Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 12/30/2010 1:47:27 AM EDT
Ruger has released their new Gunsite Scout Rifle.  The rifle was designed in conjunction with Gunsite and based off Jeff Cooper's concept of what a scout rifle should entail.  

Colonel Cooper's idea calls for a rifle of light weight, quick-handling, and chambering in a cartridge suitable for both fighting and hunting.  This new offering - the latest evolution of the M77 - is highly adaptable to almost any conceivable role, featuring a 1913 Picatinny rail positioned adequately for either a forward-placed scout scope or any number of holographic or red-dot optics.  Further, Ruger saw fit to make standard fixed iron sights such as those found on the Mini-14 and Mini-30.  Removal of the rear sight will allow for use of a traditional hunting scope through Ruger's proprietary integral mounts.  Notable also is the inclusion of the AC-556 styled flash suppressor (with muzzle threaded to 5/8x24 tpi) detachable in the event one wishes to affix a sound suppressor.  

Taking into account the varying builds of the individual, the rifle's length of pull is adjustable by means of three spacers.  The stock butt pad is soft and highly recoil absorbent.  With a 16.5-in. barrel and chambered for .308 Win. my initial impression was that the rifle would give a brisk kick; that wasn't the case.  To my surprise, recoil was negligible and led me to believe that the butt pad is highly shock dampening.  The stock is black laminate and has a substantial feel not found in rifles fitted with polymer offerings.

The rifle feeds from either a 5-round or 10-round single stack detachable box magazine, which comes from the Accuracy International and Badger designs.  Ruger opted for the single stack over the double with an aim of improving reliability.  Releasing the magazine is accomplished through a lever similar to that of the Mini-14/30.  

I had the privilege of being invited to a gunwriters' review by Ruger for the unveiling at Gunsite. Needless to say I jumped at the chance.  We spent three days at Gunsite - one for the introduction and initial range session, the second spent on our choice of shooting courses; the Scrambler was a blast.  Temperatures were in the upper 50s during the day and the nights were in the upper 20s and lower 30s.

At the introduction we also received a Carhartt jacket embroidered with the Ruger label and a Ruger/Gunsite Scout Rifle shirt.  

The target is from Ruger's 50-yard testing of the rifle.  After 4,170 rounds of Winchester Power Point 180-gr, an accuracy test was performed with 30 rounds and a Leupold scout scope.  The result is this following group.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 1:48:01 AM EDT
[#1]
The rifle I was given for review.  Mine was fitted with a Burris 2.75 Scout Scope and a Ching Safari Sling.  Other participants used rifles in varying configurations, including iron sites, conventional scope setups, and holographic red dots.  In excess of twenty rifles were provided by Ruger. Overall length is 38.00 in - 39.50 in. depending on spacers used.  Weight is 7 lbs.

The distinctive AC-556 type flash suppressor.  The rifling is 6 grooves in 1/10-in. RH twist.    

Mag well and trigger group are a single unit.  Visible here is the lever magazine release.  

Gunsite's logo is prominently displayed on the bottom of the pistol grip.

10-rd metal magazine.

5-rd metal magazine.

The single column magazine.

Loaded.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 1:48:36 AM EDT
[#2]
The Gunsite instructors and range officers.  Left to right: Il Ling New, Ed Head, Chris Weare, LaMonte Kintsel.  All were very helpful.  On the first day they all came across as hardasses, but by the third day they were easy to get along with.

One of two racks of rifles.

Il Ling New demonstrating the high ready position and handling of the rifle.

Il Ling instructing on the kneeling position.

And the sitting position.

She knows her rifles.

First group on the firing line, shooter's choice kneeling or sitting.

Jeff Quinn putting the Scout rifle through its paces, offhand.

Mark Gurney from Ruger (at right) and me at left.  High ready.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 1:49:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Another gunwriter running the Scrambler.  

Another stage.

The Scout rifle, fitted with the 10-rd magazine.

And the 5-rd.  

Left to right: Michael Bane, myself, and Jeff Quinn.

Three days at Gunsite.  Lots of new stuff.  Lots of good memorable times.  I met a lot of good gun people, shot some new firearms, burned a  lot of free ammo - what could be better?

Thanks to Ruger and Gunsite for the opportunity to participate and the experience.  It was a blast.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 2:57:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the wright up, looks OK, but they should have went with metric FAL mags instead of proprietary single stack.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 3:25:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Good write up.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 4:03:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the wright up, looks OK, but they should have went with metric FAL mags instead of proprietary single stack.

The magazines are not proprietary; they're the same as the Accuracy International, from what I've read.

Link Posted: 12/30/2010 4:25:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice write up on the rifle. It looks to be a solid design, although not for me. I am not diggin the flash hider on the barrel, and for the price they want, I can think of a few other things I would rather have. It is a neat looking rifle, and I'm sure it will sell, just not to me.

