[#1]
Quoted:
Each package contains the following:
2 x Form 1s, signed in BLUE ink
1x Certificate of citizenship also signed in BLUE ink
1x check for $200.00
1x Copy of executed trust
1x schedule A

My friend just had his Form 1 approved last week. It was approved without a Certificate of Citizenship. Took 60 days exactly from the day the check was cashed to his mailbox.
Link Posted: 12/8/2008 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Just got two out of three form-1s sent on 10-18-2008 received 12-8-2008 without the citizenship forms. Trust transfer.
Link Posted: 12/8/2008 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is an interesting post from another forum regarding setting up a Trust instead of a Corp for NFA item transfers. Sounds almost too good to be true.

Looking for comments from other people that have experience with this.

sigforum.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/669101014/p/1

Am I missing somthing or is this link DEAD?
I did not read thru the 50+ pages to find if the link was reposted??
I would like to read up on this info.

669101014 is an invalid value for m.

Thats what I get when I click on that link.
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#4]
On the citizenship form. If im doing a trust do i put John Doe, or The John Doe Revocable Living Trust?

The from says..

1. Name under which the application was filed. (Last Name, First Name, Middle Name - or - Name of Corporation, Partnership, or Association, if applicable)

2. Name of person certifying to citizenship. (Last Name, First Name, Middle Name)

I did mine as..

1. The John Doe Revocable Living Trust
2.  Doe, John A

Is that correct? Or is it supposed to be 1 and 2 the same if its a trust?
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#5]
correct except sign it Doe,m John A., Trustee
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Each package contains the following:
2 x Form 1s, signed in BLUE ink
1x Certificate of citizenship also signed in BLUE ink
1x check for $200.00
1x Copy of executed trust
1x schedule A

My friend just had his Form 1 approved last week. It was approved without a Certificate of Citizenship. Took 60 days exactly from the day the check was cashed to his mailbox.

So?  I had some form 4's for an llc approved without the cert of citizenship.  I have also had trusts approved wothout the schedule A.

Then . . . . someone wakes up and you get a rejection-correction letter and your shit is hung up for a few more weeks.

What's the point?  Do what you know is right.

Link Posted: 12/15/2008 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm about to send in my paperwork.  Do I use the July 2004 or September 2007 Form 1?  Or does it matter?  The ATF website says the form is not available electronically.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#8]
My form 4 got to Atlanta on Friday the 12th, so now comes the wait.  My dealer told me 6 weeks, but I have my fingers crossed on that one... Cant wait..

spr/m4 here I come..  
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.  Spend a few bucks and get it done right to begin with.

my $.02

Bob J. Howell, Esq., FFL/SOT

Question.  Let's say someone does a trust with like Quicken...and then has an attorney review it and they find a problem.  Can you amend the existing trust to fix the problem or do you create a new trust and transfer the items (and pay again)?
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm trying to finish up writing up my RLT that I made with Quicken Willmaker, but am having a hard time trying to figure out what I should call it, surname it or abbreviate it to. I heard some people have written "...which shall also be known as the CMT&ART Trust" in their Part 1 of the RLT so that they can have something much smaller engraved on the front of their lowers. I don't think there's enough room to engrave:

"Cornelius Mortimer Tanfoglio and Articia Roxanne Tanfoglio Revocable Living Trust"

...on my lower. (names changed, but general overall lenght is still just as obscenely long...) Does the actual trust document have to SAY "CMT&ART Trust" in order for that to be engraved?

What other abbreviations are allowed?
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm trying to finish up writing up my RLT that I made with Quicken Willmaker, but am having a hard time trying to figure out what I should call it, surname it or abbreviate it to. I heard some people have written "...which shall also be known as the CMT&ART Trust" in their Part 1 of the RLT so that they can have something much smaller engraved on the front of their lowers. I don't think there's enough room to engrave:

"Cornelius Mortimer Tanfoglio and Articia Roxanne Tanfoglio Revocable Living Trust"

...on my lower. (names changed, but general overall lenght is still just as obscenely long...) Does the actual trust document have to SAY "CMT&ART Trust" in order for that to be engraved?

What other abbreviations are allowed?

I might go with "CMTanfaglio&ARTanfaglio Trust" or even "CM&ARTanfaglio Trust" to save space, but all initials is probably too compressed.  I used my and my wife's first initial and last name to name the trust, so we had just first initials with '&' between them, then our last name and "Trust" engraved.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:Question.  Let's say someone does a trust with like Quicken...and then has an attorney review it and they find a problem.  Can you amend the existing trust to fix the problem or do you create a new trust and transfer the items (and pay again)?

You should be able to amend the trust.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#13]
deletteeeeddd
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here is a copy of my article from the March 08 issue of Small Arms Review.  Hope this helps some of you.

The Legal Side
By Bob J. Howell, Esq.

