Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/29/2009 7:40:49 AM EDT
First of all. I will not disclose who told me this because it is a disclosure that FN will not take kindly to. So don't ask, don't IM me and don't ask me to explain myself. If you are one of the freaks who can't accept anything said on this board unless it can be verified eight ways to Sunday...then fine. I really don't care. So here goes....

Apparently, the initial factory run of SCAR upper receivers went to anodizing and came back way too "gold" for FN's specs. (Look at all advertisments, videos and such for the actual FN spec color of the upper, the upper and lower should pretty much match). It has been described to me that the anodizing of parts in FDE is tricky and can come out very "gold" looking if the process isn't done correctly.

So anyways, FN gets its first commercial run of uppers back from anodizing and they are very "gold". FN decides to go ahead and sell this huge batch of "gold" uppers and to call it a limited edition so that they can sell them without having to have them blasted and re-anodized...HAHA!

The next production run will be in the correct color for the uppers. So in a nutshell, the people paying $4500 for a "limited edition" are getting rifles that were actually screwed up and made in the wrong color. Smart move on FN's part. They took a botched run of uppers and turned them into a "gold" mine. No pun intended.

I personally do not like the gold look of the limited edition models at ALL. I think it looks stupid. I am glad that this is not supposed to be the final version of the SCAR because I will wait until they release the next "non-limited edition" run and get one that matches the lower.

This is how it should look.

This is how the bad batch came out.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:26:55 AM EDT
[#1]
That's funny right there!
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:33:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:35:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Never mind. kcolg30 deleted his silly comment.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:37:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Even in the photo of how it 'should' look, there are 3 different colors of FDE on the gun.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:38:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Cant we just have one in black?
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Even in the photo of how it 'should' look, there are 3 different colors of FDE on the gun.

Stay focused here..keep your eye on the ball. We are talking about the upper receiver.

Look at the first photo, then look at the second. One is FDE and one is gold. One matches the other parts pretty well. The second is way too goldish brown.

We all know that there are a lot of variances in FDE depending on who makes the plastic and so forth. There is never a "true" match in color. Companies do the best they can. The severe variance in color between the pre-production models and the "limited edition" model is obvious. Hell, even the photos on the FNH USA web site show the better matching model with the correct finish on the upper.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:43:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay focused here..keep your eye on the ball. We are talking about the upper receiver.

Look at the first photo, then look at the second. One is FDE and one is gold. One matches the other parts pretty well. The second is way too goldish brown.

We all know that there are a lot of variances in FDE depending on who makes the plastic and so forth. There is never a "true" match in color. Companies do the best they can. The severe variance in color between the pre-production models and the "limited edition" model is obvious. Hell, even the photos on the FNH USA web site show the better matching model with the correct finish on the upper.

True, but when the parts are all from the same manufacturer it would be nice to have a uniform color. Especially at that price.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:44:08 AM EDT
[#8]
That is freakin hilarious!
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#9]
That is certainly not the first time a botched run has been a special edition.

Selling an out of spec part as "special" for more money is outstanding.

Randy
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:50:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like FN may be reviewing their anodizing process, in terms of their supplier and

their own QC. Beyond that, it sounds like a very good business decision on FN's

part...calling it a LE.  Why not? People will likely be happy to buy it, and they will

have a "limited" version of the gun.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:51:20 AM EDT
[#11]
"I gots to get me one o' dem gold ones mang.. That shiz would match my grillz tight."

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I think it's ugly either way. I second the all black one. Smart marketing on FN's part. There is a sucker in every batch.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:53:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:54:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Yep.
Limited Edition: True
Reason why it's limited: Classified
Suckers who will pay exorbitant amount for it: Priceless

LOL
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:56:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know the SCAR takes AR15 mags but... shouldnt this be in the FN forum...

Are you saying that the SCAR isnt a form of AR?
It's an assault rifle.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, thank you, I was able to comprehend your post the first time around.  I'm just pointing out that the thing is fugly either way.  ACR for me unless FN does a 6.8 shortie in the SCAR.

Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:58:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's an assault rifle.

AR stands for Armalite, referring to the AR- series of weapons.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2009 7:13:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 7:13:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No. That's way too easy.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 7:26:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, thank you, I was able to comprehend your post the first time around.  I'm just pointing out that the thing is fugly either way.  ACR for me unless FN does a 6.8 shortie in the SCAR.

