Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2017 11:55:13 PM EDT
So I have two helmets. A OneTigris PJ bump and a Lancer that's nearly identical.

Do to an inopportune collision between my upper forhead/hairline area and concrete when I was younger it's very uncomfortable when I don these helmets after even a short amount of time.

It appears the cheap pads are simple held on via Velcro so my question is can I just replace them with a better pad system?   Or am I off base here?

What do you guys recommend if I can accomplish this. I know they are scum but people seem to think the TW pads are nice.

Or, does someone make a gel pad that just replaces the brow pad?  

I really need a solution here because while I can soldier through the annoyance and pain I'd rather not. It's quite irritating.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:50:14 AM EDT
[#1]
The liner is integrated with the front pad. I'll look at it tomorrow to see if we can gut it and replace it with something more conforming. I have some pads in mind that are drying up now. I'll IM you if I think they will work.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#2]
The whole OCC Dial assembly can be easily removed and replaced with a better pad system. I did it with my airsoft bump helmet and again with my FAST helmet. The caveat to that is you'll also have to replace the chinstrap as well.

I used a TW Epic pad set I had laying around, they may suck politically, but the pads work. The dropped in an Ops Core H-Nape. However as soon as I have the funds I'm dropping the 4D pad set in since I want the feel of titties in my dome piece.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The whole OCC Dial assembly can be easily removed and replaced with a better pad system. I did it with my airsoft bump helmet and again with my FAST helmet. The caveat to that is you'll also have to replace the chinstrap as well.

I used a TW Epic pad set I had laying around, they may suck politically, but the pads work. The dropped in an Ops Core H-Nape. However as soon as I have the funds I'm dropping the 4D pad set in since I want the feel of titties in my dome piece.
View Quote
Well, relative to what I just spent on all the rest of this stuff pads and chin straps appear to be cheap lol. At least the Epic pads and the chin strap.

So if I go TW (which I'm debating) this is the stuff?
HStrap
TW Epic pads

Gotta be honest those pads are better than mine, I'm sure, but I need a really beefy brow pad.

The 4D pads TW too?

Edit: wait I think I found them. The 4G tactical  zero G pads?  $110 at TNVC?  Is that what you're talking about?

Would I have to do a gut job for those if they are indeed the pads in question?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The liner is integrated with the front pad. I'll look at it tomorrow to see if we can gut it and replace it with something more conforming. I have some pads in mind that are drying up now. I'll IM you if I think they will work.
View Quote
Roger.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can make the 4D pads work on your helmet, I suggest that move.  I recently upgraded my Ops Core and it was a world of difference.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you can make the 4D pads work on your helmet, I suggest that move.  I recently upgraded my Ops Core and it was a world of difference.
View Quote
Can you either describe or show a photo of the conversion. I am a little confused how this conversion works with an Ops-Core Halo.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can you either describe or show a photo of the conversion. I am a little confused how this conversion works with an Ops-Core Halo.
View Quote
The Ops Core retrofit replaces the pads, and the liner portions that are built into the OCC Dial.

I don't like the OCC Dial, so I pulled it out and replaced the pad set entirely. Had to add a couple pieces if Velcro, and the chinstrap, but it works well.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#9]
That looks like it reduces the interior volume of the helmet significantly. It looks like the front EPP pad is still in place in addition to the upgrade pad. If so, someone that is near the size limit of a helmet may find that the helmet no longer fits after retrofitting the upgrade pads.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#10]
They are surprisingly squishy. Doesn't change the fit of the helmet much, but damn do they improve the comfort immensely.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
4d Tactical. nuff said
View Quote
Looks like a good route to take. I'll call you guys when I'm ready to do it because I have a couple of specific questions.

It's a must have. It's bad. The new OneTigris helmet I got is really bad after just walking the dog.

The old Lancer at least lasted me a 4 mile hike. The helmets appear to be almost identical and feel almost identical so I'm not quite sure why the Lancer feels so much better but even that was killing me towards the end of that hike.