Several years ago, the author was approached by a friend in the NFA community.  His local Sheriff had stopped signing off on any NFA transfers, despite promises to the contrary when he was merely a candidate for the office.  This friend, being in the NFA business, was concerned about the effect this would have on his customers.  Sure he could tell them to go the corporate route, but he wondered if there was another way.  As an estate planning attorney for the last 15 years the author has had the opportunity to assist clients with the disposition of a wide variety of personal assets, including NFA items.  Having established a number of Revocable Trusts for past clients with NFA assets, the author told him about the benefits that a Revocable Trust could offer and began doing Trusts for his customers.  Word began to circulate about this new way of doing things.  In an effort to better answer the flood of questions received on the topic, the author submitted an article for the Legal Side in the March 2007 issue of Small Arms Review, outlining the general concepts behind the use of the Revocable Trust for NFA ownership.  From that article the number of individuals using Revocable Trusts for NFA ownership has skyrocketed and whenever a radical change occurs, more questions necessarily follow. This article is a compilation of some of the questions the author has received about the use of the Revocable Trust with respect to NFA ownership and is presented in an effort to further help the NFA community understand the use of this powerful tool.  As always, check your local laws as they may vary.

Q: What is a Revocable Trust?

A Revocable Trust is a legal entity established under state law.  A Revocable Trust can own both real and personal property in its own name and as such is no different than a Corporation holding NFA items.  The Code of Federal Regulations (27 C.F.R. Part 179), Section 179.11 specifically defines a Person (i.e. someone who is authorized to purchase NFA) to include Trusts as well as Corporations.

Q: Does the Trust require a separate tax I.D. number?

Unlike a Corporation, a  Revocable Trust does not need a separate tax ID number (as long as you are the trustee of your own trust).  

Q: Does a Revocable Trust require individual tax returns?

With a Revocable Trust, if you are acting as your own trustee, there are no separate tax returns.  A Revocable Trust is transparent for income tax purposes. Any gains or losses are reported on your own individual returns and no separate tax returns (or the fees associated with their preparation) are necessary.  If you use a Corporation to hold title to NFA items, most CPAs will generally advise you to file a federal tax return for the corporation, even if the Corporation has no income.  Many states also have their own State Corporate tax return that needs to be filed as well.

Q: Can I make changes to my Trust?

The Grantor of the properly drafted Revocable Trust has the power to amend and/or revoke the Trust (hence the name “Revocable Trust”) and the power to add or remove the assets at will.  The Grantor of a Revocable Trust should be mindful of the effect that various events in their life may have on their trust and its operation.  The death of a beneficiary or successor Trustee, the birth of child, and a recent divorce are some of the things to keep in mind for possible amendments to your Trust.

Q: What happens if I move to another state?

Most states follow some form of the Uniform Trust Code which provides that if your Revocable Trust was valid in your state of residence when created, it will be legal in your new state.  However, I still advise all clients to have an estate planning attorney in their new state review the trust document to see if any changes are necessary or advisable.  Generally it is easier to move with a Revocable Trust than it is to move with a corporation.

Q: Will a Revocable Trust prevent creditors from reaching my NFA items?

A Revocable Trust will not generally provide any more protection from creditors than owning the assets individually.  I say generally since the assets are held in the name of the trust and not your individual name so a creditor may have trouble finding them or may be unaware of the existence or potential value of NFA assets.  A smart litigator may be able to find and reach the trust assets or at least the proceeds from their sale.  However, if you hold NFA items in a corporation and someone is injured while you or your friends are shooting them you can probably count on being sued individually regardless of how the NFA assets are held.  

Q: Can a Trust save money over Corporate NFA ownership?

In addition to the initial set up costs, most states have some sort of Corporate annual fee or tax (in Florida the fee for filing the Corporate Annual Report is presently $150.00).  This fee, which is subject to increase as the state sees fit, must be paid every year to keep the corporation active.  This can get expensive in the long run and failure to pay the annual fee will result in the corporation being administratively dissolved.  If this happens and the corporation owns NFA items then you have a serious legal problem.  Reinstating the administratively dissolved corporation, if possible, is generally expensive (in Florida the filing fee alone is $550.00).  After the initial cost of establishing a Revocable Trust there are generally no annual maintenance or filing fees.  In addition the Revocable Trust can also save money by not having to pay for the preparation of state or federal tax returns which may be required when using a corporate entity.

Q: What happens to the NFA items in the trust when I die?

A Revocable Trust can provide for the disposition of the NFA assets at the Grantors death, either by liquidating the items and distributing the cash or by distributing the trust assets directly to the named beneficiaries (provided ownership is legal in the beneficiaries jurisdiction and they are not a disqualified person).  If the NFA items are individually held or held in a corporation, then they will be subject to the time and expense of Probate at the death of the individual.  

Q: What happens to the NFA items in the trust if I become incapacitated?

If your Revocable Trust has been properly prepared it may include the ability for the Successor Trustee to manage the assets for your benefit during your incapacity allowing the Successor to sell any assets necessary for the care, support and comfort of the Grantor.  With assets owned individually or in a corporation, it may be necessary to appoint a guardian to reach your assets upon your incapacity.

