Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2009 1:45:40 PM EDT
Original Special Operations Equipment (OSOE) has put out a new rig that I thought I'd do a simple show and tell on until I can do a true review.  This rig is designed to work primarily with AK mags, but can be made to work with AR mags if you don't mind them sitting low, or you can find something light to put inside the pouch to push the AR mags up some.  It will work with Bulgarian Circle 10's or stamped metal from other countries.  It has 4 x 2 mag pouches with velcro top closures and 2 rows of PALS on the front of each.  Behind that is an admin area that is lined with a strip of velcro so you can attach other gear, a hook lined holster, or what ever else you can think of.  It closes with velcro.  To either side is a pouch that has a simple bungie retention, is lined with velcro, and has 4 rows of PALS.  You can use these as more admin, a simple holster with no other equipment, BOK, radio pouch, just about anything.  It comes with an H-harness that is adjustable on all axis, including across the shoulders via velcro.  The left strap has 2 elastic loops that are designed form TQ's, but can be used as a hydro-tube guide.

So far I'm very happy with this rig.  I've run ESSTAC Boar, SKD/Eagle Universal, Eagle LE Armor carrier w/ plates, and now this.  This is by far the most comfortable, bombproof rig I've owned.  It's expandable enough for most guys while not being bulky or overly heavy for what it does.  Since I run just mags, radio, smoke, VOK, multitool, small folder, and a light, this is all I need.  A friend just finished taking Tactical Response's HRCC 5 day course using one of these and it held up to everything they could throw at it.  Quality is top notch.  Price is a little steep, but for what you get, I was ok with it.  It certainly not for everyone, but for those of us that train a lot and run a lot of drills, or anyone that wants top quality gear, this is a rig you should look into.

Rig as worn.  Notice pouch flap on left pouch in picture.

Mags pulled up to show 2 mags per pouch.  The lids are adjustable for height if needed.

Front as worn.  I prefer it to ride a little high to clear my 1st line.

Left side as worn.  I wear my ATS small med pouch on the left so that my pistol draw is not inhibited by the VoK being in the way.

Rear as worn.  Notice strap across shoulder is adjustable.

Right side as worn.

Inside admin pouch behind mags.  Lots of room to put chem lights, maps, a holster, pistol mags, etc.

Inside the side pouch.  Notice velcro and simple bungie retention.

One of the integral side pouches set up as a holster for a Glock 19.  You can also add hook to a Kydex holster if you needed and it would hold nicely.

That's about it.  If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

All pics removed due to tinypic changing images...VA-gunnut
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#1]
How well does it hold the mags in place? Looking at your side pics they don't seem very secure. What I mean is the pouches look a little shallow and the flaps dont seem to really contact the mags but on the very tip of the bottom on the mag. Looks like 20 rounders may work better IMO. How does it carry with 8 thirty rounders in there? It's gotta be heavy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The flaps just aren't pulled down all the way.  If you look close at the 4th pic, you can make out the edge of the velcro on the pouch lid.  There's plenty of room there to pull it all the way down against the mags.  Yes, if you pull them straight down, they will touch MAINLY the point of the mag.  However, the lids are adjustable for heighth, so if you want to close them at an angle directly flat across the bottom of the mag, you can do so.  As for the pouches themselves, the mags are in there very snugly.  With two Circle 10's, I had to put one in, then slide the next behind it.  It wasn't hard, but they certainly aren't going to jump out in a bounding drill either.  Weight, to me, is a none issue.  After a while carrying even four mags get old.  I don't have an issue with the weight.  I don't know the total weight, but a 30 round AK mag weighs something like 1.2 or 1.3 lbs.  So we're talking 10 or 12 lbs.  Add a bladder on the back and all the other gear, you're probably carrying 25 or 30 total lbs, even distributed.  That is much less than a CIRCAS with IIIA panels and some LVL IV plates, plus all your mags and shit.  It's a matter of taste I suppose.  

Here's what they look like adjusted for heighth...

The pouch lid removed from the pouch.  You can see the closure velcro to the right, and the extra at the bottom that can be removed for custom fitting

This is the beginning of how you adjust anything that is held in place by velcro.  This works for any manufacturer.  Start with paper or cardboard and put it in between the hook and the loops.

Paper in place in the pouch.

Lid in place in the pouch.

The finished adjustment compared to the first set of pics.  There is still room to adjust if you needed to set this up for AR mags.  Notice it is pulled straight down (more or less) over the point of the mags.

Here is the lid pulled diagonal across the floor plates.

Front view of the lids adjusted and pulled flat across floorplates.  The left one I fixed after the picture was taken.

View of all four pulled flat across floorplates.  They are SNUG and not going anywhere.

All pics removed due to tinypic changing images...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 5/10/2009 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#3]
What are those yellow things on your top left shoulder?
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#4]
That is a Cav Arms Tourniquet.  Best on the market if you ask me.  As useful as a CAT or SOC-C with metal bar, but cheaper.  You can get them directly from Cav Arms, where they have a shit ton of medical supplies for BoKs, First responder bags, etc, and Tactical Response Gear that I know of for sure.  I'm sure there are lots of other places as well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Ahh.. i like multi use tools like a cravat and a stick as a tourniquet. Nice looking vest though. Did you mention the cost?
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude, shave your pits.  Like the rig, Is it front heavy at all?
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think it's very front heavy, no more than 15 or so pounds usually feels on your chest, I suppose.  The H-harness really keeps the weight close to your center of gravity.  Also why I like it up high, down by my abdomen it can really start to pull you forward.

