Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 7/31/2015 4:24:57 PM EDT
LaRue Silencer?

I know there have been hints, but is this the first time we've seen anything? Is this why "tomorrow is going to be busy"?

ETA: Obviously not my picture-
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
huh, consider this a tag for ol Mark
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool anyone want to guess a price tag?  $2500?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Good question.

$8700?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Good question.

$8700?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question.

$8700?

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good question.

$8700?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question.

$8700?

I gave him enough flak in the siq exploded can thread about weight and such. I'm sure if this is legit, he did it right.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I have no doubt it'll be nice. I just doubt I'll be able to afford one.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Is this the one that has two sets of threads timed to each other and two shoulders on the mounting adapter?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Good question.

$8700?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good question.

$8700?

Come on now, Mark Larue makes good stuff but he's no Jesse James.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
LaRue Silencer?

I know there have been hints, but is this the first time we've seen anything? Is this why "tomorrow is going to be busy"?

ETA: Obviously not my picture-
http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r714/adamtheduke/A0AA85FC-5AC7-4404-BAC8-597D5DEC114F_zps0zomkmzq.jpg
View Quote

Came here to post the same thing.  Interested in the details.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question.

$8700?

Funny and very true. Pass...
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Old news....
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I hear that if you say his name 3 times he'll appear and possibly answer the question.

Mark Larue, Mark Larue, Mark Larue...
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not surprised they've made a can. It would be nice to hear about it from them though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#15]
You know, a suppressor giveaway would get some attention. And I can't think of a more deserving group of people than those here in the Suppressor Forum.  Those pure GD people don't appreciate a good can when they see one.

(Mark here yet?)
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Duplicate post
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Old news....
View Quote

Only person I trust with news like this
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Old news....
View Quote

Link? I know there were hints in the thread about the Sig suppressor failing, but this is the first picture I've seen.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

$500, but only available to MIL & LE like the SPOTR....
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Link? I know there were hints in the thread about the Sig suppressor failing, but this is the first picture I've seen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Old news....

He showed a silencer at SHOT a while back, AAC/Freddie finger-fucked it, and the rest is ARFCOM history,
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

He showed a silencer at SHOT a while back, AAC/Freddie finger-fucked it, and the rest is ARFCOM history,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Old news....

Link?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:49:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Old news....

Link?

This is just the warm-up

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=20&t=223634
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I highly doubt the busy day "tomorrow" is because they will be selling suppressors. Maybe a press release first, if that even the case. Since its a promo photo the can could be for show. Too many Mexican smiley faces smoking a cigar in the suppressor forums to get me excited over a promo picture.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is just the warm-up

View Quote

Read through all of page 1 and most of page 2 before I realized the date was 2007. The comment about the Aimpoint Micro mount was what clued me in.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I highly doubt the busy day "tomorrow" is because they will be selling suppressors. Maybe a press release first, if that even the case. Since its a promo photo the can could be for show. Too many Mexican smiley faces smoking a cigar in the suppressor forums to get me excited over a promo picture.
View Quote

I was thinking more along the lines of an announcement, maybe some more pictures.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Made hot for all the iOS users.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:00:01 AM EDT
[#27]
His patent was awarded in 2013 iirc.  You can Google "mark larue patent" and it will pop up, along with all his other ones.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:43:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Why on earth, other than aesthetics, would you make the OD of the can unnecessarily large w/out utilizing the extra volume it affords you? Sorry, some body had to say it. I enjoy the bottle opener, wouldn't put the "dillo dust" on a chicken mcnugget though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:46:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why on earth, other than aesthetics, would you make the OD of the can unnecessarily large w/out utilizing the extra volume it affords you? Sorry, some body had to say it. I enjoy the bottle opener, wouldn't put the "dillo dust" on a chicken mcnugget though.
View Quote

Ribbed for her pleasure...
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:26:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This is just the warm-up

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Old news....

Link?

This is just the warm-up

smoking that dillo dust can cause paranoia
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:45:27 AM EDT
[#31]
For data-hungry folks, I've linked the PDF of the patent for the attachment system.  I've also uploaded a picture where I zoomed in on the can.  Clearly marked as a LaRue:

LaRue Suppressor Mount Patent (PDF link)

Edited to clean up link to PDF
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:51:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Interdasting.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:53:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
For data-hungry folks, I've linked the PDF of the patent for the attachment system.  I've also uploaded a picture where I zoomed in on the can.  Clearly marked as a LaRue:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US8511425.pdf

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/486/20004544279_51f8e828db_o.jpg
View Quote

That's the attachment system, for sure. I saw it in person at the LaRue booth back in '12 or '11, I believe.

Thing is, I saw the exact same attachment system on another rifle, an M1A, a few months later, back home, and the guy with it told me someone else made that and the suppressor that went with it.
It was quite well used; caked with carbon and green from jacket material. Just the way those adapters get when they've had several hundred rounds through them.

It's always kinda stuck with me. I can't for the life of me remember the name he told me of the maker, though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:07:08 AM EDT
[#34]
For good measure, pics of LaRue cans and mounts as well as the Patent have been in the wild for years:

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/assault-rifle.3796/page-18

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:18:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Here's my take, if anybody cares to hear it.  This is a semi-reflex can.  The bulged area around the rear of the suppressor is an expansion chamber.  This actually telescopes back over the mount and, as you see, the can telescopes the barrel about an inch behind the threaded shoulder of the barrel.  The reason this chamber is so big is (my opinion) to lower back pressure.  The when that high pressure gas goes forward, it creates a wall keeping pressure from traveling to the rear.  To depressurize this 'reflex' area behind the muzzle, gasses have to travel forward and are less likely to take a 90 degree turn down the bore.

