Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 1/3/2006 2:17:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -brass-]
In the four wheeling world, there are hundreds of cheap mods you can perform on your vehicle for little or no money.  I dont know how well this will work in the firearm community, but I will give it a try.

Use WD-40 to clean cosmoline off a rifle.  Its basically gasoline in a can and cheaper then using Hopes.

A .223 / 5.56 shell can be used to adjust the front site on an AR, you use a file to cut some notches and it works perfectly.

Instead of buying a $30 piece of plastic for a receiver block when working with the rifle in a vise, use a cheap 30 round USA made steel magazine.  You can go to home depot or any craft store and purchase a do it yourself molding kit.  Pour epoxy or some other material into the mag body to make it stronger.

Link Posted: 6/8/2006 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By lew:

Originally Posted By Sniper_Wolfe:
This might seem really lame-ass, but line the insides of your AK handguards with aluminum foil. It WORKS!

I did the same for my FAL's handguards. The aluminum tape was cheap and it turned out very nicely.

I used aluminum tape to heat shield the Choate handgaurds on my AK. It actually works better than the Kvar heat shielded handgaurds.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#2]
tagged for future use
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By gunsandguitars:
I wash my glock in the dishwasher... get's it fresh and, 'Whee Whooow', cleeeeeeeeeen azuh whistle.
Oh, another thing I do is bend the main springs hammer springs on my AR w/a torch, and then file/hone the engagement area down.

THen, while holding the trigger... I pry up on the hammer with just a little bit less force than it woudl take to break it, and squeze the trigger. THis broaches the trigger's edge.

Learned that from Clarks, really works great.

Just make sure that you don't put detergent in there, especially lemon type. It is highly corrosive.
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#4]
also make sure you don't use that dishwasher for your family's dishes...

lead is bad for you...  bc
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#5]
A Big +1 on that i've had other lubes bake off during long shooting events and I use the drill/chamber brush all the time

usmc5593

Originally Posted By 1-Michigun:
#1 Use Mobil-1 synthetic motor oil for lube.
#2 Chuck your chamber brush into a drill so you can REALLY clean out everything behind the lugs & in the chamber.
Link Posted: 9/4/2006 2:55:39 AM EDT
[#6]
This was a fantastic idea!  My lower (DPMS) & upper (Stag) had just a minor wobble to it.  I placed a #6 o-ring on because I got corn-fused hich
Just an FYI:  I did buy a box of both #6 & #7,  the dia.'s are different but the thickness' on both are 1/16.
Link Posted: 9/19/2006 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By Forest:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textQuote><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Originally Posted By Hellhound:
...maybe try a section of rubber hose or a Hogue rubber grippy thing.
<hr height=1px color=black noshade>

Dont use either - they can (and do) slide around blocking the magazine release and occasionally preventing insertion of a magazine.

This can be remedied easily.  I put a little shot of 3M spray adhesive under my glock sock (Hogue rubber grippy thing is the techical term for it) before I put it on.  I also used a sharp pair of scissors and cut out a little around the mag release and a little off the bottom.  

it doesn't slide around and has NEVER got in the way of a mag change or reload.  and it's 10x better feeling than a stock Glock grip.

OK so for my cheap remedy that is useful;  Skateboard grip tape- I have this stuff on the back of my Kimber 1911 grip strap.  it sticks on the the devil himself and offers tons of grip.  hence the name "Grip Tape".

I use this stuff on lots of things that need a better grip.  it's hard on your skin for a short time till your hide knocks some of the tooth off and then it's great.
Link Posted: 9/30/2006 8:37:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#8]
instead of coughing up cash for a duckbill, gapper, magpul trigger guard, etc....

use an ear plug
Link Posted: 10/2/2006 9:03:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#9]

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:
instead of coughing up cash for a duckbill, gapper, magpul trigger guard, etc....

use an ear plug

I thought I was the only one who did that!

