Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2006 7:52:00 PM EDT
I received what I call a "Semi-preproduction" Rhineland Arms 10/22 MP5 SD stock assembly today in the mail. This last time I bugged Thomas he mentioned it was ready to ship but he was waiting on the pistol grips. I told him I had a number of standard AR grips and to go ahead and send it without.....I got it today.

This is what it looked like when I ripped open the box like a kid at Christmas time.

Here it is alongside a new "Plain Jane" 10/22 that I have had waiting just for this project.

My first impressions were:

1. The rail, forend and fake can have a slightly different finish on them. It is a little more glossy (not too glossy) and has a bit more of a blue/black color in incandescent light. It looks black under florescent (sp?).

2. The main stock chassis and retractable stock were more like the other RA stocks that I have and is a nice matte black.

3. The top rail looks alot like the rails for their R22 and are pretty nicely machined and have extra holes that align with the scope base holes on the top of the gun's receiver. If there are screws for this, I didn't get them...I don't think they are needed..I really have to plead ignorant on this one

4. The stock slides in and out a bit stiff, but I assume that will get easier with use. It does appear that as with any retractable stock where you have material rubbing on material that there may be some future finish wear at the contact points...not a big concern of mine. It's a gun, not a piece of artwork.

5. The fake can has an open end. I think this is so it works with different barrel length. I don't care for this look and will probably make a nylon cap that fits inside the fake can/outside the barrel.

The gun went into the stock a little tight.....if you own their 10/22 rail stock, you know what I mean. I think they are holding a bit too tight of tolerances because they are trying to make these fit like a glove...that's good, but it take a little fiddling to get the barreled action into the stock chassis. The issue was the forward/backward distance that the receiver has to fit in the channel in the stock. If you put the rear in first then rock the front down in...it hits the front inside with the front of the mag area on the receiver...I removed a slight bit of the top corner in the stock to help it go in. This may be something RA needs to look at a little bit. It would only take a few thousands of material removal to make these fit easier....I will give them the benefit of the doubt though because not all 10/22 are exactly the same. This one was brand new and had a heavy coat of that wonderful blue/black ruger paint.

Here is the area that I mentioned being tight....not a great picture.

When I got the action in the receiver, the main hole for the receiver screw was a bit off of alignment. I could easily drill the hole a bit larger and make it fit, but I am not in a big hurry to do that, because this thing CAN'T actually go anywhere.

Once I had the action in, I installed the top rail/handguard/fake can assembly. I found out with the standard 18.5" barrel (or whatever it is) that the the muzzle sticks out of the end of the can:

P.S. The rear sight has to me removed...an easy tap with a hammer and plastic punch drifts it right out of it's dovetail.

The good thing is that the can has lots of adjustment length and you can slide it out or in and drill two small hole and you are good to go. They were thinking on that one....it should cover any barrel up to about 20"...if you want a 20" barrel in an MP5 10/22 clone that is.

The forearm is awesome...the machined fins are nice and true, almost sharp, but they don't feel that way. The very bottom is flat  I assume this is for a picitanny rail. It has both larger vent holes and smaller threaded hole for the rail.

The underside of the stock near the mag area has extended "Wings" that are on either side of the magwell. Kind of like what an FAL has, except both side.

The stock is a pretty neat idea. It has a closed position and then 2 extended positions. The LOP is short....did I mention it's short? I have long monkey arms, but I have gotten to like a short LOP...I would say average is about 13.5" maybe. This one is 10.5" and 11.5". The 11.5" feels pretty good actually, but I think a person could easily add a rubber pad to get another 1/2" - 1" and it would be perfect...for me anyway.

The stock locking mechanism is pretty unique and it works well. The stock has almost no wiggle in both closed and extended positions. The end piece is spring loaded and you push it down with your thumb and pull/push the stock in/out. It works well. These pics are a little dark....

