. The balance was awful also. Griffin makes already built 14.5" uppers. So does BCM, just pick your mount from their drop down. They install surefire brakes that will work with surefires line of suppressors.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just recently swapped my BCM 16" to a SOLGW 14.5". On a 19oz can it made a night and day difference. Unless you're doing precision shooting there's no reason to go 14.5"+ IMHO. Plus my 16" BCM ML barrel was super gassy. The balance was awful also. Griffin makes already built 14.5" uppers. So does BCM, just pick your mount from their drop down. They install surefire brakes that will work with surefires line of suppressors.
View Quote

Hmm. That's the first time I've heard a midlength 16 being gassy. So what you're saying is I'm better off with a 14.5 unless I'm doing precision shooting. I forgot to mention I'll be using it for varmint hunting without said suppressor. If that makes any difference
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Hmm. That's the first time I've heard a midlength 16 being gassy. So what you're saying is I'm better off with a 14.5 unless I'm doing precision shooting. I forgot to mention I'll be using it for varmint hunting without said suppressor. If that makes any difference
View Quote

Yeah I was surprised as well, I mean you can do whatever you want. But if I could go back I would have done a 14.5" upper vs the 16". With the 14.5 you're still gonna have plenty of enough accuracy for varmint hunting.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:22:39 AM EDT
[#18]
A thing to consider is that we now have a number of .30 cal cans available that sound good on 5.56.

If you don't yet have a rifle can, I would probably not get a 5.56 can as a first one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

If it's legal to hunt with a suppressor there's not really a reason to remove it. Most of the time they are neutral or improve accuracy if you believe what you read on the internet. A pinned 14.5" is just exposing yourself to more cost (in the event you want to swap muzzle devices in the future) for almost no gain over a 16". Accuracy, reliability and ergonomically that 1.5" makes very little difference. If you don't want to deal with an SBR right now (I don't blame you given the current wait times) just get a 16" midlength upper so you're free to swap muzzle devices at will. Just don't get any friends with 10.5"-12.5" SBRs or you'll be filling out a form 1 before you realize it.

The popular (on here at least) suppressor names have been thrown out but there are a few other companies worth considering: A coworker owns a few TBAC (Thunder Beast Arms Co) cans and loves them. SAS suppressors is also a bit of a dark horse but their customer base is solid. I think their products are viewed as more for precision bolt guns, but they both offer mount or direct thread options. Not all of the SAS cans are full auto rated but you don't have a MG either...
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:56:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If it's legal to hunt with a suppressor there's not really a reason to remove it. Most of the time they are neutral or improve accuracy if you believe what you read on the internet. A pinned 14.5" is just exposing yourself to more cost (in the event you want to swap muzzle devices in the future) for almost no gain over a 16". Accuracy, reliability and ergonomically that 1.5" makes very little difference. If you don't want to deal with an SBR right now (I don't blame you given the current wait times) just get a 16" midlength upper so you're free to swap muzzle devices at will. Just don't get any friends with 10.5"-12.5" SBRs or you'll be filling out a form 1 before you realize it.

The popular (on here at least) suppressor names have been thrown out but there are a few other companies worth considering: A coworker owns a few TBAC (Thunder Beast Arms Co) cans and loves them. SAS suppressors is also a bit of a dark horse but their customer base is solid. I think their products are viewed as more for precision bolt guns, but they both offer mount or direct thread options. Not all of the SAS cans are full auto rated but you don't have a MG either...
View Quote

Thanks I'll just stick with the 16 middy from bcm. I don't know if it will be too heavy, bulky or look stupid with a suppressor on.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:12:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Amtac has some great direct thread suppressors, they are also over the barrel so they don't add more than 3-4'' to you OAL
View Quote

I really want that suppressor but I don't know if it's compatible with the 16 midlength from bcm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top