Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/30/2014 1:54:33 PM EDT
Nearly 100% matching (all matches but the buttplate.. which is a few digits off)

Original factory 1938 Izhevsk 91/30 w/ its orginal finish (this is how they looked like folks).

Enjoy the pictures and post your own favorite 91/30 (no bubba please.. this is the c&r section).

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I recognize one.  Got it for Stopsign I bet. He got burned on that one to the tune of just shy of $400 by getting in bidding was with me thinking it was matching.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#2]
1895 dated ex-Dragoon.  (I need some better shots of it...)

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I recognize one.  Got it for Stopsign I bet. He got burned on that one to the tune of just shy of $400 by getting in bidding was with me thinking it was matching.
View Quote

yea i didn't pay that much for it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#4]
1924 Izhevsk with a "identity crisis".

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Who made the receiver?
View Quote

Looks like Izhevsk.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

God I hope not. At first I couldn't figure out why he showed up at the last minute and kept one upping me past $250, so I figured it must personal and kept him going until I had to bail to not be stuck with it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Looks like Izhevsk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who made the receiver?

Looks like Izhevsk.

While some here may already know this, it's worth pointing out that the markings shown in the photo are actually on the barrel.  Mosin-Nagants were primarily marked on the barrel shank, not on the receiver like most rifles.  The receivers are marked, but the date and manufacturer markings are on the underside of the tang, and the barreled receiver has to be removed from the stock to see it.  

The hidden receiver markings and the more obvious barrel markings don't always match with regard to manufacturer or date.  Older receivers were often rebarreled with newer barrels, as rifles wore out or were damaged, or were converted from the long M91 infantry rifle configuration to shorter M91/30 configuration.  As a result, you will find later dated rifles that are built on earlier dated receivers, often from different manufacturers.  And since it's the receiver that determines whether the firearm is an antique or not, you will see some antique-classified Mosin-Nagants that have 1890s receivers fitted with post-1899 dated barrels, and so at first glance don't appear to fit the criteria for antique firearms.  Also, every so often you'll run across the opposite: a later dated receiver with an earlier dated barrel.  I guess that if the receiver was damaged but the barrel was salvageable, they would reuse the good barrel and that would be the result.  

However, this particular rifle has a matching 1895 Izhevsk receiver.

That's actually only my second oldest Mosin-Nagant.  I have one earlier dated Mosin-Nagant, an Izhevsk 1892.  However, it's a full length M91 infantry rifle, so it doesn't fit in this M91/30 thread.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#9]
No pictures of it but my favorite is a plain jane 1943 Izhevsk Mosin, only reason it is my favorite is because it has a like new bore on it and shoots great compared to my others.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice rifle all the ones I've seen have had that red shellac on them howd you manage to find one without it ?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#11]
The red shellac was applied by the Soviets during the post-WW2 refurbishing process.  Most Mosin-Nagants on the market are these refurbished rifles.  But it's possible to find non-refurbished Mosin-Nagants that have the original oil finish on the stock, and no shellac.  These non-refurbished Mosin-Nagants typically came out of Spain, Finland, and the Balkans.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The red shellac was applied by the Soviets during the post-WW2 refurbishing process.  Most Mosin-Nagants on the market are these refurbished rifles.  But it's possible to find non-refurbished Mosin-Nagants that have the original oil finish on the stock, and no shellac.  These non-refurbished Mosin-Nagants typically came out of Spain, Finland, and the Balkans.
View Quote

Well heck...just added something else to my 'want' list. These threads can be a hazard to your wallet

So that begs the question, could you remove the shellac and get down to what it would have looked like prior to the dipping? or was it brand new stock that was shellacked?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well heck...just added something else to my 'want' list. These threads can be a hazard to your wallet

So that begs the question, could you remove the shellac and get down to what it would have looked like prior to the dipping? or was it brand new stock that was shellacked?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The finish before is shellac; just a different more durable type than the post war lathered on type. Its a common misconception that is an oil based finish; its been discussed in great deal over on gunboards. sadly you can't roll back the clock and remove the post war shellac to reveal the old finish underneath.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:48:28 PM EDT
[#14]
My 1891/30 Hex receiver Mosin Nagant. Dated 1935 from Tula. There is also a Ukrainian refurb stamp on the stock. It was my first C&R buy a few years ago. All numbers matching.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Spax, you're an artist great photo's.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Spax, you're an artist great photo's.
View Quote

Thanks for the kind words.

