Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 19
Posted: 6/9/2012 7:52:23 AM EDT
Took it to the range today, shot some steel.

Clarity is very good, no noticeable zero shift, can pick up a 6 inch plate very easy at 100m.

Tried it with 4 different optics.

TA44s: My favorite of the 4, very nice field of view, very very clear with this optic.
TA31:  Works very well with this one as well, wide field of view, pretty clear, but obviously not as clear as on the 44s. This was a buddies riffle, glad I got a chance to try the 31.
TA33: Field of a view a bit limited, other than that ok.
XPS3: Works surprisingly well, since you can get it pretty close to the optic window you don't really lose that much of the window, not nearly as good as the magnified optics, but better than I expected.

I had a T-1 out but didn't bother, window would be too small, it might be workable with a full sized aim point.

Video out works:

Ill post a further review when I go shoot some critters with it. Very happy with it so far.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 8:24:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet, mine is on the brown truck but should have it sometime next week.

It looks like you were using it during the daytime, have ya tried it at night yet?

Will be running it behind either an Eotech (with or without 3X Mag) or a Leopold 1-4X Pig Plex scope.

Did you try using just the T-50 alone with the internal reticules and digital magnifications?
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a lot of fun!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sweet, mine is on the brown truck but should have it sometime next week.

It looks like you were using it during the daytime, have ya tried it at night yet?

Will be running it behind either an Eotech (with or without 3X Mag) or a Leopold 1-4X Pig Plex scope.

Did you try using just the T-50 alone with the internal reticules and digital magnifications?

I didn't shoot it with the internal reticle, I swapped through them and checked them out, but i am only going to be using this in front of other scopes.

Looked around the neighborhood with it at night, but have not done any shooting with it at night yet, I am gonna take it out to my land and hopefully kill some hogs with it next weekend.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Not bad. Even looks good enough for identification, up close.

Link Posted: 6/11/2012 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#5]
If you don't mind me asking, about how far out do you think you could detect a human being as opposed to the distance at which you could identify them?

I should be receiving mine this week so am just antsy to hear how well it works.

Sound like the view clarity is very good through your ACOGS.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you don't mind me asking, about how far out do you think you could detect a human being as opposed to the distance at which you could identify them?

I should be receiving mine this week so am just antsy to hear how well it works.

Sound like the view clarity is very good through your ACOGS.

I could probably detect that a human was a human out to 500-600m depending on conditions.

I could probably ID them if they had a distinct body type out to 150-200ish

Facial ID probably at most 30m or so.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks much, that sounds pretty good.

I ordered a portable mini-DVR recorder to record the NTSC output from it on our hunts, it is small enough that I can velcro the DVR to the rail to record live action video.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Another Major KUDOS to TNVC and Company, the brown truck delivered this nice thermal instrument today, a FLIR T-50.

So far I am running it on one rifle behind an Eotech 552NV and 3X Eotech Magnifier, but will be using it on a variety of rifle combinations.

Surprised at how light weight it is and how nice it functions. It was a cinch to co-witness the Eotech with the internal reticules inside the FLIR.

Will be out looking for song dogs tonight after dark!

Backyard Game Cam tree @ 175 yards looking directly into the setting sun:

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#9]
SkyPup
Damn boy anything else you gonna put on that gun!!
Good luck humping that around in the field.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 9:58:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is the 175 yard game cam tree at night:

Here is the inverse:

This thing is so freakin' kewl it even picked up Dr. Who landing in the Tardis!

Here is a day pic for reference:

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#11]
It is insane how easy it is to stay on top of the action shot to shot with the coyotes, nailed another again last night in the backyard @ 185 yards.

It was super simple to setup the co-witness with the Eotech reticule to the FLIR's so if I remove one I can always re-zero again off the other.

In the sight photos above, the red is the Eotech reticule, the straight lines are one of the four different FLIR internal reticules.

