Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2014 1:17:28 PM EDT
-no need to talk about the legality of owning/wanting to own this device, we all know they are for LEO/MIL/GOV purchase-

A few questions I have are;
How difficult are pattern generators to come by (anyone looking to sell a single pattern generator PM me please)?  
Is it recoil sensitive?  
Value (average condition/just the device and no accessories other than diffuser)?  
Would this work well on a rifle as a good, simplistic IR device for hunting?  It would theoretically be used with my MUM-14.  

I am in the military, and prefer to have my own kit at home as well as overseas.  
Thanks for any and all information.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
-no need to talk about the legality of owning/wanting to own this device, we all know they are for LEO/MIL/GOV purchase-

A few questions I have are;
How difficult are pattern generators to come by (anyone looking to sell a single pattern generator PM me please)?  
Is it recoil sensitive?  
Value (average condition/just the device and no accessories other than diffuser)?  
Would this work well on a rifle as a good, simplistic IR device for hunting?  It would theoretically be used with my MUM-14.  

I am in the military, and prefer to have my own kit at home as well as overseas.  
Thanks for any and all information.  

View Quote

going off memory, there is a 'diffuser' one and then there are pattern generator ones. the diffuser one is most useful, imo, and tries to disperse the laser illuminator since it can't be adjusted / fixed beam but really can't compare to the spill and warmth of a LED illuminator. it will, however, reach out way past pistol distances, both the illuminator and laser since it's a high power and the illuminator is a tight beam. The white light is also incandescent and can't compete with a new surefire outputs. The unit shouldn't be scoffed at though because for the longest time it was, and still is, a great compromising unit that can do all 4 functions given its drawbacks
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:54:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a good device for what it is, an all in one with nothing super special.
IMO, you're better served with the newer Laser devices DBALPL that is coming out. Has all four functions modernized and under warranty.
Spare bulbs are a bitch on the peq14, its some weird design that ive almost crunched the spares on several occasions.
I run mine on a full auto mk18 with can, holds up fine. I use it in conjunction with a surefire m952v with the surefire dual cable switch. Trying to finagle the buttons on the peq14 are a pain in hte ass so the remote cable makes it a lot easier.
The surefire also provides a much better visible light, and a decent upclose flood in IR, thus fulfilling the gap in upclose flood the peq14 illuminator lacks. So with both on in IR you get close flood, far illum, and far laser. its perfect for an SBR length rifle caliber IMO.

Biggest issue is warranty, if it breaks you're hosed. But if you can find one new for cheap, I'd say go for it.
Don't expect to find any pistol holsters for it besdies the M9.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMO, you're better served with the newer Laser devices DBALPL that is coming out. Has all four functions modernized and under warranty.
Spare bulbs are a bitch on the peq14, its some weird design that ive almost crunched the spares on several occasions.
I run mine on a full auto mk18 with can, holds up fine. I use it in conjunction with a surefire m952v with the surefire dual cable switch. Trying to finagle the buttons on the peq14 are a pain in hte ass so the remote cable makes it a lot easier.
The surefire also provides a much better visible light, and a decent upclose flood in IR, thus fulfilling the gap in upclose flood the peq14 illuminator lacks. So with both on in IR you get close flood, far illum, and far laser. its perfect for an SBR length rifle caliber IMO.

Biggest issue is warranty, if it breaks you're hosed. But if you can find one new for cheap, I'd say go for it.
View Quote

Cheap, as in $385 cheap

I would mainly use it for it's IR function, which it excels at.  What cable switch would you recommend that works for the PEQ-14?  DBAL-PL looks awesome, but is out of my price point at the moment.  I have limited uses for an $800 laser which may/or may not ever be used.  How is the IR illumination on the PEQ-14 at 50+ yards?  

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#4]
IM me if more than one is available at (or near) that price.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Where are you funding one for $385 that's not stolen?

All the ones I've seen online are $1600+ and beat. I'm trying to get rid of mine and it has a generator set and is in excellent condition.

Cable switches for the -14 are the same add any other insight unit.