That would be delicious. Id take either one in 6.8.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 7:40:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 7:46:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Noveske came out with some PURPLE uppers and the SCAR has some GOLD uppers.

I think these could be a collector's item for any die hard Laker or LSU fans out there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Fantastic.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Rumor has it this man has bought up all the available limited additon SCAR's....

Link Posted: 1/29/2009 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Rumor has it this man has bought up all the available limited additon SCAR's....

http://daveintexas.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/goldfinger.jpg
Seriously?

Link Posted: 1/29/2009 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Nothat would be Scaramenga...The man WITH the Golden Guns.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#26]
MarineSniper8541, this sure sounds like it makes sense. The bright gold color that I see in many of the photos seems very odd. I had kind of figured they were having the same trouble Sig had with color matching when the SIG 556 first came out.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Touche!  

Link Posted: 1/29/2009 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

LOL I was thinking that was one of the top players on the Texas holdem scene

Very good!
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Reminds me of the lightweight lowers that were being sold.

Truth was that the lowers could not be sold with the company's name engraved on them because they were no longer in business. So, the company info was milled away, the lowers were restamped and then sold as special lightweight models.

Link Posted: 1/29/2009 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an assault rifle.

Not to jump you or anything but to share knowledge,, By definition Assault Rifles are select fire with burst or full auto capability. The Civilian SCAR, the AR15 types and other similar styled guns do not have that feature and are only look a likes not true assault rifles. I point his out to non shooters when the subject arises to try and undo the confusion caused by the news media. I also tell them "If you put Dale Ernhardt decals on your car doors does that make it a 200MPH NASCAR racer?" And AR does indeed stand for ArmaLite.

Link Posted: 1/29/2009 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't think people are paying the high price because they are a "limited" edition, but rather because they are the only edition out right now and they want to be the first kid on the block to have one.

But FN isn't the only company to mess up the FDE anodizing, Sig has their "gold" P226 combat that they call FDE...

Link Posted: 1/29/2009 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's funny right there!

BOOOOOHOOOOHAAHHAHAHAHHAAH!

Link Posted: 1/29/2009 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Right color, wrong color...whatever. I'm not purchasing a $4,500 5.56NATO rifle so not going for one until they at least have them at the MSRP of around $2,300 or less.

Link Posted: 1/29/2009 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an assault rifle.

Not to jump you or anything but to share knowledge,, By definition Assault Rifles are select fire with burst or full auto capability. The Civilian SCAR, the AR15 types and other similar styled guns do not have that feature and are only look a likes not true assault rifles. I point his out to non shooters when the subject arises to try and undo the confusion caused by the news media. I also tell them "If you put Dale Ernhardt decals on your car doors does that make it a 200MPH NASCAR racer?" And AR does indeed stand for ArmaLite.

I know that. I was being facetious.

I think that a better term for the AR-15 type rifle is the Stoner rifle, much the same way at the AK is also called the Kalashnikov.

The term AR is becoming more and more of a generic term for any type of tactical rifle.
When asked what kinds of ARs someone has, they may list a Rock River, a SIG 556, an AK and a Mini-14.

So, the AR Discussions forum on this site should not be strictly for the Stoner type since we all own more that just that type. There is no reason we should not be able to discuss those rifles in a consolidated forum. Is it hurting anyone if we do?
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't think people are paying the high price because they are a "limited" edition, but rather because they are the only edition out right now and they want to be the first kid on the block to have one.

But FN isn't the only company to mess up the FDE anodizing, Sig has their "gold" P226 combat that they call FDE...

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/P226-Combat-TB-detail-L.jpg

I think this is true, and also I can easily believe that a mistake like this can happen.  I will wait also, for the price to drop.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

+1
All I want is a matching black one.
And $4500 was more like $9275
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=120173823

Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Indeed!
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:The term AR is becoming more and more of a generic term for any type of tactical rifle.  When asked what kinds of ARs someone has, they may list a Rock River, a SIG 556, an AK and a Mini-14.

Only to idiots.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Actually the special editions came about due to the ATF saying the engraving wasnt good enough, so FN engraved the opposite side of the gun.

This is why there are finish imperfections due to the SCAR's being clamped and engraved post anodizing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah it's called a Robinson Armament XCR
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 4:50:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:.

The term AR is becoming more and more of a generic term for any type of tactical rifle.
When asked what kinds of ARs someone has, they may list a Rock River, a SIG 556, an AK and a Mini-14.

