Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2015 3:32:25 PM EDT
Maybe I've missed other products that are similar, but I've been looking for a front/chest mounted kit bag to not only carry a pistol while hiking, but also the ability to carry other items that are vastly more accessible then what any backpack provides. The bag I wanted would not require a backpack to mount to its straps, but a fully independent chest bag, that could be securely worn alone or in conjunction with a backpack.

Items of interest to me other than a pistol may include a folding/fixed blade knife, a multi-tool, flashlight and so on.

After going through the Hill People Gear site, I ordered and recieved the Recon Kit Bag. It's smaller then some of their other models, but lower profile was important to me. Additionally, this particular model has MOLLE covering the front face of the bag, which adds significant modularity in the event I need to mount just about anything that wouldn't fit inside the bag, like additional smaller pouches....or stuff I may need faster access to like a knife.

Here's the bag in question:

The bag has 2 primary pouches. One main compartment which is where my pistol with reside. It'll fit my G19 easily as well as my HK45 which is as big of a pistol as I own, so its GTG with all my semi-autos. An extra mag or two would also fit.

The 2nd compartment is a smaller zip in front, that can hold smaller items. A phone, sun screen, batteries, compass....whatever. It has a few sectional pockets inside as well to keep certain items separate. Over all, exceptional design and quality.

The back of the bag looks like this:

This makes carrying the bag very comfortable/secure and as you can see, and wearing it with a backpack would be a piece of cake. (part of its design intent). I've already tried it with a backpack and the fit is flawless and extremely handy. It's one of those pieces of kit that once you have it, you can't imagine NOT having it going forward...it's that damn good.

I'm very jazzed about this bag as you can tell by now. The quality is fantastic, the functionality is a freakin bulls-eye for my purposes as well. This Recon Kit Bag fills a sorely needed niche in my gear and I couldn't recommend it more highly. Which brings me to the final thoughts about HPG as a company to do business with.

Like many here, I have a short list of vendors I do repeat business with. That has a LOT to do with CS, the quality of the gear, the timeliness of shipping and overall reliability and integrity of the company. Screw those things up and that vendor is done seeing my money. Period.

When I went to place my order, this bag in foliage was not available. Hey, it happens....no big deal. I was provided a link to be notified when it was available....which I set up late one night. The next morning at 8:30am I received an email from Scot at HPG telling me that he's on it, he'll be sure to let me know immediately once the bag was in stock and gave me his direct number for any questions. Very prompt and on the ball to say the least.

The very next day (morning) I received an email from them, telling me the bag is now available, with a link to order directly from, which I promptly did. 5 minutes later I got the emailed order confirmation which was followed an hour later with a shipping confirmation.

These people at HPG run a tight ship. Great communication, great service, exceptional product. My short list of GREAT companies is now one company longer.

Here are the details for the Recon Kit Bag:

The Recon Kit Bag includes the following features:

• 500d construction

• 8 channel / 3 row PALS grid

• quick access concealed pistol compartment

• comfortable mesh backed H-harness allows you to wear the Kit Bag by itself or underneath of a pack

• elastic keepers for the H-harness straps

• Velcro loop and dummy cord loop in pistol compartment allow for various retention options

• tabs with grimlocs at the top for hanging on another pack, or for use with Lifter Straps (optional) for docking to a host pack

• tabs on the bottom for attaching to another pack, or for use with the Stabilizer Kit (optional) for running with

• Front zippered access flat pocket with two interior slot pockets with dummy cord loops above them

• pro-tip: one of our GI 1qt bottle holsters mounted on the front of a Recon makes a dandy quick access binocular carrier.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I love mine.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I concur with your assessment of the
HPG Recon. I use it for CCW on
day hikes, primarily, but it's
comfortable enough to carry as
an EDC, if I found that necessary.

One of the nicest pieces of kit
that I have bought in a long time.
Design & execution are top
shelf.

Nice write up.

John
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#3]
It's been on my list of "I want one" items for awhile now.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't wait. And order
2 while you are at it.
I believe you will like
it that much.

