Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2006 1:16:36 PM EDT
First and foremost I would like to thank Vic for ONE HECK OF A PRODUCT!!  As some of my past posts have indicated, I had built a PVS-14/ Universal Adapter (from OptisHQ, again great customer service there also) setup late this past summer and loved it, the versatility, everything about it.  Well, the MUM universal adapter I purchased from vic a few weeks ago (just now got to try it out since I am home for the weekend) is AWESOME!!  I had very few complaints about the pvs-14 UA that I recently sold along w/ the unit.  This MUM adapter takes those small discrepancies and fixes them, as well as just generally being IMHO all around better as a whole.  
My first impression as I pulled it out of the box was HOLY SHIT THIS ONE IS ACTUALLY METAL!!  When I ordered my pvs-14 UA from opticshq in july I truly expected it to be metal.  When I got that particular adapter in the mail I discovered that it was actually plastic injection mold.  At first this was disappointing but to be fair, that adapter held perfectly stable and strong and I never ever had any problem w/ it due to its construction, otherwise I would have not continued w/ buying such adapters because I really did think this one for my MUM from vic would be plastic too.  Not so, this is a machined aluminum construction w/ much more ergonomic usage of attachment nuts.  I could not have been more impressed w/ the construction and finish of this thing.  

Then came test-mounting it on scopes for use later that night.  Vic’s adapter firmly and securely attached to every single scope I own (10 or so) w/o any problems.  W/ my pvs-14 adapter, there was one scope that no matter how much I tried I could not get it to fit on.  This was a cheapy Simmons 8-point 3-9x40.  The new adapter fit w/o a hitch.  

Another thing that I love about this mount is the fact that it is sort of QD w/ respect to taking the monocular on and off of it.  Instead of having to use a plastic bolt (like the attachment method on my pvs-14 adapter) that is not connected to the mount (which to me, makes it inherently easy to lose), the MUM adapter uses two attachment points that literally slide over the MUM’s rails on either side and give a nice gratifying “click” when the mounts have snapped in and the monoc is secure.  Removal is just as simple, depress the spring loaded tabs on the UA and slide the MUM out…  that simple.  This cuts the mounting and dismounting time easily 75% for me.

Another thing I liked about this unit was the fact that it had less “pointless bulk” to it.  My pvs-14 adapter did not fit on my brother’s ar-15 because there was not sufficient clearance between his scope ocular and the receiver’s rail (he has a one piece armalite scope mount on it).  It barely fit on my AR w/ a ½” YHM riser and medium rings, but it DID FIT.  Now the MUM adapter has absolutely no problem of the sort.  It fit my brother’s AR w/ room to spare and therefore I know it would also fit on my AR (do not have a scope mounted at this time).  This is a real consideration for those w/ lower clearance between their scope ocular and the mounting surface.

Yet another wonderful advantage of this adapter over the one used for my pvs-14 is the fact that the monoc objective lens is MUCH easier to focus on this one.  This makes the overall utility much easier and ergonomic.  This fact could easily be due to the fact that the MUM’s objective lens tapers, eliminating any possibility of the objective lens dragging on the structure of the mount which is what was common w/ my pvs-14/UA setup.  

Night testing was absolutely fantastic!!  This thing produced a clear picture w/ the MUM whether it was on a simmons, bushnell, or a nice burris.  Just like my pvs-14 setup, I was able to easily pick out small items at 200yds plus w/o IR.  Then I mounted my ELR illuminator to the generously sized rail built onto the UA (again, it’s METAL!!) and WOW.  A critter meandering about the banks of this huge 20acre pond would have had no chance of survival or even knowing what was about to happen.  Last night was a nice moonlit night so this definitely helped, but I will test on a moonless cloudy night as soon as one comes my way.  It is in those conditions that I feel that a high power IR like mine or a nice variable torch like vic’s new one (god and finance willing, I will be obtaining one of these soon) would be most helpful, but last night NO IR WAS NEEDED!!!!  
I am totally thrilled w/ this universal adapter and will most certainly be getting many hours of fun out of it in the coming years.  Thanks again to Vic and his great product line!!  Hope this helps someone out there, buy with confidence!!  I will try to post pics later this evening, but the fam is starting to get here for dinner right now so I must end my ranting here!!  

(this review is in NO WAY attempting to detract from the quality of the UA I received from opticsHQ.  I had absolutely zero serious issues w/ it and loved and used it until the very day it was sold.  I would have no problem w/ buying from opticsHQ again and indeed love their customer service which is a rare find in today’s market.)

Link Posted: 11/4/2006 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Here are those pics...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top