Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/22/2007 7:37:53 PM EDT

Has anyone heard of this new NVG? Sorry, I'm not a technofiend, but is this thing basically a supped up version of a CCD camcorder?

Any info is appreciated,
the price seems right
they claim Gen3+
tubless

http://www.wownightvision.com/faq.html

http://www.xenonics.com/supervision.asp
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 6:10:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 6:21:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/25/2007 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Vic,

Thanks for doing the footwork.  I am suspicious of the claims of better than Gen 3 - and no actual sample pictures.   The pictures that are presented are just the normal photoshopped versions that some sellers of Gen1 NVG use - not at all true to life...i can walk around with green sunglasses too lol.

Would greatly appreciate REAL sample pics.  

-  its a lotta money to plunk down on photoshopped pictures and they ought to know better.

Wonder if they tell you what the burn out time is for that CCD...

Again, Thanks Vic!!!  
Link Posted: 4/25/2007 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 6:02:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I look forward to the review I think we all know it will not be out performing high end gen 3 in low light conditions but I am sure if it works well enough it will have a place in the market. I have played with the NiteMax,weaver nightview, and just had a chance to check out the new bushnell stealthview all digital units. The Weaver would not see 30 yards on a dark night at my farm, but the Nitemax and Bushnell Stealth view did have good range maybe 100 yards which is how far the IR would shine I now thats nothing on high end SHP or gen 3 stuff,but I still find it fun to play with and for alot of folks they would be amazed they could even see in the dark at 100 yards.Also the price point is very low. I am sure as the low like camera tech get's better we will start to see some better units on the market that may become a good choice for the commerical market. When I go out to look around I normally perfer to use IR even with my Select A gen 3 stuff it just makes the image cleaner so acitve IR is as no concern I have yet to have a Raccon or pig shoot back at my IR light.IF I was military or a cop I would pick a passive system for sure. also there are some nice things to the digital Nv such as No worry about bright lights halo or even daylight damage. The bad points is all three units I have seen you better buy rechargeable batteries they ate good batteries like candy. My buddies Stealthview goes through a set of duracell AA's in around 1.5hrs of use. 2500mah rechargeables last about 3 hrs. So far I like the bushnell Stealthview the best of the digital units I have seen but feel it still needs some work with better battery life and the IR cast a dark shadow in the image from the IR element.
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 6:15:08 AM EDT
[#6]
ost.

curious about this company as well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2007 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Tagged.

Link Posted: 5/5/2007 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Any updates yet???

AC

Link Posted: 5/5/2007 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Tagged.

What he said.
Link Posted: 5/5/2007 8:54:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/5/2007 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Is it a back illuminated CCD?  If so, it will meet the claims.
Link Posted: 5/5/2007 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/5/2007 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Is it a back illuminated CCD?  If so, it will meet the claims.

Hello
A very brief perusal of google shows these things to be WAY more expensive than the xenonics $1400.00 end item price. I have never even heard of a back illuminated CCD. I had to look it up.

Please tell us more.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Link Posted: 5/6/2007 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Okay either it's gonna revolutionize NOD's or they're gonna get owned in every way possible!
Link Posted: 5/7/2007 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#15]
The FAQ about it
http://www.xenonics.com/SuperVisionFAQs.asp
says, "Range of Focus  20 feet to infinity"
A 20 foot minimum focus seems like a serious limitation to me! (Or am I missing something?)
Link Posted: 5/7/2007 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The FAQ about it
A 20 foot minimum focus seems like a serious limitation to me! (Or am I missing something?)

