Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2014 6:31:38 AM EDT
I just got this helmet off EBay (i know i know). It was listed as a Gentex ballistic helmet. It is very light and very thin compared to my ACH. The label says its a Combat Vehicle Crewman helmet, and it is indeed a ballistic helmet. I know some CVC stuff is only rated for shrapnel or whatever, because they are already inside a protected vehicle. Is this just a really light weight helmet, or does it offer a lower ballistic rating? Any help would be great. thanks.
ETA- its about 1/4" thick.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:41:49 AM EDT
[#1]
a modded cvc shell (prior armor crewmans helmet).
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#2]
If I remember correctly, I believe the one you should have gotten was the CVC DH 132-B, which is Kevlar and similar in protection to the PASGT helmet. I believe the one you got is just a fiberglass shell, the CVC DH 132-A. What did you pay for it?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:45:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I think there were 3 models a fiberglass, a light kevlar and heavy kevlar?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think there were 3 models a fiberglass, a light kevlar and heavy kevlar?
View Quote

You're right, the fiberglass one is incredibly thin and isn't labeled ballistic.  I don't know the difference in the rating between the A model and B model but the B model is thicker.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:55:06 AM EDT
[#5]
OP's looks like a kevlar weave, might be the thin version.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:56:58 AM EDT
[#6]
its definitely kevlar (i think-it says ballistic shell). it sure looks like it. could it be the  light kevlar model? what exactly would that mean?
i paid $200. i figure its worth it anyway just for the Wilcox shroud and accessory rails. i really only plan on using it for head mounting my NVG anyway, so the lightweight is prob a good thing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#7]
The ballistic rating is not as high. Doesn't seem to be a bad deal as long as all the parts aren't airsoft knock offs.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#8]
It doesn't look like it. it has new Skydex pads, and the mount definitely says Wilcox on it (not sure if the airsoft ones go that far or not). the harness seems good, and brand new. the rails don't have any writing on them, so I'm not sure. Any idea on the ballistic rating on the lightweight kevlar? probably around 2A?

http://i.imgur.com/XcFCddN.jpg
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:45:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I've read it somewhere before, i just don't recall off the top of my head
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#10]
my wilcox is a lot more "brown" than that...
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#11]
i just did some Googleing, and found the EXACT same shroud with the same part number on it on an air-soft site for $16! it specifically said it came with a Wilcox shroud in the ad. I'm sure the  rails are fake too. Time to message the dirtbag seller. He even drilled new holes to mount the rails, and moved the chinstraps to the new holes. So now there are 4 holes in the helmet for no reason. EBAY!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Edit*

The thing about e-bay is unless you ask you can't be pissed at what you buy.
First thing, the 132A is the old version and should have been a 132B (Different Kevlar Ratings)

the 132B Is NIJ Level IIIA rating. I think the 132A Is a IIA, I know it's rated less than the Bravo and that was the significant upgrade.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the replies. When I bought it I thought it was just a high cut ballistic helmet. I didn't realize it was even a CVC helmet.  I try to only buy new on EBay, and this is why.
I initiated a claim with the seller, so we'll see how it goes. I would be ok with a $100 refund I guess. That way I would have a decent lightweight NV helmet for my PVS for $100. If the mount breaks I can spend another $80 or whatever and get a real Wilcox shroud. It's not like I'm a LEO  or anything, and I'm certainly not taking it to war. I just want to know I got what I paid for (and what he said I was getting), and if the SHTF I want to know what I have on my head.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:01:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Update- the seller swears it's all the real deal. She (I believe) was VERY rude and was throwing exclamation marks around enough that  I'm pretty sure she was yelling at me. I know it's all fake stuff on the helmet, and her other auctions have air soft stuff for sale. (She actually told me she got the helmet from Gentec the way it is, I mean come on!) so I'm going to start a new thread and see if anyone knows how to tell the difference between a fake Wilcox W shroud and the real one. Even if it's real, it's made for a bump helmet, but that's ok I guess.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:41:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Sure souonds like she got caught in a fib. Tell her you called Gentex and they said they don;t sell this model
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#17]
shoot it with a 22 from like 60 feet, if there's a hole its fiberglass.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I will add that shell was made in 1985 or thereabouts, in other words OLD... And CVC.. hope you get your money back..
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:46:54 AM EDT
[#19]
UPDATE- The seller has agreed to give me my money back (EBay was going to make her if she didn't). She said to send it back and "as soon as she inspects it for damage, she will refund my money". I'm a little worried she is going to find something wrong with it to try and get out of giving me a refund, but we'll see. I'm sending it out today, I'll post an update if and when I get my money back.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:15:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
UPDATE- The seller has agreed to give me my money back (EBay was going to make her if she didn't). She said to send it back and "as soon as she inspects it for damage, she will refund my money". I'm a little worried she is going to find something wrong with it to try and get out of giving me a refund, but we'll see. I'm sending it out today, I'll post an update if and when I get my money back.
View Quote

Take lots of photos of the helmet, and also of the packaging before you send it off.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Good thinking! I should probably send it with a signature required too, so she can't say she didn't get it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good thinking! I should probably send it with a signature required too, so she can't say she didn't get it.
View Quote

yup
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I finally got my refund today! I'm off to buy a Team Wendy from TNVC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top