Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2009 10:10:56 AM EDT
Ok, here it is, finally.  Such as it is.

I pulled a bunch of product off the shelves, stuffed them with wadded newspaper and took pictures.  I have pics of the HAWG v HAWG 500 and MULE v MULE 500, but honestly there is not enough difference between them to really see in pictures.  

I did not have a "standard" BFM to compare to the BFM 500, but the basic difference is the addition of the upper pockets on the sides, and the "swap" of the two back pockets...the larger outer pocket was at the top, with a smaller rectangular pocket below that.  Basically, take the "standard" Motherlode, and add a rectangular pocket below that, and you should have an idea.  Weights below are empty, no water, and the volume (cubic inches) is cargo only.

Specs:
BFM: 21 in x 13 in x 10 in /  2551 c.i. cargo / 5.88 lbs empty (no water)
BFM 500: 21.5 x 13.5 x 14.5in / 3142 c.i. cargo / 4.6 lbs empty (no water)

Motherlode:    19 in x 13 in x 8 in / 2143 c.i. / 4.88 lbs
Motherlode 500:  20 in x 14.5 in x 13.5 in / 2592 cu in /  4.47 lbs

Trizip:  20 x 13 x 11.5 in / 1917 c.i. / 4.89 lbs  (this is info on the tag...marketing materials say it's 2,318 c.i.)

HAWG:   1099 c.i. /   (I don't have any other specs on it...pulled this from the website and I have none in stock so can't check tags)
HAWG 500:  20 in x 10.5 in x 12 in / 1291 cu in / 2.64 lbs

MULE : 18.5 x 10 x 5 / 540 c.i. / 2.27 lbs
MULE 500:  18 in x 10 in x 6 in / 492 cu in / 2.10 lbs

BFM 500 v Motherlode 500

They are that much different in size, physically, unlike the impression this picture gives.  Remember that the BFM 500 has pockets on the sides, so it wasn't as close to the wall as the Motherlode 500.  Since it was closer to the camera, the BFM-500 looks much larger than the ML-500.  While it is a bit bigger, it's not as dramatic as the image suggests.

Motherlode 500 v Motherlode

Link Posted: 7/25/2009 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Motherlode 500 v Trizip

Trizip v HAWG 500 v MULE 500

Link Posted: 7/25/2009 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Disclaimer;  No financial interest.

Link Posted: 7/25/2009 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Disclaimer;  No financial interest.

Let me explain.  When I post a recommendation about a company, I'm aware of my position here as Sr.Staff.  Now, some folks might not care one way or the other, but I've never accepted a cent or a piece of gear on account of my position here.  I've had Members here offer me stuff for postage only, and I've refused their kind offer, and paid them market price plus postage.

So, if I post a recommendation, based on my personal, hands-on, bought-for-my-own-use item, I think you all ought to know that NOBODY ever pays for my opinion.  Period.  That's what the "Disclaimer" is all about.

Tell you what;  Mebbe you should ask somebody touting a bit of gear if they have any connection to the vendor/producer.

I can say this for sure:  This site is rampant with folks that get sweetheart deals on gear and then, somehow, post glowing reviews of same.

Mebbe you all should ask these guys what their connection is to the mfr/vendor.  If they don't post a disclaimer, asI I did, then maybe they stand to make some money out of their reviews.  Maybe not, but asking them up-fromt might be interesting.

oh i get it. i just thought that it was amusing.
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought it was pretty apparent that I sell this stuff because of

a) my use of the phrase "I pulled a bunch of product off the shelves, stuffed them with wadded newspaper and took pictures" in my first post
b) many/most folks who use this particular forum know I run an online gear dealership.  It's not a secret, and never has been.

However, since

c) I am not a paid advertiser
d) I don't go around saying "Hey, I sell this stuff, buy it from me", ever, posting a disclaimer would seem
e) counterproductive to my desire not to shit all over those who DO pay to be an advertiser here.

People in another thread had been wanting comparison pictures of different Camelbaks, especially the Trizip.  I don't know of anyone who could do this AND not be a dealer of some sort.  I suppose being a dealer means I get  a "sweetheart deal" on the gear, but I pay for it all out of my own pocket, just like you.  Additionally, my comparison doesn't purport to be anything "touting" how good or bad Camelbak is compared to anything else.  It's comparing Camelbak X with Camelbak Y.

So, fine.  If you want a disclaimer, here it is:

I sell Camelbak products. Take my comparison pictures for what they were intended to be, comparison pictures.  

Sorry I even bothered.
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

a) my use of the phrase "I pulled a bunch of product off the shelves, stuffed them with wadded newspaper and took pictures" in my first post
b) many/most folks who use this particular forum know I run an online gear dealership.  It's not a secret, and never has been.

However, since

d) I don't go around saying "Hey, I sell this stuff, buy it from me", ever, posting a disclaimer would seem
e) counterproductive to my desire not to shit all over those who DO pay to be an advertiser here.

People in another thread had been wanting comparison pictures of different Camelbaks, especially the Trizip.  I don't know of anyone who could do this AND not be a dealer of some sort.  I suppose being a dealer means I get  a "sweetheart deal" on the gear, but I pay for it all out of my own pocket, just like you.  Additionally, my comparison doesn't purport to be anything "touting" how good or bad Camelbak is compared to anything else.  It's comparing Camelbak X with Camelbak Y.

I sell Camelbak products. Take my comparison pictures for what they were intended to be, comparison pictures.  

Sorry I even bothered.

i don't think it was you tim...
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

However, since

Sorry I even bothered.