Q: What do I need to Submit with a Transfer to a Trust?

There has been much discussion, and well intentioned although uninformed advice, about this on various internet discussion boards.  While some have gotten away with sending less, the Author has always advised his clients to attach a photocopy of the entire trust agreement (including the Schedule “A”) to the Form 4 or Form 1 being submitted.  In the past some have sent in a “Certificate of Trust” in place of the full trust agreement and received their transfers back approved.  The current policy of the NFA branch is to require a copy of the full trust agreement.  There are no fingerprints or photos required with a Trust (or a corporation or LLC for that matter) and no LEO signoff is required.

Q: Do I need to transfer any NFA items I already own individually to my trust?

Transferring NFA items you already have into your trust is just that, a transfer, and as such it requires a Form 4 and the $200.00 transfer tax.   While it is not required to transfer NFA items you already own individually into your trust, doing so will allow you to reap the benefits available under Trust ownership for all the assets.

Q: How do I fill out the Form 1 or 4 when there is a trust involved?

You must fill out the Form listing the Trust as the Maker or Transferee (i.e. John Doe Revocable Firearms Trust, John Doe, Trustee) and sign the Form in your capacity as Trustee (i.e John Doe, Trustee).

Q: Do I need to amend the Trust everytime I buy or sell and NFA item?

Again, there has been a lot of rumor about this on the internet as well.  It is not necessary to amend your Revocable Trust each time you add or remove an asset and you are not required to list each item on your Schedule “A”.  The approved Form 1 or Form 4 are the proof of ownership of the NFA item in the Trust.  

Q: What should I name by Revocable Trust?

You can name your trust anything you want.  However the author generally suggests something along the lines of “The John Doe NFA Trust” of “The John Doe Firearms Trust”.  Anyone who has been in the hobby for a while has a story of running into a law enforcement official who does not understand the legality of ownership of NFA items.  Oftentimes showing them your Form 4 or 1 is all you need to settle the problem. If the name of your trust on the form contains your own name it oftentimes makes it easier for the other party to understand that you are in compliance.

Q: Should I prepare my own Trust?

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.  There is no substitute for competent legal advice, particularly when dealing with Revocable Trusts.  It is quite possible to draft a document yourself that will establish a valid Trust.  However legally creating it and properly creating it can be two different things.  Usually, it is your heirs that find out after your death that there was a problem in your Revocable Trust.  The author has personally reviewed a number of trusts created using various fill in the blank forms or over the counter software where there were serious flaws present in the construction of the document or in the disposition of the assets that would not have come to light until the Grantor’s death, when it is too late to fix.  Also, don’t think that because a transfer goes through with your Revocable Trust that the it must be O.K.  While the attorneys at the BATFE do review your Trust to see if it is a legally established entity, they are not examining it to see if it properly takes care of your beneficiaries,  provides for your incapacity, has sufficient provisions for appointment of Successor Trustees, and so forth.  For these reasons it is advisable to have an experienced estate planning attorney prepare your Trust.  That way you can be assured that it is correctly prepared, executed in accordance with the requirements under your state law and provides for the distribution of the assets in accordance with your wishes at your death.  

For further questions call or email
Bob J. Howell, Esq.
8551 W. Sunrise Boulevard, Ste 207
Plantation, FL 33322
(954) 424-8889
[email protected]

So paying you $500 beats what I have for FREE for MD, know it passes muster and is in full effect and force?

Dude - not to be rude, but 10 posts and you are asking $500 for what is below?  Fish elsewhere man.
Declaration of Trust

Part 1. Trust Name
This revocable living trust shall be known as the Name of your trust Revocable Living Trust.

Part 2. Declaration of Trust
Your Name, called the grantor, declares that he has transferred and delivered to the trustee all his interest in the property described in Schedule A attached to this Declaration of Trust. All of that property is called the "trust property." The trustee hereby acknowledges receipt of the trust property and agrees to hold the trust property in trust, according to this Declaration of Trust.
The grantor may add property to the trust.

Part 3. Terminology
The term "this Declaration of Trust" includes any provisions added by valid amendment.

Part 4. Amendment and Revocation
A. Amendment or Revocation by Grantor
The grantor may amend or revoke this trust at any time, without notifying any beneficiary. An amendment must be made in writing and signed by the grantor. Revocation may be in writing or any manner allowed by law.
B. Amendment or Revocation by Other Person
The power to revoke or amend this trust is personal to the grantor. A conservator, guardian or other person shall not exercise it on behalf of the grantor, unless the grantor specifically grants a power to revoke or amend this trust in a Durable Power of Attorney.

Part 5. Payments From Trust During Grantor's Lifetime
The trustee shall pay to or use for the benefit of the grantor as much of the net income and principal of the trust property as the grantor requests. Income shall be paid to the grantor at least annually. Income accruing in or paid to trust accounts shall be deemed to have been paid to the grantor.