The DBAL-PL looks like the capability and form function are excellent, but the switch functions are... limiting.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
IM me if more than one is available at (or near) that price.  
View Quote

Unfortunately the individual only had one to sell, but I will keep a lookout for you if I find anymore around that price point.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

All the ones I've seen online are $1600+ and beat. I'm trying to get rid of mine and it has a generator set and is in excellent condition.

The DBAL-PL looks like the capability and form function are excellent, but the switch functions are... limiting.
View Quote

Their isn't any question, the PEQ-14 I'm looking at was an LEO purchase initially.  The individual seems to have purchased from his LEO friend, the initial buyer (i'm guessing purchased with department letterhead for duty use).  He is a reputable source, so I am just taking his word on it.  I have a hard time believing he would sell stolen products and risk going to prison.  99% of the population has no idea of the laws surrounding IR gear, and most sell products that unknowingly to them, are illegal to sell or depart from their possession.  Almost reminds me of 922R compliance laws, how many people have broken those unknowingly?

Thank you for the information concerning the cable switch, I may look into those tonight.  Still looking for a single pattern generator, it's insanity that they are that difficult to find.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:16:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Their isn't any question, the PEQ-14 I'm looking at was an LEO purchase initially.  The individual seems to have purchased from his LEO friend, the initial buyer (i'm guessing purchased with department letterhead for duty use).  He is a reputable source, so I am just taking his word on it.  I have a hard time believing he would sell stolen products and risk going to prison.  99% of the population has no idea of the laws surrounding IR gear, and most sell products that unknowingly to them, are illegal to sell or depart from their possession.  

Thank you for the information concerning the cable switch, I may look into those tonight.  Still looking for a single pattern generator, it's insanity that they are that difficult to find.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their isn't any question, the PEQ-14 I'm looking at was an LEO purchase initially.  The individual seems to have purchased from his LEO friend, the initial buyer (i'm guessing purchased with department letterhead for duty use).  He is a reputable source, so I am just taking his word on it.  I have a hard time believing he would sell stolen products and risk going to prison.  99% of the population has no idea of the laws surrounding IR gear, and most sell products that unknowingly to them, are illegal to sell or depart from their possession.  

If you're .mil go to insight directly. I was about to order from them but someone answered my wtb add in the EE.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you're .mil go to insight directly. I was about to order from them but someone answered my wtb add in the EE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just wondering how that process works, is being in the military all that is required for a private owner to purchase replacement parts?  Can they ship replacement parts to your door step, or would I need to get them shipped to a DOD address?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#11]
For 385 thats a steal and worth the lack of warranty.
Will more than illuminate at 50 yards, cable are same as laser devices and Insight. Just pop the rubber plug and push it in. Insight usually has no problems selling things like pattern generators, but they will not sell laser guts to individuals, military or not. Go ahead and buy it, worst case u can double ur money instantly.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm just wondering how that process works, is being in the military all that is required for a private owner to purchase replacement parts?  Can they ship replacement parts to your door step, or would I need to get them shipped to a DOD address?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I emailed Insight mil sales from my .mil email and being non-restricted items they didn't have any issue with getting me a quote. They quoted me $16.64 for a single filter.

I CCed my civ email and they worked with me through that. I'm a Guard guy with crappy home computers, so getting on my enterprise email is a hassle.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I transitioned from active into the guard as well, thankfully, my ETS date is drawing near (JAN 2015).  I will send them an email from my Enterprise account tomorrow, as I would like to have a cross-hair or similar pattern generator and at least one extra bulb.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:56:33 AM EDT
[#14]
The white light (or yellow in this case) is the only thing that sucks about the peq14.   Fortunately that's not my primary use however I was  told by a gentleman on this forum the led upgrade kit for the M3 and m6 would work but sit to low so will need a custom reflector.   He went on to say he was talking to some custom builders on the candlelight forum to try and get a reflector built.  That's been a while so I'm gonna follow up on his progress.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Any filter specifically you looking for? I may have a few spares.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any filter specifically you looking for? I may have a few spares.
View Quote

None really specifically, the PEQ-14 in question seems to only have the diffuser filter.  I would enjoy having one of any other filter (to aid with blooming issues), crosshairs, triangle, square, circle, etc.   Feel free to PM me on what you have
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:31:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The white light (or yellow in this case) is the only thing that sucks about the peq14.   Fortunately that's not my primary use however I was  told by a gentleman on this forum the led upgrade kit for the M3 and m6 would work but sit to low so will need a custom reflector.   He went on to say he was talking to some custom builders on the candlelight forum to try and get a reflector built.  That's been a while so I'm gonna follow up on his progress.