The instrument also has a real nice 2X & 4X digital magnification.

Controls are intuitive and easy to use, I like how it powers up with the modifications that I previously made from ROM.

I got a nice small portable digital SDHC video recorder (micro DVR) to velcro onto it to record our hunts, so should have some great action vids here soon.

This nice thermal unit is going to get a real workout on a variety of rifles and optics real soon!
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#12]
How does the image clarity compare to your ps32. To me that bigger lens on the t50 looks like it would perform better overall
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I really do enjoy the PS-32 for the red Insta-Alert feature that I usually run on I-2 setting for picking up game initially.

The PS-32 is a super handy adjunct for NVO and even the T-50 since it works so well for initial detection..

But it only has a 19mm lens, so it is only good for detection.

The T-50 has a whopping 60mm germanium lens and probably different internal image software to take advantage of the huge lens system, so there really is no comparison in visual acuity.

The T-50 has about ten times better clearer resolution than the PS-32, even when using the internal 2X or 4X magnification.

Running my 3X Eotech Magnifier behind it last night, the image did not get pixelated until I turned the internal T-50 magnification up to 4X, which would have been 12X including the Eotech 3X optic.

With the T-50 @ 2X internal and the Eotech 3X optic (6X total magnification), I still had good spot-on identification out past 200 meters, no problem -> which is what Chip/Vic pretty much told me that sold me on this optic as that is my limit for night shooting.

I am very pleased with this fine instrument, it will get a real hard work out real soon....
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#14]
terry1, one other thing is that this civvvy FLIR does not have the IR laser intergrated into it, so having the DBAL-I2 or the DBAL-D2 (when I get mine) mounted in front of it allows all my buddies using their helmet mounted NVOs to see what I am targeting too!

Nice.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How does the image clarity compare to your ps32. To me that bigger lens on the t50 looks like it would perform better overall

It does have a real nice adjustable lens!

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow thats great that the T50 clarity is much better than the PS32. I have looked at the T50 and expected it to produce a better image clarity mainly just do to the much higher grade lens vs the 19mm in the PS32 which makes a big difference in thermal performance. That said I didn't know what to expect 10% better or 300% better. I have been learning just how much a difference a good/big lens makes on a thermal system even with the 320 or 640 imager spec being the same. On the PS32 I love the  instant red settings it makes the PS32 a king for detection which is my 1# need in a thermal viewer. I wish FLIR would include the instant red mode in their higher end units its just a great mode for hunters and the thermal hunting market seems to growing rapid with the entry of lower priced thermal systems hitting the shelfs lately.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#17]
If I am not mistaken, I believe the germanium lens is 1/3 the cost or thereabouts for the entire unit itself.

The main reason the PS-32 is as cheap as it is with its 19mm lens is that FLIR figured a way to pour a small 19mm germanium lens instead of grinding it down with diamond lappers like it does on the larger sized lenses.

Germanium lenses are ambient temperature sensitive too, the hotter they get the less they transmit, the cooler the better, so winter time performance is the best compared to summertime.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#18]
This FLIR T-50 thermal definitely is a keeper.

Have only had it three days and already took out four coyotes with it to 225 yards.

What a major game changer this instrument is for night hunting.

It works absolutely fantastic with an Eotech and 3X magnifier.

This one checked out at 190 yards and the Barnes 70 grain TSX went right through his shoulder where I was aiming.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Skypup you got the sickness bad!
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This FLIR T-50 thermal definitely is a keeper.

Have only had it three days and already took out four coyotes with it to 225 yards.

What a major game changer this instrument is for night hunting.

It works absolutely fantastic with an Eotech and 3X magnifier.

