Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2014 11:55:30 AM EDT
I sent in a lower for engraving to Ident Marking back in the beginning of March.  I was told they had a 4 week turnaround but I still haven't heard anything from them.  I just called to see what was up.  No one answered, but their voicemail message said something to the effect..."It's April 4th, we're at a show, leave a number and we'll call you back."  The April 4th part has me a bit concerned seeing as how it's now the 23rd.  I've read nothing but good reviews on these guys.  
Anyone have any insight or know anything about these guys?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Be patient, they're backed up due to everyone making SBR's.  I called last and they told me expect 6-8 weeks....but if I had to guess it'll be probably longer...you'll get a tracking number when it's done.  The wait will be worth it...use the time to plan another build!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Ident's turnaround is insane right now.

I highly suggest people look into Gray Laser Engraving in Texas.

I used Ident in the past, but didn't want to deal with the wait this go around.

I sent two lowers to Gray Laser Engraving about 3 weeks ago. They received my lowers on a Wednesday, and already had them engraved, and on their way back to me the very next day.

They can engrave inside the trigger guard as well, and the work is every bit as impeccable as Ident's.

Not to mention they are a pleasure to deal with over the phone if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Ident received my lowers on March 11.  I called Monday and asked for a status update.  They said they expected to get to mine by the end of this week or early next week.  So after that and shipping time, expect close to a 2 month turnaround.

If you are in a hurry, you may want to go somewhere else.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]
6-8 weeks

One of the engravers shit the bed, and it set them back big time.

You will get your lower soon enough.

Mine was attempted to be delivered today, but no one was here to sign for it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I got mine back finally.  Took forever but look great as usual.  ATF is taking so long that wait at Ident meant nothing
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with AR-Ryan.

I sent two tubes (form 1 supressors) to be engraved by Bill Gray Monday, arrived Wednesday. I had to call him today to change something. He said they'd be headed back my way Friday at the latest...

I was happy with the work he did for me on a SBR lower last year.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I liked Ident's work on one of my lowers (but I walked into to get it done).

Once I moved I mailed all mine to Bill at Gray. Less than 72 hours they were back to me in my hands. I don't see a reason to wait for Ident.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#8]
use Gray or Orion. Gray is the fastest in my opinion. I have used all three. Used Ident last time and they had my lowers over 2 months. I even spoke to them the day before they shipped and was quoted 2-3 weeks. Called a couple of times and was given every reason under the bus why they were not done. Was lied to a total of 4 times on the time frame. If I had to use Ident again I will just use a dremel  I should of just used Gray again, that is who I used the time before last and I had a week turnaround from mailing to getting them back and that was the week before one of the shot shows. I only tried Ident because everybody praises them so much, not again for me
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Got a call back, said they should get to it early next week sometime.  Thanks for all the replies, might have to look elsewhere next time
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#10]
One other option I've used (had six engraved by six different places) is user CS223 here.  He has a shop in FL, and usually engraves on Sundays. So, if you ship it to arrive by Fri, it's on it's way back Mon morning. Very satisfied with the one he did for me. I had one done by Ident, but haven't used Gray or Orion so far...will try them if/when I file more F1s.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got a call back, said they should get to it early next week sometime.  Thanks for all the replies, might have to look elsewhere next time
View Quote

That's the same thing they said to me about my lowers that were also sent in early March.

So ours should be right next to each others.  Lower buddies!

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:26:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Bill at Gray Laser Engraving is top notch.  I sent 3 lowers on a Friday.  They received it Monday morning and I got an invoice the same afternoon.  I was totally shocked at the turnaround time.  Bill said that I got lucky because they were experiencing a storm and could not do engravings that took a lot of time so all my lowers went in front of the line.

The work he did exactly how I wanted it.  On my forged lower, he engraved it under the trigger guard.  On my billet lowers, he engraved it on the trigger guard itself.

You cannot beat the turnaround and the customer service.  Cannot wait to send my suppressors to Gray when they get out of jail.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:28:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Another member here, SeanTX, who works with me, got his lower back and the engraving was crooked.  You're stuck with it at that point.  

That was after a 5-6 week wait.

No more Ident Marking for me.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:47:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I keep posting this when topics like this come up. Most likely there's a local shop that can do excellent work, Ident is not the only engraver in that knows what their doing.

Had this done locally after asking my HTF for a local engraver. Dropped it off at lunch, picked it up next day at lunch. I couldn't be happier!

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Another member here, SeanTX, who works with me, got his lower back and the engraving was crooked.  You're stuck with it at that point.  

That was after a 5-6 week wait.

No more Ident Marking for me.