That is pretty bad considering a PVS 14 has a range of focus from like 6 inches to infinity. That right there would be a deal breaker for me as any kind of a monocular used in the pocket scope role needs to be able to "see" closer than 20 BLOODY feet.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Link Posted: 5/7/2007 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The FAQ about it

You'd need at least 5 or 6 feet just so you can see the ground you're stepping on.
Link Posted: 5/9/2007 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#18]
It`s a glorified Sony nightshot type of technology, that uses time exposure to enhance the image by reducing the frame rate, in other words, instead of 30 frames per second, you only get 5 frames per second, and the micro-processor makes a composite of the other 5 frames that would have occured in that time frame, like leaving the shutter open longer in a regular camera. my Sony digital camcorder has this same feature, it has the regular "nightshot" setting, and the "super nightshot" setting, whitch is much brighter, but the video is choppy, My Sony cost $350.00 new, and it records video and has a 25x optical zoom! with a 1.5 millon candlepower spotlight with a glass military IR filter, I can see a mouse at 100yds. This thing is  not backlit ccd tech, check out toshiba`s "IK-100A" (http://news.thomasnet.com/mobile/m-fullstory.html?category=3193&prid=469377) if you want to see that, it really is impressive, but not cheap!  Xenonics is putting lipstick on a pig for the purpose of pumping their stock, if you ask me.   here is a link to the patent:  http://www.google.com/patents?id=J9h-AAAAEBAJ&dq=xenonics
Link Posted: 5/12/2007 5:29:39 AM EDT
[#19]
BTT for an update...

AC
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#20]
tag for later
Link Posted: 5/15/2007 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#21]
bump ...want to see a review
Link Posted: 5/21/2007 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 5:48:04 AM EDT
[#23]
thanks for the update Victor,

the longer this runs out, the more skeptical Im getting,

thing I have found when company reps, stall and stall,
they never deliver

anyone want to start placing bets that this company just drops off the face of the earth before the end of the yr

I `ll also bet its a deal to sucker people in on their stocks, pump it up, grab the money and run,

now we watch,
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 7:00:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#26]
height=8
Quoted:
The latest I received after my inquiry yesterday....

"We apologize for the ongoing delay. We have had overwhelming demand for this new product and are in a back-logged situation with our sales orders.  We are still holding your request and will contact you just as soon as we are ready to go forward with demo units."

Backlogged on their sales orders sounds like another way of saying we havent sold a single unit yet.
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 4:33:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Any updates on this?

Link Posted: 6/8/2007 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Awesome.  Are you planning to post an update to this thread after that meeting?  Would love to hear your thoughts...

Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/9/2007 5:38:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I have a meeting with the President of Supervision next week where I will be getting a tour of their factory and will spend some time that evening with their monocular comparing it to some of my Gen 3 gear.  Hope this helps.

Vic

Great news, Victor!  Keep us udated. :)

AC
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 5:40:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 5:49:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Sorry to keep bugging you, but what day is your meeting scheduled?  
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Master Victor,

May I have another...............................................update on the Supervison!!!
AC
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 6:34:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The FAQ about it

You'd need at least 5 or 6 feet just so you can see the ground you're stepping on.

Yup, and even then you still bust your ass occasionally when you are out stomping through the woods with tunnel vision.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Master Victor,

May I have another...............................................update on the Supervison!!!
AC

It was a late night last night coming home from Xenonics last night.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/Supervision/PICT1689.jpg

More to come.....

Can't wait to see this one.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#38]
bump   REVIEW!!!!!!!  lol
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Tease
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 7:48:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#41]
interesting, basicly a active IR unit,

but can work in a lit up area with out needing the IR as past IR units have been, well that is  a somewhat of a advancement, if anyone has played with the old IR units PAS4 or M3,

now to see how well this stuff works in the field,
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#42]
So...  Less "super low light" capability, mainly useful in active mode, larger, minimum focus distance of 20 feet, around 1/20th the battery life (w/ some rechargable) of say a pvs-14.  So far it sounds like a winner (read weaner) to me.  Will await Vic's great judgement of it before truly bashing it.  Honestly, I do wish this technology well considering what an advancement it would be, just don't think it's here yet.  Eagerly awaiting it's review...
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
So...  Less "super low light" capability, mainly useful in active mode, larger, minimum focus distance of 20 feet, around 1/20th the battery life (w/ some rechargable) of say a pvs-14.  So far it sounds like a winner (read weaner) to me.  Will await Vic's great judgement of it before truly bashing it.  Honestly, I do wish this technology well considering what an advancement it would be, just don't think it's here yet.  Eagerly awaiting it's review...