I am really diggin' the double-taper seal and it looks like one could use a barrel-nut wrench to torque the suppressor down and then remove it, so retention does not seem like that big of a deal... though I think torquing it down with a barrel nut wrench might be a bad idea.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:23:01 AM EDT
[#36]

That looks a lot cleaner than the one in the OP pic.   That one looks like a rifle is fucking a fleshlight with the bulbous end and ribs
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:12:01 PM EDT
[#37]

I can't believe I didn't remember the upside down scope.

That's actually more impressive than the can and mount, and why I was looking at the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#38]

In for more shit I can't afford...

but will dream of.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:59:18 PM EDT
[#39]
I will have to tell my single friend with no kids about this so he can buy one and I can shoot it from time to time.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:35:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I will have to tell my single friend with no kids about this so he can buy one and I can shoot it from time to time.
View Quote

Truth
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#41]
It would be hard to move from my Surefire cans but Im in for more info...
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I am really diggin' the double-taper seal and it looks like one could use a barrel-nut wrench to torque the suppressor down and then remove it, so retention does not seem like that big of a deal... though I think torquing it down with a barrel nut wrench might be a bad idea.
View Quote

Is it necessary though? Most companies seem to get by fine with coarse Acme threads and a single taper seal. How much gets by the first taper seal? Are they just trying to get the last 1% and how much does it add to the cost of the system?

Sorry, my design engineer brain is clashing with my project/cost management brain this morning...  
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Is it necessary though? Most companies seem to get by fine with coarse Acme threads and a single taper seal. How much gets by the first taper seal? Are they just trying to get the last 1% and how much does it add to the cost of the system?

Sorry, my design engineer brain is clashing with my project/cost management brain this morning...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And then there's timing the threads in both interfaces to each other.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, thinking about the YHM system, there is one ACME thread and one taper, but they also have a detent locking mechanism and the forward stablizer at the end of the flash suppressor.  It appears that a second set of threads would eliminate the need for a locking mechaism and allow the can to go on twice as fast as a traditional thread-on suppressor while still offering two tapered surfaces to mount on.  It has the advantages for suppressor alignment over a typical thread-on can in that it indexes off of the tapers rather than the shoulder of the thread cut / back of the can.  It has advantages over the traditional single-taper systems in that you get positive alignment with the bore axis at two 'points' in line with the bore axis vs. just one taper, shoulder, etc. for virtually everything else out there.  You get twice the thread for a single twist over traditional thread-on cans.  You get much more thread contact than ACME threads.

Again, I'm digging it.  Not going to by one anytime soon, but I wouldn't kick it out of bed either!
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Well, thinking about the YHM system, there is one ACME thread and one taper, but they also have a detent locking mechanism and the forward stablizer at the end of the flash suppressor.  It appears that a second set of threads would eliminate the need for a locking mechaism and allow the can to go on twice as fast as a traditional thread-on suppressor while still offering two tapered surfaces to mount on.  It has the advantages for suppressor alignment over a typical thread-on can in that it indexes off of the tapers rather than the shoulder of the thread cut / back of the can.  It has advantages over the traditional single-taper systems in that you get positive alignment with the bore axis at two 'points' in line with the bore axis vs. just one taper, shoulder, etc. for virtually everything else out there.  You get twice the thread for a single twist over traditional thread-on cans.  You get much more thread contact than ACME threads.

Again, I'm digging it.  Not going to by one anytime soon, but I wouldn't kick it out of bed either!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But again, the question is "why?"  If a single taper gets 99% of it, what's the issue worth resolving at increased cost and weight?  my assumption is that LRT isn't going into the budget market segment and at the premium end weight is a big consideration. Even if the can is 3db better than the best out there, if it's 3oz heavier it's going to be frowned on.  I don't care about 3oz sitting on top of the upper receiver. I care a lot about 3oz on the end of the barrel.  My fingers are crossed that ML beat weight with a combination of design and materials.  I'd love to have a dedicated LaRue can for my OBR but wouldn't sacrifice anything from the 300SPS to have the name.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

But again, the question is "why?"  If a single taper gets 99% of it, what's the issue worth resolving at increased cost and weight?  my assumption is that LRT isn't going into the budget market segment and at the premium end weight is a big consideration. Even if the can is 3db better than the best out there, if it's 3oz heavier it's going to be frowned on.  I don't care about 3oz sitting on top of the upper receiver. I care a lot about 3oz on the end of the barrel.  My fingers are crossed that ML beat weight with a combination of design and materials.  I'd love to have a dedicated LaRue can for my OBR but wouldn't sacrifice anything from the 300SPS to have the name.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I brought up weight as a concern with any potential larue suppressor in another thread. Mark responded by asking if I had missed their new lightweight barrels so I guess one could infer that means Larue is becoming weight conscience with any new products.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#47]
 <GD Type image removed............dpmmn>      

Tag for more...

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I want to see bold text in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:23:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think the primary idea is to do something different.  It's probably also pretty easy to get the tooling set up if they ever decide to go into production.  I don't think it's necessarily superior, but it is different and novel.  Lighter?  I don't think it's more or less weight compared to other systems.  As for the can... who knows if there are any differences.  Virtually nobody in the industry is working on reducing back pressure.  That's concerning.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top