Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2016 4:30:24 PM EDT
Here is an accuracy report from my last shooting trip. This is the Ruger American Rimfire 22LR (Model 8334) at 100 yards using CCI SV.  All shots were fired from a rest and under the same hot Texas conditions.  Although I was surprised the Spectre II bested the Mask HD by so much, the Mask is still a great, light, short suppressor and I’m happy to own it.  When I have more time I will shoot an entire page of three-shot groups instead of just one, because this was far from a scientific test.  This trip was primarily a hog hunt and I just took a little time to shoot rimfire.

Unsuppressed: 1.06”
Spectre II: 0.76”
Mask HD: 1.35”

Link Posted: 8/5/2016 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 8334 is the one with no sights and the oversized bolt handle, right? I keep thinking about grabbing one.
View Quote

That is the one. It is the tits.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Just ordered that rifle in 17Hmr today. I have both of those silencers in jail as well. Looks good with the Spectre on it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 12:09:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Two 10 shot groups @ 50 yds

Link Posted: 8/6/2016 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Are each of those boxes 1/2"?
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Two 10 shot groups @ 50 yds
PWS Summit
View Quote

Just that action is more than the OP's rifle, hell your bipod is too.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Yet it appears to be only half as accurate. Id like to see the same rifle shot unsuppressed for comparison.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yet it appears to be only half as accurate. Id like to see the same rifle shot unsuppressed for comparison.
View Quote

This was my first range trip with this new rifle. I sighted in the scope, then shot these two groups as quick as possible, not slow fire. I spent the majority of time shooting my SCAR that morning. I'm sure the rifle is capable of better groups with better ammo. Gemtech subs aren't exactly match grade. I'll shoot some groups without the can for comparison and post them here later.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shoot a 10 shot group and report back.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 8334 is the one with no sights and the oversized bolt handle, right? I keep thinking about grabbing one.

Mine got delivered to my FFL yesterday and will also host a Spectre II.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 7:01:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they come threaded?
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do they come threaded?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they come threaded?

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Do they come threaded?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they come threaded?

Yep, threaded from the factory.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 7:31:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Primo accuracy test boss.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Spent 6 hours at the range today sighting in irons and optics for 4 different rifles. Before I left, I shot a couple unsuppressed and a couple suppressed 10 shot groups for this thread. Drinking Red Bull obviously wasn't the best choice for shooting groups. It was damn hot and that's all I had left to drink. Had a couple flyers that opened up my groups.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:22:28 PM EDT
[#17]
That bottom right group was looking great.  Do you think those three outside were fliers?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:23:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That bottom right group was looking great.  Do you think those three outside were fliers?
View Quote

That was the last group I fired.
I think they were. The two in the grey for sure. I had a guy next to me shooting a 30-378 Weatherby with a brake. That sure didn't help.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:11:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Please shoot 5 round groups next time so you give us meaningful data.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:33:20 AM EDT
[#20]
http://www.bing.com/search?q=barrel+harmonics+and+accuracy+explained&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IESR02

Barrels will respond differently to adding weight/length to them as it impacts their harmonics.  Anyone who hand loads can explain this far better than me.  Your barrel doesn't like the length/weight of the Mask with that particular ammo.  Doesn't mean the Mask itself is inherently inaccurate, or that the Specter II is more accurate.  You can just as likely find another rifle out there where this test would have inverse results.  I think that has been proven already in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
http://www.bing.com/search?q=barrel+harmonics+and+accuracy+explained&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IESR02

Barrels will respond differently to adding weight/length to them as it impacts their harmonics.  Anyone who hand loads can explain this far better than me.  Your barrel doesn't like the length/weight of the Mask with that particular ammo.  Doesn't mean the Mask itself is inherently inaccurate, or that the Specter II is more accurate.  You can just as likely find another rifle out there where this test would have inverse results.  I think that has been proven already in this thread.
View Quote

Exactly.  Sometimes a particular combination just doesn't work well together.  Doesn't mean the ammo, gun or can aren't accurate, just not that particular combination.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I will next time. May be a few weeks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I've got the exact setup, 8334 with Spectre II. Here some groups I shot yesterday 5 rounds at 50 yards.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've got the exact setup, 8334 with Spectre II. Here some groups I shot yesterday 5 rounds at 50 yards.
View Quote

I'm getting those accuracy numbers at twice this distance.  What ammo are you trying here?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:57:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm getting those accuracy numbers at twice this distance.  What ammo are you trying here?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think that statement is true. Shoot something other than one 3 round group and post those results.

ETA: I could have posted several 1/4" 3 round groups if I stopped shooting there. But that wouldn't show any real indication of accuracy now would it?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:39:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Huh?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Huh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

5 shot groups seem to be the industry standard for accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#28]
5 is better than 3 but still not as statistically significant as 10. Nothing wrong with 10 round groups at all, other than their size tends to be a little bigger which nobody seems to like.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
5 is better than 3 but still not as statistically significant as 10. Nothing wrong with 10 round groups at all, other than their size tends to be a little bigger which nobody seems to like.
View Quote

I'm more in this camp(10>5>3), particularly given that different people are shooting the groups.  Honestly, when I get around to shooting the groups myself, the raw groups size will be meaningless- I'm not that great a shot.  I'm just hoping to do well enough that we will see a difference w/ and w/o the cans.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#30]
When looking at the calipers, don't forget to subtract one bullet diameter to get groups size since group size is center to center of the furthest two shots apart.

So those are all pretty much right around 1/2" groups at 50ys.

I suspect that searching for the load that really works with your rifle would reduce the groups size, but to me those are pretty nice.

How is the trigger on the rifle?

A lot of people shoot better on the internet than at the range and not a lot of groups see an "in the flesh" caliper either.

JPK
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:35:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

He likely meant to quote or is referring to the OP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top