This one checked out at 190 yards and the Barnes 70 grain TSX went right through his shoulder where I was aiming.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T50/T50%20Coyote%20NV.jpg

Well, that answers my question of just how closely these things maintain boresight.  It would be extremely interesting to see where on a paper target the rounds strike w/ and w/o the clip-on at various ranges.  I've wanted a clip-on thermal since I first saw the CNVD-T, when I graduate next June I'm going to get one.  Hopefully the 640x480 units will be available and cheaper by then.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#21]
This thing shoots like a laser, every shot on the money precisely where I was aiming to put it.

It is actually easier to shoot a thermal at night than just the Eotech during the day since the predators heat signature is like watching a movie in black and white, except the white predator is in the crosshairs!

You can see in the flash pic that I hit him exactly where I was aiming.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Thank you guys for the pictures, this is simply painful to look at and not have one.  If I had the time to use one, which I currently don't, I'd likely just pull the trigger.  Well done on the marksmanship BTW, my longest kill at night w/ an NVD was just under 100 yards w/ my trusty Ruger 22 mag, and my buddies w/ me (no NVDs for them at that point) were just stupified by the feat given that they couldn't even see me sitting 10 feet away from them.  Shooting at night is just completely different IMHO.  I've "killed" lots of milk jugs at 200 or so, but that was a known target at a known range, not realistic conditions by any means.  But 200+ yards at night in real-world hunting conditions... again, well done.  If you ever need someone to shoot w/ at night in FL (Tampa area), I'd cancel pretty much any plans to participate in such a thing, albeit w/ lowly I^2 technology
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#23]
This was a particularly exciting hunt that had the adrenaline going strong for about 45 minutes.

I first called this dog in using Bay Bee Cottontail on my FoxPro Prairie Blaster and he came right in about twenty feet from my Jack Attack decoy but I was on top of a ridge and all I could see was his head popping up in front of me about 60 feet in front of me. I had his head in my sight two or three times and then my wife walked up from behind me to tell me she was going shopping and he took off….he circled the dry prairie pond in front of me and went deep into the tall dog-fennels so I could not see him. He came out of the fennels trotting across my view twice but each time I held off waiting for him to stop for a lethal shot.

I called him back in again using Pup Distress and had a nice shot at him straight in front of me about 75 yards and squeezed the trigger slowly and CLICK -> no shell in the chamber. Chambered a round and he took off into the distant tree line.
I went back into the house to get my A-Alpha helmet and PVS-14 on and as soon as I walked off the carport I could see two distinct dark contrasted shapes out to my game cam about 250 yards. I slowly snuck down to my log stand setup and looked through the FLIR T-50 Thermal and saw two nice dogs @ 175 yards in front of me beside the game cam tree munching on some wild boar offal I had dumped there last weekend.

For some reason, one dog took off and went into the tree line and I lost him, but this one walked on over behind the game cam and stopped @ 185-190 yard behind my game cam (game cam tree is laser measured 175 yards), I put the crosshairs on him and he dropped. When he did, the other one came charging out of the woods and hightailed it across my view.

The whole hunt took about 45 minutes and I just wish I had the micro Digital Video Recorder hooked up to the FLIR thermal because I would have had some fantastic recording of this hunt.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I can report that the FLIR T-50 easily picks up smaller animals that my FLIR PS-32 misses.

Cottontail rabbits, armadillos, bobcats, possums, raccoons, and even bats stand right out to 250 yards that the PS-32 does not even see at all.

Hogs, deer, and coyotes are piece of cake to see at that distance, they stand out like a sore thumb on a total pitch dark night.

The only problem I am having is adapting the RS-170 video cable to my micro digital video recorder. The video cable is setup like an coaxial antenna for video output.

The T-50 video cable is a mil-spec cable with a small female 1/4" BNC type input into the camera and a large standard BNC male output connector to hookup to a recorder or other player. This works fine in the house connected to the BNC jack on the rear of the HDTV or video monitor in real time, but I need to adapt this BMC Male connector to a Male RCA input for my micro DVR recorder for use in the field while hunting.

