Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/9/2015 2:01:53 PM EDT
Just got the email from surefire

Ultra-light Ti tube, front plate, and rear cap. Durable heat-treated SS baffles. Numbered for easy disassembly and reassembly with built in spacers.

ETA:
Cerakote: black, dark earth, wolf gray
7.6"
9.5oz
1.25" diameter
1/2x28 or 13.5x1 LH
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
That's why I also checked in on this forum.  I would like to see some real world numbers before I order it.  So tag and bump.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Only thing it needs now is some third party meter data.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought I'd seen SF saying that this can was going to be smaller OD than other cans, such that you could use regular heights sights with it?

Anyone else remember that or was that me wishing?  On the illustration they have of it mounted on a Glock on their web site, the end cap is higher than the factory sight.

Dimention wise, it's an ounce plus lighter than the Octane, and 0.1" longer.  List price is 50 bucks less than the Octane, but we'll have to see what actual price is.

The Octane is such a good can that this Ryder has some big shoes to try to match up with.  As much of a SF fan as I am, I don't see the advantages of this one unless it's really quieter than the Octane, which I doubt.  Plus the Octane has a 3 lug mount for those who want it.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:36:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only thing it needs now is some third party meter data.
View Quote

Surefire has a B&K pulse system, one of two of the ONLY digital sound metering systems in the world that meets Mil Std 1474D.  Ask them what they got when the metered it.  There are no current digital sound meters (other than the Pulse and one other from B&K) in use by dealers and manufacturers that will produce anything but low, misleading results, so if you are waiting for a B&K2270, any sound meter from Larson Davis that is digital (other than the 800B) or the contrived National instruments meters, you will not get data that is useful for anything other than marketing.  

That being said I would say its a 129-132dB suppressor.  Not bad for its OD and length.  Ask them to meter it.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:37:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds $$$
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I would be glad to share the sound data on the Ryder 9 Ti. We used 3 mic channels during testing.

RYDER 9 Ti-G17-147XTP
ERP 125.20 dB (ear reference position)
1MRM 127.88 dB (right)
1MLM 128.38 dB (left)

RYDER 9 Ti-G17-Fed 124 FMJ AMERICAN EAGLE
ERP 131.15 dB
1MRM 134.87 dB
1MLM 134.57 dB

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Is there a fixed barrel spacer for use on fixed barrel 9mm hosts(ARs, Tavors, MPX, Scorpion, etc.)?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is there a fixed barrel spacer for use on fixed barrel 9mm hosts(ARs, Tavors, MPX, Scorpion, etc.)?
View Quote

interested
and 3 lug?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#9]
We are going to have accessory back plates for

3 lug MP5
CZ Scorpion
AR 9mm direct thread
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

3 lug MP5
CZ Scorpion
AR 9mm direct thread
View Quote

OH YEAH!!!  The Ryder 9mm will fit nicely in really thin handguards like the NSR...NICE!!!  Hoping that the 3-lug mount is also no larger than 1.25 OD of the 9mm Ryder.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:The Octane is such a good can that this Ryder has some big shoes to try to match up with.  As much of a SF fan as I am, I don't see the advantages of this one unless it's really quieter than the Octane, which I doubt.  Plus the Octane has a 3 lug mount for those who want it.

View Quote

Octane is the most over rated pistol can, I'd take an Osprey, Griffin revolution and Surefire Ryder over it.  If you need a 3 lug mount, I'd rather go Griffin for increased modularity and decreased profile.  For a pistol can Osprey has been the king, shorter, lighter, quieter and my Trijicon HD's become Very usable with the Osprey due to decreased height over bore.  I love Surefire and can't wait to get my hands on one, like the Osprey the Surefire will have less height over bore allowing for an improved sight picture, clutch for a pistol can and you'll he able to sure their can with the X300u on a Glock (an advantage it has over the Osprey).

For a pistol only can, this is the order I'd rank them:

1. Surefire Ryder 9
2. Osprey 9
3. Griffin Rev 9
4. Octane (this one is a distant 4th in my mind)

I'll be buying a Surefire Ryder 9 as soon as they hit Silencershop, I currently own 2 Osprey 9s and 1 Osprey 45, I completely rejected the Octane and I'm glad I did.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

3 lug MP5
CZ Scorpion
AR 9mm direct thread
View Quote

My wallet hates you. Throw in one of your new AAA 125 lumen lights.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I would be glad to share the sound data on the Ryder 9 Ti. We used 3 mic channels during testing.

RYDER 9 Ti-G17-147XTP

1MRM 127.88 dB (right)

1MLM 128.38 dB (left)

ERP 131.15 dB

1MRM 134.87 dB

1MLM 134.57 dB

View Quote
Nice numbers for such a slim can!