+1 on the idea... works great.  Sometimes they "go missing" but it certainly isn't hard to replace em.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/2/2006 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#10]
a .45ACP shell cassing is a good tool to use to clean the carbon off the bolt nipple.  Just slip it over the end and then roll it around.
Link Posted: 10/2/2006 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#11]
if you have an old skillcraft ink pen. You can take the guts out of it. Then you jam the metal part where the pen comes out over the front site. using a nail to push down on the detent you have a front sight wrench....
Link Posted: 10/2/2006 11:06:21 PM EDT
[#12]
If you get stitches they usually throw away the hemos and forceps when they are done if you ask they let you keep them, if you dont mind the blood. believe me i have lots
the angled ones are very handy
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:11:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Easy reactive targets using a 2X4 sharpened into a stake then placed into the ground.....loop a piece of cardboard at the top....place  balloon in the loop...take a cardboard training target and staple a card board square on the back place that over the loop with the balloon...when the balloon is shot the target falls....so only center mass hits drop the target.....
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 1:37:47 AM EDT
[#14]
can I use this trick for installing barrels?
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By JedYonkers:
If you get stitches they usually throw away the hemos and forceps when they are done if you ask they let you keep them, if you dont mind the blood. believe me i have lots
the angled ones are very handy

Next time I cut myself deep enough to need a Doc, I'll have to remember that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 12:19:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#16]

Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:

Originally Posted By Forest:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textQuote><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Originally Posted By Hellhound:
...maybe try a section of rubber hose or a Hogue rubber grippy thing.
<hr height=1px color=black noshade>

Dont use either - they can (and do) slide around blocking the magazine release and occasionally preventing insertion of a magazine.

This can be remedied easily.  I put a little shot of 3M spray adhesive under my glock sock (Hogue rubber grippy thing is the techical term for it) before I put it on.  I also used a sharp pair of scissors and cut out a little around the mag release and a little off the bottom.  

it doesn't slide around and has NEVER got in the way of a mag change or reload.  and it's 10x better feeling than a stock Glock grip.

OK so for my cheap remedy that is useful;  Skateboard grip tape- I have this stuff on the back of my Kimber 1911 grip strap.  it sticks on the the devil himself and offers tons of grip.  hence the name "Grip Tape".

I use this stuff on lots of things that need a better grip.  it's hard on your skin for a short time till your hide knocks some of the tooth off and then it's great.

To make this a bit easier for the Glock grip Hogue thingy, you can use hair spray......  This is how I have installed motorcycle and bicycle grips for years!

I also use the grip tape on the front of my Kimber grip frame because I am too cheap to checker it.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#17]
When shooting at the range yesterday I set my Starlight gun case on the bench to my right with the lid propped up. It caught all but 6 of 100 rounds of brass.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 5:25:24 AM EDT
[#18]
For handgun dry firing put an earplug between the hammer and firing pin.
And +1 for Q-tips, I use them on every gun I clean.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I was sighting in and bent the buffer detent that holds back the buffer and spring on my AR15. I emailed the company and got no help. so I looked into my "junk" box and found a cleaning rod that fit onto the hole. I used the female end to allow for a place for the spring to go. I cut the rod off about 3" long then marked it for the milling. To mill it, I put a file in a vise and the rod into a drill. After using sand paper to take it down to the right diameter, I shaped it with the file and drill. The jaw of the vise work well for steadying the rod and the turning of the rod against the file cuts it fast. Use the damaged detent to get the nipple on it right. Make it a bit longer than you need so that you can cut and file it to length. I used my jeweler's saw to cut off the finished part from the rest of the rod. Thus far I've put 100's of rounds through the weapon with the part giving no further problem. Hope this helps somebody.
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 12:39:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 74SHARPS] [#21]

use an ear plug
www.airsoft-guns-expert.com/files/airsoftguns/gfx/airsoft-guns-expert-logo.gif

That works great.

Another tip: use charcoal brickettes for targets. They just about blow-up when hit and leave no sharp stuff to do hurt.
Link Posted: 12/13/2006 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#22]
very helpful ideas in this topic
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I like to use microfiber cloths for cleaning. They pickup & hold a lot of crud. Great shop towels. Don't leave a lot of lint. Cheap. Washable.  
I use them in uppers and slides & pull them through like boresnakes. Or, cut strips and wrap around a toothbrush. Or, pinch material into slide rails & wipe out.

Many uses. Try one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:41:00 AM EDT
[#24]
An easy way to scrape carbon off the "bell" of an AR bolt...  (the tail end, near the gas rings)
...just use the hole in your charging handle.

