Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2005 12:45:41 AM EDT
The goal of this thread is to compile a comprehensive list of information for everything regarding Ruger 10/22 magazines.  Any personal experience and added input is greatly encouraged.  Lets keep this as an informative thread and not a flame war about which magazines your uncles brothers heard sucked.  Hopefully this can get tacked and answer the age old questions of what is out there, where can I find it, how much does it cost, and does it work?  Since the ban is over the majority of you can now own cheap Hi cap mags and often have a lot of questions about them with the choices currently on the market.  Hopefully this will help you out.

One of the best regarded magazines are those made by Butler Creek www.butlercreek.com

They make the Hot Lips magazines in 10 and 25rnd versions
And Steel Lips in 10 and 25rnds
All versions can be found in clear plastic or “smoke” which is a slightly transparent black that still allows one to easily see the number of rounds loaded into the magazine.

These are single stack magazines that can be rapidly reloaded with Butler Creeks Hot Lips Loader.  I would highly recommend this loader to anybody who uses their mags.

Some good prices on the internet at the moment are from Natchez Shooters Supply at www.natchezss.com
They sell Steel Lips 25rd mags for $29 and 25rnd Hot Lips mags for $20 a piece
www.copesdist.com has cheaper 25rnd steel lips for $27 a piece and the same price for Hot Lips.

The Difference between these two magazines is that the Hot Lips has a plastic Feeding lip on it that will eventually wear out.  Once this happens the magazines will lose their level of reliability and start to jam once and awhile.  This process usually occurs after a few thousand rounds in my experience.
The Steel lips are just that, instead of plastic feeding lips they have metal.  This should keep them from wearing out and eliminate the problems associated with worn feeding lips.

RamLine is the other main manufacturer of magazines for the 10/22

They currently produce

25rnd Single stack magazine (like butler creeks, except usually found cheaper)
30rnd Double stack magazine
50rnd Double stack magazine

As far as I know these can also be found in either: clear, smoke and sometimes solid black.
I will let others relate their experiences with the rest of the magazines but from what I have read most of the double stack magazines have feeding troubles.  There are ways to fix those problems if they occur which I’m sure others will share.

Natchez carries these also although I don’t know if these are the best prices
The 25 round is just under $20, The 30rnd is $23 in solid black, $25 for smoke (old vs new design I believe) and $32 for the 50rnd magazine

Eagle also makes Hi cap mags for the 10/22

They are known for their inexpensive 10rnd magazines which are usually 2 for 10
They also make a 30rnd magazine which is clear and has plastic feed lips

If I remember right the pre-ban version had metal lips but I could be wrong about that.
www.cheaperthandirt.com has them for $15 a piece for the 30rnd plastic lip mags

There are other 25rnd single stack mags that may be on the market right now that I have seen in catalogs that have no manufacturer’s name listed.  The feed lips are green usually, I believe that Ram lines feed lips are all yellow, while Butler Creeks are red.

A more exotic magazine is the 50rnd Tear drop mag by MWG
It is very expensive and can be found at
www.copesdist.com/ for $80

I think that this magazine has a winding key that is used to prime it after loading so that it will feed cartridges.

These are all of the basic Hi Capacity magazines for the Ruger 10/22 that are in current production and available for sale to all residents of free states.  Any additional information is welcome!

TheSelecter
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:01:44 AM EDT
[#1]
rimfirecentral.com
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I only use the Eaton/Condor 25rds. except for one Ramline 30rd doublestack, because thats the only one that works with the bullpup stock.
Link Posted: 3/20/2005 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#3]
anybody that have a 30rnd eagle wanna let us know how it is?  or any of these mags if you could give alittle run down on their performance, likes, dislikes.
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#5]
As with most 10/22 stuff it depends on the gun, ammo, etc. Everybody gets different results. What works in one gun might not work in another. Maybe a poll?

Bang
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#6]
i purchased 2 brand new Ram Line 50's.

last weekend they worked great.

this weekend, jam o matic.

less than 500 rounds though them.

Link Posted: 4/23/2005 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#7]
if you figure out how to get them to run NAM let us know.  I know some guys swear  by them "if" you do certain modifications to the mags.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
if you figure out how to get them to run NAM let us know.  I know some guys swear  by them "if" you do certain modifications to the mags.

i'd be interested in hearing the mods necessary...
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i purchased 2 brand new Ram Line 50's.

last weekend they worked great.

this weekend, jam o matic.

less than 500 rounds though them.