View Quote

If you live near them they do walk-ins on Thursdays IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#16]
how do i contact Gray ? thanks
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Check out their website.  Do a search for Gray Laser Engraving. Their number and email is on the site.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
how do i contact Gray ? thanks
View Quote

[email protected]

210-877-2400

Got a call from him today. My tubes that got there yesterday were mailed back today. 1 day turnaround.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:41:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Dang...I should have Ident send mine back and then ship it to Gray....I'll probably save at least another several weeks of waiting. I never figured that the ATF would beat the engraver when I shipped it to Ident in early March.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#20]
What is a few weeks when your SBR project takes 9 months thanks to ATF?

Ident does such good work that I don't mind waiting a little longer.  I have other guns I can shoot in the meantime.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I tried emailing Gray a couple times a month or so ago and they still haven't replied to me.  I ended up just walking in and out at Ident with my engraving done.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:37:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I tried emailing Gray a couple times a month or so ago and they still haven't replied to me.  I ended up just walking in and out at Ident with my engraving done.
View Quote

I get the idea Gray is more of a phone shop.

I've called them three different times on three different afternoons.

I always reached someone, and they were always happy to answer any and all questions I had.

I rarely go out of my way to recommended companies, but Gray Engraving is as good of a company as I've ever dealt with in this entire industry.

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Just got my tracking number...scheduled for delivery on 05May!
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I got my lowers back today from Ident.

From mailbox to mailbox was 1 month, 24 days.

It's much smaller than I thought it would be...I would take pictures, but my potato can not get close enough to get a good clear picture.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's much smaller than I thought it would be...I would take pictures, but my potato can not get close enough to get a good clear picture.
View Quote

That was my first thought. Quality job, but much smaller than I expected. Mainly because the first one I got done was by a dealer that added my info when they added their roll mark to the lower and it's HUGE. Last name is only 6 letters, and they didn't even get HHHHHH Living Trust on one line, but put TRUST on a separate line. It was done before the anodizing, so it looks better than any of the rest...other than the huge font. I can post a pic tomorrow for your entertainment.

I snapped a couple of mine...and I'll assume yours looks similar.

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I got my lowers back today from Ident.

From mailbox to mailbox was 1 month, 24 days.

View Quote

They must have still been tooled up from doing mine under the trigger

Pretty small font when they do it under there
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Yea Big W, that's what mine look like! But I got my info engraved on the left side above the pins

ETA:  Big W, is your mag button on backwards?
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

ETA:  Big W, is your mag button on backwards?
View Quote

Never really thought about it. I used the guides from Brownells when I built the lowers, and it didn't specify. Neither did the guide I looked at here.

Guess I assumed (incorrectly) the grooves were there to catch the spring, instead of to provide a gripping surface. It installs either way with no problem, and they've all functioned just fine.

Guess I know what I'm doing for the next hour...reversing a dozen mag release buttons.

And just for comparison to the Ident engraving...here's the first one I ever got back, where the manufacturer did it at no charge before they anodized the lower.

They also marked one PISTOL for me (yes, I'm well aware it's not required, just thought it may save some headache with LEO one day):

(And notice I'm consistent with the mag releases )
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Ident may be running slow now but I send my lowers off after I submit the paperwork so I don't really care how long it takes.  Besides that Jeanne is awesome and they do GREAT work.  I won't send my lowers anywhere else.
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 7:16:31 AM EDT
[#30]
so is Ident still recommended ? thanks
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#31]
So what's the turn around time as of today? Are times coming back down any?
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm wondering also I have my 2 ready to ship out Monday, for my 1/17 EForm 1.
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Honestly they are most likely still at 6+ weeks.  If you live close by them, you can make an appointment you can walk in and get it done while you wait.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 4:15:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Honestly they are most likely still at 6+ weeks.  If you live close by them, you can make an appointment you can walk in and get it done while you wait.
View Quote

this is true.  it's 60 bucks to wait on them and 45 to send it in and wait the 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 7:44:47 AM EDT
[#35]
I think I am going to give Gray a try this time around. Flat-rate boxes OK/legal to use for lowers?
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#36]
That's what I used.  I  didn't say anything about what was in the box but I did insure it for the price of the lower, parts kit, and tax stamp!

Quoted:
I think I am going to give Gray a try this time around. Flat-rate boxes OK/legal to use for lowers?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2014 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#37]
I've been waiting over 2 weeks for them to return mine and issue a refund. Engraving isn't the only thing they are behind on
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I always reached someone, and they were always happy to answer any and all questions I had.

I rarely go out of my way to recommended companies, but Gray Engraving is as good of a company as I've ever dealt with in this entire industry.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is really great at the phone call aspect, and not so much at the email, partly because he receives so many bullshit emails asking quotes and such( he'd rather work than spend the day answering the same question that is already addressed on his website). His turn around is phenomenal, especially if you're physically there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top