Link Posted: 12/27/2006 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 10:14:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By bigbore:

Originally Posted By RRA-A2:
An easy way to scrape carbon off the "bell" of an AR bolt...  (the tail end, near the gas rings)
...just use the hole in your charging handle.
i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/highpowerkid/bolthandle.jpg

Using aluminum to scrape carbon off steel?

It works for me!

The top part of the hole in my charging handle has a sharper edge than the rest of the hole.
That's the part I use to scrape, as the pic shows.
At least that's how mine is...  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:10:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scotts_gunparts2] [#27]
One thing I do when I lose a small part, is to get the shop vac and a pair of panty hose. Take the panty hose and place it on the nozzle of the shop vac and secure it with a rubber band. Turn vac on, vac area you believe said part is, place your hand on nozzle, turn vac off, part now in your hand.

Also panty hose works good on removing light surface rust.

For the reloaders, using corn cob or walnut media to polish your brass go to wally world or Pets Mart or any other pet supply place and get the lizard or bird cage litter it'll save you a good chunk of change.

A cheap metal target I use is the things the moblie home movers use when they haul a home around. Get a torch cut them to shape and size and you get the lovely sound when you hit it........ TING.

Toothpicks work good in cleaning dirt, carbon, etc from Flash suppressors, sights, bcg, lugs, etc.

An old sock filled with dried peas work as a bench rest, etc.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:51:47 AM EDT
[#28]
I also forgot:
For the reloaders, a .45 acp factory ammo plastic shell holder will hold .308 win cases. Same money by not having to get a case holder.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By scotts_gunparts2:
I also forgot:
For the reloaders, a .45 acp factory ammo plastic shell holder will hold .308 win cases. Same money by not having to get a case holder.

same with 9mm and 5.56 cases

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also instead of buying 10 for $8 of long gas tube pipe cleaners go to a hobby store or walmart and get th really long pipe cleaners from the craft section at 100 for $1.50
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#30]
sorry to bust in, am new to ar15 and need to figure out how to post a question regarding some barrel questions? can anybody help?
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By Dace:
Found this one in my girl friends home magazine.

Krylon sells magnetic paint.

Krylon Magnetic Paint

Paint your workbench with it, you can even paint over it to paint your workbench another color once the magnetic paint has been applied.

Then your entire workbench will be magnetic and you can use the whole surface to hold springs and detents.  Get rid of the ugly magnetic mats.

huh, great idea. im going to paint the toy box im going to build my daughter with it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Krylon Magnetic Paint

Paint your workbench with it, ...
Then your entire workbench will be magnetic and you can use the whole surface to hold springs and detents.  Get rid of the ugly magnetic mats.

Have you tried that?  The Krylon page says:

Creates a surface that magnets will stick to

I take that to mean that it has enough iron in the paint that magnets will stick, but that the paint itself isn't magnetic and won't hold anything that's not magnetic itself.  

If that's true, your workbench idea won't work.   (But the play box would work just like the fridge for the daughter's toys.)
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#33]
If you have a VLTOR stock or one of the $20 add-on cheek rests with battery compartments, try this. I cut pieces of 1/8" steel, 3/4" wide by 3 1/2" long, wrap in foam and carry in the battery compartment. It's the perfect thickness for Weaver style thumbscrews. For allen head screws I shorten the short leg of an allen head wrench to 3/4", wrap in foam and put in and empty bore brush tube and then into the battery compartment. You still have the other side free for spare batteries or a small bottle of CLP.  You never know when you'll need to tighten or remove mounts/optics and your tools are always with your rifles in the field.
Link Posted: 1/13/2007 2:20:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 4:54:53 AM EDT
[#35]
As far as magnets, plastic bags, sheet-forts (), and panty-hose vacuums go, you could also try a bulk tape eraser.

They're pretty much big, fat, heavy, whirring electro-magnets that plug into a standard socket and are made to erase taps (hence the name). They're very powerful.
I happened to have one on hand, so I use it whenever I lose little metal things.

Just remember, 1 minute on, 20 minutes off.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By Mike_L:

Krylon Magnetic Paint

I take that to mean that it has enough iron in the paint that magnets will stick, but that the paint itself isn't magnetic and won't hold anything that's not magnetic itself.  

