Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2014 7:09:59 PM EDT
Considering getting a .458 Lott for a why the hell not gun and was wondering, on average, what kind of life can you expect out of the larger magnums? So 458 Lott/win, 375H&H, etc.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:25:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't give you a specific round count, but my guess would be to expect a LONG life.  For several reasons

1. fairly low velocity rounds shouldn't burn barrels like faster small bore rounds.  
2. Lower accuracy standards (a .458 Lott doesn't need to be sub-MOA to put down buffalo)
3. You won't actually shoot it that much because of recoil and/or cost of ammunition.  

I bet a mere mortal couldn't AFFORD to shoot the barrel out of a .458 Lott.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:00:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

...I bet a mere mortal couldn't AFFORD to shoot the barrel out of a .458 Lott.  
View Quote

yeah, I kinda figured that this one would play the biggest role of any reasons why a 458 barrel would last a long, long, long time. Was generally more curious than worried.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:46:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't worry with rounds like that at all. Short barrel life tends to be an issue with with cartridges burning a ton of powder in comparison the bullet weight and caliber.

458 Lott would use a similar powder charge to a 338 Lapua. But uses a bigger heavier bullet. Barrel life would be at the bottom of enlist on on reasons to pass. You'd likely never change the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#4]
For the price of a few factory boxes of ammo you can buy a new barrel, or even rifle.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Your shoulder will wear out before the barrel.  And probably your check book as well.  I would guess the average big bore (375 H&H and up) probably doesn't get a hundred rounds though it in their entire life time. Friend bought a 375 H&H CZ five years ago just for shits and giggles.  He has yet to shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:28:47 AM EDT
[#7]
with a .458 Lott, you'll detach a retina or demolish your shoulder or turn into a blubbering mess long before your barrel will wear out.  I think I absorb recoil fairly well. The .458 Lott begs to differ.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Wear you out long before you wear it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top