Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2012 6:22:18 PM EDT
So I went to this store  called Get Some Guns. And they had a ton of suppressors and I have really been wanting one. After talking to the guy there I am not sure if it is really worth it or not. I mean all that paper work and I still gotta wait 6 damn months for it. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're not a patient man, NFA ain't for you.

But yes, the wait sucks big time.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#2]
What you should do, and I will as soon as I get my AR and save up some money is put in the paperwork during the month of June. Try to forget the incredible purchase you just made. Then Christmas comes around and brand new suppressor sounds like best Christmas ever.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The $200 does not bother me its the paper work and the wait. Is it worth the "big bad gov" knowing you have an "evil can"?(this is what people tell me lol)  I see nothing wrong with them. I love it when guys come to the range with them. Makes it nice for all the other shooters.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The $200 does not bother me its the paper work and the wait. Is it worth the "big bad gov" knowing you have an "evil can"?(this is what people tell me lol)  I see nothing wrong with them. I love it when guys come to the range with them. Makes it nice for all the other shooters.

Couldn't care less if they know I have 'em. Paper work is a non-issue and a breeze, and the wait is mitigated by living life until the returned form comes back.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I say got for it...pay for the can, paperwork, wait for it and forget about it for 6 months.  I got some cans and still waiting for some.  I too, hate waiting.  Well worth it to me.  Lot of cans out there.  Try to get your C3 dealer to demo some for ya.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#6]
also you have to get permission from your local Police? is this true?
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#7]
In California we can't even get a suppressor so you better get one now while your state still allows you too. If i were you i would by 1 for every gun i had.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#8]
When you finally get it its like Christmas morning!
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
good things come, to those who wait
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#10]
All that paperwork? It's one page, front and back. If that intimidates you, it's amazing you can fill out a 4473 to buy a gun. Six months starts the day you submit your paperwork. So if you're still asking yourself if you should do it six months from now, you could have had your suppressor by then. And if you buy one that's built to last, you can literally have it for the rest of your life, although the odds are you'll replace it down the road just because you'll make more money and want something lighter and quieter as technology advances.

Six months is also not a long time as a percentage of your life.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Its worth the wait.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All that paperwork? It's one page, front and back. If that intimidates you, it's amazing you can fill out a 4473 to buy a gun. Six months starts the day you submit your paperwork. So if you're still asking yourself if you should do it six months from now, you could have had your suppressor by then. And if you buy one that's built to last, you can literally have it for the rest of your life, although the odds are you'll replace it down the road just because you'll make more money and want something lighter and quieter as technology advances.

sorry to be fair he never showed me the paperwork. So i had no idea how long it was. And you need local PD to sign off on it?
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I want one, but there so damn expensive and heavy and long

A good can cost as much as a good rifle, and makes your 11.5" SBR 16" and nose heavy. (cans weigh about 1lb, a 16" barrel weighs about 1.5lbs)

I just wanted to vent, im getting a suppressor for my SBR, I just cant decide on which one and what barrel length/rail length
Im just starting to wonder if its even worth the expense for a quiet, 16", nose heavy, $3000 AR
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

sorry to be fair he never showed me the paperwork. So i had no idea how long it was. And you need local PD to sign off on it?

Yes, you'll need either your local police chief, sheriff, or a couple other guys to sign off on it. If none of them will sign (happened on my second form), you'll need a trust. Start with trying to get a signature, and worry about a trust if nobody will sign for it. The signature is no big deal whatsoever, but if you have a liberal police chief then they're just not going to sign for anyone. There's an FAQ at the top of the "General Class 3" forum. I spent about a year reading before I made an SBR, but it's an incredibly simple process. The worst part is the $200.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#15]
less paperwork than a drivers license. WAY less than most concealed carry permits. it changes the way you shoot guns so hugely (especially if you go with something you can shot subsonic) its totally the smartest gun purchase you'll ever make.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
less paperwork than a drivers license. WAY less than most concealed carry permits. it changes the way you shoot guns so hugely (especially if you go with something you can shot subsonic) its totally the smartest gun purchase you'll ever make.