Glad you enjoyed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Finned 1919 Izhevsk Dragoon with "White Russian" eagles.  

The White Russians captured/controlled Izhevsk for several months in 1919. When they were forced to leave the workers went with them.

To the best of my knowledge nobody has ever found another one like it. I still hold out hope that someday another will pop-up.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The White Russians captured/controlled Izhevsk for several months in 1919. When they were forced to leave the workers went with them.

To the best of my knowledge nobody has ever found another one like it. I still hold out hope that someday another will pop-up.

http://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=391205&d=1295132360

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/download/file.php?id=41876&t=1
View Quote

your top picture link is broken, I really wanted to see the stamps !
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=391205&d=1295132360

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/download/file.php?id=41876&t=1

+1
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#20]

there you go. He was linking to a gunboards attachment.. which you can't see unless you are logged into their servers.

As for the rifle; agreed 1919 of any sort is rare as hens-teeth do to the social political climate at the time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#21]
My two favorite 91/30s

I'd be hard-pressed to chose one of these two. Besides, I only have pictures of them together available to me at the moment.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The finish before is shellac; just a different more durable type than the post war lathered on type. Its a common misconception that is an oil based finish; its been discussed in great deal over on gunboards. sadly you can't roll back the clock and remove the post war shellac to reveal the old finish underneath.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pre-war was actually a reddish tinted varnish, but it definitely wasn't shellac. The wartime finish for rifles is still a bit unknown however.  It may have been shellac or it may have been just a light oil finish and the pre-war finish may have still been used at times for certain rifles. Original matching 1943 Izhevsk m91/30's are by far the most common original matching Mosins that aren't Finn'ed, but they are almost all import marked and who knows what happened to them since WW2. Their metal finishes definitely are original, but their stocks are all shellacked. Is it the original finish or was it slopped on over unfinished or originally just oiled stocks at a later date? Who knows.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:03:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Pre-war was actually a reddish tinted varnish, but it definitely wasn't shellac. The wartime finish for rifles is still a bit unknown however.  It may have been shellac or it may have been just a light oil finish and the pre-war finish may have still been used at times for certain rifles. Original matching 1943 Izhevsk m91/30's are by far the most common original matching Mosins that aren't Finn'ed, but they are almost all import marked and who knows what happened to them since WW2. Their metal finishes definitely are original, but their stocks are all shellacked. Is it the original finish or was it slopped on over unfinished or originally just oiled stocks at a later date? Who knows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am of the opinion that there may have been no finish at all on '42 and '43 Izhevsk rifles. I have half a dozen original matching '43s, all are currently shellac'd except one which has a tar like finish. Under the shellac there is no sanding, and also no old finish either.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#24]
It must be my favorite 91/30 because it's the only one I kept when I started in on Finn Mosins.

'41 made Izhevsk before they started all of the pragmatic changes to make them faster to make.

Sadly marred by the CAI billboard...

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I am of the opinion that there may have been no finish at all on '42 and '43 Izhevsk rifles. I have half a dozen original matching '43s, all are currently shellac'd except one which has a tar like finish. Under the shellac there is no sanding, and also no old finish either.
View Quote

I'm pretty torn on the wartime shellac "issue." The fact that there aren't really any likely bring back examples from this era to speak of is a little frustrating. It also doesn't help that there were so many little design changes in the ways things looked throughout that period of production which makes nailing down some of the possible consistencies a bit more difficult given a small sample size. I can see the shellac having been put on at a later time considering the context of the rifles manufacture and storage, but I don't find much any evidence on the rifles themselves of the few that I've handled that the shellac wasn't necessarily done at the factory. All of the rifles had excellent condition metal finishes and pretty much looked unused and had shellac. I'd love to someday gather together a number of these original matching examples and go over them in detail with some other experienced collectors in person. If any documentation came out of Russia about the standards M91/30's were made to during WWII it would be ideal, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen, lol.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I am really jealous of the beautiful old Mosins in this thread. I can't wait to expand my collection into older Mosins.

I have a 1938 that was not in the greatest shape. I refinished it with boiled linseed oil but it's nothing to take pictures of. It's my favorite 91/30.

I'm re-doing my 1943 right now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I am really jealous of the beautiful old Mosins in this thread. I can't wait to expand my collection into older Mosins.

I have a 1938 that was not in the greatest shape. I refinished it with boiled linseed oil but it's nothing to take pictures of. It's my favorite 91/30.

