Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2014 3:13:53 AM EDT
I was hoping to get some real world opinions from people who have this particular suppressor. It doesn't seem to be quite as common as some of the other Surefire cans.
I'd like to hear about what kind of performance people are seeing out of it on:
SBR AR's similar to the DD mk18
AK's both 47's and 74's.
As well as on longer 20" barreled .308 bolt rifles.

Thanks to anyone who has any information.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on your intended primary use.  IMO it's a jack of all trades, master of none.  It sounds good on a 5.56, but has a decent bit of FRP.  It is loud on a .308.  Not sure about AK performance.  If you need a can that takes the bark out of anything without adding much weight/length, it's a good choice.  If you are mostly gonna shoot .308, there are better choices for sound performance, and same for 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:37:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the 556 Mini (non socom). I really like the mount (Mb556k) for reducing baffle wear, but man does it shoot some fire. It sits on my 10.3" Colt. In pitch black you will get a bit of flash out the front. I really like how small it is. Best way to describe it is it takes the bite out of shooting an SBR with Surefire Mb556k. It's not the quietest, nor the lightest. But it has a rock solid mount, durable, small with very minimal POI shift which for me, is what I was looking for.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got one in jail along with two other Surefire cans.  I'm shooting for the same niche as you.  Based on my conversations with Silencer Shop and Surefire it'll fit pretty well.  I won't know till next year......
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I have three SOCOM's. 762rc,Mini,556sb. I can't tell a difference between the 762 mini and 556sb on a 10.5" LWRC. The 762 mini takes the bark of my 16" LWRC REPR, but the RC is better. Sorry no info on the mini on an AK yet, but I'm sure it will be compariable to removing the bark similar to the 10.5" 556 and REPR.
Also the blast baffel appears to be twice as thick than the 762rc and 556sb. I can't remember (can't check out of town) if it has vent holes on the blast baffel like the others.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:05:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate all the input. Mine will mainly be going on my Sig 553 with 10" barrel. So I figured I might as well go with the 762 mini rather than the 556SB since I can atleast get some dual usage out of it like that. The gun unsuppressed with a brake is just insanely loud. I have shot it with a silencerco specwar 762 which sounded pretty damn good but was really quite long and heavy. I think the socom 762 mini will work just fine for my purposes, I don't mind wearing ear plugs I just don't want to have to double up on ear pro haha.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 762 SOCOM mini that I use on a 16 and 20 inch AR and a 20 inch Remington 40 X 762 bolt gun.

I think the little suppressor (just 6.5 inches long or so) actually does make 140 decibal OSHA safe as advertised.  I still use soft plugs for both 762 and 556, this reduces sound to not much more than a puff of air.  Without soft plugs its tolerable but why damage your ears?

The short length and relatively light weight make me use it more than a longer, heavier device.

I use it on HB AR to hunt coyotes at night and they have actually run towards me after first shot at a double, not knowing where I was.  so obviously no muzzle flash and sound character is changed enough they dont react to shot as a gunshot.  

If you want to impress someone I would deffinately go for the RC.  But it is practical for me.

Shift in point of impact is negligable on all three rifles.  From zero to not more than 3/4 inich, so it takes a pretty accurate rifle to tell whether it is on or off.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:36:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, all your opinions have been very helpful. If anyone else would like to chime in feel free.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 7.62 mini, I've been happy with it on a 16" 308 & a 10.3 5.56.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked up my 762-MINI today.  Out of a 16" 5.56 rifle it sounds good.  I would compare the sound level to a .22lr pistol.  Very, very minimal back pressure.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Has anyone used one of these on a .300 blk SBR with subs? I've been hearing none too flattering things about this combo. I hear it's not bad on supers but sucks for subs.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has anyone used one of these on a .300 blk SBR with subs? I've been hearing none too flattering things about this combo. I hear it's not bad on supers but sucks for subs.
View Quote

Yes on an AAC factory 9"upper.  Extremely loud with subs.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was at a range a few weeks back and a shooter was pretty pissed that his Socom 762 mini sounded like shit on his 300blk. I walked over and the guy said it was his first time shooting it and thought it was broken...I mounted my Specwar on his rifle and it was all mouse farts. Poor guy was sold a loud-ass can sight unseen. It did sound "alright" on his 11.5 556. I told him just use the can on a beater and let friends shoot that one when at the range
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Yea that's kind of what I figured. I guess that makes sense considering surefire is making a .300 blk specific can which is supposed to be badass.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yea that's kind of what I figured. I guess that makes sense considering surefire is making a .300 blk specific can which is supposed to be badass.
View Quote

And will most likely come with a "badass" price tag. I wouldn't be surprised if it was north of $1k with no mount.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#15]
There's no doubt that MSRP will be north of 1k with no mount, but for those of us who already have surefire mounts it wouldn't be too bad. I'd like a little more info about it and how well it works on other calibers though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#16]
It will probably perform just like their Ryder 22 can. Innovative, quiet, and damn expensive.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It will probably perform just like their Ryder 22 can. Innovative, quiet, and damn expensive.
View Quote

That sounds about right, wouldn't expect much different from surefire haha. I do know that they are keeping pretty quiet about it, supposedly it's being announced at shot show next year.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I should have my SF mini back within a few weeks (fingers crossed).  
Sound attenuation was not my main goal with this can.  It was the
shortest can available for my 9" 300 Blk as I wanted a PDW sized weapon and a can to basically take the bark off.  I do have a Saker 762 on order though for maximum sound reduction.  Sucks to hear that the SF Mini is not quiet but the can is made for a very niche purpose.  It will also be going on my SBR SCAR 17 eventually.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#19]
All my SOCOM's perform well on supersonic rounds and the mounting system is like no other. 762 Mini performance with the 300 subs was enough for me to sell the SBR AR upper and I may go with a Handi rifle with pistol can instead.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Any potential release date or size dimensions of said new SF 300?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks like a release date of shot show 2015, but with possible preorders towards the end of this year. It's looking like an extremely quiet blackout can.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Looks like a release date of shot show 2015, but with possible preorders towards the end of this year. It's looking like an extremely quiet blackout can.
View Quote

Have any threads or just hearsay? I did see a y-tube from Texas gun trust lawyer, but haven't looked any further.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Size?  Pic?  If its 20" long the. Yea it better perform!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I was at a range a few weeks back and a shooter was pretty pissed that his Socom 762 mini sounded like shit on his 300blk. I walked over and the guy said it was his first time shooting it and thought it was broken...I mounted my Specwar on his rifle and it was all mouse farts. Poor guy was sold a loud-ass can sight unseen. It did sound "alright" on his 11.5 556. I told him just use the can on a beater and let friends shoot that one when at the range
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can someone explain this please?  Why would a 308 silencer not suppress 300BLK well?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Have any threads or just hearsay? I did see a y-tube from Texas gun trust lawyer, but haven't looked any further.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No threads, but this is what the Surefire Rep Garin told me a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Can someone explain this please?  Why would a 308 silencer not suppress 300BLK well?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best I can tell is that the overall size of it makes it a louder as well as the design of the baffle stack being more optimized for full power ammo.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:49:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did you mount your Specwar on his rifle?

The 762 Mini is louder on a 16" 223 than 556 Saker on a 10" 223.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top