I ended up changing the barrel out from the factory unit to a SS barrel that I turned to a smaller lighter profile and cut to 16.25". The cool thing is that you can change barrels while the gun is still in the stock. You need to remove the rail/forearm/fake can assembly, but you can leave the receiver in the stock. With the shorter barrel in place, I loosened the two screws that hold the rail to the forearm (they also hold the fake can in place) and slide the fake can back so it was about flush with the end of my shorter barrel and marked and drilled two small holes for the rail/forearm screws tips to line up with..put it all back together and it looks great.

OAL with the 16.25" barrel is 32 1/2" open and 26 1/2" closed.

If Rhineland tweaks the couple little fit issues (again, others may not have the same too tight fit that I had) anyone will be able to install this stock. The way mine was, if you don't like playing with stuff and like to tinker, you may not of enjoyed trying to get this together....

I now need to throw some folding AR iron sight on this and my Aimpoint clone and go shoot it. After sweating a little (and swearing just a bit) and getting it all together...I really think it's pretty cool.

Range report to come....you know the gun will work, it's just a darn 10/22, but I will add info on cheek weld, overall feel and fun of shooting.

Thanks for reading my ramblings...and please excuse my poor spelling

Added: I knew I would forget something....

The handguard attaches to the top rail with to socket head cap screws. The shooter end of the hollow forearm is round and slides over a short extension that is machined into the corresponding front area of the main stock body, that hold it in place, then the top rail/forearm assembly is further secured by two more socket head cap screws onto the top rear of the chassis behind the receiver.

If you are still awake after reading all of this...good job.

Link Posted: 9/21/2006 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Cool!  Rhineland always does interesting stuff.

2.  I wish that the Akins Accelerator was in this thing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2006 5:45:49 AM EDT
[#2]
It's BUTT UGLY!

I have to have one!!!

Link Posted: 9/22/2006 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#3]
cool rig, I'll try to convince the wife to change hers
Link Posted: 9/22/2006 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

5. The fake can has an open end. I think this is so it works with different barrel length. I don't care for this look and will probably make a nylon cap that fits inside the fake can/outside the barrel.

the open end on the fake can is a big bummer...even with the holes in  it they had to do that?
MY favorite part on the MP5SD is the way the front looks....
If you make the cap post photos...would love to see how it looks finished
Link Posted: 9/22/2006 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I will post pics when I make the end cap...you bet I will.

I added some goodies....I had to rob them off a different gun, but I have replacements on order!!!

Link Posted: 9/25/2006 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Took it out for a quick test fire...it shoots fine...as it should, it's just a 10/22. The reddot is a bit high for a good check weld with the mount I am using. I assume it will be fine with the lower mount I have. I will switch it out soon. It was still just fine.

I just ran a few mags through it getting the reddot close at about 25 yards. On the way home I sent a skunk to skunk heaven.

I just realized something after playing more with this stock...it comes ready to switch over to use a M4 style stock if a person chooses. You just remove the collapsable stock and associatted hardware and screw in your M4/CAR buffer tube and go to town. I intend to have one with collabsable MP5 style stock and switch one over to an M4 style stock. With ammo prices now a days I am thinking a cool .22 is the way to go for fun guns.
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I was playing around tonight.

I switched my current MP5 SD 10/22 over to a M4 style stock. Thomas told me that the new kits come with a stock that will have about an extra 1.5" LOP, so I had to order one of them also. In that case, this one was destined to be changed in to a MP5 SD M4 10/22...did you get all of that

Link Posted: 12/8/2006 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Are these stocks (Rhineland Arms) made of aluminum or plastic or both? This setup looks sweet and fun to shoot w/o having to break the bank on ammo.

usmc5593
Link Posted: 12/8/2006 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was playing around tonight.

I switched my current MP5 SD 10/22 over to a M4 style stock. Thomas told me that the new kits come with a stock that will have about an extra 1.5" LOP, so I had to order one of them also. In that case, this one was destined to be changed in to a MP5 SD M4 10/22...did you get all of that

www.hunt101.com/img/437454.jpg

This photo isn't working, and I'd love to see this!
'
Thanks for the write up, you did a great job!
Link Posted: 12/8/2006 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Ask and ye shall receive.

