Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/29/2015 5:38:33 PM EDT
Please help quick...I ordered from SOG today and just got an email saying they are out of the 7.62x54r and only have 7.62x53r versions. I thought all m39s are the 54r or are these safe with surplus 54r ammo?

EDIT, Got my rifle today 1942 B barrel, non issue after refurb see pics on page 2.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Not the same. There is a 53r as used by the Finns that is 1mm shorter. I believe the 54R surplus is not recommended for use in a 53r rifle. The commercial is somewhat interchangeable because it's closer to a .308 like the 53r.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Well for the past hour I googled and seems that it is okay to shoot 54r in there, especially a m39. I think SOG is closed now, I only got the email at 5:00, I replied I would make a decision in the morning.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow.. never heard of 53r before. I am now hoping mine is 53 too! Maybe more scarce? I like being different and since I reload I am sure I can make it work. but since mine looks like it shipped, maybe not. I ordered quick. Did ad say caliber? Strange I didnt look.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow.. never heard of 53r before. I am now hoping mine is 53 too! Maybe more scarce? I like being different and since I reload I am sure I can make it work. but since mine looks like it shipped, maybe not. I ordered quick. Did ad say caliber? Strange I didnt look.
View Quote

I ordered about 2pm today, got a call(that I missed was busy and VM) then an email. yes it said 7.62x54r on ad. The message said they were out of the 54r and only had the 53r left and if I wanted one of those or not.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I see the website updated to 7.62x53r now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Fiddy three r is a new one in me.  Never heard of it before today.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fiddy three r is a new one in me.  Never heard of it before today.
View Quote

I knew of it, but have never seen one in person.  I ordered one a few days ago and then another today.  The first has already shipped from SOG and is 54r, but I received a call on the other today asking if 53r is alright.  I'm glad I'll be receiving a 53r, just for the weird marking.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#8]
If the Finns used it, it is good shit
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure I would run too much x54 in it....  I haven't spent much time researching.. But Wiki tends to be fairly accurate. I am guessing there will be lots of Gunbroker M39's after the recent sales. Lots of people buy extra and sell what they don't like. I actually bought one more than needed (wanted?) as I forgot I bought one a few months ago from Empire (DOH!!!). Eventually, I will get around to selling the extra one. Still need to decide which it is.. but I haven't gotten to that point yet as these are covered in grease and I am not ready to clean yet.

From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62%C3%9753mmR

The 7.62×53mmR is practically interchangeable with the 7.62×54mmR, the 54R will fit into the smallest allowed chamber size for the 53R, but is nevertheless a different cartridge made to different C.I.P. standards. Using military steel-jacketed 54R Russian ammunition in weapons made for 53R is not recommended (except the M39 and 7.62 TKIV 85 rifles designed to allow safe use of 54R in case of emergency[citation needed]), as it may rapidly wear out the barrel. Even worse, there is a possibility that the resulting pressure from the steel-jacketed larger diameter bullet is too much and firing it may result in severe damage to both the rifle and the shooter. Using the 53R in a gun made for the 54R is however safe, although it may result in accuracy well below the weapon's potential.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not sure I would run too much x54 in it....  I haven't spent much time researching.. But Wiki tends to be fairly accurate. I am guessing there will be lots of Gunbroker M39's after the recent sales. Lots of people buy extra and sell what they don't like. I actually bought one more than needed (wanted?) as I forgot I bought one a few months ago from Empire (DOH!!!). Eventually, I will get around to selling the extra one. Still need to decide which it is.. but I haven't gotten to that point yet as these are covered in grease and I am not ready to clean yet.