It would also be nice if they offered it with a Laminate top cover in place of the scout rail, in case you wanna do standard scope mounting / iron sights only.

I do have to give Ruger a HUGE +1 for using the AI Mags, if that rumor is true. It is good they went with an already proven mag system, rather then reinventing the wheel and trying to make a prapriatary mag. I do think M1A Mags would have been better though, IMO, as the AI mags are a little pricey.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 4:30:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice overview..But I find it telling that I don't see a single hasty sling being used to steady the rifle in any of the photos despite having being equipped with a rather good one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 4:36:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice write up, and always great to see pictures of Gunsite.

The last picture, in front of the classroom, don't you know it's a punishable offense to black out guns and magazines in any pictures taken at Gunsite?
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 4:38:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Kind of leaves me cold. Different strokes and all that.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 4:48:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to see a version in 6.8 SPCII, maybe with a redesigned (from the 44 Mag carbine) Ruger Rotary magazine

OR

a modified AI magazine for the 6.8 round

ALSO

Not a huge fan of that style of flash hider, so I'd like to see other options, plus other colours of stock: but a good A+ for effort & also for making the flash-hider removable/having the barrel threaded, etc.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 4:59:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the idea A LOT! But i'd like to see if that flash hider can be removed (its hideous).

6.8spc would be a nice choice, but i would still rock one in.308

Might have to look for a used one..
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 5:05:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Want... looks like I just found my next purchase. Time to start saving.

I've been waiting for a manufacturer to come out with a set up like that for a long time.

With an MSRP of $995, I'm guessing that the actual price will be around $680/$720?

ETA: I like the flash hider, we have enough fudd rifles w/o threaded muzzles/flash hiders.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 5:18:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm starting to regret selling my Spanish FR-8 and Steyr Scout  

Thinking about buying a variant of this rifle in the near future. But I already have a M1A SOCOM though, so I'm not sure what role this Ruger carbine would play.

However, the Ruger is California legal with an evil flash hider & detachable magazine. It would be fun to own one just to mess with the anti-2As here.

Link Posted: 12/30/2010 5:24:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like the idea A LOT! But i'd like to see if that flash hider can be removed (its hideous).

6.8spc would be a nice choice, but i would still rock one in.308

Might have to look for a used one..

Flash hider IS removable
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 5:34:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I like it

I was thinking my next rifle would be a savage edge or axis or whatever they are calling them these days in .308 but I will wait to see the street price on this.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 6:13:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice write up, I received an email from ruger about it today. The barrel uses a standard thread for most 7.62 muzzle devices(5/8X??). I think a votex would look great!

Link Posted: 12/30/2010 6:38:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nice write up on the rifle. It looks to be a solid design, although not for me. I am not diggin the flash hider on the barrel, and for the price they want, I can think of a few other things I would rather have. It is a neat looking rifle, and I'm sure it will sell, just not to me.

It would also be nice if they offered it with a Laminate top cover in place of the scout rail, in case you wanna do standard scope mounting / iron sights only.

I do have to give Ruger a HUGE +1 for using the AI Mags, if that rumor is true. It is good they went with an already proven mag system, rather then reinventing the wheel and trying to make a prapriatary mag. I do think M1A Mags would have been better though, IMO, as the AI mags are a little pricey.

Part of the Scout Rifle concept is the forward-mounted scope position supporting a low power extended eye relief optic.  In theory, you could track and engage a moving target with both eyes open, without being "lost in the scope."  The reason why the scope mounts aren't over the action is to allow unobstructed access to the action, in case there's a feed problem, or if the rifle's design allowed for use of stripper clips.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I like it but would rather have had a double-stack 10rd mag the same length as the 5rd single.

That said, the only thing this offers that my FR-8 does not is optics.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice write up.

Makes me want to get the dust off my old #5 and take it to the range.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I like it but would rather have had a double-stack 10rd mag the same length as the 5rd single.

+1.

There are plenty of reliable double-stack mags out there. Should have gone with M14 mags.

My .02.

But kudos to Ruger for the effort to market this. This will be a good item for those in anti-2nd amendment states like the PRK.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Part of the Scout Rifle concept is the forward-mounted scope position supporting a low power extended eye relief optic.  In theory, you could track and engage a moving target with both eyes open, without being "lost in the scope."  The reason why the scope mounts aren't over the action is to allow unobstructed access to the action, in case there's a feed problem, or if the rifle's design allowed for use of stripper clips.

I agree that the forward rail is there for the "scout" styling and function. I was simply stating that by making an option of a non-scout style, like a iron sight only rifle, or a rifle set up for a typical scope, would capture a greater field of people. I do like the scout style forward mounted optics, but I prefer to use a red dot, rather then a scope.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Very interesting.  

