Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2017 11:33:12 AM EDT
I keep an old AR (just with irons) under the backseat of my F150 and Id like something next to it to hold a few mags.  Dont need a crazy amount, 4 mags would be plenty.  Name of the game here is I just want something cheap and that wont fall apart with light to moderate use.   I don't need the same high quality stuff like BFG, Beez...etc.  that I use for my HD setup.  

So my question is would I be better off with something like a USMC warbelt with a couple spare mag holders OR something like a Condor Recon chest rig?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#1]
BFG bandolier? Micro rig? I have both for different guns/situations. They are on closeout if you don't care about color

Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I like your idea of a surplus USMC war belt. Won't take up much space, will hold what you said you wanted it to hold. Quick to put on if you need to, inexpensive.

JPK
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#4]
What about this
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I think ace case. I have one and they are pretty well built for the price Add a carabiner in a grommet to snap to your belt/belt loop to keep it where you want it. 2 pouches holding 4 mags. 1 pouch with blowout kit, one with whatever you want (leatherman, lighter, flashlight etc) and 2 empties. One for whatever else you decide you need to carry, and one for a hasty handgun holster.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#6]
What manufacture is this?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about this
View Quote
Yep.

Grab it, throw it over your shoulder and go.

If you need to grab your rifle and spare mags from your vehicle because somethings going sideways, I doubt you have the time to really suit up.
And nothing's faster than a single strap for grab and go.

I also like the idea of putting FAK supplies in one slot.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#8]
5.11 4 Banger bag.  Holds four mags, plus room for IFAK, flashlight, and other small sundries.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Legitimate question, not trolling:

In an event where you need to retrieve a carbine from your vehicle PLUS multiple filled mags in some sort of carrier (question posed was chest rig vs battle belt), why wouldn't you opt for body armor with mag pouches?

I figure anytime I'd need a carbine plus additional multiple quick access mags, I'd probably want at least iiia, but preferably at least Lvl III armor.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#10]
What about a GI bandolier. ( sp)
Holds up to 6 mags, less if you want.
Not fancy but functional.

Damnit, already beat .
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Legitimate question, not trolling:

In an event where you need to retrieve a carbine from your vehicle PLUS multiple filled mags in some sort of carrier (question posed was chest rig vs battle belt), why wouldn't you opt for body armor with mag pouches?

I figure anytime I'd need a carbine plus additional multiple quick access mags, I'd probably want at least iiia, but preferably at least Lvl III armor.
View Quote
I only have one set of plates and they live under my bed.  In a perfect world (and if I had a slightly bigger back seat) id def have body armor in there.  

Its purpose would Not be for immediate reaction but if SHTF and I'm broken down someplace extra ethnic
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think ace case. I have one and they are pretty well built for the price Add a carabiner in a grommet to snap to your belt/belt loop to keep it where you want it. 2 pouches holding 4 mags. 1 pouch with blowout kit, one with whatever you want (leatherman, lighter, flashlight etc) and 2 empties. One for whatever else you decide you need to carry, and one for a hasty handgun holster.
View Quote
That works!  

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like your idea of a surplus USMC war belt. Won't take up much space, will hold what you said you wanted it to hold. Quick to put on if you need to, inexpensive.

JPK
View Quote
Inexpensive by itself but the cost for mag pouches is about equal to the cost of the belt.  

Might still get one of the belts just to see what all the fuss is about warbelts but I dont think it will fit the role of super cheap and simple (KISS) truck gun mag carrier as well as the Ace Case that the awesome gentlemen above have pointed me towards.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I use a Midway "bail out bag" to hold truck gun stuff. It has external mag pockets that can hold a maximum of 6 30rd mags, two end zippered pockets, and a large main compartment that is lined with both loop on one side and pals webbing on the other.  It's made to be worn like the one strap backpacks that are popular these days, and even has a velcro piece to secure it to your belt.  The only downside is you can easily overload it, but you get a lot of options.

It's not as tacticool as a chest rig or battle belt, but it is very versatile and in the right color doesn't scream "armed" like other options.

For the most part all mine carries is 3 mags, IFAK, a multitool, a backup GPS, chemlights, and spare batteries.  Luckily the mags make up 3/4 of the weight so as long as I don't add more it isn't even heavy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Ran this in a two day class to see if it would hold up and ran like a champ.  Twenty bucks on Amazon.

Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ran this in a two day class to see if it would hold up and ran like a champ.  Twenty bucks on Amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZC2wD5v4uE
View Quote
when I say the thread, I thought of this ^ and also
Reid's vid on the Midway 4 Mag Pouch
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd avoid a war belt for truck gun gear.  You should already have your CCW on you, and moving your handgun and holster is wasted time when you are needing a long gun.

Chest is usually pretty clear real estate for most people in EDC.  Plate carrier or chest rig.  Or shoulder bag, for lower profile (with a rifle in hand:   )
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:36:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Holy shit is the shipping from ace case ridiculous.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:10:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I use a Midway "bail out bag" to hold truck gun stuff. *snip*

It's not as tacticool as a chest rig or battle belt, but it is very versatile and in the right color doesn't scream "armed" like other options.
View Quote
?
Doesn't carrying a carbine already scream 'armed'?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:28:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I only have one set of plates and they live under my bed.  In a perfect world (and if I had a slightly bigger back seat) id def have body armor in there.  

Its purpose would Not be for immediate reaction but if SHTF and I'm broken down someplace extra ethnic
View Quote
I guess I understand working within limitations (no room in vehicle etc.).

As for not being intended for immediate reaction, I figure if I'm going to pack one, I'd want to have the widest utility possible for it.

For the 2nd paragraph, if shit's bad enough for me to feel the need for a carbine plus ready access to multiple loaded mags (as opposed to just stuffing everything in some kind of bag/pack), I'd want the plate carrier with mag pouches too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 6:32:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

?
Doesn't carrying a carbine already scream 'armed'?
View Quote
It does, but sometimes you might want to take the bag out by itself (take it inside an apartment, etc) and if someone peeks through a window camo gives a good suggestion there is a firearm in the vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#22]
I have one of these in OCP

Bandoleer
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Holy shit is the shipping from ace case ridiculous.  
View Quote
I think I got mine from midway usa
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Given you're unlikely to ever use it (if if you do use it, only briefly), Condor isn't a bad option. It's heavier than it should be, and not as abrasion resistant, but it generally works. The only think I'd be a little worried about is elastic.

The Condor recon chest rig was $35 last time I looked. If you're budget is that tight, it's probably the best $35 option you'll find. For a couple bucks more, the Old Grouch rifleman setup (FLC with surplus pouches) is probably a better option. http://store.oldgrouch.biz/moriveset.html

If you're looking for something that is quick to put on, I'd avoid a chest rig. I've seen lots of airsofters (i.e., guys who put on their gear every weekend) fumble like crazy putting on chest rigs. Split front vests are far better for that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:47:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Here's my thinking.  You need to sit down and figure out what are the most likely scenarios you might find yourself in, and train and equip accordingly.  You got a lot of good answers here to lots of different scenarios; the point is what is the most likely sit you may find yourself in.  For example, if I was more concerned about a violent protest that blocked my vehicle and made me have to dismount and defend myself, I would be looking for something quick to grab and use.  A rifle with a simple 3-mag bandoleer wrapped and rubber banded around it for quick donning comes to mind.  If I thought that just breaking down or traffic jams might stop me, forcing me to dismount, then I would be looking at something with more kit, but that takes longer to put on.  Here either a belt of chest rig, with a bug out bag would be the deal.  If I thought that an active shooter event is the biggest threat, then I'd get kit somewhere in between; still quick to don but perhaps include BA n such.  You could pack your kit for all three of these events, and just grab what is appropriate I suppose, but then you really need two complete load outs, one for your truck, the other for home.  If you only have one, then you need to figure out where your most likely threats are coming from, and pack accordingly.  My assumption is in most cases I would be using EDC pistol gear at home, and rifle kit for more unusual circumstances outside of home, such as chance encounters with whatever.  If things did deteriorate to needing rifle kit at home, then you would transfer it to the house.

Ideally, you would have two complete, rifle/pistol load outs, one for home, one for the truck.  That way regardless of what happens, you should still have a load out in one location or the other.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I own three different dedicated E&E/bailout-type magazine bags. They were designed for armored up soldiers to roll out of a Hummer under fire. They really are suboptimal for unarmored guys using a truck gun, based on several carbine classes and lots of testing. Most bandoliers are the same, likely to snag on everything and move around a lot. The only time that bags beat a warbelt is in the snow in my testing.