I hope that your sources @ FN are savvy enough not make stupid comments like this
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 5:11:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:.

I hope that your sources @ FN are savvy enough not make stupid comments like this

If that is a stupid coment (thanks for the personal insult) then why is it heard so often?
Just because a lot of people refer to the Stoner rifle as the AR does not mean that the term isn't becoming morphed to encompass all "tactical rifles" since there are so many more options coming to the market.

This is 2009 not 1989. The Stoner "AR" isn't the only good 5.56 game in town anymore. We has humans love to categorize things. What kind of truck or car do you drive? You reply with the make and model. But it's still a car or truck with four wheels, an internal combustion engine, electronic fuel injection etc, etc. But GM and Ford's vehicles are not the same design at all.

It doesn't matter if it is a 556, an HK-93, an AR-15, a Mini-14 or a Kel-Tec. It is still a magazine fed, gas operated, shoulder fired, air cooled weapon and we as humans love to put a generalized term on it. That is why so many people have called them all Assault Weapons.

I'd be careful about how staunchly you defend the use of the term AR. Less you drive people to use a different term that we all know and hate to refer to the "other" guns with. Hell, the term AR already eludes badly enough to "Assault Rifle" to those who are not as well versed.

Im sorry if you are unaware of the fact that the term "AR" is being used more generally now. I hear it all the time at gun shows. There is a life outside this web site, ya know? And I'd venture to say that less than 1/3 of all "AR" owners are members of this or the other site.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 5:15:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 5:20:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've never heard anyone refer to anything other than an AR-15 as an "AR".

Never.

I have heard AR-10's sometimes , maybe my AR-180

I have never heard anyone refer to an AK, Sig or Mini-14 as an AR .

Maybe refer to them as "Assault Rifles" (which is still wrong)

AR is not short for "Assault Rifle" and anyone thinking so should be immediately corrected.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If that is a stupid coment (thanks for the personal insult) then why is it heard so often?

Don't take it as a personal insult. I said the comment was stupid, not the commentator. The practice of referring to a segment of firearms as ARs because it can  incorrectly be used as a shorten form of 'Assault Rifles' is not only stupid, but also dangerous to us as firearm owners. If it is heard it is because those who would deny us the use of such firearms have made it popular. If you hear someone refer to other rifles incorrectly, correct them. AR is not synonymous with "Assault Rifles" or "Tactical Rifles". The use of the tern "Tactical Rifle" is also incorrect in referring to Sigs, ARs, HKs, AKs, etc, etc. Those are terms that Anti's have coined to refer to this segment of firearms. Do not perpetuate the myth of "assault rifles" or "tactical killing machines' by referring to a segment of firearms in simple terms. Don't take any of this personal.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't take it as a personal insult. I said the comment was stupid, not the commentator. The practice of referring to a segment of firearms as ARs because it can  incorrectly be used as a shorten form of 'Assault Rifles' is not only stupid, but also dangerous to us as firearm owners. If it is heard it is because those who would deny us the use of such firearms have made it popular. If you hear someone refer to other rifles incorrectly, correct them. AR is not synonymous with "Assault Rifles" or "Tactical Rifles". The use of the tern "Tactical Rifle" is also incorrect in referring to Sigs, ARs, HKs, AKs, etc, etc. Those are terms that Anti's have coined to refer to this segment of firearms. Do not perpetuate the myth of "assault rifles" or "tactical killing machines' by referring to a segment of firearms in simple terms. Don't take any of this personal.

While I agree with the Assault Rifle issue, I disagree with the tactical rifle issue. These rifles, all variants, and rifles of other brands are in fact tactical rifles. They are designed for, product improved for the purpose of, and accessorized for tactical use. Just because a rifle might be used for sporting events, target shooting or hunting does not mean that they are not tactical rifles by design. Anyone who disagrees with that fact is simply so afraid of having any title such as that attached to the weapons for fear of gun control that they are simply in denial.

So anyways....back to the SCAR
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#48]
LOL,
and the SCAR still does nothing for me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 7:24:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
LOL,
and the SCAR still does nothing for me.

Not even if we dress it up all sexy in a lace corset and some high heels?
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#50]
FN...shame on you, but very good marketing, and better yet there are idiots out there paying almost 10K for semi-auto screwed up SCAR.  

I
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top