Thanks for the write-up.

Link Posted: 12/30/2010 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#24]

That's a Ruger all right!  
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 9:18:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Appears I know what my next purchase is gonna be...Very nice!
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7859/26223592.jpg

That's pretty nice for a 30 round group.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

At a 100 yds maybe.  50 yards not so much.....

Link Posted: 12/30/2010 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  That's a good group considering the shooter has to do everything just right 30 times in a row.  It's nice to see that it doesn't look like the rifle suffers from any deviation in point of impact once the barrel gets hot.  That's assuming that all thirty rounds were pretty much shot one after the other.

I like the looks of the new gun.  Sort of a logical and "poor man" approach to what could be a very viable and usable platform.  Hopefully other calibers/styles will follow with the success of this initial offering.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 10:49:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That's pretty cool.

I did a couple scouts many moons ago. I've decided I don't like magnified optics in the forward mounted position. However, a "general purpose" bolt action rifle with iron sights will cover 90% of anything that needs shooting.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Scout-1.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Scout-3.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Scout-2.jpg

Nice.  I like the A2 rear especially.  

Maybe somebody should make an A2 rear that'll fit in place of the Ruger ghost ring rear.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#31]
I agree that the forward rail is there for the "scout" styling and function. I was simply stating that by making an option of a non-scout style, like a iron sight only rifle, or a rifle set up for a typical scope, would capture a greater field of people. I do like the scout style forward mounted optics, but I prefer to use a red dot, rather then a scope.

I'm sure you won't be the only one looking for a similarly equipped non-scout version.  Like you're saying, a scout is a specialty item.  I saw a close-up picture on Ruger's website, and it appears the rear sight attaches to the rear scope ring mount.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#32]
They should have used a fiberglass stock.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That's pretty cool.

I did a couple scouts many moons ago. I've decided I don't like magnified optics in the forward mounted position. However, a "general purpose" bolt action rifle with iron sights will cover 90% of anything that needs shooting.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Scout-1.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Scout-3.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Scout-2.jpg

That looks to be some sort of Mauser derived action.  What's the base rifle it was built on?
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Yep, been looking for just this sort of rifle for a while now.  Very interested.  As to the flash hider, it is ugly as sin, but sounds easy to change if its too ugly for the owner.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#37]
These have me thinking I want a new production Zastava M63 .  
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Now it would be something if Ruger put this rifle:

In this stock:

Or a variation thereof...
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I applaud Ruger's effort. I will be picking one up when funds allow.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#40]
To me, this is a perfect, multi use rifle.  Just the sort of rifle to have on any camping trip.  I can see it taking on everything from hogs & whitetails here in texas, and a perfect "woods roaming" gun back home in Colorado.  I'll be getting one, & thanks Ruger!
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I probably missed it, but are these cock on opening?
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Better be.  I don't think anybody's made a cock on closing action in a couple of centuries.

Link Posted: 12/30/2010 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better be.  I don't think anybody's made a cock on closing action in a couple of centuries.

I quite like them. They are very popular here in the form of Enfields of every kind.
Technology has probably moved on from them being the fastest action available I suppose.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Look at Michael Blaines' blog, it looks like the folks at XS sights may already be developing a rail intended for just what you are looking for.  I have an XS rail on my Marlin 336, and it is good stuff!
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Nice overview..But I find it telling that I don't see a single hasty sling being used to steady the rifle in any of the photos despite having being equipped with a rather good one.

Thanks. Il Ling did instruct us on the use and advantages of the Ching Sling. At first I was "what the Hell" when I saw it but after her instructions in offhand, kneeling, sitting and prone the advantages off the Ching sling became apparent. I just didn't get any pics of her while instructing us with it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#46]
I've got an XS rail on a Chilean 7x57 Mauser and Ishapore 7.62x51 and can say I want more .
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Look at Michael Blaines' blog, it looks like the folks at XS sights may already be developing a rail intended for just what you are looking for.  I have an XS rail on my Marlin 336, and it is good stuff!

We got to play with the prototype rails at Gunsite, they are very nice. They were mounted to a couple of the rifles for testing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

At a 100 yds maybe.  50 yards not so much.....

Did y'all notice that group of 30 was taken after 4,170 rounds had been run through the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I quite like them. They are very popular here in the form of Enfields of every kind.
Technology has probably moved on from them being the fastest action available I suppose.

Enfields are nice but they are neither as safe nor as strong as the mauser 98 action which is why they have not been produced since the 50s.
This is why modern designs are based on the mauser, because they can essentially rechamber the action for high pressure magnum rounds without it blowing up in your face.

However I do love my cock on closing bolt guns (lee-enfields, M1917 enfield and 91'/96' mausers) for precisely the reason that they are fast and smooth.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top