Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2014 6:40:09 PM EDT
I bought a set of Warne Maxima steel scope rings to mount onto a picatinny rail.  These rings have a separate insert that drops in between the mounting slots of the rail.  After mounting my scope and rings, and making sure I pushed the mount all the way forward I can hear the inserts jingling around up and down.  The rings attach my scope onto a 30. 06.  After shooting, the scope/ rings did not move, and zero was retained, but I still hear the inserts bobbling around in there.  

Anyone have any experience with these mounts? I am somewhat disappointed and don't think this is right.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I have some experience with those rings.  They are a little hard to set up, but once you have it right they will hold tight and not mar your scope.  You will not be disappointed.

Those inserts are your recoil keys.

Once you have the rings where you want them on your picatinny rail and your recoil keys are in place, you need to tighten the BOTTOM screws first after you push your rings forward, just as you did.  Go ahead and torque the BOTTOM screws properly.  You will NOT tighten them again.  The recoil keys should not rattle.

Leave the TOP screws loose so you can adjust for eye relief and level your cross hairs.

Once you have your scope set up the way you want it, then tighten and torque the TOP screws.

The bottom screws hold tight on your picatinny rail........the top screws hold your scope in place in the rings.

It sounds as if you tightened all four screws on each ring evenly and that is incorrect for these rings.

Warne recommends 25 in-lbs.  Most scope manufacturers recommend 17 - 20.  I have never had a problem using Warne mounts and torquing to 25.  I use their T - wrench.

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have some experience with those rings.  They are a little hard to set up, but once you have it right they will hold tight and not mar your scope.  You will not be disappointed.

Those inserts are your recoil keys.

Once you have the rings where you want them on your picatinny rail and your recoil keys are in place, you need to tighten the BOTTOM screws first after you push your rings forward, just as you did.  Go ahead and torque the BOTTOM screws properly.  You will NOT tighten them again.  The recoil keys should not rattle.

Leave the TOP screws loose so you can adjust for eye relief and level your cross hairs.

Once you have your scope set up the way you want it, then tighten and torque the TOP screws.

The bottom screws hold tight on your picatinny rail........the top screws hold your scope in place in the rings.

It sounds as if you tightened all four screws on each ring evenly and that is incorrect for these rings.

Warne recommends 25 in-lbs.  Most scope manufacturers recommend 17 - 20.  I have never had a problem using Warne mounts and torquing to 25.  I use their T - wrench.

View Quote

Exactly what he said, with the addition of making sure the recoil lugs are correct side up.  They should not jingle, move, or make any other noises.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess I'll take your advice and try that tonight. I really hope it's a simple fix
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help guys,  re mounted the scope the proper way and obviously the mounts work as advertised. I read the directions and thought I had it mounted correctly initially but who knows
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome.  I love those rings.  I have had two different scopes in them, both SSHD's.  Neither had any ring marks whatsoever after I pulled them out of the Maxima's.  For 35.00, you can't ask for much else.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Unfortunately, the rings my tikka came with slightly crushed the tube on my nikon monarch

I torqued em down to 25 inch pounds
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#7]
That sucks. The Nikon Monarch is an expensive scope.

Ring manufacturers do have different specks for torquing.

What rings came with your Tikka?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Some propietary bs I think. Yes I was very disappointed considering I went all out and even bought the tourqe wrench. Need to continue testing, but I'm Pretty sure my scope still functions normally
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top