It's funny....I did a thread on this with alot of detail...nobody replied on it and I think it must have been deleted. Oh well, I just tried to find it and it's GONE......here's some BIG pics.

P.S. Last time I spoke to Thomas at RA, he mentioned something about the newer stocks NOT being able to switch over to an M4 style stock....without an adaptor. I have no idea if the new ones ended uo that way or if it was just something Thomas was thinking over.....just a not to ask if you plan to order and want to go the M4 stock option.

Thanks for the good word on my thread...I love doing this stuff.

Link Posted: 12/8/2006 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ask and ye shall receive.

It's funny....I did a thread on this with alot of detail...nobody replied on it and I think it must have been deleted. Oh well, I just tried to find it and it's GONE......here's some BIG pics.

P.S. Last time I spoke to Thomas at RA, he mentioned something about the newer stocks NOT being able to switch over to an M4 style stock....without an adaptor. I have no idea if the new ones ended uo that way or if it was just something Thomas was thinking over.....just a not to ask if you plan to order and want to go the M4 stock option.

Thanks for the good word on my thread...I love doing this stuff.

www.hunt101.com/img/445412-big.jpg

www.hunt101.com/img/445413-big.jpg

www.hunt101.com/img/445414-big.jpg

WOW THOSE ARE HUGE!!!!

Thanks! Personally I like the original stock, and although it doesn't bear alot of resemblance to the mp5, I find myself craving this sucker...
Link Posted: 12/9/2006 5:46:21 AM EDT
[#12]

I like the original stock

Me too...that's why I had to get both

This last setup with the M4 stock on maybe doesn't look as "Cool", but it is actually very user friendly to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/9/2006 5:46:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Are these stocks (Rhineland Arms) made of aluminum or plastic or both?

All aluminum!
Link Posted: 12/13/2006 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, this toy is way too cool. I will get it next year to dress up my 10/22.
Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Clips and stuff has ONE more of these left (sd) 12/14/06. They only got a shipment of 4!
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Clips and stuff has ONE more of these left (sd) 12/14/06. They only got a shipment of 4!

Woops, make that ZERO left in stock.  Thanks for the head's-up!

Link Posted: 12/15/2006 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Woops, make that ZERO left in stock.  Thanks for the head's-up!

We both lucked out!   they have none at rhineland arms either!
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I will post pics when I make the end cap...you bet I will.

I added some goodies....I had to rob them off a different gun, but I have replacements on order!!!

www.hunt101.com/img/436213.jpg

www.hunt101.com/img/436214.jpg

How difficult was it to get your irons on the rail?  I got my 1022SD Monday and was going to put a pair of HK416 sights on but two issues came up:

1. The fit is off such that when tightened, there is about a mm or two of space between the bottom of the sight and the top of the rail (it isn't resting naturally) because the angle of the rail and the angle on the sight base are not equal.

2. The screw is a smidge too thick for the slot in the rail, and while I can brute-force it, it tears up the rail in the process.

Still not sure why they didn't make the rail picatinny, but not much I can do about that, I guess.  I really like the HK sights, but I need something that fits naturally without having to force it in place and tear-up the stock in the process.
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#19]
The HK SL8-1 sights (that I modified a bit) fit on the exact same way as you describe.

However, my AR sights fit on perfectly....no issues at all.
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Can we get a picture of the muzzle of the barrel and shroud?  I want to see how it looks.   Has anyone come up with a cap of anykind that covers it?
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#21]
HK_DUDE, thanks for the reply; looks like I'll just need to use a little trial-and-error to get it right.

guns762, I personally don't have any pics, but am considering options for a cover--probably a metal end cap I can press in and then just Duracoat the whole shroud to match.  I emailed Thomas at Rhineland about the probability of them making a cap in the future and he said due to legal concerns, they have no plans to do so.
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I show a pic in the top of this thread how the muzzle looks as it comes from RA, it is open on the end (unless the new ones are different)

Here is mine after I made a nylon insert/end cap.