View Quote

I have been reading up on that, and the candle light forums have some extremely talented builders and users.  If they can build an upgrade kit, the PEQ-14 would then become a fantastic all-around IR option.  If you contact the builder, please PM me on the results.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I CCed my civ email and they worked with me through that. I'm a Guard guy with crappy home computers, so getting on my enterprise email is a hassle.
View Quote

Good morning,
We do not sell these products direct. Please contact Optics Planet at (847) 513-6191 or go to OpticsPlanet.com to purchase. You could check with TNVC as well.

^ that is the response I received from Insight Technologies, and this was solely based on asking for pattern generators and pressure switches.  I clearly stated I was in the military and would provide any verification necessary.  She was nice enough at least to point me in the right direction.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Update:
PEQ-14 in question functions 100%.  Honestly is in great shape, better than advertised by seller (build date 09/06).  Still on the lookout for pattern generators.  Using the IR illumination helps with blooming for sure, but I am using the diffuser pattern. May post pictures up tonight.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:34:48 AM EDT
[#20]
If you are still in the "Guard", then buy all you can, and have it shipped to your unit address.   It all depends on whom you buy from.
I started buying my "tools"  while on active duty in the USAF and they never gave us anything of use.    When I was sent to the Baltics
back in 1994, I was one of the few who slung an M203.  And what did they give me for ammo?  CS and Smoke.  No HE..  No NVG's, etc. So after that,
I started to order direct from NVDepot,  Litton, etc..   You can still do that if you are in the military, not matter if the Guard, Reserves, or Active Duty.

The PEQ-14 is a great value for what it is.   I have seen them on many different platforms while deployed, and know from experience they
handle and work well with the MP5., and know of another team member who put his on his M4 when his PEQ-2 took a round.

If you want pattern generators, they are available on "that auction site that shall not be named", and I may have a few laying around if you need a specific one
as I never use any generators on any of my systems.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you are still in the "Guard", then buy all you can, and have it shipped to your unit address.   It all depends on whom you buy from.
I started buying my "tools"  while on active duty in the USAF and they never gave us anything of use.    When I was sent to the Baltics
back in 1994, I was one of the few who slung an M203.  And what did they give me for ammo?  CS and Smoke.  No HE..  No NVG's, etc. So after that,
I started to order direct from NVDepot,  Litton, etc..   You can still do that if you are in the military, not matter if the Guard, Reserves, or Active Duty.

The PEQ-14 is a great value for what it is.   I have seen them on many different platforms while deployed, and know from experience they
handle and work well with the MP5., and know of another team member who put his on his M4 when his PEQ-2 took a round.

If you want pattern generators, they are available on "that auction site that shall not be named", and I may have a few laying around if you need a specific one
as I never use any generators on any of my systems.
View Quote

Thanks for the information, and yes I am still in the guard.  When I was on Active Duty at Bragg' under USASOC, we received PVS-14's but NO IR illuminator or aiming devices.  I still am scratching my head to this day about how ridiculous that sounds.  Luckily, we had Trijicon Acog's, so that made day time shooting a breeze.  

Let me know about the pattern generators, I am only interested in obtaining one.  I don't need a full kit, but would like the option of using one to reduce blooming in some scenarios.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Just sent you an IM.   You can have any 1 you want out of my kit of 5.  No Charge from 1 service member to another.
MSgt, USAF Retired.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Sweet, your aiming device probably went to these guys instead. link
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:15:08 AM EDT
[#24]
That is pretty funny.    Way too much downtime for those guys.  But you have to make fun when you have chance.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:55:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are some replacement bulbs on eBay right now.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Peq14 in action
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#27]
more pictures on your fnx?

I have one with a 300v and wouldnt mind to upgrade it....

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I see two posters who need cans on those pistols
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I see two posters who need cans on those pistols
View Quote

working on it. I spent too much on everything else
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top