John

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
HPG is slowly but surely invading my gear pile. Started with a Tarhumara pack, then got to looking at the Original Kit Bag, and ordered that to match the Tarahumara. Then they came out with the mid-sized Mountain Serape, and what do ya know, that matches the pack and kit bag, so...

It's like a slow-acting virus.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one too.  Mainly I use it for trail running with the dog.  It generally houses my I Phone, a Kershaw Skyline, bic lighter, Fox 40 whistle and my keys in the front pocket and the leash goes in the handgun pocket.  For the last six months I have run 3-5 miles 3 times a week like that and it has been great, in fact I can't imagine not running with it (I do have the secondary strap that you can buy separately.

I have hiked with my Sig P229 in there a couple of times and it did just fine too. It will see a bit more of that soon (hopefully) as it is way better than a hip holster that gets in the way of the waist belt on my backpack.

Only three slight issues:
I cant keep the slack on one of the straps contained, the strap keeper slips
I have a lot of pilling on my running shirt
The straps that go under my arms fucking reek! I have to wash them in Oxy clean weekly
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:32:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Don't wait. And order
2 while you are at it.
I believe you will like
it that much.

John

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Don't wait. And order
2 while you are at it.
I believe you will like
it that much.

John

Quoted:

Unfortunately, it'll have to wait until after I find a job and get back on my feet.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:42:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Good write up.

Any other comments with using this for primarily running? Does it stay put pretty well? Should I order the extra running strap from the get go?

Not a fast runner, and will be used to house a M&P Shield during my runs.

Thanks

Lookinup
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:25:05 AM EDT
[#9]
It falls into the category of an item I don't use that often but when I do use it, absolutely nothing does the job better.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Roger that.

Best of luck!

John

Quoted:

Unfortunately, it'll have to wait until after I find a job and get back on my feet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't wait. And order
2 while you are at it.
I believe you will like
it that much.

John

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Good write up.
Any other comments with using this for primarily running? Does it stay put pretty well? Should I order the extra running strap from the get go?
Not a fast runner, and will be used to house a M&P Shield during my runs.
Thanks
Lookinup
View Quote

You might like their Runners Bag. It's even more low profile. The extra strap/cord available for it attaches at the bottom corners and goes around your back to keep the bag from the additional bounce that runners probably would experience. So you'd have the H-harness that goes over the shoulders and around your mid section, and the runners strap would keep the bottom corners of the bag secure from bouncing when running.

The runners strap is an available accessory so you could just try the bag as is and if you need additional retention, you could always just order it. I don't think a gun as small as a Shield would bounce all that much but then again I don't use mine for running.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I have no need for such a device, but I appreciate the review nonetheless. The quality looks outstanding, and the execution looks well-planned.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#13]
One last point.

The MOLLE on this bag works like a charm for the Maxpedition Universal Sheath.

Just bought 2 in foliage for my Recon Kit Bag. Frees up room inside the bag and makes access to commonly used items far more friendly:

Right now they hold a multitool and a folding knife. Might get a 3rd for my Surefire E2D.

Fits perfect and bombproof retention. I've owned a LOT of nylon gear and have never owned any that are better made then Maxpedition gear. Great products, extremely well made.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the review!

I'm concerned about how it carries with a pack (I know y'all said great).

If anyone could post a pic with a pac on, that would be awesome.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Thanks for the review!

I'm concerned about how it carries with a pack (I know y'all said great).

If anyone could post a pic with a pac on, that would be awesome.

Thanks
View Quote

If you go to the Hill People Gear web page they have a lot of pics of their kit bags being worn with packs. If you scroll up in this thread notice the pic with the mesh backing on the Recon Kit, you can see it lays very flat and very breathable. Straps don't get in the way.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:55:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Serious question(s), not a dig or a troll attempt:

What is the role this product fits?  It is basically a fanny pack that you wear on your chest.  It's unusual looking enough that it draws attention in use as a CCW piece (granted you can't see what's inside).  It's small enough that its carrying capacity is extremely limited and adding pouches to the MOLLE would seem to make it a much more bulky system which would sort of obviate the low-profile/simplicity niche.

