Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2010 8:41:34 PM EDT
The Kel Tec RFB.

Ambidextrous Safety.

Rear Magazine well with Magazine Release and Bolt Release.

Forward Ejection Port

What I really did like about this was the overall Simplicity though and of course, being who I am, before I even shot the damn thing, I took it apart.

To disassemble the RFB, there are 4 cross pins that hold everything together.

The forward more cross pin allows the forend to rotate downwards; this allows the user to change the charging handle to either the left or right side of the firearm.

When all those pins are pushed to the right of the firearm, the lower half of the RFB can be removed.

The lower itself houses the Entire Trigger assembly and firing mechanism as well as the Magazine release and Bolt Hold Open / Release.  Though Kel-Tec is known for their plastic firearms and plastic parts, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the only major plastic part was this entire lower assembly housing.  Everything else was Metal, as it should be.

Hammer Springs

Hammer in the rear of the Lower Housing.

The buttstock is removed to the rear of the upper assembly, as well as the Bolt and Recoil Springs.

The Bolt and the Extractors.

The Bolt Cross pin and be slid to the side and the bolt comes out.

This is the Ejection Port Rail.  Because it is an ambidextrous weapon, this Rail transports the spent brass to the front of the firearm.  When the bolt closes forcing a new round into the chamber, the bolt pushes the old spent brass into this rail through this opening above the Chamber.

This rail can be easily removed for Maintenance.

Gas Port.

Enjoy.  Any questions, please ask!  
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed pics.

Does it feel 'cheap' when assembled?

How's the trigger?

FAL mags?

MSRP?
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed pics.

Does it feel 'cheap' when assembled?

How's the trigger?

FAL mags?

MSRP?

This isn't actually mine, so I'll do the best I can.

Does it feel Cheap?  Actually, no.  It doesn't.  It has a good weight to it and it just feels right.

Trigger is what you would expect, a little but of takeup and creep, but it's better than a Beretta Cx4 Storm or AUG.

It takes FAL mags, yes and was also told the MSRP was about $16-$1800.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Not bad. Did a quick search. It doesn't come with sights!

At their price point, a rudimentary bipod and sights should be included.

- my $.02
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Gad someone was finally able to get to play with one. So it doesn't feel cheap? Next question is, how does it shoot???
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

- my $.02

I agree with you 100%.  The fact that you can't shoot this gun at paper out of the box without buying aftermarket sights is a bit of a turnoff.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 3:04:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

- my $.02

I'm not sure where you would put iron sights on a rifle like this.  If you put some on it, I don't think you would have any better aiming device than you would with a pistol.  I think they were thinking most users would run an optic of some sort.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 4:05:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I got to fondle one at the last gun show, it is on my short list of must have toys.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 5:29:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

- my $.02

I'm not sure where you would put iron sights on a rifle like this.  If you put some on it, I don't think you would have any better aiming device than you would with a pistol.  I think they were thinking most users would run an optic of some sort.

I see your point, but it would still be nice for this firearm to come with a set of fixed iron sights from an AR15 style rifle.  Just SOMETHING so the user can at least take this to the range and shoot it without having to spend another $300+ on optics.  An EOTech or Aimpoint would be awesome on something like this, but I'd still want put some irons on it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 6:13:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I got to fondle one at shotshow.......I am not a big keltec fan, but I have to admit I liked it alot.  It doesnt feel cheap(actually very solid) balance to me was very good, weight was great for 308....and yes took FAL mags.  The only issue I had was that you had to rock the mags in AK style.....I told them that was a mistake and it should be drop free....I think they are now.  

I like the rifle.......but I wont spend $1600/$1800   I would save a few more pennies and just buy a SCAR
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 6:56:41 AM EDT
[#10]
My local gunshop got one in a couple of days ago while I was there.  Of course we had to take it all appart first like you!
Actually, it looks & feels like a GREAT rifle- the guys here are pretty hard sells & everyone was very impressed- certainly does not seem like a Keltec.
Gunstore owner & smith decided that he will have to keep this one for himself.. can't wait to shoot it- reports indicate that it seems like they will hold 1.5-2 Moa with good 168s- not bad for a semi-auto bullpup.
As stated before, $1500 for a rifle without sights may keep the regular guy away, but my bet is that as this rifle gets some more hands on it that they will be hard to come by!
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I got mine for $1400, that seems to be a common (non-GB) street price. I've heard of a lot selling for $1350. I think dealer price is $1189.