P.S. I cut the barrel back to 16.5" also.....It is a SS barrel I had sitting on the shelf.

Link Posted: 12/20/2006 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I show a pic in the top of this thread how the muzzle looks as it comes from RA, it is open on the end (unless the new ones are different)

P.S. I cut the barrel back to 16.5" also.....It is a SS barrel I had sitting on the shelf.

www.hunt101.com/img/445415.jpg

So, how much for you to make me one?  Mine is identical to yours, BTW.
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 2:21:11 AM EDT
[#24]
i think the SD hand gaurd is just ugly, wish they had the a4 ones
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 6:45:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

That looks really, really, good.   How did you make it?  It looks like metal.  It's nylon?  Where did you get the nylon?  Come on, you can't post something that awesome and then not tell us how you did it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 8:17:49 AM EDT
[#26]
A little background....

I have been making Nylon barrel shrouds (fake cans) for Uzi, USC, SP10 and other guns for a couple years. Thet all start as a piece of solid black nylon 6-6. It is a very hearty material and it is black through-out. I machine them in my litttle lathe.

That is exactly what this is....I just machined it to have a "Light press fit" into the RA shroud. It has a total length of about 4". I decided after smacking it in the end that it only has to be about 2.5" OAL.....it surely isn't going anywhere.

I can't decide if I want to make them and try sell a few just because the material is actual a little expensive and there is a bit of work into them....I just don't think people would want to pay much for them.

I get $75-$100 for my full size shrouds that I make.....I would probably be looking at around $30-$35 for one of these....most may think they aren't worth it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#27]
We'll, I'll buy one from you if you make it.

I finally got mine finished.  Cut about an inch off the receiver end of the shroud so it sits flush with the 16.5" barrel.  Overall length is a skosh over 26"--essentially the same length as a PS90.  The barrel is a litte off center in the shroud, so I'll need to adjust the screws to find the sweet spot.  Overall I'm impressed, though it was a beast getting the receiver in the stock!
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

RA has probably already thought about this, but then again that doesn't mean much, considering Akins even sent in for approval their design and are now being shot down, after it was approved.

Might want to be careful with that.
From what I understand (IIRC), anything that extends past the barrel is considered a sound suppressor if it can reduce the sound even 1db. From what you said, with it's ability to extend out to 20" and with a 16" bbl, especially with an end cap (and maybe SS ammo), I wouldn't be surprised if it reduced it 1db...

Again, I'm not claiming anything as fact, since I don't recall exactly, but that is what I remember.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#30]
It's less then 1/2 Inch......I hope they crack down on the 5.5" flash hiders.....

IIRC..there has to be a closed "chamber" and a baffle of some sort. The end of this is drilled through a little larger then the OD of the barrel. Nothing that anyone could even try to consider a baffel or end cap.

They make tubes for AR15s that have the front sight on the end of the tube....it extends our past the front sight to give a longer sight radius.....

Some high end .22 LR maker offered 16" .22 LR barrel that were back bored back to 13" (or there abouts) because it is the optimal length for powder burn and accuracy (not my idea, the pros) and that would have a almost 3" length of material that it was shooting through......

I can think of others if needed.

I'm not being an ass, it's just all the junior ATF agents on this sight that bug me sometimes. I swear some people are looking to make new laws to take away even more of our rights.........rant off

P.S. I don't even intend to sell them....THEY were asking me for them.....o.k...rant back off again
Link Posted: 1/6/2007 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#31]
i'm waiting for them to come out with an mp5-a4 conv,  then i would get one in flash
Link Posted: 1/22/2007 1:02:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Great write-up, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Do you think that one of those stocks would be legal in Ct, where we still have AWB?hinkThanks in advance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top