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Octane is the most over rated pistol can, I'd take an Osprey, Griffin revolution and Surefire Ryder over it.  If you need a 3 lug mount, I'd rather go Griffin for increased modularity and decreased profile.  For a pistol can Osprey has been the king, shorter, lighter, quieter and my Trijicon HD's become Very usable with the Osprey due to decreased height over bore.  I love Surefire and can't wait to get my hands on one, like the Osprey the Surefire will have less height over bore allowing for an improved sight picture, clutch for a pistol can and you'll he able to sure their can with the X300u on a Glock (an advantage it has over the Osprey).

1. Surefire Ryder 9
2. Osprey 9
3. Griffin Rev 9

I'll be buying a Surefire Ryder 9 as soon as they hit Silencershop, I currently own 2 Osprey 9s and 1 Osprey 45, I completely rejected the Octane and I'm glad I did.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:The Octane is such a good can that this Ryder has some big shoes to try to match up with.  As much of a SF fan as I am, I don't see the advantages of this one unless it's really quieter than the Octane, which I doubt.  Plus the Octane has a 3 lug mount for those who want it.

1. Surefire Ryder 9
2. Osprey 9
3. Griffin Rev 9

The Octane 9 is actually a great can.  Differences in opinion, eh?  I'd say most people are able to "shoot through" the can and the traditional design works just fine for most.  Glad you are enjoying your Ospreys though.  

And no love for the Tirant?  Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The Octane 9 is actually a great can.  Differences in opinion, eh?  I'd say most people are able to "shoot through" the can and the traditional design works just fine for most.  Glad you are enjoying your Ospreys though.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Surefire Ryder 9
2. Osprey 9
3. Griffin Rev 9

Freedom group
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#16]
"Overrated" is a little harsh, considering the other nice features the can has, but yes, I agree that the Osprey and Tirant are quieter pistol cans.   The TiRant doesnt suffer from the tremendous FRP of the Osprey, so that says something.  

However, with the TiRant 9 being discontinued and the Revo 9 performing so similarly to the Octane, I think we have a nice new competitor in the 9mm can market.  Im really interested in this can.  

I love 1.25 inch cans.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

1. Surefire Ryder 9

2. Osprey 9

3. Griffin Rev 9

View All Quotes
Quoted:

1. Surefire Ryder 9

2. Osprey 9

3. Griffin Rev 9

So you don't even own the Ryder 9 yet rank it at #1?

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

3 lug MP5
CZ Scorpion
AR 9mm direct thread
View Quote

Any chance of a Micro version down the road?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Surefire Ryder 9
2. Osprey 9
3. Griffin Rev 9

This
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Surefire has a B&K pulse system, one of two of the ONLY digital sound metering systems in the world that meets Mil Std 1474D.  Ask them what they got when the metered it.
View Quote

...says the guy who built his entire reputation on pointing out that manufacturer's claims are subject to bias and inaccuracy, even when appropriate equipment is used?

AAC was using a good B&K meter from Day 1, you never told us to trust their data. In fact you actively railed against it.

Considering that most SF cans are loud, and they have gone back to a smaller form factor with the Ryder 9, I shant be buying one until someone meters one with good equipment. It matters less with their rifle cans since all 5.56 silencers are loud, but sound matters on a 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Surefire Ryder 9
2. Osprey 9
3. Griffin Rev 9

Yes, it allows for use of X300 Ultra and easier use of my sights due to decreased girth, plus it has lightweight and it's a Surefire so that puts it at #1.   Can't wait to buy one (or more).
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"Overrated" is a little harsh, considering the other nice features the can has, but yes, I agree that the Osprey and Tirant are quieter pistol cans.   The TiRant doesnt suffer from the tremendous FRP of the Osprey, so that says something.  

However, with the TiRant 9 being discontinued and the Revo 9 performing so similarly to the Octane, I think we have a nice new competitor in the 9mm can market.  Im really interested in this can.  

I love 1.25 inch cans.  
View Quote

FRP does exist on the Osprey but it's more of an issue on the Osprey 45 than the Osprey 9.  If FRP Is really a concern shoot it wet, problem solved.  I would put the Revo ahead of the Octane due to it's K configuration and shorter 3 lug configuration (moot point for me).  It's still a girthy can, which I absolutely despise on a pistol can.  The girthiness is less of an issue when used on 9mm AR, .300blkout or MP5 or whatever you want to use it on, but to me a pistol can is simply a pistol can and that is how I judge them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:34:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

...says the guy who built his entire reputation on pointing out that manufacturer's claims are subject to bias and inaccuracy, even when appropriate equipment is used?

AAC was using a good B&K meter from Day 1, you never told us to trust their data. In fact you actively railed against it.