Part 6. Trustees
A. Trustee
Your name shall be the trustee of this trust.
B. Trustee's Responsibilities
The trustee in office shall serve as trustee of all trusts created under this Declaration of Trust, including children's subtrusts.
C. Terminology
In this Declaration of Trust, the term "trustee" includes successor trustees or alternate successor trustees serving as trustee of this trust. The singular "trustee" also includes the plural.
D. Successor Trustee
Upon the death or incapacity of Your name, the trustee of this trust and of any children's subtrusts created by it shall be Name of secondary trustees. Each successor trustee has full and independent authority to act for and represent the trust. If Name of secondary trustees are unable or unwilling to serve as successor trustee, Name of successor trustees shall serve as trustee. Each of them has full and independent authority to act for and represent the trust.
E. Resignation of Trustee
Any trustee in office may resign at any time by signing a notice of resignation. The resignation shall be delivered to the person or institution who is either named in this Declaration of Trust, or appointed by the trustee under Section F of this Part, to next serve as the trustee.
F. Power to Appoint Successor Trustee
If no one named in this Declaration of Trust as a successor trustee or alternate successor trustee is willing or able to serve as trustee, the last acting trustee may appoint a successor trustee and may require the posting of a reasonable bond, to be paid for from the trust property. The appointment must be made in writing, signed by the trustee and notarized.
G. Bond
No bond shall be required for any trustee named in this Declaration of Trust.
H. Compensation
No trustee shall receive any compensation for serving as trustee, unless the trustee serves as a trustee of a child's subtrust created by this Declaration of Trust.
I. Liability of Trustee
With respect to the exercise or non-exercise of discretionary powers granted by this Declaration of Trust, the trustee shall not be liable for actions taken in good faith. Such actions shall be binding on all persons interested in the trust property.

Part 7. Trustee's Management Powers and Duties
A. Powers Under State Law
The trustee shall have all authority and powers allowed or conferred on a trustee under Maryland law, subject to the trustee's fiduciary duty to the grantors and the beneficiaries.
B. Specified Powers
The trustee's powers include, but are not limited to:
1. The power to sell trust property, and to borrow money and to encumber trust property, including trust real estate, by mortgage, deed of trust or other method.
2. The power to manage trust real estate as if the trustee were the absolute owner of it, including the power to lease (even if the lease term may extend beyond the period of any trust) or grant options to lease the property, to make repairs or alterations and to insure against loss.
3. The power to sell or grant options for the sale or exchange of any trust property, including stocks, bonds, debentures and any other form of security or security account, at public or private sale for cash or on credit.
4. The power to invest trust property in every kind of property and every kind of investment, including but not limited to bonds, debentures, notes, mortgages, stock options, futures and stocks, and including buying on margin.
5. The power to receive additional property from any source and add it to any trust created by this Declaration of Trust.
6. The power to employ and pay reasonable fees to accountants, lawyers or investment experts for information or advice relating to the trust.
7. The power to deposit and hold trust funds in both interest-bearing and non-interest bearing accounts.
8. The power to deposit funds in bank or other accounts, whether or not they are insured by the FDIC.
9. The power to enter into electronic fund transfers or safe deposit arrangements with financial institutions.
10. The power to continue any business of the grantor.
11. The power to institute or defend legal actions concerning this trust or the grantor's affairs.
12. The power to execute any documents necessary to administer any trust created by this Declaration of Trust.
13. The power to diversify investments, including authority to decide that some or all of the trust property need not produce income.

Part 8. Incapacity of Grantor
If the grantor becomes physically or mentally incapacitated, whether or not a court has declared the grantor incompetent or in need of a conservator or guardian, the successor trustee named in Part 6 shall be trustee.
The determination of the grantor's capacity to manage this trust shall be made by those of the people listed here who are reasonably available when the successor trustee (or any of them, if two or more are named to serve together) requests their opinion. These people are: Three people you trust that can rule if you are crazy or not. If a majority of them state, in writing, that in their opinion the grantor is no longer reasonably capable of serving as trustee, the successor trustee shall serve as trustee.
In that event, the trustee shall manage the trust property. The trustee shall use any amount of trust income or trust property necessary for the grantor's proper health care, support, maintenance, comfort and welfare, in accordance with the grantor's accustomed manner of living. Any income not spent for the benefit of the grantor shall be accumulated and added to the trust property. Income shall be paid to the grantor at least annually. Income accruing in or paid to trust accounts shall be deemed to have been paid to the grantor.
The successor trustee shall manage the trust until the grantor is again able to manage his affairs. The determination of the grantor's capacity to again manage this trust shall be made in the manner specified just above.

Part 9. Death of a Grantor
When the grantor dies, this trust shall become irrevocable. It may not be amended or altered except as provided for by this Declaration of Trust. It may be terminated only by the distributions authorized by this Declaration of Trust.
The trustee may pay out of trust property such amounts as necessary for payment of the grantor's debts, estate taxes and expenses of the grantor's last illness and funeral.