It is an interesting product that seems well made.  I was just thinking "what need does this fill?  Why would I use this over more traditional options?" and couldn't come up with anything compelling.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:23:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Packing a gun hiking. It looks like outdoor gear. It blends well with backpacks.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks, I checked that out... Found several good video reviews on YouTube as well.... Time to get out a credit card
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Serious question(s), not a dig or a troll attempt:
What is the role this product fits?  It is basically a fanny pack that you wear on your chest.  It's unusual looking enough that it draws attention in use as a CCW piece (granted you can't see what's inside).  It's small enough that its carrying capacity is extremely limited and adding pouches to the MOLLE would seem to make it a much more bulky system which would sort of obviate the low-profile/simplicity niche.
It is an interesting product that seems well made.  I was just thinking "what need does this fill?  Why would I use this over more traditional options?" and couldn't come up with anything compelling.
View Quote

I'll post a few pics of what mine carries and how I've set it up.

And a poster above stated its for outdoor/hiking use....so in respect to it looking like it might carry a gun, that's not an issue, as it's not designed to fool anyone as being some "grey man" piece of kit. It doesn't scream gun, but then again, if someone suspects it may have a pistol inside, I have no issue with that either. It's legal, concealed, and super fast to get to.

It's designed to carry small gear that can be accessed very quickly. Either by itself or in tandem with a pack.

Having certain items securely carried in the front at chest level, IMO, is extremely convenient. Perhaps not for everyone, but for my purposes, this thing fills a niche big time. From fishing, hiking, hunting, kayaking, climbing, shooting it stays put, never gets in the way, yet allows immediate access.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
 It is basically a fanny pack that you wear on your chest.
View Quote

I always refer to it as my tactical fanny pack. I couldn't find a better way to carry my phone and stuff when trail running with the dog, this thing doesn't move or chafe when I run and the limited things I have in there don't bounce too much.  Simple as that.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I always refer to it as my tactical fanny pack. I couldn't find a better way to carry my phone and stuff when trail running with the dog, this thing doesn't move or chafe when I run and the limited things I have in there don't bounce too much.  Simple as that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It also never gets in the way of any range of motion, particularly squatting or sitting (kayaking comes to mind for me, but by no means exclusive to that activity). It never rotates out of position, stays extremely secure, doesn't bounce around and in no way interferes with it being used in tandem with a backpack (particularly one with a waist belt). Additionally the MOLLE and grommets further add to its ability to adapt to wide range of attachments, or as a pouch mounted directly to a backpack.

So no, not really much like a fanny pack.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#22]
In regards to what a kit bag is for, I've not found a better way to carry a firearm while running than one of these.  I have the Runners' Kit Bag (no PALS webbing) and use it to carry my wallet, keys, phone, flashlight, and a pistol while running.  I can fit a full-sized duty pistol in there.  I usually use a Glock 17 with TLR-1s for that application.  When I'm out and about in hiking land, I pack a Colt 1911 w/TLR-1s.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:06:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I've got a snubby kit bag that my G43 goes in with an extra mag, IDs, phone, and key fob. It took some adjustment, but it stays put now. It really is a fantastically designed pack.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:58:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a Ranger Green Recon Kit Bag and a Grey Ripstop Runner's Kit Bag. Love them both. I wear my Recon just low enough on my chest to use my sternum strap. Never did like the idea of having it integrated to my packs.  It feels really natural there and I can still have on me if I need to drop my pack for whatever reason. I also like to where a jacket over it. I wear my Runners Kit Bag a little bit higher with a stabilizer strap pulled tightly. I carry a BHP in both just fine. The only thing I have done to my Runner's is add a little bit of duct tape on the inside where the pointy end of my reload mag sits just because the Ripstop isn't as thick as the 550d on the Recon.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I want one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top