Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2009 1:00:48 PM EDT
What upgrades do you recommend for the 10/22 ?

I want to change out the stock and install a better barrel, but what else will make this a better shooting rifle ?

I want this to shooting nice groups at 100 yards, but I want to know how much I have to spend

I'm a 10/22 noob so I don't understand a lot of the terms and parts that go in this rifle.
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Tactical Solutions threaded barrel which is fluted/light/accurate/and kicks ass

I added a hogue rubber overmolded stock as well. Those are my first 2 items.

Link Posted: 4/2/2009 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Oasis fully suppressed barrel!
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't believe that this thread went 5 posts before someone said, Trigger. A vols trigger and sear will do the most for accuracy and is cheaper than a bbl.

ETA: Power custom and a few others make trigger kits, 40-60 bucks. I only have experiance with the VQ though.

A friend let me shoot his with a Kidd trigger, you can fall in love with them real easy and divorce them when you find out they are $300.
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Ammo.  Several kinds to determine what it likes then shoot the hell out of it.

After you start shooting it you'll know what it needs and what you don't want.
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can't believe that this thread went 5 posts before someone said, Trigger. A vols trigger and sear will do the most for accuracy and is cheaper than a bbl.

this.

I'm running a KiD trigger and it is spendy but slick as snail snot.

-Mark.

Link Posted: 4/2/2009 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Trigger? Sorry, I'm still waiting on my Form 4 for the suppressed barrel (with the rifle attached)...
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#9]
A Power Custom hammer, a Wolff spring kit, a match bbl. from a quality maker, a Hogue stock, a decent bipod (the Shooters Ridge from Midway or Wally world works good), a Mueller APV scope, plenty of factory mags and a case of ammo.
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Auto bolt release or mod your stock one to do it.

Extended mag release unless you have a new 1022 that came with one.

VQ target hammer unless you want to spend bigger bucks or want to try modding your stock trigger parts.

Bolt buffer. I don't know what exactly they do but for a few bucks its probably worth it for the noise reduction.

Those are the things I think need to be done to any 1022.
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#11]
A bolt buffer, magazines, and a sling are my 10/22 essentials.
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I am building a 10/22 LTR.

I started with a bone stock $199 10/22 special.

I added the following:

Tech-sights
VQ auto bolt release
VQ extractor
VQ HP action kit (bolt buffer, trigger, sear, disconnector, hammer, springs, etc)
1 1/4" sling swivels

I don't really see the necessity of an aftermarket barrel.
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Trigger? Sorry, I'm still waiting on my Form 4 for the suppressed barrel (with the rifle attached)...

Yes trigger.  

Although not as cool as a integeral suppressor, I'm already runin' an SWR Warlock.  

If you want to hit what you're shootin' at, a great trigger goes a long way.

A bolt buffer is a great thing too.

-Mark.

Link Posted: 4/2/2009 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll try out the hammer and sear upgrade first before the barrel as it seems the trigger does a good job of improving accuracy.  I'm assuming the accuracy improvement is because the stock trigger has a long and hard trigger pull ?  and the new hammer and sear will improve that ?

What other options are there besides the volquartsen target hammer & target sear ?

+1 on the hogue stock, i'm going to be ordering one of those soon
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#15]
power customs  Hammer & Sear Pack

+1 for the hogue stock    mine is ghillie camo, SWEET
Link Posted: 4/3/2009 5:51:57 AM EDT
[#16]
A bolt buffer, Volquartsen extractor & auto bolt release modification to start.
Link Posted: 4/3/2009 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't see a reason for the auto bolt release cause I never have the bolt opened in the first place
bolt buffer will be on my list as well since everybody has been recommending it and it looks like it makes the rifle quieter

but what will the extractor improve ?  VQ says it will keeps its edge and will not 'roll over' like the stock extractor, do I have that correct ?

Quoted:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i13/benjiotto/G%20n%20A/HammerSear.jpg

that sounds good right there.  and the the extra $13 I can get an adjustable trigger, is that worth it or will the stock trigger be good enough ?
also is that the same (or very similar) to the VQ target hammer, target sear, and their adjustable trigger ?
Link Posted: 4/3/2009 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#18]
The VQ setup I have is different than the stock setup.  The trigger spring is totally reconfigured.
Link Posted: 4/3/2009 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see a reason for the auto bolt release cause I never have the bolt opened in the first place
bolt buffer will be on my list as well since everybody has been recommending it and it looks like it makes the rifle quieter

but what will the extractor improve ?  VQ says it will keeps its edge and will not 'roll over' like the stock extractor, do I have that correct ?

Quoted:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i13/benjiotto/G%20n%20A/HammerSear.jpg

that sounds good right there.  and the the extra $13 I can get an adjustable trigger, is that worth it or will the stock trigger be good enough ?
also is that the same (or very similar) to the VQ target hammer, target sear, and their adjustable trigger ?