The battery life alone makes this thing WORTHLESS. Coupled with the fact it HAS to run with active illumination in anything but well lit up urban areas? Dig out your sony handicam and strap on a bright IR light.

$1200 or so saved toward decent I2 of any flavor is money, much better applied to seeing in the dark. This thing will prove to be a passing fancy at best. It will never amount to a serious "tool" for any serious practitioners, i.e. Law Enforcment, Security or Millitary.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 3:58:44 AM EDT
[#44]
I don't see the lack of battery life being a problem at all, just carry a solar-powered charger along with you....oh wait, those don't work in the dark either.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:39:34 AM EDT
[#45]
This thing sees high detail at 1000', go to the XNN web site and look at the comparison, its pretty dramatic. I think the battery run time will be solved with a remote battery  pack or higher tech batteries, I may be buying one soon. $1400 or $3300?
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#46]
height=8
Quoted:
This thing sees high detail at 1000', go to the XNN web site and look at the comparison, its pretty dramatic. I think the battery run time will be solved with a remote battery  pack or higher tech batteries, I may be buying one soon. $1400 or $3300?

You're kidding, right?
I dont think that I'll trust the manufacturer's claims unless they can be validated by Victor or another trusted source. Just so much smoke, mirrors, and brags is all I have seen . This unit so far sounds like an improvement on the digital Weavers that were so highly touted but it appears to be far far from PVS-14/MUM ability.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#47]
SuperVision is one hundred times more powerfull than the weaver system ( weaver .03 lux, SV .0003 lux), Iv'e been doing alot of research on this subject. And with the weaver you get a choice of 3 colored filters ( this is a toy), Check out there web site and give me your opinion, they have some interesting vids. For my money and applications a high performance units at $1400, +  you can get a NRA life time membership with the unit, Im on the egde of buying one, give me a choice to look at thats comperable, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#48]
height=8
Quoted:
SuperVision is one hundred times more powerfull than the weaver system ( weaver .03 lux, SV .0003 lux), Iv'e been doing alot of research on this subject. And with the weaver you get a choice of 3 colored filters ( this is a toy), Check out there web site and give me your opinion, they have some interesting vids. For my money and applications a high performance units at $1400, +  you can get a NRA life time membership with the unit, Im on the egde of buying one, give me a choice to look at thats comperable, thanks.
How can I give you a comparable when they arent shipping any units???? Its all hype and promises at this point. I can find promises that claim even better for cheaper, but I see no need to waste our time doing that. Tested Facts by an impartial judge, not sales claims is what I look for.
Again, I'm awaiting on Victor's review/pics(hopefully) before I form an opinion on whether or not this is an overpriced toy. I'd advise you do the same before sending any money.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

You are "pushing on a slack rope" a bit in this particular forum.  Rather than relying on what some website says, maybe try and actually use one of the units which this is so much better than in the field.  

Try reading a map with a minimum focus distance of 20', or physically navigating through an obstruction laden course, for that matter.  You might also want to have someone point an IR illuminator at you while viewing through a real Gen III, and see what the signature of the "super" is.

Most of the folks that I know are NRA Life or Benefactor level folks anyway; that is a ploy on the marketeers part, arguably a good one for the uninformed.

You ask for a choice of what is comparable, and I would say there are none....real stuff costs real $$$.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#50]
height=8
SuperVision is one hundred times more powerfull than the weaver system ( weaver .03 lux, SV .0003 lux), Iv'e been doing alot of research on this subject. And with the weaver you get a choice of 3 colored filters ( this is a toy), Check out there web site and give me your opinion, they have some interesting vids. For my money and applications a high performance units at $1400, + you can get a NRA life time membership with the unit, Im on the egde of buying one, give me a choice to look at thats comperable, thanks.
 So 27cyble, what is your business relationship with Xenonics? you only have 2 post`s, and you sound like an company advertising troll pretending to be a forum member.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top