Part 10. Beneficiaries
At the death of the grantor, the trustee shall distribute the trust property as follows:
1. Person who gets your stuff when you dieshall be given all Your name interest in the trust property. If Person who gets your stuff when you die does not survive Your name, that property shall be given to Backup person who gets your stuff when you die.
All distributions are subject to any provision in this Declaration of Trust that creates a child's subtrust or a custodianship under the Uniform Transfers to Minors Act.
A beneficiary must survive the grantor for 120 hours to receive property under this Declaration of Trust. As used in this Declaration of Trust, to survive means to be alive or in existence as an organization.
All personal and real property left through this trust shall pass subject to any encumbrances or liens placed on the property as security for the repayment of a loan or debt.
If property is left to two or more beneficiaries to share, they shall share it equally unless this Declaration of Trust provides otherwise. If any of them does not survive the grantor, the others shall take that beneficiary's share, to share equally, unless this Declaration of Trust provides otherwise.

Part 11. Custodianships Under the Uniform Transfers to Minors Act
1. Any property to which Name of person who gets yor stuff when you die (if under 21) becomes entitled under Part 10 of this Declaration of Trust shall be given to Custodian of trust for those under 21 (I used my wife), as custodian for Name of person who gets your stuff (if under 21) under the Maryland Uniform Transfers to Minors Act, until Name of person who gets your stuff (if under 21) reaches the age of 21. If Custodian of trust for those under 21 (I used my wife) is unable or ceases to serve as custodian, Backup custodian of trust for those under 21 shall serve as custodian.

Part 12. Grantor's Right to Homestead Tax Exemption
If the grantor's principal residence is held in trust, the grantor has the right to possess and occupy it for life, rent-free and without charge except for taxes, insurance, maintenance and related costs and expenses. This right is intended to give the grantor a beneficial interest in the property and to ensure that the grantor does not lose eligibility for a state homestead tax exemption for which he otherwise qualifies.

Part 13. Severability of Clauses
If any provision of this Declaration of Trust is ruled unenforceable, the remaining provisions shall stay in effect.

______________________________page break_______________________________________

Certification of Grantor
I certify that I have read this Declaration of Trust and that it correctly states the terms and conditions under which the trust property is to be held, managed and disposed of by the trustee, and I approve the Declaration of Trust.

_____________________________________Dated: ______________
Your name, Grantor and Trustee

_____________________________page break______________________________________

CERTIFICATE OF ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF NOTARY PUBLIC

State of Maryland )
) ss.
County of )
On ____________________, __________ before me, _____________________, a notary public in and for said state, personally appeared Your name, personally known to me (or proved on the basis of satisfactory evidence) to be the person whose name is subscribed to the within instrument, and acknowledged to me that he executed the same in his authorized capacity, and that by his signature on the instrument the person, or the entity upon behalf of which the person acted, executed the instrument.
WITNESS my hand and official seal.

Notary Public for the State of Maryland
[NOTARIAL SEAL]My commission expires:

_____________________________page break____________________________________

SCHEDULE A

1. Stuff you put in the trust
2. Stuff you put in the trust

_____________________________page break_____________________________________

Assignment of Property

I, Your name, as grantor of the Name of the trust Revocable Living Trust dated ____________________, __________, hereby assign and transfer all of my rights, title and interest in the following property:
1. Stuff you put in the trust
2. Stuff you put in the trust
to Your name, as trustee of the Name of trust Revocable Living Trust dated ____________________, __________.

Executed at ____________________, _______________, on ____________________, __________.

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The OP's link is dead and I cant find anywhere everything I need to setup a trust. Can I just walk into a lawyers office and have them set it up? A member here told me I need form 1's, certification of compliance, and the trust with a declorations page. Where do I get this trust and whats a decloration page?

DIY - why waste $500

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:42:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I would like to respond to Maryland Shooter's post.  The document he attached is not from me nor prepared by me and I would not provide a document as rudimentary as that to any client of mine.  It makes no provisions for NFA assets, nor does it have any verbage to take into account the managment of NFA assets as the federal law applies to them.  Establishing a trust is easy.  Creating one that works during your life and, more importantly, at your death, is an entirely different thing altogether.  I have reviewed many self drafted trust documents over the years and typically find multiple errors in nearly all of them.  I currently have one on my desk right now where the person drafted his own trust and made a critical error that is now, after his death, going to cost the family quite a bit of money and time to gain possesion of the assets.  I had one fellow from this very board contact me a while back on a trust his dealer prepared for him for a nominal fee which left him in violation of federal law and subject to possible criminal prosecution.

You contacted me asking me to provide you, for free, a "template" for a maryland trust.  As I indicated to you in my email in response to your request, every trust we prepare is tailored to our clients individual needs.    I don't know you from adam, and yet you contacted me wanting me to provide you with a free trust.  When I explained that I unfortunately I could not provide you with a free trust, I received your email scolding me for having the nerve to want to charge for my services.  Perhaps you have the luxury of doing whatever it is you do on a pro bono basis, but the rest of us need to be paid for what we do for a living.  I would point out that other attorneys that have recently jumped on the NFA Trust bandwagon generally charge as much or more than I do.  Do you call your accountant a jerk when he charges you for preparing your tax return.  How about the dentist who charges $1000 for a crown that costs him about $50?  No, because you are not paying simply for the cost of materials, but for their expertise in the subject.  Maybe you also go online and complain about dealers who won't sell you a gun for their cost and have the nerve to want to make a profit to feed their kids and pay their rent.