The auto bolt release is a 5 minute modification even if you do it with a file,if you don't need it don't do it. It sure is handy at the range when the RO does his safety check. The VQ extractor is made to a tighter tolerance than the factory one & it'll eliminate stovepipes. It's also better at extracting live rounds from Bentz chambers than a factory extractor.

Link Posted: 4/3/2009 12:03:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I did a trigger job on mine back before Volquartsen was around, same sear geometry (hah!).  Good aftermarket stock and barrel are nice (I went with a B & C thumbhole w/Butler Creek comped carbon fiber bbl).  Put your choice of good sights on it, and take it to the range with a bunch of different ammo to see if it has a preference.  I won't get into mags.  That's a whole 'nother thread right there.  Beware the pursuit of the 'ultimate 10/22'!   There's some range members that have about a grand in their guns.  I don't think they have a single Ruger part in them, btw.
Link Posted: 4/3/2009 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Timney trigger and whatever else you desire

Link Posted: 4/3/2009 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#22]
trigger, bolt, hammer, at least a 12x scope.
mueller APV 4.5-14 for $115
rimfirecentral.com is awesome by the way
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 7:28:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Go to this link

Do a trigger job on the stock fire control group.  I just got done doing it to 3 rifles.

Disassembly of 10/22 FCG

Areas to be polished on the 10/22 fire control group

Hammer engagement modification

On two of my rifles I polished the fire control groups and replaced the hammer with a Power Custom hammer which is recommended at Rimfire Central.  On the last rifle I just polished the areas on the stock FCG using the pictures in the link above.  I can't tell them apart but all three fire control groups are improved.

By doing the polishing on the stock setup the cost is $0.00.  I used a dremel with a rubber abrasive wheel and then finished off with a cotton wheel and rubbing compound followed by polishing compound.  Took me about a half and hour.  For the trigger plunger as shown on the pictures in the link above, I chocked the plunger in my drill press, turned it on and contoured the pin with a file as it spun.  Then smoothed it out by switching to some fine abrasive paper and then a bit of rubbing compound on a rag.  Guy who did the tutorial charges $90.00 to do it for you but you can save the cash and do it yourself.

One of my rifles I changed the barrel out to a Shaw heavy blued barrel ($85.00) from gunkings.com and installed the rifle in a Boyds stock I got on ebay for about $63.00 shipped from a guy that sells a bunch of Boyds stock.  I got a Evolution stock from him and a Barracuda.  The stocks are unfinished but part of the fun is sanding and finishing the stocks with Tru-Oil.

You can do the auto bolt release modification yourself.  I bought two of them but the self modification is free and I did it on one of my rifles.

auto bolt release modification

An extended mag release is a must have and is a simple install.

I found that MidwayUSA has lots of parts and I have got a number of them there.

Another place is Gunkings.com which has a good amount of 10/22 parts.  I bought a Shaw barrel and a Green Mountain barrel/Hogue stock combo from them along with an assortment of small parts.  jjking is a member and Dealer here on the site.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#24]
A lot of good information above.  rimfirecentral.com is great.  If you're handy with projects, look at their modifications.
The Ruger 10/22 in the Hardwoods Camo is very nice btw.  
The Ruger barrels are pretty good; the chambers are a bit loose and the barrel can stand to be recrowned sometimes.  

imho;
Bare minimum:
Power Custom Hammer Kit (optional upgrade; with the sear)  
If it’s a new 10/22 then you’ll need two Ruger B-43 hammer bushings (from Clark Custom in LA)
Tuffer Buffer (fine emery cloth smooth out any sharp edges off the back of the bolt at this time also)
The new 10/22s have a decent useable extended mag release now
For a minimum of effort; polish the parts you are comfortable working with (rimfirecentral.com); hammer/trigger/sear engaging surfaces only if you are confident and know what you're doing
Extra 10/22 magazines (I like 5 minimum; to hold a full box of cartridges)  

A little nicer:
Volquartsen EDM extractor and upgraded spring (not necessary but increases reliability; I've only seen one  broke OEM extractor in 30 years)  
Ruger B-99 aluminum trigger housing assembly $35 (from Clark Custom in LA) (not necessary; but if you like aluminum better than plastic)
                       complete with B-20 alum. trigger & B-34 alum. mag latch (old style; it is not an extended latch)

Volquartsen auto bolt release or do the modification yourself
Pillar bed near the receiver screw if on a wood stock; rimfirecentral.com bedding recommendations if it's not shooting great

To get to where I think you want to be:
options:
1)
Send your bolt to Randy at CPC for his 10/22 bolt combo @ $50
2) Send your bolt and barrel to Randy at CPC for his 10/22 bolt combo & barrel setback (he recuts & polishes the chamber) and recrowns @ $149 or Clark Custom  
3) Send your bolt and barrel to Nemohunter from rimfirecentral.com for his 10/22 bolt combo & barrel setback (he recuts & polishes the chamber) and recrowns  $??? reasonable
at this point you'll have a much above average 10/22