I agree rudimentary sights would be nice, but people would probably just complain about those anyway, so why bother? The option for a longer rail would be nice though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#12]
.308 bullpup badness.....
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got mine for $1400, that seems to be a common (non-GB) street price. I've heard of a lot selling for $1350. I think dealer price is $1189.

I agree rudimentary sights would be nice, but people would probably just complain about those anyway, so why bother? The option for a longer rail would be nice though.

The specimen I drooled all over at the gun show had a tag on it for $1,299.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the pics and info!   I REALLY want one of these
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm eagerly awaiting the STANAG 5.56 one.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had mine for awhile (serial # 160 range), paid around $1900 for mine because I didn't want to wait.  I am very happy with it and it is a blast to shoot!  I did have to send it back to Kel Tec due to a headspace issue which was fixed within a week.  I would not hesitate to get another one!
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Also, I'd like to point out that the entire disassembly that I show here is all done with nothing more that a 1/8" punch and a small plastic mallet.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Also, I'd like to point out that the entire disassembly that I show here is all done with nothing more that a 1/8" punch and a small plastic mallet.

FYI It only takes a bullet tip to do the job.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, but I didn't feel like going around digging for some ammo when I had a drawer full of punches in front of me, and the Bolt Crosspin needed a little bit more Persuasion.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, but I didn't feel like going around digging for some ammo when I had a drawer full of punches in front of me, and the Bolt Crosspin needed a little bit more Persuasion.  

That rifle does look like it has seen some use.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Very cool.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 5:03:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I like shooting mine...very pleasant and reliable.  Itt's built like a brick shithouse and weighs about the same for what it is.

I have a set of Magpul BUIS and a Leupold CQT...there's enough room for all of these to fit on the rail.  Hit the Bullpup rifle section here and search the threads if you need more info.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 7:45:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I saw one the other day for $1150, should I go back and scoop it up?

Daniel
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 8:03:03 AM EDT
[#24]
looked like some rust or pitting in some of the pics?
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#25]

I went to the funshow today to see if any of the dealers had one on hand. I saw one there, with a gunshow special cash price of $1799. I went ahead and fondled it some. It does have more heft than I expected. Maybe someday, if I can find a seller that is not looking for 50% profit rates.

Link Posted: 12/4/2010 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Only on the Ejector Rail it seemed.  The rest was all grease and lint.

Also, FWIW, if I came across one for $1200 or so, I'd probably buy it after taking it apart, though I would like to see some actual Testimonies from those who shoot theirs often.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only on the Ejector Rail it seemed.  The rest was all grease and lint.

Also, FWIW, if I came across one for $1200 or so, I'd probably buy it after taking it apart, though I would like to see some actual Testimonies from those who shoot theirs often.

The one I found was new in box, it was ordered ny a guy who backed out and never came and got it and finally canceled after a few months of it sitting there apparently.

Daniel
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#28]
If it is NIB, then why not, give it a shot.

Worst comes to worst, you don't like it, sell if for what you paid for it in the EE.  I'm sure someone will gladly take it off your hands for what you paid for it.

Link Posted: 12/5/2010 3:30:21 AM EDT
[#29]
post!

$1600-$1800?  Thats closing in on FN SCAR money

Kel Tec + 7.62NATO next to your temple =
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I just bought a rfb.  Keltec has come a long way with this rifle.
Previous keltec rifles left a lot to be desired in my opinion.
But the build quality on the rfb looks like it could have come from hk or sig...Course it has a hk or sig price to go with it.
But it's nice to see what keltec can really do when they decide to produce something like this

This is a great weapon for those of us who live where sbrs are illegal.

I shot 100 rounds thru mine with no problems this weekend.
Have a 1.5 x 4 scope on it.  Also sighted in a eotech sight

It will make a great coyote gun.

I paid a little more than I should have, from what I have seen here
But it is also the only one I had ever seen.

Link Posted: 12/7/2010 5:21:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just bought a rfb.  Keltec has come a long way with this rifle.
Previous keltec rifles left a lot to be desired in my opinion.
But the build quality on the rfb looks like it could have come from hk or sig...Course it has a hk or sig price to go with it.
But it's nice to see what keltec can really do when they decide to produce something like this

This is a great weapon for those of us who live where sbrs are illegal.

I shot 100 rounds thru mine with no problems this weekend.
Have a 1.5 x 4 scope on it.  Also sighted in a eotech sight

It will make a great coyote gun.

I paid a little more than I should have, from what I have seen here
But it is also the only one I had ever seen.

Thanks for the info!  Range report??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top