A warbelt is much more likely to be where you want it when you need it - the belt does not slide around. Both choices are a compromise, but I have a few dozen hours actually testing the different options - warbelt all the way.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Within the scenario of rolling out under fire, you need a quick grab n go package.  The fastest deployment in training that I could do was with a bandoleer wrapped around the rail, and held in place with a rubber band.  You can grab it and return fire immediately, then pop the rubber band and don it very quickly.  With one strap over the shoulder and another around the waist, it's pretty stable.  Of course to gain speed it's a compromise between how much it will carry, and how quickly it dons.  You might have 2-3 reloads and a small bleeder kit and that's about it.  Also, this kind of rig can easily be worn over the neck as a simple micro chest rig.  So depending on what you prefer, you can have your reloads secured other strong side, or center-mass.  Either of which will integrate nicely with your EDC if you are running it.

Again it depends on what scenario or scenarios you think are most likely.  A belt kit will work nicely, if you have enough time to put it on.  Same with a PC, assault pack, or whatever.  If you think you may be suddenly stopped and have to un-ass the vehicle, perhaps under fire, you want something very quick to deploy.  If you think you might have to just abandoned the vehicle and there is no pressure to do it quickly, then these options come into play.  

We did an exercise one time where the vehicle is stopped at a road block and comes under fire.  First guy rolls out and immediately returns fire with pistol.  Second guy grabs rifle and moves to the rear of the vehicle.  When he is up, first guy grabs his rifle and joins number 2 at rear of vehicle, and deploys his rifle.  Fire and maneuver to break contact/fight through obj.  We found the bandoleer rubber banded to the rifle was the quickest way to get into action.  Having to don a belt or chest rig/PC took too much time and left number one hanging out there, having to do an emergency reload with no covering fire.  This is but one possibility but serves to illustrate a possible scenario in an emergency sit.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I'll throw my two cents in.  So I posted the video above and believe it to be a viable options.  I've also taken the Vehicle Elements Theory from Costa but by no means am I claiming to be an expert because of it.  I've also been on several Vehicle Mounted Operations in the Middle East and Afghanistan but don't think we're likely to run into scenarios like that here.  Closest likely scenario I can think of would be stuck in the middle of a riot.  I enjoy the "Active Self Protection" channel on Youtube which takes real life armed encounters captured on video and analyzes them for self defense purposes.  In just about every case when the good guy, not only fires a gun, but merely presents one, the bad guys break contact. I also like Reid Henrich's saying that if you fire more than two rifle magazines you're going to be famous.  

On that premise, when I took the VET course I decided to take it as I would normally drive.  No special kit.  Just wore jeans and a button up shirt.  The only kit I used was my daily carry (INCOG holster) and two kydex pistol pouches.  I decided to test the ETS AR mags, since you could "couple" them together, to see how they perform.  Every drill we performed including multiple targets, and protecting and extracting family, was performed and never ran through two mags per drill.  The ETS mags worked just fine for three days and about 1,000 rounds.  Admittedly, I still need to test them under different conditions to be 100% on them.  

My conclusion, and my conclusion alone, is to get out of the danger zone as soon as possible.  For that, I believe, there are few scenarios likely where you have to "kit up".  Have your daily carry and if you choose, a rifle, a couple of mags for the rifle easily accessible, and then extra kit to grab and go if you please.  Oh, and practice likely scenarios.  No live fire is necessary.  Just practice maneuvering around in your car, getting out and so forth.

Again, just my two cents.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Very good advice.  Down through the years, we have all been taught to "stand and deliver".  Then reality rears it's ugly head.  Within this context, of you in the middle of a riot, you are probably much better off "getting off the X" first, and then returning fire.  So yeah movement is key.  Also, we have been raised with stories of recon bubbas carrying 12+ mags n such.  Again and again I talk to people in gunfights who didn't go through more than 2-3 on average.  This is not to say your situation won't require more ammo, but that for planning purposes, 4-6 mags is a good starting point.

Good discussion.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:01:14 AM EDT
[#30]
I like where this thread is going.  

I bought the Ace Case mag pouch but I will probably use one or two of the sleeves for an IFAK and maybe a canteen or water purifier straw kinda thing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I bought the Ace Case mag pouch but I will probably use one or two of the sleeves for an IFAK and maybe a canteen or water purifier straw kinda thing.
View Quote
Pics of load out or it didn't happen!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#32]
I know people poo on Condor a lot.  They certainly have some shady pieces of gear but they have some good stuff as well.  I've got one of their microchest rigs I use for this purpose.  Granted it's covered in HSGI pouches but it's a simple Nylon panel with MOLLE/PALS webbing so I didn't see the  need to blow big bucks on it.

