Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2011 4:27:31 AM EDT
Now that i have bought my 22 surpressor(liberty kodiak TL) i need a 45acp surpressor.

What do yall recomend between the osprey and the tirant?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:32:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Its a coin flip.

Either one will work great.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:36:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought an Osprey .45 and it's proven to be a great can for all of my centerfire handguns.

You really can't go too far wrong with either. Get the best deal you can, and go from there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:31:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Whichever is in stock and whatever the better deal is. It really is a coin toss and either one will serve you equally well.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Osprey .45 on USP Tactical and USP Compact:

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I've heard a lot of good things about both, but (only my opinion) the Osprey is ugly. I will be going with a TiRant .45 very very soon.
If you like the looks of the Osprey I hear that they perform very well, I just like the looks of the TiRant.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#6]
They both work very well to suppress .45acp to hearing safe levels. I personally went with the Osprey just because I found it balanced better when attached to a pistol. The AAC TiRant was more front heavy when attached to a pistol.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in the same boat, but 9mm.  I've been waiting for an Octane, but I'm going to change my order tomorrow.  I'm leaning towards the Osprey.  I like the looks and profile of the can, plus Silencerco seems to be a hell of a company.  I'm already waiting on a SS Sparrow that should be at my local dealer soon.  I do like that the Ti-Rant can be indexed and disassembled though.  It really is a toss-up.

ETA:  Bought the Osprey
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]
As soon as my dealer gets in the .45 Ospreys, I will be doing my paperwork that evening. I met the guys from Silencerco at shot last year and they and they were awesome to talk with and I just knew when the time for a .45 can I would be getting one of theirs.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's my opinion on these two cans:

Tirant +:
Lighter
Sounds quieter to human ear according to most first hand reports
User serviceable and cleanable
Can be indexed, to change point of impact
Piston changes are quick and tool-less
Low first round pop

Tirant -:
Looks strange because it's so freaking long
Costs more
If tube is damaged - you're screwed
Obscures sights more

Osprey +:
Cheaper
Meters quieter on electronic meter.
Obscures sights less
Shape makes it apparent if it starts to loosen
If tube is damaged, entire front half is replaceable

Osprey -:
Louder first round pop
Not user serviceable
Looks strange because it's so freaking square
Slower  piston changes - requires tools?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here's my opinion on these two cans:

Tirant +:
Lighter
Sounds quieter to human ear according to most first hand reports
User serviceable and cleanable
Can be indexed, to change point of impact
Piston changes are quick and tool-less
Low first round pop

Tirant -:
Looks strange because it's so freaking long
Costs more
If tube is damaged - you're screwed
Obscures sights more

Osprey +:
Cheaper
Meters quieter on electronic meter.
Obscures sights less
Shape makes it apparent if it starts to loosen
If tube is damaged, entire front half is replaceable

Osprey -:
Louder first round pop
Not user serviceable
Looks strange because it's so freaking square
Slower  piston changes - requires tools?

go to a good dealer and they are the same price. not sure where you got your data from, but form the tests i've seen, they meter about the same. Slight edge going to the tirant, but it's very close

the osprey is actually lighter.

look here.http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59299

seriously, just pick which ever one looks better to you
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not after the Tirant has the lead and carbon cleaned out of it.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ha, with all that carbon build up that comes from a .45....I wonder how many shots it really does take before there would be a noticeable db difference though. I mean, like a difference of 5 or more db. It has to be an absurd amount.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

?????  AAC says only the piston is removable and cleanable.  Not the baffle stack.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#15]
go with Osprey because
-it's shorter and achieves the same db on paper as TiRant
-ability to holster because where are you going to put it when you're loading rounds into your magazines
-serialized part is less likely to be damaged.

ETA

?????  AAC says only the piston is removable and cleanable.  Not the baffle stack.

from AAC website:
"For 2011, users will be able to remove the 17-4 PH stainless steel and hard coat anodized 7075-T6 aluminum alloy baffles from the Grade 9 Titanium tube for cleaning and maintenance using a supplied end cap spanner. "
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
go with Osprey because
-it's shorter and achieves the same db on paper as TiRant
-ability to holster because where are you going to put it when you're loading rounds into your magazines
-serialized part is less likely to be damaged.

ETA

from AAC website:
"For 2011, users will be able to remove the 17-4 PH stainless steel and hard coat anodized 7075-T6 aluminum alloy baffles from the Grade 9 Titanium tube for cleaning and maintenance using a supplied end cap spanner. "

holstering a suppressed pistol really isn't that cool and is pretty damn difficult to find a holster to fit a suppressor. Further more, you couldn't pay me to holster a suppresed pistol that had been used very much. It would rape your thigh.

We could honestly go back and forth like this all day, just pick which ever you think looks cooler. I went osprey, but will probably buy a tirant at some point in the future or until they come up with something cooler

<edit> the serialized part is a good point though. I also like how they offered to upgrade the sparrow, so wishful thinking suggests that maybe they would do the same for the osprey if they ever upgrade it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Both are great cans with great support

The tirant comes apart and I like that even ifc its not needed for 10k rounds.

they are both very efficient suppressors.