The 7.62×53mmR is practically interchangeable with the 7.62×54mmR, the 54R will fit into the smallest allowed chamber size for the 53R, but is nevertheless a different cartridge made to different C.I.P. standards. Using military steel-jacketed 54R Russian ammunition in weapons made for 53R is not recommended (except the M39 and 7.62 TKIV 85 rifles designed to allow safe use of 54R in case of emergency[citation needed]), as it may rapidly wear out the barrel. Even worse, there is a possibility that the resulting pressure from the steel-jacketed larger diameter bullet is too much and firing it may result in severe damage to both the rifle and the shooter. Using the 53R in a gun made for the 54R is however safe, although it may result in accuracy well below the weapon's potential.
View Quote

53r is supposed to use a .308 diameter bullet.  Since I reload, it won't be an issue for me.  I already have a couple of nice m39's, but more is better.  Extra milsurps make great trade bait for later!
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Please help quick...I ordered from SOG today and just got an email saying they are out of the 7.62x54r and only have 7.62x53r versions. I thought all m39s are the 54r or are these safe with surplus 54r ammo?
View Quote

Is SOG selling retail now?  I thought they were wholesale company selling only to FFL dealers only.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is SOG selling retail now?  I thought they were wholesale company selling only to FFL dealers only.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a C&R license which is a form of FFL, I do believe you can order ammo and such non-ffl. You might be thinking of Century Arms.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Bam!!! Sold. I will try one too... ;)

Quoted:

53r is supposed to use a .308 diameter bullet.  Since I reload, it won't be an issue for me.  I already have a couple of nice m39's, but more is better.  Extra milsurps make great trade bait for later!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Much ado over nothing really..
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:59:47 AM EDT
[#15]
If memory severs me right 7.62x45r is safe to use in pretty much any of the M39s. WW2 barrels were produced to support the Russian Type D lead heavy ball ammo, and most if not all the M39s that were produced prior to the change over date had the barrel throat expanded to support the Type D bullets, these will normally have a D marking on the barrel shank.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I was doing some reading and the "7.62x53R" marking is supposedly just a CIP (our equivalent of SAAMI) stamp that is required for sale/export to other European countries. Supposedly in Finland they refer to the round as 53R instead of 54R.

When I look at Lapua (Finnish company) reloading data, they have 53R data but nothing listed for 54R.

http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading

What stood out was that I they use .308 bullets instead of .310 bullets in their data. If the bore is closer to .308, that makes the rifle great for reloading since there are more .308 bullets here in the states to choose from. The Finns did have guns with bores closer to .308 for guns pre-dating the M39, but since it is marked on a M39 then my guess it is still the .310 bore. Only way to find out is to slug the bore when you get one.

In short, my guess is that it is a unique stamp (at least in the US) that was meant for rifles to be exported to other European countries that somehow made it to the US.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#17]
My understanding is that the biggest difference between 53r and 54r is that 53r uses a .308 diameter bullet whereas 54r uses a .311 diameter bullet.

Shooting 54r in a 53r chambered gun is considered unsafe as it can lead to dangerously high pressures.

Earlier Finnish Mosins were chambered in 53r (like the M27, M28, M28/30).

The M39 has a larger bore diameter designed to be able to shoot captured Russian 54r ammo.

Slug your bore if you are unsure. M39's will slug higher (.312-.313 from Youtube videos I have seen), so it is safe to shoot 54r.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 3:35:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Well mine is on order, will try to post some pictures when it comes. I have seen SOG m39s look promising.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well mine is on order, will try to post some pictures when it comes. I have seen SOG m39s look promising.
View Quote

My SOG M39 is on order as well.  I am pretty excited for this one.  I've been checking to see when the charge hits my card but it's still in 'pending' status.  Can't wait to see what I get!
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I have one on order as well and was informed of the 7.62x53r caliber. I was looking for a good shooter when I ordered, but the idea of getting something that might be very unique collector piece caliber wise is kinda exciting too!

Has anyone who has received theirs slugged the bore to check if it is indeed 0.308 in diameter?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Ordered mine a couple days ago.. Normally they send an invoice with shipping charge the next day.. Havent heard a peep. Anyone else?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ordered mine a couple days ago.. Normally they send an invoice with shipping charge the next day.. Havent heard a peep. Anyone else?
View Quote

I didn't receive anything either, but you can pull the invoice and tracking number through your account on their site.  I have one scheduled to be here tomorrow and another on Monday.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I didn't receive anything either, but you can pull the invoice and tracking number through your account on their site.  I have one scheduled to be here tomorrow and another on Monday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the tip!  Just found out mine will be here tomorrow, LOL!
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My order still says "Pending"...

