Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 7/11/2014 1:30:14 PM EDT
I posted this in GD, but figured I'd toss it up here in a tech forum too.

These are the ones that APEX bought with those bringback DPMS contractor rifles a little while ago.

3x tube

Helmet mounted NVG-7

Thoughts? I bought one of the scopes. I'll probably use it for light use/general purpose fun (walking around the woods at night and observing nature, maybe mount it to an AR and take it out a few times for night coyote season, maybe use it instead of a flashlight to find my tree stand during bow season, etc..)

Anybody know if a PVS14 weapon mount will work for it?
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, the things you see when you don't have any free cash . . .
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, I previously owned an ATN NVG7-3A - which is supposedly one of the best NVG7 models available. The image quality was just "OK" and there were lots of blems compared to the Gen 3 NVG from ITT and L3 that I have owned. I paid 900 for the NVG7-3A on eBay and ended up returning it because the unit was that bad. The price on the 3x Night spirit at $399 has me thinking about getting one though. lol.

My only hesitation is this:
Some of these night vision sets may have burn marks, missing lens covers, weak IR, loose focus rings, and/or torn or missing eye covers.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#3]
"Some of these night vision sets may have burn marks, missing lens covers, weak IR, loose focus rings, and/or torn or missing eye covers".

No thanks...Russian tubes, burn marks on tube, missing and/or damaged parts, used and abused. 40 to 45 lp/mm and 12 to 20 S/N. The price is attractive but what will it cost to replace parts and if your tube is burned it is a losing deal. Gambling is fun though I think I would rather try the craps table.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Would an Armasight Spark Core be a better choice in this price range?
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#5]
They just listed these too, for $800

NVM14 CGTI monoculars posted here

And PS14 CGT monoculars here
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#6]
So what exactly does "Generation CGTI" mean?
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

LMAO ! ATN comes up with the most screwed up names of anyone in the NV industry. I will go look and report back. I have to go decipher the enigma code...
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#8]
From an ATN catalog PDF --

CGT/HPT: The CGT/HPT types of Image Intensifier tubes are engineered for significantly enhanced
performance over current 2nd generation IITs. They are Multi-Alkali compact 18mm format MCP Image
Intensifiers. They have increased sensitivity, resolution, Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR), and the Modulation
Transfer Function (MTF). These improvements produce an exceptional image clarity and brightness
View Quote

CGTI IIT
The CGTI type of Image Intensifier are engineered for significantly enhanced performance over current 2nd
generation IITs. The CGTI IIT is a Multi-Alkali compact 18mm format MCP Image Intensifier. Highlights of the
CGTI specifications are the typical SNR of 15-22 and a resolution of 45-54 lp/mm. CGTI IITs are sensitive in a
wide spectral band and thus provide good contrast in all scene circumstances
View Quote

pdf
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Cheap.  Good.  Now.

You only get to pick two.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

LMAO ! ATN comes up with the most screwed up names of anyone in the NV industry. I will go look and report back. I have to go decipher the enigma code...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russian Gen 2...
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#11]
The reason US contractors had these scopes in Afghanistan ? They were not allowed to export or have US tubes outside the US. So they chose the Russian Gen 2 option. Not really historical. The CIA buys Russian ATN gear for our muslim "friends" outside the US. Nobody wants to give them anything good.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Russian Gen 2...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russian Gen 2...

Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#13]
i understand that there is the cgt version for the us market and the cgti (i for international )version that is a lesser performance to allow for export but i dont know how much less performance they are from the cgt tubes
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Yea, i want one of these....
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:51:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

These are the ones that APEX bought with those bringback DPMS contractor rifles a little while ago.
3x tube
Helmet mounted NVG-7
Thoughts? I bought one of the scopes. I'll probably use it for light use/general purpose fun (walking around the woods at night and observing nature, maybe mount it to an AR and take it out a few times for night coyote season, maybe use it instead of a flashlight to find my tree stand during bow season, etc..)
View Quote

I just spotted this thread, I don't usually look in the night vision forum.

<Advertising removed- JLA>

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:47:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3x tube

Helmet mounted NVG-7

Do you have any pictures taken through these in different lighting conditions?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:35:42 AM EDT
[#17]
A gen3 pvs-14 just sold on the EE for $1200, so 800 for one of these gen 2 units isn't all that great of a deal. The 399 unit is another story, though. If they arent  beat to hell and the optics arent trashed, and the tube isn't loaded full of black spots, it may be a decent deal.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Exactly correct.

