Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2009 6:09:23 PM EDT
Hi all.
I am interested in finding a good pair of boots. I mainly want them for work, but since the weather here is about to turn to absolute shit for the next 6-7 months i also would like something i can wear outside of work that looks decent in normal clothing. I would like some that are lite and comfortable that allow you to move around easily. I work in a few bad neighborhoods so something i can run in would be nice in case i have to chase the cocksucker breaking into my vehicle or avoid getting stabbed by that same cocksucker. Most "work boots" feel like i have bricks tied to my feet. I am not really looking for work boots, just a good set of boots be it hikers or otherwise. I read a lot about the oakley SI assault boots being almost like wearing running shoes and i found some at a decent price with a great return policy so i picked them up. They feel great and i could probably go jogging in them, but i feel like they look a bit goofy, and for the price they should be waterproof. I showed them to a few buddies and after receiving more than one comment about desert storm being over, i dont want to be that guy every time i step out of the house. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I swear by Vasque Sundowner classics with Superfeet Green Insoles.  The boots are far more durable than most tactical boots I've encountered, look good with jeans or khakis, have a Goretex liner, are are just plain light weight and comfortable.  I think a lot of people overlook insoles, but they can be a great investment, and when you think about it, your feet are your only really 100% reliable transportation.

Link Posted: 10/14/2009 1:20:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a pair of 6" 5.11 ATAC boots about 2 years ago for work. They've worn incredibly well over that period with acceptable wear at the heel. In addition, they're easily the most comfortable boot I've worn. I've found them to wear very well when not at work too.

Trust me. If they looked goofy for regular wear, my wife would not have hesitated to let me know.

Waterproof, not too expensive (paid $100 for the 6" boots, 8" are maybe $30 more expensive) and very comfortable.

At the very least check em out.

Oh yeah, they also seem to have pretty good wet traction. Although I don't know how they'll do where you're at.

Edit: Looks like the 8" boots have a side zipper, so apparently they're not waterproof.

At any rate, 5.11 should be a good place to start.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 2:23:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I swear by Vasque Sundowner classics with Superfeet Green Insoles.  The boots are far more durable than most tactical boots I've encountered, look good with jeans or khakis, have a Goretex liner, are are just plain light weight and comfortable.  I think a lot of people overlook insoles, but they can be a great investment, and when you think about it, your feet are your only really 100% reliable transportation.

Completely agree on both boots and insoles...

On the insoles make sure you size the boots with insoles in mind..I usually take a pair of insoles (they are in all my shoes and boots) with me and the insoles mentioned above...top notch..
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 6:30:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been running the Rocky SV2 boots for 6 months of daily use and I couldn't be happier.  Great support, vibram sole, feels like a sneaker with boot support.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Try llbean cresta These are great boots
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a pair ov Vasque Newbriers in 1994. I still have them, although they're almost in need of resoling.  I bought a pair of Sundowners in 1998, and they are not nearly as comfortable, but are in better shape.

Link Posted: 10/14/2009 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for the info gentlemen. I am going to do some hardcore internet window shopping as soon as i get time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 12:46:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I am still recommending the Vasques I mentioned earlier, but I just got a pair of OTB Thor Boots in camel/black.  Can't say much about durability yet, but I've been wearing them for a day and they're very comfortable.  I suspect they won't be as warm or dry when winter comes.
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've been running the Rocky SV2 boots for 6 months of daily use and I couldn't be happier.  Great support, vibram sole, feels like a sneaker with boot support.

How is the material (lycra?) on the tongue holding up?  Any signs of wear?
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#10]
FWIW I hated the oakley boots in the field
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am still recommending the Vasques I mentioned earlier, but I just got a pair of OTB Thor Boots in camel/black.  Can't say much about durability yet, but I've been wearing them for a day and they're very comfortable.  I suspect they won't be as warm or dry when winter comes.

Mmmmm sausage laces.... Those thor boots might be what im looking for. They appear to be pretty lightweight . Id like to hear your thoughts on them after you wear them a bit more. I am returning the oakleys. Not quite my cup of tea.
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
FWIW I hated the oakley boots in the field

DITTO, garrison they were great..
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone know how the Merrell Sawtooth sizes run in relation to military issue Bellevilles? I'm thinking about picking up a pair. Heard good things about them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 4:25:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does anyone know how the Merrell Sawtooth sizes run in relation to military issue Bellevilles? I'm thinking about picking up a pair. Heard good things about them.

I found them to be comparable.  I wore Sawtooths in Afghanistan for a couple of years.  A colleague who wore them in Iraq said the extreme heat caused the soles to separate from the upper, but that didn't happen to me.  They can be very warm in the summer.  All in all, a good boot.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 4:27:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mmmmm sausage laces.... Those thor boots might be what im looking for. They appear to be pretty lightweight . Id like to hear your thoughts on them after you wear them a bit more. I am returning the oakleys. Not quite my cup of tea.

So far so good, though I think I'll replace the sausage laces with regular laces.  The boots have D-rings at the top, rather than hooks, and the sausage laces make putting them on a bit of a chore.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far so good, though I think I'll replace the sausage laces with regular laces.  The boots have D-rings at the top, rather than hooks, and the sausage laces make putting them on a bit of a chore.

I found a review of the Thor boot at Military Morons near the bottom of the page.
They sound exactly like what im looking for. Did you order direct from OTB? If so how quick were they on shipping?
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I did order direct from OTB.  Shipping was quick - I'm in Afghanistan right now, and the package was about 10 days from OTB to me via USPS.

ETA - I agree with everything MM wrote in his review.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top