Condor Micro Chest panel
2x Rifle Taco
1x HSGI Blowout Pouch
1x HSGI ADMIN/Radio pouch containing one Baofeng BF-F8+

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ah...medical.  Forgot to mention.  Just from my experience overseas I've grown accustomed to keeping a tourniquet, Israeli bandage, and Adventures Medical Kit with Quick Clot in the drivers side door panel.  I also have the same in my "go bag" that's in the car.

Speaking of "go bag", all I keep is enough to get me home or stay the night if I become stranded.  I wear a suit daily so a change of close, pt shorts, tshirt, socks, pair of Merrell shoes (not boots), along with a some compact toiletries.   This is in addition to some "get home" stuff like medical, Cliff Bars, water bottles, and some more items beyond the realm of this thread.

Oh, and again from being overseas, I have travel versions of wet wipes everywhere.  Bags, glove box, etc.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I love using usgi bandoleers. I reinforce the stitching and adjust the shoulder strap. It's got four pockets for magazines but you can always put medical and water in two of those. Also if you use usgi mags you can fit two in each pouch.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:46:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ah...medical.  Forgot to mention.  Just from my experience overseas I've grown accustomed to keeping a tourniquet, Israeli bandage, and Adventures Medical Kit with Quick Clot in the drivers side door panel.  I also have the same in my "go bag" that's in the car.

Speaking of "go bag", all I keep is enough to get me home or stay the night if I become stranded.  I wear a suit daily so a change of close, pt shorts, tshirt, socks, pair of Merrell shoes (not boots), along with a some compact toiletries.   This is in addition to some "get home" stuff like medical, Cliff Bars, water bottles, and some more items beyond the realm of this thread.

Oh, and again from being overseas, I have travel versions of wet wipes everywhere.  Bags, glove box, etc.
View Quote
lol I keep a tourniquet in my door panel too!  Full IFAK in the passenger side rear door though so not quite as quick to access.  

Also have my old army boots and a dry pair of socks in my truck bed toolbox.  

I like how you think and may steal some of your other ideas.  Hope that's ok

And Dodge, pics incoming.  I don't have a spare tourniquet for the ace case yet so right now it's just stuffed with mags but in time I'll toss out a few mags for the other shit I mentioned earlier
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Pics

Some quick observations:

Pouch seems to be solidly built.  

Getting 2 mags per pocket was easy on the first side but on the other side, getting the second mag in was a pain.  Had to push the first mag towards the "outside" of the pocket and slide the second mag in closer to the center of the bag.  

Both mags don't sit flush, one is always slightly higher than the other mag.  
j
pouch (lying on its side) sits very flat.  Will easily fit under my backseat in my F150.  

So far Im happy with it.  Only complaint is the ridiculous shipping options they listed ($13 to ship it in a white USPS envelope kinda thing) were ridiculous.  But even  with that shipping price factored in, it was only like $31 so Im a happy customer.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#37]
got an old eagle RRV for my truck, thing is damn awesome.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Another approach is this item: BAE/Eclipse Mini Chest Rig.  Has a handle, because it's foldable.  Carries about 3 X 30-rd AR mags on the bottom, and your choice of 20-rd AR mags and/or pistol mags on the top. Pouches available at same site/vendor.  Quality is TOP-notch on all BAE/Eclipse gear.  Enough neck webbing to make it either shoulder-carried or chest-carried.

Or buy it already set up for 3 X 30-rd AR mags and 3 X Pistol mags of your choice BAE/Eclipse Mini chest Rig Ensemble.  Check out the site linked above for other colors camo.

I bought a number of these platforms, and I use them as a basis for Grab-n-Go ammo rigs.

Disclaimer: no financial interest.
View Quote
You posted a review of it a couple months ago, and it convinced me to pick one up for my truck. Super compact, easy to deploy, great value for the price. Came here to post it as a recommendation but you beat me to it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Do you carry a handgun as well? That would change things slightly.

Get a Crye Precision modular riggers belt (mrb). Very low profile and can be worn over a belt, or with the intergral inner belt through your belt loops of your pants.

Stick an IFAK on there, a rollup dump pouch, 9mm mag pouch to hold a flashlight  (if you want) and two Tyr tactical double mag shingles. One on the left side front and one on the right side front.

I use the MRB and I can't recommend it enough. Same with the Tyr kit.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Costa leg rig?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:43:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Right now I work 40 miles from home so I keep a full on GHB in my truck.  However, soon I will be working about 2 miles from home so that bag will go in the house and it will be replaced with a Midway bail out bag as seen earlier in this thread.  

Three AR mags, two glock happy sticks, some med supplies, wet wipes, leatherman, lighters, ect.  Nothing to crazy, and light enough to grab quickly and exit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top