They are hard to tell apart when shot side by side.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 5:27:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Are there user serviceable tirants in users hands?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 5:30:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I like the fact that the AAC can be stripped down for cleaning.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#20]
My stamped Form4 just came it today for my 45 TiRant. I went right from the gun shop to the range and put 150 rounds through it. Man this thing is quiet with 230 gr fmj (most 230 gr. fmj is sub-sonic). I went with the TiRant because I didn't like the way the Ospray looked on my FNP-45 Tactical. Even though it has the general shape of the FNP the suppressor does have larger dimensions and because there is almost a 1" gap between the end of the slide and suppressor it looked goofy to me. I like the looks of a round can on this particular weapon better.  Pics to follow shortly.

ETA: My stamped Form4 took exactly 12 weeks to the day, mailbox to mailbox.

MadDog
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My stamped Form4 just came it today for my 45 TiRant. I went right from the gun shop to the range and put 150 rounds through it. Man this thing is quiet with 230 gr fmj (most 230 gr. fmj is sub-sonic). I went with the TiRant because I didn't like the way the Ospray looked on my FNP-45 Tactical. Even though it has the general shape of the FNP the suppressor does have larger dimensions and because there is almost a 1" gap between the end of the slide and suppressor it looked goofy to me. I like the looks of a round can on this particular weapon better.  Pics to follow shortly.

ETA: My stamped Form4 took exactly 12 weeks to the day, mailbox to mailbox.

MadDog

no go shoot it wet, if you haven't already
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#22]

How about a poll?

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I vote osprey. I have a 45Osprey, but ever since I found the 1/2x28piston+G23/19w/Lone Wolfe barrel+158gr Fiocchi subsonics, it has quickly become my favorite combo. I cannot emphasize how quiet the combo is. Here is a vid of it, but I am using 124gr nato ammo, hence the bullet crack.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Osprey.

Its true you cant make a mistake with either choice but I give the edge to the Silencerco Osprey. The Tirant had a steep asking price until Silencerco appeared on the market. They quickly dropped the price to be competitive. Silencerco also is a lot more responsive to customer requests or needs. They have done custom mods for people quickly and seem attentive to actual feedback. They are crystal clear doing video comparison tests of various cans (theirs Vs. others) on several weapons and ammo combination's. This makes a statement unlike any other company. The only reason to go Tirant is IF you desire a can you can take apart IMHO. This was not a concern or consideration for my purchase. I do have an AAC M4-2000 and its a great can but getting it and the needed and required blackout mount (not included) took a LONG time and many calls to get. AAC makes great stuff but the biggest complaint is their sloooow customer service (at least when I got mine a year ago). AAC makes the BATFE look fast at times.

Link Posted: 3/18/2011 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I went with the Ti-Rant and am glad I did. I tried a friends Ospray on my FNP45-Tactical and did not like the way it looked. Since the db suppresson is almost identical and the weight is almost the same, the Ti-Rant was a no-brainer for me.

MadDog

Link Posted: 3/18/2011 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I went with the Ti-Rant and am glad I did. I tried a friends Ospray on my FNP45-Tactical and did not like the way it looked. Since the db suppresson is almost identical and the weight is almost the same, the Ti-Rant was a no-brainer for me.

MadDog

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4707/tirant029.jpg

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5507/tirant018.jpg

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3272/tirant023.jpg

Have you seen the new flush fit Tirant .45 pistons?  It might not be worth it to you as they only reduce the overall suppressor length by 3/8" or so, but they are an option for the FN .45 because the barrel already has such a long exposure out of the front of the slide.

I have a USP tactical and am seriously thinking of getting the FN because I have a fastfire on my Glock and I really like it - (not an option with the USP).

Have you had any ammo feeding problems with your FN?

Link Posted: 3/18/2011 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#27]
cchurchi:  I have one of the "flush fit" pistons on order.  No problems with any ammo I have tried (about 6 or 7 different brands so far).

MadDog
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Only 2 for AAC?
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 8:07:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

MadDog

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4707/tirant029.jpg

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5507/tirant018.jpg

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3272/tirant023.jpg

Did that case come with the Tactical? It's a pretty sweet setup.
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#30]
something to think about.... there's pretty massive wait on ospreys just about everywhere. I've been waiting just to get the can in stock so I can send off my paperwork
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#31]
clivus:

The case comes standard with the FNP45 Tactical. There is a small parts pouch that the optic mounting plates comes in and two mag pouches. The fourth pouch had the cable lock in it which I trashed and put my suppressor in it's place.

MadDog
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I went with the Tirant because it's an FA rated can.
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#33]
TiRant b/c i've heard the two first hand and i own the better one.
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#35]
The rectangle can...
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Stoneman, remember, I told you, a friend of mine whose father is a Silencerco dealer came to my house with his Osprey 45.  We shot the Osprey and the TiRant side by side on a Sig Combat and on a Glock 21.  We shot both suppressors dry.  We switched both suppressors around from host to host.  You should have seen the look on his dad's face when he had to say "The TiRant's quieter."  We also listened to both suppressors on both different hosts from about 30 yards away.  TiRant .45 was still quieter.  We did not shoot wet because that would negate the purpose of having a can that is supposed to quiet when shot dry.  

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/enj0i2001/FN45TacticalandAACTiRant45.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top