Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2005 1:37:54 PM EDT
I am a fucking genius!  I hated the factory sights on the Winchester 94AE Ranger Compact I got... I love the rifle, but damn, I hate those notch rear sights.  So, I did something about it.  

Check it.  Epoxied a $.60 flat rubber washer to the leaf and now it's a decent aperture rear sight:

Total cost: about $1.00.  I already had the epoxy around.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an older win 94 30-30 with a williams peep site on it I like alot.Not a bad fix you have there,however consider the williams peep,longer sight radius,more precise adjustment,and it is not that expensive,I bought it years ago and I think I only paid 30 bucks for it.Have you shot it yet with you new sight on it?
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Haven't gotten to the range.  Heck, I just did that a few hours ago.  I know it's not the best solution, and I probably will try to get something better in the future.  (probably the XS system, as the new Win 94s are not tapped for the Williams sights....)

It's a good <$2 solution if you just hate notch sights like that.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 1:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I am selling a chinese sks to finance a win 94 in .357,gonna go with a scout scope mount,and a ghost ring rear sight,what is the cost of an xs rear sight,and how adjustable is it?Do you need an allen wrench to adjust it or anything special?
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#4]
The XS sights sit on the back of the receiver, and use the screw holes for a rear scope mount.  AFAIK, elevation is controlled by twisting the aperture 1/2 turn at a time.  I think that gives like .5moa at 100 yards.  Windage is through an allen key through the side of the assembly.  Here it is:

And here is the link to it from XS systems.  It DOES include the front sight, which is taller than the factory front blade.  I believe Brownells has it listed, but last I saw they were out of stock.  I think their price was about the same... so if you had a C&R or other FFL on file with Brownells, you could get a discount.  Those are the sights I am eventually going to get.  The factory rear sight will be going bye-bye when I get a round tuit.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#5]
i have the xs sights on my win 1894 trapper in 44 mag. elevation and windage are adjustable on the rear sight. the apperature is very large and is not threaded to take a smaller apperature. if you like the large apperature on the ar15 you will like the xs sight. the xs sight set is very $$$. if i had it to do over again i would get the lyman sight. i would rather have an sks with an apperature sight than an 1894.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i have the xs sights on my win 1894 trapper in 44 mag. elevation and windage are adjustable on the rear sight. the apperature is very large and is not threaded to take a smaller apperature. if you like the large apperature on the ar15 you will like the xs sight. the xs sight set is very $$$. if i had it to do over again i would get the lyman sight. i would rather have an sks with an apperature sight than an 1894.

The xs sight sounds good guys,thanks.I do like the larger aperature on the ar sight,so it should work out fine.As to rather having an sks with a peep,yea a friend of mine installed one on a yugo of his,might get around to outfitting one of mine someday with a peep,but always wanted a win94 in .357mag,and I already have 13 sks rifles
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 7:43:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, my genius has unravelled itself.  It appears the 'leaf' with the notch in it is metal, and the washer is rubber, so the epoxy wouldn't hold it well.  The damn thing fell off last night when I accidentally brushed it.  

Oh well, no big deal, not much $ out of my pocket or anything.  Guess I'll have to save up for the XS sights sooner!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top