I had the same experiance with mine.  Worked great for a few hundred rounds and then quit feeding.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#10]
preban condors had metal feed lips and where hit and miss items like most hi-caps,

they also dont fit in the magwell tight so you have the rocking motion which hinders proper feeding.

simple fix for the mag fitment is either tape for a quick simple fix or the use of j-b weld or something of the like.

butler creeks function after some break-in i.e. leaving it fully loaded for a few days to break in the spring inside. also hit and miss deal.

the best mags i have ever used and still use is the factory ruger box mags. with a simple added spring tension by adding a few flats of the hex nut and your set for a good while.

these are just my experiences and some have had better luck then me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I have BC hotlips, steel lips, and Ramline 50's. None work properly.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#12]
thats odd i've never had a problem with Hotlips before.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#13]
The steelips wont feed the rounds upward 100% of the time, they end up being stuck in the mag just low enought where they cannot feed. All I have to do is touch the nose of the round with my finger and it comes on up.

The other problem I have with the Hotlips and Ramlines is that the round will be pushed upwards so that the nose of the bullet is touching the top of the reciever and the rim of the bullet is stuck in the mag and pushed foward to the very front of the magazine.

Also, sometimes the magazine spring on all of them, will not push the next round up in time for the bolt to grab it so that there will not be a round in the chamber. I have to pull back the bolt to load another round. Which means the spring is weak.

I am to the point where I am going to give up on all aftermarket magazines for the 10/22. I am really disappointed.

Ruger needs to get off their fucking ass and make some decent high capacity mags for thier rifles.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ruger needs to get off their fucking ass and make some decent high capacity mags for thier rifles.

Will never happen, read up on Ruger.

What needs to be developed is a high-cap that feeds using a rigid rotary drive identical to the
OEM ones.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will never happen, read up on Ruger.

What needs to be developed is a high-cap that feeds using a rigid rotary drive identical to the
OEM ones.

Yeah, I know all about thier stupid policy and Bill's involvement in the AWB.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a couple of metal mags. They are from Bingham back in the eighties. The look like ciener mags with out the big block attached. The work great.
They look real cool in the krinker plinker.

I really want a metal round drum. I have a Bingham drum but I would probably need to make some kind of adapter for it.

Chip
Link Posted: 4/28/2005 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/28/2005 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Not to necessarily swear by the mags, but i have a pre-ban 50 rnd double stack Ram line, have shot hundreds of rounds through it, not a problem
Link Posted: 4/28/2005 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Regarding Eagle magazines, I still have some from Wal-Mart before the ban...they were $9.99.
On some old ones, the rear nub was plastic and can break off, making them useless.
All mine are black, have the "extra" mag release built on to them and the sliding bottom cover for cleaning and the feed lips are plastic.
These will work in a Tec-22 (as far as a tec-22 goes) the Butler Creek hot lips won't. Comparing the 2 side by side, the Butler Creek lacks the additional "ejector" the Eagle has.
I sent back some Ram-Line mags in the early '90's but never heard a word from them.
To me, it's a rare Ram-line that works properly, seeing jams galore and outright splitting at the seam!
I melted a Ram-line plastic 14 round MKII mag by spraying it with a solvent...obviously the wrong kind...be careful with some types of solvent. (that mag sucked anyway)
The 50 round drum I had, until recently, seemed similar to the others but was boxed and marketed by Mitchell and had a blue belt in it.                                                                         In the box was the instruction booklet and winder, it also had a clip to put on a belt.
I did have the Squires-Bingham steel 30 rounders a long time ago, along with the adaptor that locked into the 10/22's magwell.
They worked well, even though they loosened up and wiggled a lot.
They had sharp bottoms and were more prone to rust that the later plastic hi-caps.
I haven't purchased any since the ban was in effect, all mine being stashed during the "dark decade".

DO you still have this adapter by chance? I am looking for one.

Thanks
CH
Link Posted: 4/28/2005 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#20]
The only 10/22 hi-cap I have ever had any luck with are Buttler Creek 25rnd Hotlips.  All of the BC mags I have owned/do own have had plastic followers.