That's a really good point. My 10.5" is something like 165 decibels, and my SDN-6 takes that down to around 140, plus passive hearing protection gets it down to around 110. Assuming I'll be alive another 80-200 years with advances in medical technology, that's an incredible amount of hearing loss I'll prevent, which increases my quality of life. Well worth it, just stupid that safety devices are subject to a $200 tax.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#17]
If that store had a "ton of suppressors" they did a horrible job of trying to sell you one if they scared you off with the paperwork. It's simple and well worth it. Good luck with your decision.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#18]
When the dealer calls you up saying that your stamp is in, you'll forget about the wait.

Oh and btw its more like 8 months right now.
And unless Congress lets the NFA branch hire some people soon we'll probably see a year wait by this time next year. So sooner you get your paperwork started & mailed the sooner you get you can.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Let me share this, six years ago I was right where you are, I let it paralyze me and I put it off.

I've submitted a form 1 for a SBR and two form 4's for suppressors early this year.

I try not to regret the past  ––-   but I wish I'd done it sooner.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If that store had a "ton of suppressors" they did a horrible job of trying to sell you one if they scared you off with the paperwork. It's simple and well worth it. Good luck with your decision.

funny that was my thought as well

they should be all over you explaining the process to you

also OP read up on how this works and what is involved.

I think it will be well worth the wait and cost involved but in the end you can only really make that decision

Link Posted: 5/30/2012 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Worth it.   I was on the fence once, now I have three of them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#22]
No one will mind if you choose not to get in the game.

Link Posted: 5/30/2012 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#23]
If your counting the days on a calendar then the wait will kill you. Like someone said living life and next thing you know 6mo is gone and your at the range with your new toy. Once you have a few suppressors, SBR's or machine guns to keep you busy the wait isn't as bad. I have 2 cans 1 SMG and 1 SBR and they keep me busy while I wait for 2 more suppressors.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 4:11:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No one will mind if you choose not to get in the game.

This
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 4:26:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Go for it. It's worth it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 4:37:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
And unless Congress lets the NFA branch hire some people soon we'll probably see a year wait by this time next year. So sooner you get your paperwork started & mailed the sooner you get you can.

Well I have some good news for you, then... ATF has already brought on assistant examiners to help dig out from under the mountain of NFA paperwork.  We should start seeing wait times come down in the very near future.
This isn't just a rumor.  I've confirmed it with Scott Bittner, the president of the American Silencer Association.  Assistants are already in place and processing forms.  I believe they are also working on hiring a handful of full-time examiners.

To the OP, it's like Hunter Thompson said... "Buy the ticket, take the ride."
You'll be glad you did!
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I have some good news for you, then... ATF has already brought on assistant examiners to help dig out from under the mountain of NFA paperwork.  We should start seeing wait times come down in the very near future.
This isn't just a rumor.  I've confirmed it with Scott Bittner, the president of the American Silencer Association.  Assistants are already in place and processing forms.  I believe they are also working on hiring a handful of full-time examiners.

You'll be glad you did!

I really hope this is true
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll be glad you did!

I really hope this is true

He told me the same thing when I dropped my paperwork off at his new shop last week.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#29]
If you want one just do it.  Don't let the wait and the 200 bucks  and the paper work keep you from it.  The government doesn't care if you have one as long as you go through the hopes to get it and they know you're not a bad guy.  
I say go get one and have some fun.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#30]
I got my first stamp at the beginning of March of this year.  I got a .22 suppressor and I cannot believe I waited so long to do it.  I submitted the paperwork on September 1, 2011.  It was approved February 29, 2012 (I thought that was kind of a neat approval date).  I have had so much fun with it since then that I cannot even remember the wait.  Shooting subsonic .22 LR out of my Savage bolt action it is movie quiet and a huge amount of fun.  Out of my threaded Ruger 22/45 it isn't movie quiet, but still hearing safe, and also huge fun.  I first shot a suppressed gun around eight years ago, and I have a friend with a suppressed 9mm AR that I first shot about six years ago.  I have no excuse for waiting as long as I did, but doing a lot of reading on these forums pushed me over the edge, that, and having a Class III dealer in my town.

Back in late December/Early January I submitted three more forms, two for SBRs (9mm and 5.56) and one for a 9mm suppressor.  Assuming a similar wait time to my first stamp I should have all three back by the end of July, perhaps a little sooner (here is hoping).  I have more paperwork to send in now, just trying to find a spare $200.  Big warning, NFA can become addictive.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top