Tim, I personally really appreciate the comparison shots. I know that it takes time to set everything up, take the photos, host them and then write the post with the detailed specs. If you read the post it is pretty obvious that you aren't trying to sell these bags to us, just sharing information. It seems to me that the "financial disclaimer" has been a hot topic of late and everyone seems pretty keyed on it. Just roll with it bud, I for one respect the fact that you spent your own time to share the information without any "sales push".  Thanks for the post.

Skiddy
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

However, since

Sorry I even bothered.

Tim, I personally really appreciate the comparison shots. I know that it takes time to set everything up, take the photos, host them and then write the post with the detailed specs. If you read the post it is pretty obvious that you aren't trying to sell these bags to us, just sharing information. It seems to me that the "financial disclaimer" has been a hot topic of late and everyone seems pretty keyed on it. Just roll with it bud, I for one respect the fact that you spent your own time to share the information without any "sales push".  Thanks for the post.

Skiddy

+1. made me revisit the tri-zip thread.

eta: the tactical industry should take a bit better look at civilian packs. and this is coming from my lshd couch, and i'm sure i'll get blasted for it. I'd love to see a military version of my Osprey Exos 58. it seems to be the same size as the trizip, but is rated at 3500ci. apparently from what i'm reading the tri-zip is around 2800. even the erblestock stuff maxes out at around 3000. kirafu has some good stuff, but is damned expensive.

IMO: my dream 3 day pack is a pack that weighs in around 4-5lbs, covered in pals channels, external AirSpeed Suspension, top loader, and of course multicam; and in the sub-$300 range.

I looked through the 3 day pack resource and other threads, and i see my fellow civilians craming TONS of clothing into these packs, but it's not leaving any room for ammo, shelters, sleep systems, cook kits, etc. carrying a 7-10 diameter sleep mat (once rolled) is completely unacceptable. yeah it's quick, but i can deploy a big agnes air core (self inflating) matress just as quickly as it takes you to unroll that beast and get it flat.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 12:14:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 5:14:40 AM EDT
[#11]
and here I was liking the pics..........
anyways, what color is that webbing that they use on those other multicam packs ? is it that odd, pinkish-tan ?
glad they went with full on Coyote brown on my Tri-zip  and yeah matching pals would be better yet
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#12]
RAF,

Thanks for the explanation and apology...gladly accepted.  I completely understand the 'stepping on toes' of paying industry members and dealer, which is why I take great pains NOT to be overt or blatant about this stuff unless someone asks, or someone makes references to me.  Having been a paying advertiser here, and on other boards, I would never begrudge someone doing what I am currently doing, but to actively come here to promote their store and items, yeah, I would.  So I always try to remember that.

BB68
The webbing was likely left over from the time they were doing everything in 3-Color Desert Camo (still a few things in that, but not many at all).  So instead of tossing it and losing money, they use it with MultiCam.  Sucks, IMO, especially since many companies are now using the colored webbing (ACU and MC) on their items.  Camelbak is doing this on a couple of ACU packs, but that's because it came online around the time of Foliage Green, so they didn't get too deep into the FG webbing before the other became available.  Since both FG and ACU sell well, there wasn't much/as much of a chance of "spoilage" as with the tan/pink-tan webbing they use on MC currently.  Hopefully they run out of that soon.  :)
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Tim, What is all this "500" stuff? Is it just a different line? What is the difference?
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I have to look at that Trizip a different way now. I wanted to consider it a replacement for my daily/BOB but it holds slightly less so cost/benefit doesn't fall in my favor. I do agree that CB has the best selection for everyone out there when it comes to products, hell they are the original. I might consider the Trizip as a dedicated trunk BOB for my truck though, round enough and big enough to fit in my storage box with ease.

Thanks for the work in putting this comparison together
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Tim, What is all this "500" stuff? Is it just a different line? What is the difference?

Made from 500D Cordura vs. 1000D of the original military line.  Lighter weight, more flexible, allows for them to do some things that would be difficult with 1000D, such as the small fleece-lined pockets.

SOTech is using 500D for a lot of their pouches, and they've found that the strength and abrasion resistance is about 75-80% as good as 1000D for about a 30% weight decrease.  As you can see in the specs listed above, the sizes tend to be a bit bigger for the same amount of weight.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Made from 500D Cordura vs. 1000D of the original military line.  Lighter weight, more flexible, allows for them to do some things that would be difficult with 1000D, such as the small fleece-lined pockets.

SOTech is using 500D for a lot of their pouches, and they've found that the strength and abrasion resistance is about 75-80% as good as 1000D for about a 30% weight decrease.  As you can see in the specs listed above, the sizes tend to be a bit bigger for the same amount of weight.

I was starting to suspect that might be it. I really like the look and idea of the tri-zip, but I already have too many backpacks.

Link Posted: 7/26/2009 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have to look at that Trizip a different way now. I wanted to consider it a replacement for my daily/BOB but it holds slightly less so cost/benefit doesn't fall in my favor. I might consider the Trizip as a dedicated trunk BOB for my truck though, round enough and big enough to fit in my storage box with ease.

while true, where the tri-zip 'shines' is that it's torso adjustable-you can custom fit it to you. those other packs just hang off your shoulders.
YMMV

oh and you can add pouches to it to hold more if needed.

get both
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 5:26:43 AM EDT
[#18]
resurrected thread...

Indeed the tr-zip is nice that it has great adjust-ability of the torso but if it was just a bit bigger, I sold mine in hopes the TAD FAST Pack would be the end all...it's not, I miss my tri-zip but need more room...where is the perfect pack...I will in all likely hood be going back to the Camelbak line..... Can't beat the features and construction..
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 6:00:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I heart my Motherlode. I use it everyday for work
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top