Before those I tried Ram-Line and American Eagle all of which ended up down range as a target of frustration.
Link Posted: 4/30/2005 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#21]
do the 15 rnd ramline mags they have now suck as bad as the 30rnd and 50rnd ones?  Anybody bought them?
Link Posted: 5/1/2005 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I bought a ramline 30 rounder last weekend, only had the chance to try it out once.  It only fed a round like twice, the rest of the time the bullet it feeds doesnt reach up high enough to be chambered.  
Next time I go to shoot, I am going to bring a file to see if I can get it to fit right.  I think maybe my extended mag release may be a problem with some mags.
Link Posted: 5/1/2005 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#23]
No, the problem is the FUCKING MAGAZINES!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#24]
I agree that there is not a great hicap mag for the 10/22 (though butler creeks are pretty good).

But, the factory 10 round mags do work GREAT if you tighten up the spring on them.  it takes about two minutes and if you tighten up the spring and spray a little teflon lube in side, they will give you no problems.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#25]
yep the factory box mags are some of the best.

turn the hex screw a few flats tighter and you have a great mag.

i wouldnt spray nothing on the inside though maybe a light coat of oil on the spring but nothing inside.

all the great info can be found at rimfirecentral.com which is like arfcom for the 10/22
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#26]
We here at Rhineland Arms are expereincing the same problems most of you are.  We blast and I mean blast thousands of rounds through a single mag in about 2 days. We have found that the BC hotlip 25 rounders were out very fast, as do the ramlines.

We are going to have several Eagle 30rders and the brand new BC Steel lips in a couple days. You can be sure that by friday each of those mags will have several thousand rounds in them.

We have found that most of the time the round just does not want go high enough. I play with the mags some times but have not found a good solution yet.

Ole, mister Ruger made things difficult on purpose I beleive. It works better than  a patent.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#27]
let us know how the steel lips hold up, i'm currious
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I dumped over 700 rounds through 2 Eagle mags the other day, Over 600 of those rounds were bump fired. Absolutly no failures due to the magazine, I had a few stove pipes but that was due to the junk ammo I was shooting (thunderbolts, I have always had problems with those).

I HIGHLY recomend eagle mags. They even have a cleaning port on the bottom to get all the junk out unline the ramline and butler creek ones. CDNN has them on sale for $9.99 rite now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I dumped over 700 rounds through 2 Eagle mags the other day, Over 600 of those rounds were bump fired. Absolutly no failures due to the magazine, I had a few stove pipes but that was due to the junk ammo I was shooting (thunderbolts, I have always had problems with those).

I HIGHLY recomend eagle mags. They even have a cleaning port on the bottom to get all the junk out unline the ramline and butler creek ones. CDNN has them on sale for $9.99 rite now.

these were the 30rnd eagle mags right?  do they have plastic or metal lips?
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#30]
We are on target with our testing.

The Eagle 30round mags in the R22 are running perfect. I will try to get a thousand rounds throught each of the mags by later tonight. I did not test in the 10/22.

The BC, Steel lips is having a couple problems in both the R22 and 10/22. The cartridges want to pull a wheelee and not feed. Worse in the R22 than the 10/22.  I hope it  just needs a break in period. I have not yet checked all the steel lips.

We are running Federal Champion right now.

Link Posted: 5/11/2005 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

these were the 30rnd eagle mags right?  do they have plastic or metal lips?

They have plastic lips. They do seem to be holding up very well.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
We here at Rhineland Arms are expereincing the same problems most of you are.  We blast and I mean blast thousands of rounds through a single mag in about 2 days. We have found that the BC hotlip 25 rounders were out very fast, as do the ramlines.

We are going to have several Eagle 30rders and the brand new BC Steel lips in a couple days. You can be sure that by friday each of those mags will have several thousand rounds in them.

We have found that most of the time the round just does not want go high enough. I play with the mags some times but have not found a good solution yet.

Ole, mister Ruger made things difficult on purpose I beleive. It works better than  a patent.

Did I miss the bulletin?  BC is making new runs of Steel Lips?!  Any changes to the design?!  I JUST finally broke down and ordered 2 from RBPrecision for $30 a piece.  I expect reliable operation at least somewhat comparable to the OEM 10 rounder...
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 1:43:28 AM EDT
[#33]
yup BC steel lips are being made again
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#34]
We have found the BC Steel lips do not work worth a crap with low power ammo. They do work perfect with HighVelocity and Hyper velocity ammo.  Dont ask me why.  Maybe its just ours.

