[#2]
Tag for when I have actual income
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
L3 must frickin' LOVE you guys -- either that or you're skilled in the Dark Arts!  

Just... Plain... AWESOME!

I'm surprised and positively impressed by the illuminator. I was concerned that it would be RAPTAR-esque, but it looks MUCH more useful.

LDI and Wilcox are in trouble!  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Holy.  

Balls.

I'm in.  

I need to sell something.  

How many can I get for a kidney?  

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

~Augee
View Quote

Yours, or someone else's?

I hear that's how Slug-O lost his. He awoke from his surgery with a thank you card and a TNVC tattoo.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I hear that's how Slug-O lost his. He awoke from his surgery with a thank you card and a TNVC tattoo.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

Either.  I'm flexible.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#9]
OMG OMG OMG.

This is so sweet.

I wonder if they are SCAR hardened or, if not, if L3 will warranty them for use on a SCAR 17S?

Either way, I'm in for at least one.

Is it too much to ask for LA-5 adjustment knobs on the next iteration?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Just so everyone knows I called it first that they would have a laser based illuminator
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#11]
What is the reason for locking the illuminator?

Does the illuminator have a 30 mW hi mode or did they remove hi for both laser & illuminator?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#14]
This is great news. Glad I held off on one for my .308.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's locked because it is 3 mW (class 3R)  That means it would be too high powered if it was able to be focused down.  It is permanently dispersed to remain eye safe and civilian legal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does the illuminator have a 30 mW hi mode or did they remove hi for both laser & illuminator?

It's locked because it is 3 mW (class 3R)  That means it would be too high powered if it was able to be focused down.  It is permanently dispersed to remain eye safe and civilian legal

thx
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#16]
The best part about this will be the ability to use real, high power white-lights instead of trying to find compromise dual-spectrum units.

Goodbye rifle-mounted vampires and WMX200s. Hello Furys and Scouts.

ETA: Have the IR wars begun? Will Wilcox and LDI adapt these new IR levels for their units? This type of illuminator will really open some doors.

I want to have to make the decision between a Class 1 ATPIAL and a Class 1 DBAL-A2. Or even a less expensive DBAL-I2 with IR laser/illuminator (like the original).
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#17]
On a less "giddy schoolgirl" note - just as a curiosity, I wonder how this will affect the pricing of "gray market" AN/PEQ-15s, or if it will just dissolve the market altogether.  

Meanwhile - I predict that anyone who was wanting to get into a cheap DBAL or any other Class I IR LAM, and waiting for the "right deal" to come along could have a field day with all the units that will be being dumped to make room (money) for ATPIAL-Cs.  

I'm just glad I was too poor to buy anything else long enough for this to be released.  

Quoted:
ETA: Have the IR wars begun? Will Wilcox and LDI adapt these new IR levels for their units? This type of illuminator will really open some doors.

I want to have to make the decision between a Class 1 ATPIAL and a Class 1 DBAL-A2. Or even a less expensive DBAL-I2 with IR laser/illuminator (like the original).
View Quote

This would be great to see play out, though having used the DBAL-A2 (AN/PEQ-15A) and AN/PEQ-2A (not to mention the AN/PAQ-4C), I don't see myself choosing any of the Class I analogues of any other Class III IR LAMs over the ATPIAL - it'd be interesting to see what it does (once again) to pricing, though, and what other developments we might see come down the line from LDI and/or Wilcox, not to mention other potential players in the Class I IR market.  

And just for the clone-whore in me:

Quoted:
Is it too much to ask for LA-5 adjustment knobs on the next iteration?
View Quote

"Yes, please."  

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#19]
DANGIT!!!!!

right when I order an upper too, son of a!

I'll trade you guys a sweet upper for one

ETA: guess im gonna have to go donate some plasma
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless I am missing something, this is a direct competitor to the DBAL-D2. The DBAL-D2 has lo/hi power and is focusable. As I recall that unit was exclusive to SNG, and this is exclusive to TNVC. So there are a lot of wars going on.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Unless I am missing something, this is a direct competitor to the DBAL-D2. The DBAL-D2 has lo/hi power and is focusable. As I recall that unit was exclusive to SNG, and this is exclusive to TNVC. So there are a lot of wars going on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're missing the fact that the D2 is the size of a volkswagon, has an LED based illuminator, and a 1 hour run-time.

A comparable unit would be a DBAL-A2 with a diffused 3mw illuminator.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow.

