Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2009 9:34:44 PM EDT
I've tried to do some research on the Remington Five .22lr rifle, but have not had much results.

I  know that it is an import, and have been previously been under the wings of other companies.  

Does anyone have one?  Any issues?  Do you like the rifle/what are your criticisms?  The only issue that I am aware of is that the mag capacity is limited to five, and the availability of mag is kind of sketchy.  Remington is discontinuing the modle Five, so later down the road, there may not be any parts or service available should I need it.

I don't need another .22lr bolt action, but I've spotted a good deal on one and it just seems that I can't pass it up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#1]
If they are going to discontinue it and parts are going to be harder to find, then I would pass. I like having firearms that I can get new parts anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one. Nice stock, decent trigger.  Trigger is adjustable after you get the goo off of the adjustment screws.

Big downside is the rear sight blade is crap and not really adjustable.  It's more of an afterthought/backup than a proper rear leaf.
not a big deal if you plan to scope it, but I really wanted an iron sighted bolt gun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#3]
beautiful shooter. I have one(I overpaid, but had been looking for one for about 3 years). I put a Bushnell 4-12 X50 scope on it and have shot dime sized groups at 50-60 yards using Winchester bulk ammo(Winchester Xpert HV). Federal bulk shoots almost as nicely, and interestingly enough CCI Green Tag match ammo shoots groups twice as big. Still nice groups but for $15/100 I was disappointed. With a 50 yard zero using the above bulk rounds, it shoots point of aim at 100 yards if I switch to CCI Stingers. The only issue I have is the extractors hold TIGHTLY-you have to snap the bolt back a bit harder than some rifles to eject the empty case. I know, a 4-12 power scope is overkill on a rimfire, but I got a good price on the scope and wanted to use it.

Edit to add-OP-if you didn't get the flyer the Praieie Du Chien Cabelas is having a 4 hour sale on Saturday, they are selling model 5's for $189. Next cheapest I have seen one was $230.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Edit to add-OP-if you didn't get the flyer the Praieie Du Chien Cabelas is having a 4 hour sale on Saturday, they are selling model 5's for $189. Next cheapest I have seen one was $230.

Yep....thats where I plan to be at 8:00am this Sat.  Got me some discount coupons, club points and other goodies that should bring the price of the rifle to less than $100 .  Well, like I've always said to my friends when they can't make up their mind "buy it, shoot it and if you dont like it, you can sell it later."  I think I'm going to follow my own advice this time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, if you decide you don't like it shoot me a PM. I could use another one and will be duck hunting during the sale. I'd possibly give you your money back for it.

I don't think that will be an issue though-it's a great rifle and one of the few "adult sized" rimfires out there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Get there before they open.  Last time the Phoenix Cabelas had these on sale they had 53 of them in stock and sold out within the 1st half hour.  I waited 45 minutes in line to be told that they had already sold out.

I wrote them a nasty e-mail about the piss-poor way they ran the gun counter, and the manager offered to get me the next one off the truck at the sale price.

edit for pic:
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Shack357 - if I don't like it, then you will get first dibs

NVGdude- thanks for the heads up.  Although this particular Cabela's is kind of out of the way and usually doesn't have that much customer traffic, I know I will be there early.  BEAUTIFUL gun you got there

I'll post an update if I do pick one up, and a range report if I have time
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#8]
not bad at all for the price.

WAYYY better than the other import .22 being sold under a classic name, the Winchester "wildcat"

I know i'll sound like a broken record on this subforum, but i'd recommend either a used Marlin or saving a few bills more for a CZ.  Was talking to a guy at the range Sunday who paid $160 for a used, but practically new CZ military trainer.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I know i'll sound like a broken record on this subforum, but i'd recommend either a used Marlin or saving a few bills more for a CZ.  Was talking to a guy at the range Sunday who paid $160 for a used, but practically new CZ military trainer.  

I'd buy a CZ trainer sight unseen any day of the week for $160.  However, when you take into account Cabela's 4-hour sale price (which they have done repeatedly) the CZ rifles are twice the cost of the Rem model Five.  I agree it's a nicer rifle, I don't agreed that it is twice as nice.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

WAYYY better than the other import .22 being sold under a classic name, the Winchester "wildcat"

What is so bad about the wildcat? The TOZ 78s they are based on are known to be very accurate rifles.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd buy a CZ trainer sight unseen any day of the week for $160.  However, when you take into account Cabela's 4-hour sale price (which they have done repeatedly) the CZ rifles are twice the cost of the Rem model Five.  I agree it's a nicer rifle, I don't agreed that it is twice as nice.

I agree.  Have fun!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is so bad about the wildcat? The TOZ 78s they are based on are known to be very accurate rifles.

I agree that they are accurate.  

They are just not a winchester.

Too much plastic, too much russia.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Speaking of plastic, there are only two plastic components on the Model Five.   The butplate, and the grip cap.  Everything else is steel or wood, including the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I was contemplating if I should get the Winchester Wildcat too....but the Remington 5 deal seems much nicer.  I haven't seen any Remington 5 in my local fun shops to finger fu*k, but I've finger f*ck many Winchester Wildcats.

I too would buy a CZ for $160 without hesistant or guilt.

I forgot to ask in my original post - are the iron sights usable?  I do plan on scoping the gun, but not just yet.  I like the elegant lines of the Remington 5, and like the challenge of using irons
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I forgot to ask in my original post - are the iron sights usable?  I do plan on scoping the gun, but not just yet.  I like the elegant lines of the Remington 5, and like the challenge of using irons

usable yes, good no.  The rear leaf is a flat blade that is held in with 2 screws.  It is not click adjustable.  You have to loosen the screws and slide the leaf up or down to adjust.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

usable yes, good no.  The rear leaf is a flat blade that is held in with 2 screws.  It is not click adjustable.  You have to loosen the screws and slide the leaf up or down to adjust.

YEP!!!! that is correct.

I did pick up a Cabela's 4-hour sale Remington 5 this weekend (it was more like a 30 second sale, as the rifles were gone w/in the first 30 seconds, as this Cabela's only had 15 or so rifle on hand and there were more than 40 people waiting outside when the doors opened; a lot of disappointed guys didn't get the rifle)- and that was my observation bout the sights too.  It would be ok to use, if the scope goes FUBR.  My biggest gripe about the sight system is that it is not click adjustable.  The adjustment markings are not that well defined either.

I was able to shoot about 2 mags worth w/ irons this weekend.  I was using the Wallly World 550 Federal value packs.  I was able to cover all shots with a quarter at 25 yards.  No FTE or FTF.  I fired these two mags within 30min of me purchasing the gun.  No wipe down, no cleaning.  Just inserted the bolt (still covered from grease from the factory) into the gun (which also had grease in the chamber too).

I'm sure that after a good cleaning and with ammo it likes and a scope, it will be a real tack driver.  I did take the gun apart and noticed the red locktite applied to the trigger adjustment screws.  

Only thing that I didn't like on the gun is the magazines and the mag release.  it is a button that is right behind the mag.  One needs to push the button in to insert the mag, and one also needs to push the button to be able to release the mag.  Inserting the mag can be frustrating too, as it needs to be at the correct angle, or else it would not go in.  Can't just slap the mag in.

One question - how do I remove the red gunk (is this the kind where all I need to do is heat it and it will run off)?  Pic to follow.........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top