View Quote

Please don't. I'd hate for some nicer ones to be permanently bubbaed with BLO.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to buy some nice old ones that don't need refinished......but refinishing a very beat up mosin with blo is bubba. Right.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I want to buy some nice old ones that don't need refinished......but refinishing a very beat up mosin with blo is bubba. Right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right. Once you put it on you can't take it off. Permanent modification.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm pretty torn on the wartime shellac "issue." The fact that there aren't really any likely bring back examples from this era to speak of is a little frustrating. It also doesn't help that there were so many little design changes in the ways things looked throughout that period of production which makes nailing down some of the possible consistencies a bit more difficult given a small sample size. I can see the shellac having been put on at a later time considering the context of the rifles manufacture and storage, but I don't find much any evidence on the rifles themselves of the few that I've handled that the shellac wasn't necessarily done at the factory. All of the rifles had excellent condition metal finishes and pretty much looked unused and had shellac. I'd love to someday gather together a number of these original matching examples and go over them in detail with some other experienced collectors in person. If any documentation came out of Russia about the standards M91/30's were made to during WWII it would be ideal, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen, lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 1943 looked unissued and it had shellac, but I cannot say it didn't happen in the rearsenal process. The shellac was flaking off everytime it got hot. My 1938 had shellac too. Very thin but definitely there.

Is there a time line on the various finishes?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a stock that bleeds cosmoline every time I shoot it? I screwed it up?

I have done two scout mosins. Both times I chose a crappy war time mosin with shitty machining and crappy stocks and passed on much older hex receivers because i respected the collector value of them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:01:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  On a stock that bleeds cosmoline every time I shoot it? I screwed it up?

I have done two scout mosins. Both times I chose a crappy war time mosin with shitty machining and crappy stocks and passed on much older hex receivers because i respected the collector value of them.
View Quote

This is the C&R forum.  The 1968 GCA created a privileged class of gun owner who denigrates using the wrong size screwdriver.  The first step is to divide us.  The liberals are succeeding.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice clean Finn captured transitional m91/30

1916 Tula receiver. Restamped 1931 with a 1932 Izhevsk barrel. The mark on top of the tang indicates it was rebarreled in 1920.

I do have the correct Panshin bayonet for it.
[/
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My 1943 looked unissued and it had shellac, but I cannot say it didn't happen in the rearsenal process. The shellac was flaking off everytime it got hot. My 1938 had shellac too. Very thin but definitely there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. 99%+ chance both of your rifles were refurbs and thus aren't pertinent to this particular discussion thankfully. If they were non-refurbished examples then that would make you an incompetent moron of epic proportions who destroyed one of the few surviving examples of Soviet WWII rifles in period configuration left in existence. But thankfully, I highly doubt that is the case as rifles pertinent to the original finish discussion are rare and i highly doubt you got your hands on one of them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't think you have any idea how  to spot what is and isn't a collectible Mosin. Please refrain from your bubba activities. There are plenty of rare wartime variations of Mosins with "shitty machining" and "crappy stocks" that would be a terrible shame to lose to your hands.

Quoted:
Quoted:  On a stock that bleeds cosmoline every time I shoot it? I screwed it up?

This is the C&R forum.  The 1968 GCA created a privileged class of gun owner who denigrates using the wrong size screwdriver.  The first step is to divide us.  The liberals are succeeding.

Bubbas have a lot in common with anti-gunners. Both actively seek out and purposefully destroy historical relics. The GCA of 1968 has nothing to do with it. You're making it sound like collectors are the tools of anti-gunners or even are anti-gunners. If so, you have no idea what you're talking about in the slightest.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't think you have any idea how  to spot what is and isn't a collectible Mosin. Please refrain from your bubba activities. There are plenty of rare wartime variations of Mosins with "shitty machining" and "crappy stocks" that would be a terrible shame to lose to your hands.

Bubbas have a lot in common with anti-gunners. Both actively seek out and purposefully destroy historical relics. The GCA of 1968 has nothing to do with it. You're making it sound like collectors are the tools of anti-gunners or even are anti-gunners. If so, you have no idea what you're talking about in the slightest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

So I might have bought a rare variation for $69 and I might have destroyed the last one.

You better but them all up before I decide to do another project.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's his rifle, not mine. I don't give a shit what he does with it.

However, this is the C&R forum. Don't expect to brag about stripping finishes and reapplying new ones right in our faces and then not get ridiculed for it. Every time this comes up it's the same old crowd that gets butthurt and cries foul because they aren't getting praised for their "custom refinished" bubba jobs. It's getting old.