Considering that most SF cans are loud, and they have gone back to a smaller form factor with the Ryder 9, I shant be buying one until someone meters one with good equipment. It matters less with their rifle cans since all 5.56 silencers are loud, but sound matters on a 9mm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Surefire has a B&K pulse system, one of two of the ONLY digital sound metering systems in the world that meets Mil Std 1474D.  Ask them what they got when the metered it.

In this case I would actually trust what Surefire posted for numbers over the bogus metering being done these days by dealers with marketing meters.  YMMV.  

Thanks to Kudo22 for posting data.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Is the Ryder 9mm out for sale anywhere yet?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#25]
We are taking orders on them now. We are starting to machine the Ti tubes and then the serial numbers will be allocated to the pending orders. The tubes are the last pieces to be made other than waiting for the holsters from First Spear to come in.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We are taking orders on them now. We are starting to machine the Ti tubes and then the serial numbers will be allocated to the pending orders. The tubes are the last pieces to be made other than waiting for the holsters from First Spear to come in.
View Quote

oh ya!

page 2
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I ordered mine from you guys a little while ago, hopefully I get a serial number soon. And also to follow up with my email to you, I would like to request you make a 13.5x1 LH direct thread option for the MPX. I think they will be as popular if not more so than the CZ Scorpions.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#28]
So are we looking at a couple months at minimum before these are in dealers inventory or what kind of timeframe?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So are we looking at a couple months at minimum before these are in dealers inventory or what kind of timeframe?
View Quote

I have seen them in stock at online shops.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

3 lug MP5
CZ Scorpion
AR 9mm direct thread
View Quote

Will the 3-Lug mount be available when the Ryder's hit the streets?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Guys you can down the octane  all you want but results don't lie. The 45 octane with 147 gn 9 mm ammo was more quiet than the tirant shot with the same ammo and gun. check out the new silencer shop video on the octane.

Results

9 octane

133.0 at the ear

45 octane

127.8 at the ear

Both with 9mm 147 gun ammo

Take away the first round pop of the larger volume 45 can and you get a lot more quiet. I love my can. Go check all the other silencer results and see what
You find. It won't be much better than that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:43:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Yes, it allows for use of X300 Ultra and easier use of my sights due to decreased girth, plus it has lightweight and it's a Surefire so that puts it at #1.   Can't wait to buy one (or more).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Surefire Ryder 9

2. Osprey 9

3. Griffin Rev 9

All of those things are true with a thread protector, so with that logic, I'm not sure your list is relevant for folks who value suppression when selecting a suppressor.  

I'm interested in hearing how it sounds, and hope it will be quiet.  I've not heard many 1.25" cans sound as quiet as larger ones.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Guys you can down the octane  all you want but results don't lie. The 45 octane with 147 gn 9 mm ammo was more quiet than the tirant shot with the same ammo and gun. check out the new silencer shop video on the octane.

Results

9 octane

133.0 at the ear

45 octane

127.8 at the ear

Take away the first round pop of the larger volume 45 can and you get a lot more quiet. I love my can. Go check all the other silencer results and see what

View Quote
Well, then.

That settles it.

ETA. Since this isnt GD, let me expound on that.  Ive got to say that realistically, Silencer Shop's numbers dont reflect real world experience with these cans.  Some folks attribute that to tone.  I guess thats reasonable.  As someone who has back-to-back tested these on dozens of hosts, the Octane is just louder.  

Dont take this as Octane bashing, as the Octane is a great can.  The Surefire can will likely be louder than the Octane 9, as the diameter difference is the most relevant factor.  It cant compete with the TiRant, though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well, then.  

That settles it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Results

9 octane

133.0 at the ear

45 octane

127.8 at the ear

Well, then.  

That settles it.

I wonder whether people complaining about Octane sound performance have checked their baffle stacks for proper alignment of the baffle scoops. The CTA baffles can be snapped together incorrectly.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#35]
How about we keep this on topic for the Ryder can.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Meter data all look pretty close.  Key Ryder discriminator, IMO, is the 1.25 OD.

Per Kudo22:
RYDER 9 Ti-G17-147XTP
1MRM 127.88 dB (right)
1MLM 128.38 dB (left)

ERP 131.15 dB
1MRM 134.87 dB
1MLM 134.57 dB

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Meter data all look pretty close.  Key Ryder discriminator, IMO, is the 1.25 OD.