If that's true, your workbench idea won't work.   (But the play box would work just like the fridge for the daughter's toys.)

if it really has alot of lead in it, i dont see it being to safe, im going to have to look into it further.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By badazzar15:

Originally Posted By Mike_L:

Krylon Magnetic Paint

if it really has alot of lead in it, i dont see it being to safe, im going to have to look into it further.

Lead isn't magnetic....
Link Posted: 3/1/2007 1:18:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Handy trick if you're like me and are always forgetting things: If you get to the range and you forgot to bring ear protection just tear the filters off of a couple of cigarettes and stuff them in your ears.
Link Posted: 3/1/2007 1:26:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dontgiveahoot] [#39]
Oh, and to solve the magnetic surface problem: href=Flexible Magnetic Sheet

Haven't used it myself, but it should work, right?

24" wide, $5.49 a foot. Spend 20-25 dollars and you've got a magnetic surface big enough for nearly any AR.

[Edited to activate the link]
Link Posted: 3/1/2007 1:53:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Store your weedeater / grass trimmer line in a coffee can filled with water with the lid on it.

It will last longer & be more flexible so it will cut better.
Link Posted: 3/1/2007 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By dontgiveahoot:
Handy trick if you're like me and are always forgetting things: If you get to the range and you forgot to bring ear protection just tear the filters off of a couple of cigarettes and stuff them in your ears.

I wrap a set of ear plugs in a pastic baggie and stuff them in the Hogue grip of each of my ARs for such occasions.
Link Posted: 3/1/2007 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I've used a old 9mm cartridge tray from a box of ammo to lay handgun frames on to drive pins out.

Once I was zeroing a scope at the range and forgot a screwdriver. A 7.62x54R shell's rim works quite nicely though!

Link Posted: 3/2/2007 4:04:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -RotorDemon-] [#43]

#2 Chuck your chamber brush into a drill so you can REALLY clean out everything behind the lugs & in the chamber.

I've done that.. Works great! but it screws up the brush real quick.

I will disassemble a handgun that I am unfamiliar with inside of a zip lock bag so any surprise springs or things don't end up flying across the room and down the heater vent.

(Been there)
Link Posted: 3/2/2007 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#44]
The best muzzle cover? A condom with a rubber band to hold it on. Shoot-off, waterproof and dirt cheap.

Yeah, I learned it from a Demi Moore movie, but she was frickin' hot in that movie!

For a heck of a lot of cheap survival tricks this guy has a lot of neat stuff on his website. Condoms, film canisters, 550 cord and pop cans can do anything.
Link Posted: 3/20/2007 12:18:15 AM EDT
[#45]
I picked the lead out of a pencil and used the hollow wood to adjust my AR front site today.  Can't get much torque like this so be sure the detent pin is fully depressed while adjusting.
Link Posted: 3/20/2007 2:23:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Tag for tips
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Spend the money on a hard chrome carrier and bolt instead of one of those POS parkerized bitches.

Wipes clean, more consistent lockup, better lubricity, less malfunctions.  Nothing dumber than a rifle with $2000 worth of mods and stock, marginally adequate internals.

(Skipping the story about why the Army decided to change numerous specs including the HC internals.)
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 11:06:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeWilliamson] [#48]

Originally Posted By Citat3962:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textQuote><hr height=1px color=black noshade>  Real estate signs are even sturdier!!!<hr height=1px color=black noshade>

Yes, but Realtors have to pay for those, so you're stealing and hurting their business.

The political signs, however...I can't WAIT for election season
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 11:55:40 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By -RotorDemon-:

I've done that.. Works great! but it screws up the brush real quick.

I will disassemble a handgun that I am unfamiliar with inside of a zip lock bag so any surprise springs or things don't end up flying across the room and down the heater vent.

(Been there)

thats what i do to, but like he said, by by to the chamber brush.
Link Posted: 3/31/2007 12:18:48 AM EDT
[#50]

use an ear plug

You all do realize that trigger guard FOLDS DOWN for use with gloves, and that "plugging" that "gap" makes that impossible, right?

I also have to wonder how small people's fingers are if they get pinched in there?

I first saw those things and thought they were a stupid solution to a non-problem.

Ten years later...I still think so.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top