Yeah, good one.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

However, this is the C&R forum. Don't expect to brag about stripping finishes and reapplying new ones right in our faces and then not get ridiculed for it. Every time this comes up it's the same old crowd that gets butthurt and cries foul because they aren't getting praised for their "custom refinished" bubba jobs. It's getting old.

Yeah, good one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, good one.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yeah, good one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, good one.

I refinished a $69 rifle with the finish flaking off of it and you are upset with me.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Getting back to the OP's request, today's gun show find, 1939 finn'd Izhevsk. Finnish 2 piece stock, with sling hangers. SA marked, Bolt and receiver match, floor plate and magazine is from a pre-'28 tula rifle. Butt plate is scrubbed tula, and has a faint serial stamped on the rear instead of the top.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Getting back to the OP's request, today's gun show find, 1939 finn'd Izhevsk. Finnish 2 piece stock, with sling hangers. SA marked, Bolt and receiver match, floor plate and magazine is from a pre-'28 tula rifle. Butt plate is scrubbed tula, and has a faint serial stamped on the rear instead of the top.

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/aksahsalahs/saMOSIN2_zpse3319b1e.png

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/aksahsalahs/saMOSIN_zps9bbba4b5.png
View Quote

Beautiful
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Another of my recent purchases. Finn captured 1936 m91/30.

initials scratched into the stock sometime before the Finns refurbed it.

Like all Finns, made of whatever parts are available, This one has an old Chatellerault bolt.

The craftsmanship of the Finns show here.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#43]
It's refreshing to see some great looking mosin rifles. As far as I can tell in my short time collecting milsurps the mosin is the most butchered. I don't think there is a day that goes buy that I don't see the many versions they come in on social media and Internet.

I have a regular dime a dozen Tula round receiver, I'd love to add one to my collection like you guys have posted.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's refreshing to see some great looking mosin rifles. As far as I can tell in my short time collecting milsurps the mosin is the most butchered. I don't think there is a day that goes buy that I don't see the many versions they come in on social media and Internet.

I have a regular dime a dozen Tula round receiver, I'd love to add one to my collection like you guys have posted.
View Quote

I wouldn't modify any of these beautiful mosins. I wish I could afford some of the more desirable versions.  I want to have a finn someday.

I shoot every gun I own.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't have any nice pics, spent more on guns than cameras.

28/30

91/30 Sniper

M28

M27

Just a few of my favorites.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/aksahsalahs/saMOSIN2_zpse3319b1e.png

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/aksahsalahs/saMOSIN_zps9bbba4b5.png
View Quote

Man that's nice

I need to get some better pics. Here's a favorite of mine. '36 Tula SCW.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don't have any nice pics, spent more on guns than cameras.

View Quote

FYI - i am using optics from the 1990s...

A tip - lighting is 75% of it, the other %s  = 25% composition 5% of having what you want to capture in focus.

Taken with a Going on 10 year old Nikon D80 Camera: (can be had all day for less than a refurb 91/30 and most point and shoots - check ebay)

Basically.. if you have any idea what the hell you are doing/willing to learn - you can get good/great shots with the most modest equipment - you don't need the best / most expensive equipment.

Its easy as 1,2,3

91/30 thread.. opps

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I refinished a $69 rifle with the finish flaking off of it and you are upset with me.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/firearms/20141003_162206_zpsxutjtgdh.jpg
View Quote

Just because YOU bought it for cheap doesn't mean it might not be a mislabeled rifle being horribly undersold.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:55:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Just because YOU bought it for cheap doesn't mean it might not be a mislabeled rifle being horribly undersold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/firearms/20141003_162206_zpsxutjtgdh.jpg

Had one with that type of cracked shellac.. i kept it as it was.. and it looked great (sold rifle)

Some folks just have to have an excuse to justify a refinish of a rifle..

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Had one with that type of cracked shellac.. i kept it as it was.. and it looked great (sold rifle)

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8348/8185833632_48979f5bb2_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8483/8185793357_6cd5f79a95_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8350/8185793175_c859117a2f_b.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8348/8185833632_48979f5bb2_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8483/8185793357_6cd5f79a95_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8350/8185793175_c859117a2f_b.jpg

How often did you shoot that one and how many hundreds of rounds did you put through it? Why did you sell it?

I buy rifles to shoot, not collect.  I'll never sell my 1943 as it was my first.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top