I got my first order of the x54 one today. It looks very nice. There has been stock repair but nothing I would kick out of the safe.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Handpick?  Pics?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice. If you can help take some pictures that'd be great!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:50:59 PM EDT
[#27]
SOG apparently has poor inventory control because I got word that my x53 was cancelled. :(
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
SOG apparently has poor inventory control because I got word that my x53 was cancelled. :(
View Quote

when did you order?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you order while they were still up on their site or did you call it in after they took them down?  Just curious.  Sorry you got cancelled.  I have had that happen and it pisses me off.  You should know how many rifles are in the warehouse and you should keep a couple for replacement issues.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Ups tried to deliver to me today, I had no idea it even shipped. So I missed it and super pissed right now because I was sleeping (3rd shifter) and I know that ups guy didn't even ring the doorbell because it always wakes me up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#31]
mine and plutos both came today, and we just got done taking pics. Mine is a 1940 VKT, mirror bore, looks unissued since refurbishment.. stock tang is professionally repaired by arsenal. Very pleased.

Mine arrived... 1940 VKT

Mine and Plutos (who will be posting shortly)

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#32]
FYI. Just received my rifle from SOG. 1942 B Barrel on a 1901 Tula Reciever. Excellent condition with original handtag.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Just got mine. 1942  B barrel, also marked with a d below it. Unissued stock but still has 2 small repairs. Still super happy. SOG is really trolling Classic by mailing out these gems for the same price as those ones classic is selling off.

Can someone post my pics if I email them?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just got mine. 1942  B barrel, also marked with a d below it. Unissued stock but still has 2 small repairs. Still super happy. SOG is really trolling Classic by mailing out these gems for the same price as those ones classic is selling off.

Can someone post my pics if I email them?
View Quote

i can, shoot me a PM.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#35]
My first arrived a few minutes ago and my second will be here Monday.  My second was supposed to be a 53r, but strangely my first is also labeled as a 53r.  My stock is a replacement and looks new w/o any markings.  The upper handguard appears to be wartime.  The stock and handguard don't come close to matching.  The receiver was originally a 99 Tula and was rebuilt by Sako.  The floorplate numbers do not match, and the buttplate isn't numbered.  The bolt/barrel do match.  The bluing is nearly perfect and there isn't any corrosion under the finish.  The bore will need to be cleaned as it is very dirty, likely the same cosmoline as is all over the rifle.  I am guessing the rifle has been fired very little if ever after the refurb.  I am hoping the rifle on monday is a little more exciting, but this rifle is definitely nice.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My first arrived a few minutes ago and my second will be here Monday.  My second was supposed to be a 53r, but strangely my first is also labeled as a 53r.  My stock is a replacement and looks new w/o any markings.  The upper handguard appears to be wartime.  The stock and handguard don't come close to matching.  The receiver was originally a 99 Tula and was rebuilt by Sako.  The floorplate numbers do not match, and the buttplate isn't numbered.  The bolt/barrel do match.  The bluing is nearly perfect and there isn't any corrosion under the finish.  The bore will need to be cleaned as it is very dirty, likely the same cosmoline as is all over the rifle.  I am guessing the rifle has been fired very little if ever after the refurb.  I am hoping the rifle on monday is a little more exciting, but this rifle is definitely nice.
View Quote

nice, both of ours posted above had grease in the bore.. 2 patches with hoppes cleaned it right out.

Also don't worry about anything matching - only thing that is supposed to match is the bolt. Be mindful of the shims if you disassemble.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Did you order while they were still up on their site or did you call it in after they took them down?  Just curious.  Sorry you got cancelled.  I have had that happen and it pisses me off.  You should know how many rifles are in the warehouse and you should keep a couple for replacement issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Website order.. Tuesday 9pm... The item was still available to be ordered after I ordered. Guessing I wont be only upset customer. Made mistake of ordering a second rifle so shipping would be less per rifle. That one shipped today. I emailed them asking why it shipped alone. They then at least offered to removing matching number and hand pick fees. meh... oh well.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Spax, I replied on the GB thread.  My other two m39's have matching floor plates, so that is why I noted it.  Other than that, this rifle looks nearly new.  These were a MUCH better deal than the Classic rifles.  Heck, these were below what Pat was charging for similar rifles just a month ago.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Spax, I replied on the GB thread.  My other two m39's have matching floor plates, so that is why I noted it.  Other than that, this rifle looks nearly new.  These were a MUCH better deal than the Classic rifles.  Heck, these were below what Pat was charging for similar rifles just a month ago.
View Quote

Yep, they were matched at the arsenal discretion.. usually see matched more with the Sakos.