Three if's stacked end to end.  Looks like the lotto to me.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I just spotted this thread, I don't usually look in the night vision  forum.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3x tube

Helmet mounted NVG-7

I just spotted this thread, I don't usually look in the night vision  forum.

Any pictures of the best and worst tubes?

Any warranty at all, be it even a 30 day one?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Richard

View Quote

I don't know if you know this or not, but these NVD's are specifically ITAR export models that fall under 1250FOM. Hence the I in CGTI. And it might have something to do with them going outside US with a private company too.

You might get few foreign sales, should you choose to export them, that's all.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:01:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Try using a cellphone, it is usually the easiest and quickset way to get shots of a tube.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for the information. Have you determined a price on the stuff that has yet to be listed? I'm thinking of picking a second unit up, and it would help those of us doing the "buy currently listed stuff before it goes out of stock" vs. "hold out and see what else is coming" debate.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Im a old customer of apex never disappointed and good service

so I have to ask the experts here

1)   these scopes have russian gen 2 tubes ? correct
2)   can these be swapped out with US tubes???

thanks I think i know the answers just looking for clarification

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Here is one of the Gen3's at auction on GunBroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=429395762
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#26]
What mounts do I use to mount this as a weapon sight or to a helmet?  I just ordered one and would like to grab a mount quick as well?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a bit pricey for that unit.
Personally I wouldn't pay more than 800-1k given its condition and the size of the blems in that tube.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#28]
The Night Spirit is sooo tempting
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Personally I wouldn't pay more than 800-1k given its condition and the size of the blems in that tube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not an aficionado on NVG prices but that does seem a bit high to me especially when I've seen a few much nicer units sell for $1800 or so.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Will they work with the Spirit's or are they relegated to being a hand held unit?

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Will they work with the Spirit's or are they relegated to being a hand held unit?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's good news that Samson makes some mounts for the NVM and PS.  I actually emailed them late last week asking if they had anything that would work but they never got back to me.  

I assume you'll be getting this one for the NVM?

http://www.samson-mfg.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SM&Product_Code=Twist-MVM14&Category_Code=MOUNTS

Also, did Samson know if any of the PVS-14 mounts like this one will work with the NVM or PS?

http://www.samson-mfg.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SM&Product_Code=RAM-PVS14&Category_Code=MOUNTS

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If these are true AN/PVS14's they will have an NSN on the tube, can you look and post it?

If they are non milspect units (some people automatically assume its an AN/pvs14 when its not milspec) can you take a picture of the tube or post the numbers you see on the tube?

any chance you have a data sheet?

I would be interested if the price is negotiable or you have better looking units.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
If these are true AN/PVS14's they will have an NSN on the tube, can you look and post it?

If they are non milspect units (some people automatically assume its an AN/pvs14 when its not milspec) can you take a picture of the tube or post the numbers you see on the tube?

I would be interested if the price is negotiable or you have better looking units.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

<Snip- JLA>

Seeing as these were used by SOG overseas they are almost certain to be export models, they are most likely low-spec non-gated tubes (not mil contract). Thats just a guess on my part but I have good reason to venture that guess...

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#36]
I agree rbhoover

Just trying to narrow down what's inside to determine value.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I agree rbhoover

Just trying to narrow down what's inside to determine value.
View Quote

I'm curious myself, I will be keeping an eye on this topic to see the followup info!
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Regarding  the Gunbroker auction, am I correct to assume these are Russian Gen 3 tubes since they were exported originally?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#39]
The PVS-14 on gunbroker is US gen 3. I assume it is a lower performing FOM limited tube. Also known as a export tube.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

I asked ATN, and they said the mounts are discontinued/unavailable, and they have no stock.

I bought a PVS14 mount off the EE, I'll see if that works with my Night Spirit when everything comes in.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#41]
so nobody has one of these in hand to review, yet?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#43]
My $400 unit will be here tomorrow. I have an PVS14 with a hand selected Pinnacle tube for comparison.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The PVS-14 on gunbroker is US gen 3. I assume it is a lower performing FOM limited tube. Also known as a export tube.

That is good to know. If you send me a picture of the tube numbers I can confirm what they are for you. I am sure customers who buy these would like to know EXACTLY what tube it has. I need all the numbers off the tube for this. " Full US spec compliant"  does not tell us anything. Give me the tube numbers and I can tell you exactly what tube you have and approximate performance. Guys want to know things like gated or not and to what Omni contract the tube performs.