Per Kudo22:

RYDER 9 Ti-G17-147XTP

1MRM 127.88 dB (right)

1MLM 128.38 dB (left)

ERP 131.15 dB

1MRM 134.87 dB

1MLM 134.57 dB

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-q4fpYIEIWrM/VUq8EeYLyHI/AAAAAAAAi4E/pJZagU12tgE/s640/upload_-1.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WPotPx91AdU/VUq8OjEqAdI/AAAAAAAAi4M/PIPXWsjmU2s/s640/upload_-1.jpg

View Quote
Different ammo, different handguns, different meter and different conditions. I wouldn't put too much weight in that comparison.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#38]
So... +/- couple of dbs...right...close enough.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe... Maybe not. Too many significant variables to be able to make a valid comparison.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Maybe... Maybe not. Too many significant variables to be able to make a valid comparison.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  We need 3rd party data shooting them all at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We need 3rd party data acquired with a good meter shooting them all at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:09:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

We need 3rd party data acquired with a good meter shooting them all at the same time and carefully keeping the distance and angle between the meter and the front of the cans constant, unlike in Silencer Shop's tests.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We need 3rd party data acquired with a good meter shooting them all at the same time and carefully keeping the distance and angle between the meter and the front of the cans constant, unlike in Silencer Shop's tests.

FIFY.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

All of those things are true with a thread protector, so with that logic, I'm not sure your list is relevant for folks who value suppression when selecting a suppressor.  

I'm interested in hearing how it sounds, and hope it will be quiet.  I've not heard many 1.25" cans sound as quiet as larger ones.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Surefire Ryder 9
2. Osprey 9
3. Griffin Rev 9

Kudu22 (Garin Lee) is a very credible stand up guy, when he lists numbers I believe them.  His numbers put the Surefire Ryder 9 Ti on par with the Octane.  If you are looking for pure sound suppression on a pistol, Osprey 9 smokes everything and also has some of the advantages of the Ryder 9 Ti.  I own only Ospreys but if the Ryder 9 was available when I bought my Ospreys I'd probably buy at least one Ryder 9.  I'll be purchasing a Ryder 9 (or two) as soon as they become available.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Well, then.  

That settles it.

ETA. Since this isnt GD, let me expound on that.  Ive got to say that realistically, Silencer Shop's numbers dont reflect real world experience with these cans.  Some folks attribute that to tone.  I guess thats reasonable.  As someone who has back-to-back tested these on dozens of hosts, the Octane is just louder.  

Dont take this as Octane bashing, as the Octane is a great can.  The Surefire can will likely be louder than the Octane 9, as the diameter difference is the most relevant factor.  It cant compete with the TiRant, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Results

9 octane

133.0 at the ear

45 octane

127.8 at the ear

Well, then.  

That settles it.

How do you figure it can't compete with the tirant. Tests from different sources all show the db's are withing 1 decibel of each other. Don't know about you but I don't have meter quality hearing.

I thinks this all boils down to the same sure fire bull rap we've seen on this board with all the other surefire cans on the market. More fanboy hype to make up for the fact their cans are just not as good as others doing what there suppose to do. Period.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL, they just cant resist.  Never mind that there are half a dozen threads at any one time for them to talk about their favorite brand.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
LOL, they just cant resist.  Never mind that there are half a dozen threads at any one time for them to talk about their favorite brand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not exactly.

Its perfectly reasonable to want to know how a can compares to whats already on the market.  After all, how else would a layman compare sound?  

SS's db numbers are hardly believable, as they are never consistent.  They tested the Omega 3 times before they got some numbers their customers wouldnt flip their shit over.  Guys in this thread are quoting Octane numbers that are comparable to TiRant numbers (LOL!).  One guy admits all he has are Ospreys, and swears they are the best.  Some folks are just prone to cognitive disonance when it comes to the suppressors they have.  Frankly, it blows my mind that anyone who has heard the big name cans side by side believes the Octane is comparable to the Osprey and Tirant in a pure db comparison.  And maybe thats why these arguments still come up -- because so many folks havent compared them anywhere but youtube.  

Thats why this is important.  If someone tells me the Ryder 9 is louder than the TiRant 9 but quieter than the Octane, Ill buy 2, because 1.25 cans are awesome.  

The measuring stick is just as important as the results in any subjective review.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I highly doubt anyone will be disappointed in their purchase of a Ryder 9. And I say that not even owning a Surefire can.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#48]
I hope it sells well.  1.25 cans becoming more popular is a great thing.  Not too many in the mainstream.  Gemtech has one, AAC's new eccentric can is 1.25, now the Ryder.  If these suppressors quiet the host 90 percent as well as the Octane/Osprey/TiRant, there will be a lot of happy people out there.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I highly doubt anyone will be disappointed in their purchase of a Ryder 9. And I say that not even owning a Surefire can.
View Quote

Have you got to use one yet?
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:03:13 PM EDT
[#50]

Neg. Purely speculation on my part. But Surefire doesn't lack in the R&D department...

Like most new cans, I think it would be tough to suggest it for a first purchase since it hasn't been seen in the wild yet.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top