Like i said on GB's they hit them out of the park. In case folks don't realize.. B barrels are not very common.. they only made 8,000 or so of them (out of 103,000 total). 1940 VKT m39 is even rarer.. try googling for one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Damn. Knew I should've ordered 2! A B would've been nice, too. Nice rifles all around it looks like.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Got mine

" />

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#42]
What's the do's and don'ts of these postwar stocks? They don't seem to have any sealer or finish on them so it seems they would be prone to staining from powder or oils.  I like to spray Rem oil or mystery oil on my metal every few months so I don't have any rust issues, this won't affect the stock in a negative way will it?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What's the do's and don'ts of these postwar stocks? They don't seem to have any sealer or finish on them so it seems they would be prone to staining from powder or oils.  I like to spray Rem oil or mystery oil on my metal every few months so I don't have any rust issues, this won't affect the stock in a negative way will it?
View Quote

they are sealed. Don't touch em with any finishing oil (tung / BLO / etc).  Ballistol Kroil  is fine.

EDIT- DONT USE REM OIL
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

they are sealed. Don't touch em with any finishing oil (tung / BLO / etc).  Rem Oil, Ballistol Kroil  is fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

they are sealed. Don't touch em with any finishing oil (tung / BLO / etc).  Rem Oil, Ballistol Kroil  is fine.

Rem Oil on wood? That is nuts. No no no..

Ballistol is ok. Not any type of gun oil.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

great catch, sorry should have checked. I was under the assumption rem oil was like ballistol (is all i use). Agreed don't use it on WOOD.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

great catch, sorry should have checked. I was under the assumption rem oil was like ballistol (is all i use). Agreed don't use it on WOOD.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I added ballistol to my amazon cart. Too be clear I don't intentionally  spray on wood but it gets on there. I already pull my gun from the stock and sprayed and wiped it down.  So it's good to go. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I added ballistol to my amazon cart. Too be clear I don't intentionally  spray on wood but it gets on there. I already pull my gun from the stock and sprayed and wiped it down.  So it's good to go. Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I am done cleaning my black powder guns (repros and originals), I spray or wipe a lite coat on everything. Doesnt appear to affect finish (or in M39 case maybe that is Finnish). Be careful on Brass as I think it removes tarnish which you dont want to do on old guns). I also use it for all my C&Rs in same fashion. Exterior only.. Bolts and barrel get standard black powder lube or gun oil as appropriate.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#48]
ballistol was an all purpose Gun oil developed by Germany prior to WW1, it was used up until the end of ww2. They wanted an oil that  could be issued to the troops and cover all preservation / maintence concerns for all equipment.

Its safe for everything.. from wood to metal to leather. Its a must have.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
ballistol was an all purpose Gun oil developed by Germany prior to WW1, it was used up until the end of ww2. They wanted an oil that  could be issued to the troops and cover all preservation / maintence concerns for all equipment.

Its safe for everything.. from wood to metal to leather. Its a must have.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#50]
All the m39 hype didn't persuade me to buy one but then SOG got some and were reported to be directly from Finland. It was also advertised as 7.62x43R so that intrigued me into buying one.

I got a unissued since refurb 1941 VKT. Transitional Stock with no marks and just one plug by the rear swivel. Bluing is perfect. Trigger is smooth and crisp, bolt need cycled a few hundred time to smooth it out.

Anywho, I'll let the pics do the talking.

Tang.

Modern CIP Finnish lion proof. Exported from Finland after 2006.

Import mark hidden under barrel.

Serial on receiver hidden under bolt.

Correct serial on receiver but has been lined out.

Transitional stock splice.

Correct front sight 72 as shown on barrel.

Bluing.

Just so happened I received another VKT this week.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top