ETA: From looking at the one on gunbroker it is a parts scope at best. The tube is horrible with serious burn marks and the battery housing needs to be replaced. I could salvage the lenses and body shell but that is about it. As is I value it at about 400 bucks and I am being generous. The tube is worthless and is the most expensive component. I buy busted up scopes all the time and that one was rode hard and hung up wet.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#46]
The Night Spirit doesn't have a reticle does it?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not as far as I am aware, its handheld viewer not a weaponsight...
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I thought, but it says scope in the description. "Scope" to me means it's a weapon sight.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#49]
No reticle in mine. This is the most cursory of comparisons done in my unoccupied junk room with an I potato. Take it for what it cost you.

Comparison with pvs14. It is big and probably 3x the weight. I wouldn't want to hang that on a skull crusher.

Pvs14 tool chest.

Pvs14 powder/primer storage

Pvs14 tool chest illumination

Pvs14 powder illumination

Night spirit tool chest

Night spirit powder

Night spirit tool chest illumination

Night spirit powder illumination

If I didn't have night vision and I didn't have $2000-2500 to spend, I'd fo. If I wanted a backup, beater, loaner set (like me), if also fo.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:55:17 PM EDT
[#50]
fo? I'm not familiar with that one.

Quoted:
No reticle in mine. This is the most cursory of comparisons done in my unoccupied junk room with an I potato. Take it for what it cost you.

Comparison with pvs14. It is big and probably 3x the weight. I wouldn't want to hang that on a skull crusher.

<a href="http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/ronnl001/media/Mobile%20Uploads/97178BC2-4A07-47F3-BB5C-ED72D6F3B47E_zpsxsxvdvut.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i423/ronnl001/Mobile%20Uploads/97178BC2-4A07-47F3-BB5C-ED72D6F3B47E_zpsxsxvdvut.jpg</a>

Pvs14 tool chest.

<a href="http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/ronnl001/media/Mobile%20Uploads/85165C2B-6ACA-41C5-AE10-4C0573751769_zpskxqbgihv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i423/ronnl001/Mobile%20Uploads/85165C2B-6ACA-41C5-AE10-4C0573751769_zpskxqbgihv.jpg</a>

Pvs14 powder/primer storage

<a href="http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/ronnl001/media/Mobile%20Uploads/87097823-789E-481D-9547-E737742CEE12_zpszrf49dtm.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i423/ronnl001/Mobile%20Uploads/87097823-789E-481D-9547-E737742CEE12_zpszrf49dtm.jpg</a>

Pvs14 tool chest illumination

<a href="http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/ronnl001/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DB0CE293-B9EC-43EB-808D-E23D2B679298_zpsfgltnh55.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i423/ronnl001/Mobile%20Uploads/DB0CE293-B9EC-43EB-808D-E23D2B679298_zpsfgltnh55.jpg</a>

Pvs14 powder illumination

<a href="http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/ronnl001/media/Mobile%20Uploads/A51F3CCA-02CC-4C01-9CF8-04F46B7C0598_zps1rbibslr.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i423/ronnl001/Mobile%20Uploads/A51F3CCA-02CC-4C01-9CF8-04F46B7C0598_zps1rbibslr.jpg</a>

Night spirit tool chest

<a href="http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/ronnl001/media/Mobile%20Uploads/4718F9BA-6969-4946-BACE-5800712FA9CC_zps9d7fpenk.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i423/ronnl001/Mobile%20Uploads/4718F9BA-6969-4946-BACE-5800712FA9CC_zps9d7fpenk.jpg</a>

Night spirit powder

<a href="http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/ronnl001/media/Mobile%20Uploads/EF9C782A-9AF5-4F0A-9117-CD74FA780586_zpsyibmjbjf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i423/ronnl001/Mobile%20Uploads/EF9C782A-9AF5-4F0A-9117-CD74FA780586_zpsyibmjbjf.jpg</a>

Night spirit tool chest illumination

<a href="http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/ronnl001/media/Mobile%20Uploads/A2E34D2F-658B-40B1-85FC-45AE1CBE7B65_zpscbqa2tiw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i423/ronnl001/Mobile%20Uploads/A2E34D2F-658B-40B1-85FC-45AE1CBE7B65_zpscbqa2tiw.jpg</a>

Night spirit powder illumination

<a href="http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/ronnl001/media/Mobile%20Uploads/97018DF8-C775-4DDF-8874-A606E0B5EC52_zpsoaf9uftw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i423/ronnl001/Mobile%20Uploads/97018DF8-C775-4DDF-8874-A606E0B5EC52_zpsoaf9uftw.jpg</a>

If I didn't have night vision and I didn't have $2000-2500 to spend, I'd fo. If I wanted a backup, beater, loaner set (like me), if also fo.
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top