Additional extra options:
Your choice of stocks.  for a Hogue stock- try Natchez Shooters Supply
Rebarrel with a Green Mountain barrel or other if it's not shooting like you want (Gunkings, Shooters Discount, etc)
Decent scope mount, rings, quality scope; optional  (learn to shoot iron sights first!)
The sky is the limit when modifying 10/22s (all you'll have left of the original 10/22 will be the receiver and maybe the bolt; don't ask me how I know ).
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#25]
The ARFCOM 10/22 essentials are as follows:

Wallet & finger (or thumb for bumpin)
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I added the following:

Tech-sights
VQ auto bolt release
VQ extractor
VQ HP action kit (bolt buffer, trigger, sear, disconnector, hammer, springs, etc)
1 1/4" sling swivels

Only thing I like aftermarket bbl for is the weight. Adds stability when shooting offhand

Link Posted: 4/4/2009 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#27]
full auto sear, definitely get one.

Link Posted: 4/4/2009 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#28]
thanks for all those links

i'll take a better look at them later, but I dunno if I trust myself with a dremel

I just placed an order for a couple TI mags though, i'm excited for that.  next order will be some trigger upgrades cause those DIY mods might not work haha
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

i'll take a better look at them later, but I dunno if I trust myself with a dremel

I just placed an order for a couple TI mags though, i'm excited for that.  next order will be some trigger upgrades cause those DIY mods might not work haha

Yeah,  they aren't going to work, that is why so many of us that have used them have rifles that don't fire

Link Posted: 4/4/2009 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Or replace the hammer with a Power Custom hammer.  It's the only mechanical mod I made to my standard 10/22 carbine and dropped the horrendous factory trigger down to about 3 lbs.  The only other thing I've done was to mount a Nikon 4x32mm Prostaff scope.  It will group under a quarter at 50 yards with CCI Subsonic HPs.

To the OP: Before sinking all sorts of money into a 10/22, first take care of the trigger (it will almost certainly come with a crappy one), mount a decent scope, then try a variety of ammo in it to see which it shoots best.  You may be pleasantly surprised with how well a mostly stock 10/22 can shoot.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah,  they aren't going to work, that is why so many of us that have used them have rifles that don't fire

it's not going to work because I suck with a dremel
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 5:13:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You aren't going to learn if you don't try. You can do the work with a cotton attachment and polishing compound for the most part without doing any damage.

it's not going to work because I suck with a dremel

Link Posted: 4/5/2009 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#33]
i'll give it a go

which one of the links will improve the trigger ?  The polishing tutorial looks simple, but it says it wont reduce the trigger weight.  Will it be a noticeable change ?
I'm assuming that if I purchase the Power Customs hammer & sear pack that it will replace all the parts that I polished ?

the one with the hammer modification looks way too complicated for me
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Replace the hammer and then polish the other parts.  I believe the PC sear has to be fitted and you may find that too much.  

If you are a SG buyer's club member you can go with this for $179.00 and find a $10.00 off online coupon code.  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=408064  Will then come to $169.00 + shipping and you don't need anything else.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Replace the hammer and then polish the other parts.  I believe the PC sear has to be fitted and you may find that too much.  

If you are a SG buyer's club member you can go with this for $179.00 and find a $10.00 off online coupon code.  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=408064  Will then come to $169.00 + shipping and you don't need anything else.

You can get the non-adjustable sear & hammer pack too, but I dunno what the difference would be with an adjustable sear.  i'm assuming the adjustable trigger has a screw that eliminates post-travel

I'm thinking about getting these parts

tuffer buffer
skeeter helical fluted mag release

I don't know if I should get the PC hammer & sear pack, or the PC adjustable hammer & sear pack.  Or just polish the parts and put in a volquartsen hammer

Link Posted: 4/8/2009 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Extended mag release, which the new ones come with.
automatic bolt release.
VQ take down screw.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#37]
i'm gonna order a new buffer, extended mag release, the PC adjustable sear & hammer pack

i haven't decided on the stock... either a hogue or a tapco t6

Link Posted: 4/8/2009 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Auto bolt release or mod your stock one to do it.

Extended mag release unless you have a new 1022 that came with one.

VQ target hammer unless you want to spend bigger bucks or want to try modding your stock trigger parts.

Bolt buffer. I don't know what exactly they do but for a few bucks its probably worth it for the noise reduction.

Those are the things I think need to be done to any 1022.

This^^^^^^

Unless you really want to start spending major cash

Link Posted: 4/9/2009 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I added the following:

Tech-sights
VQ auto bolt release
VQ extractor
1 1/4" sling swivels

+1 on this! Still have stock barrel and stock and this gun is a shooter.

Then send your bolt off to here: CPC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top