Adapting a 75 Ohm male BNC video output to match up to an RCA video input is quite a hassle, I almost have it working (taking individual photos but not streaming video) but have now ordered a number of male BNC-> female BNC->male RCA jacks from a number of sources with haphazard results so far.

I even took it down to Radio Shack yesterday to see if they could provide me with some kind of BNC to RCA video adapter connector and they said it is obviously a military setup that is not used in commercial civilian wiring interfaces, and they have thousands of connectors, but none of them work? No one there had ever seen the 1/4" BNC jack that fits into the cameras video output.

So, am waiting to try out some other obscure BNC female to RCA male jacks I ordered from Amphenol and see if I can get a matchup.

So far, this site has the best looking jacks that I need, will see if they work when I get them next week:

http://www.eyespyvideo.com/BNC-RCA2.html

If anyone else has a solution to the correct BNC male  to RCA male connector, let me know please....
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 11:22:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I got my bnc adapter at radio shack that let me connect to the rs170 on my flir m24.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 11:24:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I got my bnc adapter at radio shack that let me connect to the rs170 on my flir m24.

Yeah I just found an adapter at radio shack to change it to a standard video out.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 7:54:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Our Radio Shack had 10,000+ different connectors and none of them came close to fitting, of course that is only one Radio Shack.....

Thanks for the feedback.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Got its first kill today, randomly enough at 9am.

I was just out messing around with it when my dog picked a fight with this piggy.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Clearly the results speak for themselves, but I'd so love to see a picture of a paper target shot w/ and w/o the T50 to see just how close it hits to boresight.  I want one of these in a BAD way, getting close to pulling that 10k trigger...
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Don't worry about the paper targets, I've shot a couple of coons @ 175 yards and a couple of coyotes out to 200 yards in pitch dark, in addition to a couple of large hogs at those distances with my SIG 556 and 552 Eotech with 3X Magnifier behind the T-50 and not a problem.

No way could I nail coons or coyotes at almost 200 yards if the T-50 affected the sighting picture whatsoever.

I am sure I could take out a Cottontail or Possum @ 200 yards with it too, maybe even a squirrel if I did my part.

Basically there is nothing within 200 yards that stands a chance....
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Clearly the results speak for themselves, but I'd so love to see a picture of a paper target shot w/ and w/o the T50 to see just how close it hits to boresight.  I want one of these in a BAD way, getting close to pulling that 10k trigger...

Ive found that the amount mine is off depends directly on the magnification of the scope.

With the eotech and TA44 its dead on.
With the TA33 its a tiny bit low left.
With the TA31 its actually like 6 inches low 2 inches left at 100m. Or oddly enough if you use 2x, only 2 left.

I tried it on two different guns with TA31s and it was the exact same offset. Anyway its not really a problem, I just hold on the 4 bar and have no problems making hits out to 300m. I shot that pig on the run with TA31 at around 50-60m just used my hold and dropped him first shot.

I guess it has to do with the patch of pixels it zooms in on?

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive found that the amount mine is off depends directly on the magnification of the scope.

With the TA31 its actually like 6 inches low 2 inches left at 100m. Or oddly enough if you use 2x, only 2 left.

I tried it on two different guns with TA31s and it was the exact same offset. Anyway its not really a problem, I just hold on the 4 bar and have no problems making hits out to 300m. I shot that pig on the run with TA31 at around 50-60m just used my hold and dropped him first shot.

That's really strange, 6 inches is a lot IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I have not tried shooting it using the internal magnification of 2X & 4X yet, I've only used my Eotech and 3X Magnifier, but the co-witness of the Eotech reticule stays the same when I am using the internal magnifications for scanning purposes.

Unfortunately I cannot use either my visible or IR lasers for co-witness with it since they do not show up at all.
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 12:07:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Here is a two minute 5MB WMV video I made tonight with the FLIR T-50 of a sounder group that was in a pond surrounded by a tall stand of dog fennels and weeds, I had to wait patiently for two hours to get a good shot.

