Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2008 12:58:53 PM EDT
The normal, friend of a friend of a friend told a friend that he has such a gun.

Link Posted: 12/30/2008 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll give this a shot, yes there are bushmaster m16's but bushmaster did not make the lower they just converted sendra receivers to full auto by drilling a hole and filling out paperwork before may 1986
Link Posted: 12/30/2008 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#2]
There are at least two I know of Bushmaster  "snake logo" factory, transferable M16 lowers made before 1986 cutoff.
These were for sale on the gun boards a few years back.
A huge debate happened over the posting as to if they were legal transferables.
They in fact were proven transferable and some lucky owners have them.
They are true snake logo bushmaster lowers not sendra.
I know of two, and there are probably more.
If I remember correct I posted on the sale of one of them on this site in the old full auto forum. I think the sale was on strum, it was a few years ago and was in the 10K price range. It was pricy at that time. pics clearly showed SN and full snake logo.
SN was visible in some pic and bushmaster confirmed it as a transferable.

EDIT: I found some of the old info I had on this subject.
It appears that my memory was off.
the rifles for sale were bushmaster snake logo BUT it was never resolved as to if they were factory full auto. they were snake logo bushmaster one of the serial # was L030619
the debate was over if they were semi converted lowers or factory replacement lowers.
the bottom line is that there are transferable snake lowers
Link Posted: 12/30/2008 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I wanted better information so I sought out the original source.

I just got off the phone w/ the owner and it is a true Bushmaster A1 style full auto.

He bought it in the early 90's. Approx: 14" barrel with XM flash suppressor.

He is thinking of getting out of Class III collecting so it may soon be for sale.   It sounds like he runs in a circle of NFA guys, so it will probably be sold without ever popping up on a for sale board.

I am pretty sure I could have bought it for a very fair price.  He even told me what he paid for it.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2008 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There are at least two I know of Bushmaster  "snake logo" factory, transferable M16 lowers made before 1986 cutoff.
These were for sale on the gun boards a few years back.
A huge debate happened over the posting as to if they were legal transferables.
They in fact were proven transferable and some lucky owners have them.
They are true snake logo bushmaster lowers not sendra.
I know of two, and there are probably more.
If I remember correct I posted on the sale of one of them on this site in the old full auto forum. I think the sale was on strum, it was a few years ago and was in the 10K price range. It was pricy at that time. pics clearly showed SN and full snake logo.
SN was visible in some pic and bushmaster confirmed it as a transferable.

EDIT: I found some of the old info I had on this subject.
It appears that my memory was off.
the rifles for sale were bushmaster snake logo BUT it was never resolved as to if they were factory full auto. they were snake logo bushmaster one of the serial # was L030619
the debate was over if they were semi converted lowers or factory replacement lowers.
the bottom line is that there are transferable snake lowers

Thanks for jumping in with information.  

Transferable M16's are out of my budget for the forseeable future.   My SBR is built on a Bushmaster lower.   As close as I'm going to get for now.   I did choose my Bushmaster lower just in case I can fund a RDIAS some day.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2008 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
You wouldn't want to pass on some info for another Pa res?
Link Posted: 12/30/2008 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#6]
i have seen a bushmaster snake gun in person.

they are out there.
Link Posted: 12/31/2008 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You wouldn't want to pass on some info for another Pa res?

If he decides to sell, I'll add it to this thread.  

As it turned out, the friend of a friend of a friend was closer than I thought.  He is the son of a good friend of mine so I'll probably be aware if/when it goes on sale.

Link Posted: 12/31/2008 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a guy with Sendra M16 tell me that it was a bushmaster gun... Never really followed up on it but he did seem like a credible guy....

I don't know if Bushmaster produced the lowers for Sendra or if they just did the M16 conversion, but he was passing it off as a Bushy...

On a side note I could have bought that gun for $3K back in 1997...
Link Posted: 12/31/2008 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes, I know there are at least seven snake-marked "transferable" Bushy M16's out there. I would not touch one with the proverbial ten-foot pole.

Why not?  Is there something about thes Bushy's that makes them less valuable or useable than any others.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I know there are at least seven snake-marked "transferable" Bushy M16's out there. I would not touch one with the proverbial ten-foot pole.

Why not?  Is there something about thes Bushy's that makes them less valuable or useable than any others.

Based on tony_k's comments, I would guess that any transferable snake-logo full-auto bushmasters were likely "remanufactured" post-1986.  The legality of such an item is questionable at best.  Caveat emptor.

Joe
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:Bushmaster –– B.F.I. –– did not manufacture their own lower receivers prior to May 19, 1986. Instead, they bought finished existing Title 1 receivers (mostly Sendra receivers from Drasen Corp), milled-and-drilled them and filed Form 2's, and registered them as MGs. They had both Sendra (or whatever) and B.F.I. markings.

TonyK is refering to the Snake Logo lowers.  Since Bushmaster did not make their own prior to the ban, any "transferable" Registered Lower Receiver with a snake logo lower on it is probably a "replacement" receiver.  Which may not be 100% legal according to the ATF.  A few years ago the ATF issued a warning/statement or something to Olympic Arms to stop replacing/remanufacturing Registered MG receivers and putting on the original Serial Numbers.

Basically the ATF may decide that those remade receivers are contraband and take them away and you would be SOL.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Joe, Sherm,

Thanks, now I understand.   I am not looking to buy this gun, (no $$$) but always trying to learn.

So more questions.  When does the BATFE look at these kind of issues?

If I understood correctly, this gun hasn't been transferred since the late 80's early 90's.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Tony,

Thanks for taking the time to write that.

I don't know the owner of this particular beyond one phone call but if you don't mind, I'll share what you have written with him.

Thanks again,

Mike
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#16]
They also converted a number of EA lowers.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Now I'm curious.

He never specifically said it was a Snake lower, but I didn't know that much about the pre-86 history of Bushmaster so I presumed it was.

I think I'll email him and find out how the lower is marked.

If Bushmaster converted it, the paperwork would say Bushmaster, correct?

Link Posted: 1/2/2009 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top