So stoked for this.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Thats pretty cool, never thought the PEQ-15 would be legal
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#25]
how does this compare to a dbal-i2?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You're missing the fact that the D2 is the size of a volkswagon, has an LED based illuminator, and a 1 hour run-time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not aware of a Class I DBAL-A2.

Link?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

Doesn't exist. That's kind of the point I'm trying to make. I'm positing that a viable laser-based IR iluminator is a game changer and the D2 is not an apt comparison or direct competitor. The hog-hunters will stick with the D2s for the illuminator range. Most everyone else will choose the ATPIAL-C.

That said, the ATPIAL-C is on my to-buy list.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#28]
!!!!!!!!!!!
As previously stated, I need to sell something now!

Never having used or seen a real 15 in person, how does this compare size wise to the DBAL I2?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#29]
The internet is going to blow up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Question for the TNVC folks....

Performance seems consistent with a PEQ-2A on DUAL LO; please confirm.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The I2 has only  visible and IR pointers.  The APTIAL-C also has a IR Laser Illuminator.

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
how does this compare to a dbal-i2?

The I2 has only  visible and IR pointers.  The APTIAL-C also has a IR Laser Illuminator.

Vic

Sry, meant size wise
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The best part about this will be the ability to use real, high power white-lights instead of trying to find compromise dual-spectrum units.
Goodbye rifle-mounted vampires and WMX200s. Hello Furys and Scouts.
View Quote

Not sure if the same application will translate to the ATPIAL-C, however I personally still find benefit in using a Vampire head with the full powered PEQ-15; Keeping the illumination set for long range and then using the IR light for anything up close is much faster and easier than trying to manually refocus or engage the diffuser (which both suck for close range anyhow).
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow, that is super SWEET!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#37]
It says the lasers are slaved.  Why the two sets of laser adjustments? Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It says the lasers are slaved.  Why the two sets of laser adjustments? Am I missing something?
View Quote

IR and VIS are slaved, second set of wind/elevation adjustments are for the illuminator.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Laughing at this as people told me dispersing the hi powered lasers for an illuminator would still not pass muster with the FDA. Everything I thought that could be done according to the FDA regs is coming true but I was just to dumb to take it up back in the late 90's. Oh how I would have been a wealthy man today
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#40]
There goes my OT/NFA money
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
IR and VIS are slaved, second set of wind/elevation adjustments are for the illuminator.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Got it thanks.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Holy Sh*t.

In.  Order placed.  Will go great on my ST Compressor with a HSP / Fury.

Nice work Vic, Chip, and crew.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Vic, et al,

How would you say the "C" compares to the resticted unit on LOW power at the SAME illumination spread -- i.e. if I open up my .MIL ATPIAL to the same illuminator beam diameter on LOW, will that be similar to the "C" or will the C still be lower output? The .MIL unit on low is nice, but not all that bright past 100-200 yards.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Well, there goes another $1200.

Its going to be a long wait until mid November!

Thanks Vic and the rest of the TNVC crew for making this possible!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Everyone in the Sopmod clone thread just jizzed themselves. Super excited and I'm glad I waited. Initially didn't L3 change the housing? I'm glad they stuck with the same housing after all.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:35:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Vic said in the GD thread that the illuminator is staked and that it cannot be jail broken.
So if the IR illuminator is open at a given # of degrees and staked making it eye safe why could they not allow
it to be opened up as wide as possible which obviously would still keep it eye safe and than be able to be zoomed to the staked point?
Would this not have helped with closer range targets or indoors.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:38:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Vic said in the GD thread that the illuminator is staked and that it cannot be jail broken.
So if the IR illuminator is open at a given # of degrees and staked making it eye safe why could they not allow
it to be opened up as wide as possible which obviously would still keep it eye safe and than be able to be zoomed to the staked point?
Would this not have helped with closer range targets or indoors.
View Quote

Probably because some enterprising DIY'er would hack it and publish a mod that will allow users to tighten the beam to non-eyesafe diameters.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:34:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Probably because some enterprising DIY'er would hack it and publish a mod that will allow users to tighten the beam to non-eyesafe diameters.
View Quote

Opening up your brand new, never-been-available-until-now civilian legal PEQ-15 voiding your warranty and probably breaking it in the process?

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:10:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Opening up your brand new, never-been-available-until-now civilian legal PEQ-15 voiding your warranty and probably breaking it in the process?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, you'd be surprised what some people will do.  This would not surprise me.  Along those lines, I'd expect someone to try to replace thelaser generator with the Binford 6000 Super Laser Generator.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:33:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Shit. My wallet just cringed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top