Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2008 11:00:08 AM EDT
I was reading in the hometwon forum that the ATF will not approve travel with a SBR to NC since they are illegal.  

Anyone have information on this?

Link

Link Posted: 1/18/2008 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#1]
They are conditionally legal in North Carolina. They are considered weapons of mass death and destruction, and the only legal reason to posess one is for scientific or R&D purposes. There is statuatory verbiage that allows scientists, inventors and other such types to have such weapons under those circumstances.  Otherwise they are a no-go.

Somebody from NC can further elaborate.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#2]
If I have it on a Form 1, under a research LLC in SC(which I will), can I travel to NC to visit my in-laws?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#3]
??
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If I have it on a Form 1, under a research LLC in SC(which I will), can I travel to NC to visit my in-laws?

I believe the answer is yes, but I also believe there may be a federal form you must complete in order to transport the class III weapon across state lines.

You should ask ATF to confirm, as I am not 100% sure of teh form is merely to transport or if the permanent address changes states.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe the answer is yes, but I also believe there may be a federal form you must complete in order to transport the class III weapon across state lines.

You should ask ATF to confirm, as I am not 100% sure of teh form is merely to transport or if the permanent address changes states.

You do need to have a 5320.2 approved to take all NFA firearms, sans suppressors and AOWs. You will need to supply a reason for taking them across state lines, and that reason will need to be legal in the destination state. ie. If you write that you are bringing your SBR to NC to use for defending your hotel room, you WILL be disapproved, because you can only posess it in NC for R&D or science purposes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]
So if I take it to NC to discuss the benefits of SBRs with a FFL I  know and during the process my BIL shot the gun we should be ok?

I guess I will have to submit the paperwork and see if it is approved.
Top Top