Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2001 7:40:53 PM EDT
I'm new to the world of FN FAL's, I've got a Century L1A1 built on an Imbel receiver.

Does it take metric or inch mags, or either?

How can I tell the difference between metric and inch mags?

Thanks, Pepper
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The Centruy L1A1 takes the more expensive and harder to find inch mags.

There's not much to be known about the FAL that you can't find here
www.l1a1.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The Century receivers are inch pattern, but many of the IMBEL receiver Centrury rifles, used inch pattern parts kits, but assembled them in a metric receiver.

I agree, ask this question in the site listed above.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#3]
FAL site is down for a few days.
If you have an IMBEL receiver these are mostly metric. Check the mag that came with it.
Metric mags have a small rib running from top to bottom of mag on the right side rear and a small notch at the top for the mag catch.
I am not familar with inch mag.

Added  TAPCO has NIW metric mag 9-10 bucks in lots of ten.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The Century L1A1 takes a Metric magazine. It uses Inch pattern parts mated to a metric patter upper receiver.

Austria and Belgium make good metric pattern FAL mags.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#5]
An L1A1 receiver will usually accept most metric pattern Mags (but not visa versa).  The Inch pattern Mag. has a large (1/2" square) rectangular magazine catch, at the upper front end. It appears to be welded on) The metric version has a small (3/16") protrusion stamped out from the mag body.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I got mine from Tapco.  Good deal for brand new mags.

However, www.gunsnammo.com/index_files/magazines.htm now has a better deal.

$10 each, $90 for 10.  Brand new.  Why buy used?  I bought some of the $5 used mags, and they sometimes hang up on removal... from the follower.  New ones work perfect.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Everyone, thanks for the great info.  This is truely a great resource with great people.

RayVet, thanks to your description even a simpleton like myself can figure it out...It does take Metric mags.

I'll be shooting tomorrow, uless it's snowing hard at my favorite spot up in the Cascades.  I'll post a report on my newest rifle.  

Regards, Pepper
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one of those Century FAL's and mine can use both inch and metric mags.  Is that unusual or is it normal?  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Just so you know, inch pattern mags can be converted to metric mags quite easily if you had to do it. I converted a couple of inch pattern 30rd mags to fit my metric rifle.
Top Top