I came up with the concept of the NFA trust several years ago.  A concept that has changed the way that thousands of people across the country deal with NFA items.  I have worked with the NFATCA on Trusts and NFA and spoken at their last two general meetings.  I am also assisting them on the next revision of the NFA handbook published in conjunction with the BATFE.  I have written articles on the subject of NFA Trusts in Small Arms Review Magazine that I have allowed to be posted all over the internet in an effort to provide information to the community.  I answer general questions on the subject on this and numerous other web boards in an effort to assist the community.  In other words I have a certain amount of experience in practicing in this area of law and have done quite a bit to help others in the community.  I did not contact you.  You contacted me, I assume because of my experience in this area.  If you find my services to be more than you are willing to pay for, I would rather you simply say thank you for my responding to your email inquiry and go whatever way you wish rather than to go online and trash me.  

Bob J. Howell, Esq.,FFL/SOT
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey Bob:  here is one reply I sent you!

Dude - for a guy who makes his living talking and writing, you burned up 2 billable hours.  Relax - have the decaf and try to introduce the concept of pro bono into your vocabulary.

Posting a decent template wouldn't kill you.  I didn't ask for a Trust for free - just a template as a guidline.  You'd think I asked you to pick your own pocket.

$500 is way too much - you say not.  I'll do my own.  The post WAS a solicitation and I don't think I said you were a bad person, but now - well, I'm starting to wonder.

The money lawyers charge is obscene IMO.

And yeah - posting 10 times and pushing yourself out there as the NFA Trust expert reeks of solicitation.

How's the weather there?  It's so cold here, I saw a lawyer with his hand in his own pocket,

Now don't go away mad; just go away.

ETA: Bold
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 9:31:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would like to respond to Maryland Shooter's post.  The document he attached is not from me nor prepared by me and I would not provide a document as rudimentary as that to any client of mine.  It makes no provisions for NFA assets, nor does it have any verbage to take into account the managment of NFA assets as the federal law applies to them.  Establishing a trust is easy.  Creating one that works during your life and, more importantly, at your death, is an entirely different thing altogether.  I have reviewed many self drafted trust documents over the years and typically find multiple errors in nearly all of them.  I currently have one on my desk right now where the person drafted his own trust and made a critical error that is now, after his death, going to cost the family quite a bit of money and time to gain possesion of the assets.  I had one fellow from this very board contact me a while back on a trust his dealer prepared for him for a nominal fee which left him in violation of federal law and subject to possible criminal prosecution.

You contacted me asking me to provide you, for free, a "template" for a maryland trust.  As I indicated to you in my email in response to your request, every trust we prepare is tailored to our clients individual needs.    I don't know you from adam, and yet you contacted me wanting me to provide you with a free trust.  When I explained that I unfortunately I could not provide you with a free trust, I received your email scolding me for having the nerve to want to charge for my services.  Perhaps you have the luxury of doing whatever it is you do on a pro bono basis, but the rest of us need to be paid for what we do for a living.  I would point out that other attorneys that have recently jumped on the NFA Trust bandwagon generally charge as much or more than I do.  Do you call your accountant a jerk when he charges you for preparing your tax return.  How about the dentist who charges $1000 for a crown that costs him about $50?  No, because you are not paying simply for the cost of materials, but for their expertise in the subject.  Maybe you also go online and complain about dealers who won't sell you a gun for their cost and have the nerve to want to make a profit to feed their kids and pay their rent.

I came up with the concept of the NFA trust several years ago.  A concept that has changed the way that thousands of people across the country deal with NFA items.  I have worked with the NFATCA on Trusts and NFA and spoken at their last two general meetings.  I am also assisting them on the next revision of the NFA handbook published in conjunction with the BATFE.  I have written articles on the subject of NFA Trusts in Small Arms Review Magazine that I have allowed to be posted all over the internet in an effort to provide information to the community.  I answer general questions on the subject on this and numerous other web boards in an effort to assist the community.  In other words I have a certain amount of experience in practicing in this area of law and have done quite a bit to help others in the community.  I did not contact you.  You contacted me, I assume because of my experience in this area.  If you find my services to be more than you are willing to pay for, I would rather you simply say thank you for my responding to your email inquiry and go whatever way you wish rather than to go online and trash me.  

Bob J. Howell, Esq.,FFL/SOT

Bob - relax man.  You are burning billable hours and also misrepresenting things.  On top of that - you have like 8 spelling errors.

And ease off acting like a working stiff buddy - feed their kids and all that - like $500 an hour is general wages 'round here.

