Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2014 8:19:23 PM EDT
Found a like new Mossberg Plinkster at my LGS. Asking price is right at $100.  I have no familiarity with this particular rifle and am curious as to overall reliability and value as I am looking to add a reasonably low cost, yet reliable .22 rifle to the armory.

Is $100 for a used rifle about right or over priced?

Is this a decent .22? Action and magazines decently reliable?

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Wal-Mart sells them new for $107, on Black Fri last year I picked one up for less than $90 OTD.

I have had 4 of them, still own 2. They are decent rifles for the money, reliable, accurate, lightweight, etc.  I do worry about long term parts, as the rifle is made in Brazil, and Mossberg is the second importer now. Magtech model 7022 was the same rifle, but different importer.

I would pick up a Marlin 795 for just a little more and have a better rifle, in fact the 702 was designed after the Marlin 70, the 795's older brother.

To me the 702 is a disposable rifle, sure it is all metal, but it is cheap cast pot metal with sharp edges and rough surfaces. It takes a plastic/rubber recoil buffer and where are you going to find one 10years from now?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one that some pos stole from my house.  It was a pretty good gun but I abused it lol. Took a chick shooting one day and she broke the firing pin. Probably my fault but it was a decent gun for less than $100
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked one up last year for about 100 bucks or so new. It shoots surprisingly well, in spite of having a fairly long and creepy trigger. The magazines seem kind of tinny, but they work. Darn thing can shoot one-hole groups at 50 yards with a little effort.

For the money, it really is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Appreciate the replies. Seems the consensus is it's pretty decent for the money but new can be had for close to the asking price of this used one. I may also take a look at a few others as suggested.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:27:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Several 22s in my harem: ruger, marlin, win, savage.
The plinkster is my go to for yard targets.
Handy, accurate, lightweight and cheap enough to not care.
Got 2 at Dicks about 10 yrs ago for $88/ea.
I've never cleaned it (maybe a drop of oil now and then) and it has fed everything put into it.

I would advise grabbing one if you are happy with the price.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the bolt plinkster (802?) and it is dead nuts accurate. Sloppy as all hell bolt and can be stiff, but I would never sell it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top