Thank God for my ThermaCell as the skeets were trying to eat me alive.

Took out one of the sows with a hand-loaded Barnes 70 grain TSX from my SIG 556 using the Eotech 552 and 3X Magnifier @ 80 yards,

The 325 pound sow goes down with the first shot and stays down, but I shot her once more for insurance since she was in two feet of muck. I was up to my knees in mud hooking up the tow line from the ATV to get her out of there.

The FLIR T-50 that Vic from TNVC sold me is a solid instrument the definitely brings home da bacon....

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T50/Dead%20Hog%20WEB2.wmv
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#36]

I'm curious what the unit would look like on a collimator.  I would think clip on thermal type devices would be pretty tough to collimate due to pixels on a target at a given range.   Have you tried moving the clip on closer or farther from the optic on the rail?

IIRC you have a MTM correct?  How do you like the image in the 50 compared to the MTM?

I really like the idea of a thermal clip on, especially if you have a 22, or 24.  Gives you many options under different conditions.
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
[
I'm curious what the unit would look like on a collimator.  I would think clip on thermal type devices would be pretty tough to collimate due to pixels on a target at a given range.   Have you tried moving the clip on closer or farther from the optic on the rail?

Apparently it shouldn't be that far off, FLIR is gonna take a look at it.

Ill let yall know how it is when it gets back. (And when I get back, overseas at the moment.)

I dont have the MTM anymore, got it on ebay and turned out it was stolen, which is why I always buy new from places like TNVC now.

So I cant compare directly, but I think the image was very similar in quality, but the TA50 is way more user friendly in button layout etc.
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Still teetering as to whether or not to get one of these (either a T50 or T60)...  I've read that the PVS-22 is sort of like looking through a straw due to it being a clip-on and being intended for magnified optics.  Is that the case w/ the T50 and T60 as well?  If that is the case, then it seems these wouldn't work terribly well for scanning or for use as a dedicated sight (T50).  What say you that own them or have used them?
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#39]
IMHO, the FLIR T-50 is a better all around more versatile thermal hunting weapon optic even though it has the 320X240 pixel microbolometer.

It still works real good in front of a 4X scope or 3X Eotech Magnifier, has the internal reticules, five display brightness settings and 2X & 4X digital gain.

The T-50 is plenty good for killing hogs or 'yotes out to 250 yards, maybe 300 if you are good.

The T-60 is more of a singular specialized sniper thermal optic, there are no internal display brightness adjustments, no internal magnifications, no internal reticules, and no 2X or 4X digital  magnification. The only buttons on the T-60 are the white/black and NUC correction buttons. It is specifically made to interface with the ACOG 4X32. It does have the 640X480 microbolometer, so it has over 300,000 pixels compared to the T-50's 70,000. But even then it has the same germanium lens on it so you don't get much more distance range and recognition with the better microbolometer, but you can use higher magnification optic behind it.

Both are clip-ons, both have NTSC video output, both can be utilized as a hand scanner, both can handle up to .50 BMG recoil, and both are super easy to install or remove in seconds.

Only the T-50 can be used as a stand alone thermal sight without any other optic, the T-60 needs another optic for targeting.

I did order the ACOG 4X32 LED to go with the FLIR as Trijicon designed them to interface with the ACOG specifically.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=ACTS
http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=ATWS

I like them both, they are both very high quality instruments, you cannot go wrong with either one of them, really depends mainly on your application and budget.

You can IM me if you'd like to come up here and try them out some night....you are not that far away from me.

Trying them out in person would be a big plus in your decision.....

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 12:01:15 AM EDT
[#40]
250 yards would be more than plenty for me by a long shot (no pun intended).  Figure my IR laser for close and the clip-on for longer distance...  oh my my my the possibilities.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 7:28:50 AM EDT
[#41]
My backyard range is 225 yards, so that should cover it!
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 7:33:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Still teetering as to whether or not to get one of these (either a T50 or T60)...  I've read that the PVS-22 is sort of like looking through a straw due to it being a clip-on and being intended for magnified optics.  Is that the case w/ the T50 and T60 as well?  If that is the case, then it seems these wouldn't work terribly well for scanning or for use as a dedicated sight (T50).  What say you that own them or have used them?

