Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2015 7:15:50 AM EDT
I am very very new to plates and carriers. I decided to pick up some stuff from the AR500armor.com because of their black Friday deal. However, I am not too sure how great the carrier is. Do any of you recommend some "must haves" for me to also purchase? Is anyone using this carrier or armor?

If any of you could provide me with links to where I should get a new carrier, please do so. I keep going to different websites and getting overwhelmed with options and brand names and I cannot even tell what would be appropriate to get. Mayflower? Crye? Eagle? PIG? Tactical Tailor?

THIS is what I ordered - I got the 6x8 side plates.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Lots of options.

To narrow it down, I'd stick with SKD and pick pretty much anything off of this page...

http://www.skdtac.com/Plate-Carriers-s/15309.htm
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:59:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Haha SKD is the exact site I get overwhelmed on. Is there a certain size that will not work with the plates I have coming to me from AR500? Thank you for your help!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:30:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Mayflower/ velocity, crye, SKD, first spear...all GTG

6x8 target steel side plates?   That is going to be pretty awful no matter which carrier you choose.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am very very new to plates and carriers. I decided to pick up some stuff from the AR500armor.com because of their black Friday deal. However, I am not too sure how great the carrier is. Do any of you recommend some "must haves" for me to also purchase? Is anyone using this carrier or armor?

If any of you could provide me with links to where I should get a new carrier, please do so. I keep going to different websites and getting overwhelmed with options and brand names and I cannot even tell what would be appropriate to get. Mayflower? Crye? Eagle? PIG? Tactical Tailor?

6x8 target steel side plates?   That is going to be pretty awful no matter which carrier you choose.

Should I not have gotten 6x8? Like I said, I am very new and could use some guidance for sure.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Should I not have gotten 6x8? Like I said, I am very new and could use some guidance for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you not get front and back plates?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I ordered front, back and side plates.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's saying it's going to be awful because it's so heavy. Plates suck. AR500 plates suck more, and adding side plates into the mix makes it an even more unpleasant experience.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:33:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Ares Armor Derma is good to go. Its available in 2 sizes (for plates), and has all the functionality/features you will ever need. Its pricier than some others but for good reason.

Plus its on sale now. I picked mine up this time last year.

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/DermaCarrier

You'll want these for your side plates
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:41:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

^^ Bingo.  The combination of those two elements will result in a non-wear.  That kind of weight and size on your sides is going to change (for the worse) the way the carrier rides.  6x8 is a big honkin side plate.   A 6x6 lightweight side plate that you will actually wear might be a better option than a "mini SAPI" 6x8 side that will be headed for the EE.

Take a read through this as well, cleans up a lot of things with regard to armor selection:  

Plate Armor 101

Hope this helps

AT

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's saying it's going to be awful because it's so heavy. Plates suck. AR500 plates suck more, and adding side plates into the mix makes it an even more unpleasant experience.

^^ Bingo.  The combination of those two elements will result in a non-wear.  That kind of weight and size on your sides is going to change (for the worse) the way the carrier rides.  6x8 is a big honkin side plate.   A 6x6 lightweight side plate that you will actually wear might be a better option than a "mini SAPI" 6x8 side that will be headed for the EE.

Take a read through this as well, cleans up a lot of things with regard to armor selection:  

Plate Armor 101

Hope this helps

AT

Thank you so much this has helped me a lot!! I will be checking out AT Armor
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:18:40 AM EDT
[#11]
There's no reason that you can't run your plate carrier without side plates ... just saying.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There's no reason that you can't run your plate carrier without side plates ... just saying.
View Quote

Ayup. If I'm not forced to wear them I won't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top