It simply has to get fixed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Looks like a good route to take. I'll call you guys when I'm ready to do it because I have a couple of specific questions.

It's a must have. It's bad. The new OneTigris helmet I got is really bad after just walking the dog.

The old Lancer at least lasted me a 4 mile hike. The helmets appear to be almost identical and feel almost identical so I'm not quite sure why the Lancer feels so much better but even that was killing me towards the end of that hike.

It simply has to get fixed.
View Quote
For the time being, you should be able to swap liners from one helmet to the other.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:02:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok. Until I save up the $110 plus whatever else I need for theTNVC pads I had a shot in the dark idea that would cost less than $10 if it didn't work.

I cut it to fit the brow pad area. I also removed the rear pad to make room so my head would still fit.

It works. Great. For now. Until I save up for the legit  pads. It's a little tighter which I was worried about but there was zero discomfort just now when I walked the dog. Usually I start to feel it after about one minute. Non after this "mod". I can't wait to replace all the pads with the legit pads so they all feel like this.

Ghetto fab
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:04:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
After you try the 4D pads you will NEVER want to wear anything else. While that may sound like a cheesy sales pitch (), it's not meant to be...BUT the 4D pads are that comfy!!
View Quote
I'm sure they are better than this ghetto ass shoe pad I just shoved in there so I really can't wait to get them. Next pay check.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The Ops Core retrofit replaces the pads, and the liner portions that are built into the OCC Dial.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/243409/-T2eC16VHJGQFFhggHsFtBSR2ZDIl6---60-3-175970.jpg

I don't like the OCC Dial, so I pulled it out and replaced the pad set entirely. Had to add a couple pieces if Velcro, and the chinstrap, but it works well.
View Quote
What chinstrap did you use? I'm in the process of doing the same, but the Ops-Core X-nape isn't fitting the combination of my bucket sized nug and the Fast Bump's rear screw spacing. 
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#17]
It's tight because you didn't remove the brow pad. You have to pull the OCC Dial out and remove two screws on the brow pad to let it loose. That'll help a lot with the tightness.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's tight because you didn't remove the brow pad. You have to pull the OCC Dial out and remove two screws on the brow pad to let it loose. That'll help a lot with the tightness.
View Quote
Is that what those are?  I looked a little but didn't want to pry too much. I will now though. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Is that what those are?  I looked a little but didn't want to pry too much. I will now though. Thanks!
View Quote

Stick your finger in the notch and pull towards the middle of the helmet to detach the front of the dial band. The padding on the front of the band wraps around the dial band.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
After you try the 4D pads you will NEVER want to wear anything else. While that may sound like a cheesy sales pitch (), it's not meant to be...BUT the 4D pads are that comfy!!This
View Quote
This...this...this....feels like a nice set of ta tas resting on my melon.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What chinstrap did you use? I'm in the process of doing the same, but the Ops-Core X-nape isn't fitting the combination of my bucket sized nug and the Fast Bump's rear screw spacing. 
View Quote
That's not my helmet, but I used an H Nape with my lid.

Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:17:56 AM EDT
[#22]

This is what I did with my Ops Core Carbon. Such a world of difference.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/253448/image-177075.jpg

View Quote
Shouldnt the brow pad replace the one in the opscore liner? I have a set of 4d pads on the way & I've been wondering how they all interface.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Shouldnt the brow pad replace the one in the opscore liner? I have a set of 4d pads on the way & I've been wondering how they all interface.
View Quote
I tried to do that, but the stock Ops Core brow pad is glued to the headband. I found that the way I set up the pads is super comfortable and stable, so I left it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/253448/image-177075.jpg

View Quote
That looks like heaven.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:42:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Anyone care to compare heat retention from stock to their choice of upgraded pads? Of course, it's end of March at 0240 hrs local and already 63 degrees outside. Heat is almost more important to me than comfort, unfortunately. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top