Id recommend it.

I have used:

CNVD-T
TAM-14
PAS-13
TA50

Of those, I like the CVND-T the best, but not cost wise, and not user friendly wise.

The TA50 of the 4 is the best all around, clarity, usefulness, size, weight etc.

Its a great thermal by itself, but I still like it best when pared with TA44s.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Rolled a large hog with a lung shot @ 150 yards tonight through the FLIR T-50 Thermal, he ran off looking pretty good so will go out looking for him in the morning....

I sighted in my new ACOG TA02 LED 4X32 with the visible green laser earlier this evening, so will print some paper with it tomorrow too.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/ACOG%20TO2/Hog%20Down.wmv
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 9:29:43 AM EDT
[#44]
I was looking through an ACOG TA02 LED lighted reticule 4X32 behind the thermal and had the thermal internal reticules turned off, so I was seeing the same thing as the video except for 4X larger through the crosshairs.

I finished targeting the new ACOG this morning, five rounds through the 1 inch bullseye @ 100 yards. It was shooting about 2 inches high and 2 inches to the left prior to targeting it in today so I probably was off that amount or a little more on the hog last night as I had only co-witnessed the ACOG using the visible green laser when I got it last night via UPS.

It is ON TARGET NOW!

Just got back from dragging him out of the woods with the ATV, he made it almost 200 yards or so through the woods before he was exsanguinated.
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice Sow and eleven piglets showed up again tonight but let them go for now as I am after a nicer boar hog:

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Skypup, although out of reach, your pictures always make me salivate for better equipment... thanks and no thanks. Now keep it up
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Here is a short 2MB WMV file of shooting two one gallon water jugs using the thermal optic @ 100 yards with a handloaded Hornady 75 grain BTHP:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/ACOG%20TO2/FLIR%20Water%20Jugs.wmv

I installed an ACOG TA02 4X32 LED on the rail and it really works sweet with the FLIR Thermal:

Link Posted: 7/29/2012 1:41:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Was out hog hunting tonight on my stand in the backyard and three nice boars were about 75 yards out from me and I was about to pull the trigger on them when I saw another thermal register in the far off distance and lo and behold it was a lone coyote sneaking in.

I first picked up the coyote and recognized it as a coyote @ 350 yards and waited until it came in for about two minutes with the hogs rooting up in front of me.

Let the coyote have a Barnes 70 grain TSX at 200 yards and knocked him down, he got back up and shot him down for good.

The hogs all let out a good squeal and headed out to the swamp.

The ACOG 4X32 TA02 and FLIR thermal is a really sweet night hunting setup, very pleased with the performance of the thermal instrument and the ACOG optic!

Here is a 7.5MB WMV video of the coyote kill:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/ACOG%20TO2/Thermal%20Coyote%20Web.wmv

Link Posted: 7/29/2012 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#49]
The Thermal was RIGHT ON the money every time I pulled the trigger.

As you can see in the video, both shots were difficult quartering shots but both were right on target.

The coyote was on the rim of the forest canopy behind my game cam tree, the game cam tree is a laser measured 175 yards, my buddy who was with me said he was another 50 yards behind the game cam tree.

We both walked out there and he took the photo of me holding the coyote about 35 pounds or so. The 'yote was an easy 25-50 yards BEHIND the game cam tree.

Just a totally awesome night hunting setup out to a verified 200 yards, I am totally confident when I pull the trigger....

I was using my hand-loaded Barnes 70 grain TSX bullets since that is what I am using on the hogs, the hogs will certainly be back and did not shot one since the freezer is still full.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top