Link Posted: 5/14/2005 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Have used Ramline 30rd double stacks for years, never a problem 1000's of rds fired. I must be lucky ?
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Have used Ramline 30rd double stacks for years, never a problem 1000's of rds fired. I must be lucky ?

I was willing to pay more for the Steel Lips, and I was under the impression they were the only mag worth paying (the exorbitant prices that continue to this day) for, at least long-term, because the plastic lips on other mags always eventually wear out.  Is this a false belief and/or do some of the competitors out there also use steel feed lips?
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#37]
No one has commented on the 50rd teardrop mags  made by MWG.  I just got some mag in the mail today, Firequest is the name, and they have these mags for $69.99.  I'm just wondering if they are any good?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
No one has commented on the 50rd teardrop mags  made by MWG.  I just got some mag in the mail today, Firequest is the name, and they have these mags for $69.99.  I'm just wondering if they are any good?

They were LE marked for $49.  They went up to $80 on their website the day after the ban ended.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were LE marked for $49.  They went up to $80 on their website the day after the ban ended.  

Sooooo, has anyone bought a new one and used them?  I'd like to now if the quality is there or if it is a $70 POS.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:24:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Teardrop 50rd mags in my experience run fine. The weak point of the mag is the special key you use to wind up the thing, its easily broken. I broke mine and made a new steel one out of a paperclipBut there not worth the over inflated price and are slow loading.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#41]
I just took my BC Steel Lips out for the first time yesterday and ran a few hundred rounds out of them.  I can't say I'm that impressed.  The next bullet failed to feed numerous times, requiring a slap or shake of the mag.  Also had some problems getting the bolt to drop on them because they have quite a bit more play inside the magwell than the stock Ruger 10-rounders.  Just the usual odd FTE here and there when they worked, nothing unusual, but they only worked about half the time.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 11:38:49 AM EDT
[#42]
I wonder if each actual 10/22, or each magazine made has enough differences that gives these weird results.  Seems like any hi-cap could actually work great, but not for everybody.  Some peoples guns dont like anything but the stock 10rnd and some peoples will run double stacked 50 rnd Ramlines.  Strange
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#43]
I have 4 Butler Creek Hot Lips magazines that are about 12 years old, they have seen many thousands of rounds and have been drop-checked a few times and they still work great.

I have beefed up my stock of Butler Creek mags to include a few Steel Lips mags, they work with no problems.

I am a firm believer in the Butler Creek loader to the point that if I can't load a 10/22 mag from it I get rid of the mag.

I bought two Eagle mags, one works, the other is a jam-o-matic.
Neither will load from the BC loader.
Anyone want to buy a couple of Eagle 10/22 mags cheap?

I also bought two 50 round Ramline mags hoping that they would not be "jamline" mags (as they were in the past).
I have over 500 rounds through mag one with no problems, they both load from the BC loader, so far so good.

My take on it:
Buy the BC Hot Lips and be done with it.
If you want to spend the money on a Steel Lips, then do it.

Avoid Eagle mags like the plague.

Your milage may vary when using Ramline mags.

Link Posted: 5/31/2005 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#44]
I just got one of the new Steel Lips mags for my 10/22 and had the same problem that GeneralGenocide had. The Hot Lips always worked well with the factory barrel but had feed problems  when I upgraded. My Green Mountain chamber has always been tight. The factory mags did ok but I have had feed problems with some ammo. This what I did to fix it. First I removed the barrel and polished the chamber. Next I polished the lips on the Stell Lips mag. They come with a rough texture. Next time I took it out I had one fail to fire out of about 300 rounds. I'm happy and I will buy more Butler Creek Steel Lips mags. The plastic is ok for the casual shooter but anybody that dumps more than 1000 rounds a month through their gun should look into the Steel Lips mags. Hope this helps. My two cents.

Bang

And for cleaning do what the package says, Just use soap and water. Oh I also drilled a drain hole in the bottom of the mag.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Were they ever stopped being made?  They had been available in Canada the entire time of the AWB.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Were they ever stopped being made?  They had been available in Canada the entire time of the AWB.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Yes they stopped any new production shortly after the ban.  Old stock has always been available but without current production dealers are still managing to command $30 a mag.  When I can buy 2 30 rounders for my AR for less than that, something is seriously wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top