Tell me who, besides lawyers, get $500 an hour for their time and what makes your time worth $500, when another guy makes, say $50?

Info-monoploy!  Being beaten down by the free exchange of information.

Cost to you = ZERO for one lousy template.

Copy/Paste/Disclaimer.

No paper, no materials, nada, nothing, zip, zero, zilch.

If you have done one simple NFA trust, posting it costs you nothing.

Instead of doing that, you burned up twice the time explaining why you are such a great guy and I am cheap.

Ok - let's stipulate - you are a great guy and I am cheap.

Now will you post a template?

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Maryland_Shooter, with all due respect...
Bob Howell is the NFA Trust expert.

And unlike Al Gore and the internet, Bob pretty much did discover that trusts were a viable legal route to NFA ownership.

From the passage of the National Firearms Act in 1934, the CLEO signoff has been the deal-killer for many would-be NFA owners. For more than half a century, CLEOs refused to sign, and the only alternative was setting up a corporation or LLC, with all the cost that entails.

It got so bad that in 1999, Jim Jeffries and Steve Halbrook spent tens of thousands of their own money suing BATF to get the CLEO certification requirement invalidated by a federal court. They lost.

When that law suit failed, a lot of folks just gave up. But Bob Howell (and maybe others, but Bob was the one I heard about first) started examining federal codes to see if there was an alternative. As both an attorney and an FFL/SOT, Bob was able to look at the USC and CFR from both sides, and AFAIK he was the first to recognize that a trust could meet the requirements.

He invested many, many, many hours of his own time researching the law, and developing a trust that would be absolutely bulletproof against BATFE's whims. It turned out so well, Dan Shea of Small Arms Review asked him to write columns about it. He has since given seminars at Knob Creek, primarily for industry types, but again AFAIK he doesn't turn anyone away.

His knowledge of NFA law is so extensive, he is on the committee writing the next revision of The NFA Handbook for BATFE.

IMHO, anyone who got an NFA item through a trust owes Bob a debt. I consider him a valuable resource for this board, and I'm honored that he contributes here.

Edited to add: And BTW, Bob charges $450, not $500. That's ten cents for the paper and $449.90 for the knowledge of how to write it to keep your heirs out of BATFE's way. Ya know, sorta like a $500 suppressor: Ten cents for a piece of tube and some washers, and $499.90 to know how to build it into an effective suppressor.

Seems like Bob has earned the term expert.  Hat's off to him.

Seems like he blazed a trail I am now walking on.  Thanks Bob.

Pardon the error - $450 instead of $500.

All in all, I'll still do mine own though.

Edit: spelling

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By

What a low class ingrate.  I charge a little less than Bob for a trust, but to come on this website and criticize his fees is simply low class behavior.

Sean Cody,
Attorney

ETA:  For the record, the trusts that I prepare for NFA items, and I am sure that the trust that Mr. Howell prepares, are far more extensive than the simple DIY trust that you posted.  I'm not saying that they cannot work, but what if they don;t?  What if you have an issue?  Who are you gonna call?  Ghost Busters?  . . . if there is ever an issue, try calling Willmaker or Quicken and asking them what to do.

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By

What a low class ingrate.  I charge a little less than Bob for a trust, but to come on this website and criticize his fees is simply low class behavior.

Sean Cody,
Attorney

ETA:  For the record, the trusts that I prepare for NFA items, and I am sure that the trust that Mr. Howell prepares, are far more extensive than the simple DIY trust that you posted.  I'm not saying that they cannot work, but what if they don;t?  What if you have an issue?  Who are you gonna call?  Ghost Busters?  . . . if there is ever an issue, try calling Willmaker or Quicken and asking them what to do.

No now, no name calling.  To ask the same fee over and over and over is obscene.  Milking the same damned cow.

You take the same basic document and tailor it to each individual case.  You don't re-invent the wheel or discover fire man - you put words to paper.  There is nothing mythical or magical about the process - except the cost.

What gives a person the right to ask $500 an hour?  THAT is patently OBSCENE.

Look men, if can read, you CAN PRACTICE LAW.  It's not brain surgery, which is why I find it so insane to squeeze $500 out of someone for a 2-4 page document.

Come on men; anyone who can read and has a brain can draft a Will, a Trust or most any other legal document.

All that ho-ha about kids eating and all that is total nonsense.  I have never seen a thin lawyer.

OK - you charge $500, I ain't paying it.  I'll do my own and you can bet it will be as good as it needs to be.  You can also bet, I'll give it away for free.

I chased one guy across three jurisdictions to garnish him for 5K, I can certainly do a Trust.

Look men, we agree to disagree.  There is no way I would want to do what you do, day in and day out.

Sad to wake up everyday thinking in billable hours, rather than how much I can enjoy myself.  Law is fun as a hobby and when you actually need it.  Past that it's a huge pain in the ass.

And Mr. Cody, how kind of you to donate a billable hour to the debate.  Between the two of you, you could have posted a sample 5x over instead of arguing.  But alas, that's what lawyers do, is it not?  Shame you can't bill someone, or then again, maybe you have - eh?

As far as being a low lass ingrate, perhaps you should consult your Webster, as it defines that as: an ungrateful person.

Implicit is that I have something to be ungrateful for, that you have given me something.

In return, I would say that my opinion of you is that of a high-priced crook.

You gentlemen enjoy your day now.

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I abandoned this thread long ago, but haven't yet had the heart to unsubscribe.  It gets in the way sometimes, popping up in my Subscribed Threads, but I tolerate it.

I come back to check it for the first time in months, and find this tempest.....

Let me preface what I'm about to say with this:

"I like you, and generally/usually look forward to reading your posts."

Whether you know or care, I do....

That said, I just wanted to address three points here:
Quoted:
What gives a person the right to ask $500 an hour?  THAT is patently OBSCENE.
Nothing "gives them" that right.  At least to the best of my knowledge, the gov't does not (yet) place a cap on what an attorney may charge for any particular service.

$500 an hour is NOT "expensive" for lawyerly services, depending an a number of factors, such as the market (i.e. what part of the country they are in) and the specialization.  For example, go to Manhattan and find a lawyer specializing in some niche area of law.

Tell them $500 an hour is outrageous.....
No now, no name calling.  To ask the same fee over and over and over is obscene.  Milking the same damned cow.
This part reminds me of an old "joke".  If someone can recall it, please tell or copy/paste it.  It starts out that a company calls in an old-timer out of retirement to fix some cantankerous piece of legacy machinery in the plant.

Someone balks at the "obscene" fee the old-timer charges.....

The punch line then follows that "making the chalk mark" (depending on the exact occupation of the gentleman in whichever version of the joke you're hearing) is "worth" a small percentage of the fee, and the remainder is in "knowing where to put it," or words to that effect.

It's about expertise, not [necessarily] what will work.

For example, would you pay me $715 to conduct a 4-day Tactical Carbine Course?  Would you pay someone else that same "obscene" amount of money for the 'same' course?
<snip>

As far as being a low lass ingrate, perhaps you should consult your Webster, as it defines that as: an ungrateful person.

Implicit is that I have something to be ungrateful for, that you have given me something.

In return, I would say that my opinion of you is that of a high-priced crook.
Perhaps not Sean, but Mr. Howell has given you "the shoulders of giants" on which to stand......

That said, let nothing I said above be misconstrued to state that I think/feel/believe you should not be able to give it away for free.

(i believe that by the same token in fact that i believe Bob & SC-Texas can charge whatever they wish)
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#25]
This thread shouldve went away a long time ago. THere is more mis information in this one thread than arfcom as a whole. oh well. Ive reported it in the past and it still keeps lingering.

The fact is, there are too many unknowns when it comes to TRUSTs and how they should be set up. That is why it should be handled by a lawyer, someone that takes responsibility to the legal matters, not some internet forum.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This thread shouldve went away a long time ago. THere is more mis information in this one thread than arfcom as a whole. oh well. Ive reported it in the past and it still keeps lingering.

The fact is, there are too many unknowns when it comes to TRUSTs and how they should be set up. That is why it should be handled by a lawyer, someone that takes responsibility to the legal matters, not some internet forum.

I can say this - I waded through a lot, but 53 pages was not in the cards.
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 5:45:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just started reading this forum. Why do they always have to end up in flame wars? All of the banter just convinces me to consult a lawyer and that is exactly what I plan to do. Thanks to you legal pros who contributed to this forum.
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just started reading this forum. Why do they always have to end up in flame wars? All of the banter just convinces me to consult a lawyer and that is exactly what I plan to do. Thanks to you legal pros who contributed to this forum.

You have that right.  There is one, or more, in every crowd.  Thank you to the lawyers and the individuals with sound well grounded legal advice.  Reading the thread took a while but paid off.  It also clued me in to which members to ignore.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#29]
input
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#30]
A properly planned and drafted NFA Trust is the best way to acquire and hold NFA items.  It is VITALLY IMPORTANT that the Trust be valid under state law.  People who have attempted to either "do it themselves" or use on-line resources such as LegalZoom  or Quicken have had their weapons confiscated because the trust was invalid.  At BEST, they had to forfeit their weapons.  People who attempt to buy NFA weapons using invalid trusts can face criminal prosecution.

Some folks recommend using a corporation or LLC for NFA items. These forms of organization are primarily meant for businesses.  Although you can acquire NFA weapons in a corporation or LLC without having to obtain the consent of your police chief or first selectman. This is not advisable for several reasons.

Corporate bylaws and LLC operating agreements lack the provisions required to deal with the National Firearms Act. Some information about corporations and LLCs is available to the public. Trust documents are totally private. Corporations and LLCs are required to pay annual fees to the state and to file tax returns. NFA trusts are not subject to these requirements. There are no further administrative costs and fees after you have set up your NFA trust.

Stay safe,

Jeff Crown [ Dilloman ]
Page / 27
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top