ETA: I *KNEW* someone was going to mention the pits.  LOL.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ahh.. i like multi use tools like a cravat and a stick as a tourniquet. Nice looking vest though. Did you mention the cost?

Can you do a stick and cravat one handed in the dark in gear?  That's what's great about these type of TQ's.  They CAN be used that way.  That's how I practice them.  

Sticks and cravats are a great skill to know, but under fire, one handed, blood squirting....fuck that.  

I can do a thread showing how to use one of these if anyone needs me too.  You guys REALLY need to know how to use this type of TQ.

Link Posted: 5/11/2009 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I dunno, i have always had 2 hands :)
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Soooooooo.....what's the price?
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 12:30:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Soooooooo.....what's the price?

$300 minus the pouches I have mounted, which is comparable to most other top quality gear makers.

Link Posted: 5/11/2009 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#12]
$300 gets me a chest rig that holds 6 rifle mags, map pouch and a "holster"/ comm pouch? I have some decent gear but personally i think it's a bit on the high side for something for a simple chest rig. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, to clarify your statement, it's 8 mags and 2 sizes of util/misc pouches (2 small and 1 main), but yes, your statement is mostly correct.  The H-harness is not generally considered "free" with any rig and most gear makers, especially custom or small shop (HSGI, ATS, ESS) don't include them.  

If you're good with TT, BH!, or even Condor, good for you.  I'm glad you've found gear that works for you.  However, some of us get dragged through the mud by our straps and I prefer to keep my equipment on me at the end of the day.  The afore mentioned manufacturers don't always perform.  

In this case, you get what you pay for.  Watch this vid (NSFW or children).  It should speak for the quality.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well, to clarify your statement, it's 8 mags and 2 sizes of util/misc pouches (2 small and 1 main), but yes, your statement is mostly correct.  The H-harness is not generally considered "free" with any rig and most gear makers, especially custom or small shop (HSGI, ATS, ESS) don't include them.  

Not standard, but if you want it they'll get it to ya free.

Just wanted to clarify.. Back to your regularly scheduled thread..

CXS
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 4:13:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you're good with TT, BH!, or even Condor, good for you.  I'm glad you've found gear that works for you.  However, some of us get dragged through the mud by our straps and I prefer to keep my equipment on me at the end of the day.  The afore mentioned manufacturers don't always perform.  

In this case, you get what you pay for.  Watch this vid (NSFW or children).  It should speak for the quality.  

I questioned value for money in a review of a product and you pull some passive aggressive bullshit insult? Son, unless YOU built that rig , it's just another piece of gear. Not everyone will like it. When someone questions the value of a piece gear and your response is attacks on their level of training and quality of their gear , perhaps questioning their level of professionalism . That tells me a lot on how you roll.  Thanks for the review and reminding why i spend more time over at 10-8.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 4:48:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's kind of stupid if you ask me, but i'm no expert.  I don't think i'd blow shit up on my person.

That wasn't directed towards you Paulie, I understand why they did the demo in the video, but come on.  I like how the one dude runs when he lights it up, but it's cool that his bud has it on his chest.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 7:13:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I questioned value for money in a review of a product and you pull some passive aggressive bullshit insult? Son, unless YOU built that rig , it's just another piece of gear. Not everyone will like it. When someone questions the value of a piece gear and your response is attacks on their level of training and quality of their gear , perhaps questioning their level of professionalism . That tells me a lot on how you roll.  Thanks for the review and reminding why i spend more time over at 10-8.

Listen here, "Son", I don't know where you're getting a "passive-aggressive" tone from what I wrote, but THANK YOU for reminding me why I shouldn't post reviews of this sort on open forums.  You are correct, I didn't build it, and questioning the value from your perspective is very much warranted (especially when you get the fucking components correct).  I did not attack your level of training or the quality of your gear.  I simply pointed out that there are people who do not need or want the same type and quality of gear.  If you take that as a shot against you personally, harden the fuck up and stop whining.  "Questioning their professionalism?"  Come on dude, WTF?  If you think you can figure me out in a single forum post, FOAD.  The tone of my post was not intended to be condescending or insulting.  Try reading it with out that stick in your ass and your panties in a wad.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 7:14:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's kind of stupid if you ask me, but i'm no expert.  I don't think i'd blow shit up on my person.

That wasn't directed towards you Paulie, I understand why they did the demo in the video, but come on.  I like how the one dude runs when he lights it up, but it's cool that his bud has it on his chest.

No worries, Spitfire.  I thought it was a dumb move too, and I don't know how other gear makers stuff holds up to that very scientific test, but if nothing else you know this gear will hold up to a LARGE tube firework in your pouch.

Plus those dudes are nuts anyways.  I'm surprised they didn't try it naked...

Link Posted: 5/12/2009 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No worries, Spitfire.  I thought it was a dumb move too, and I don't know how other gear makers stuff holds up to that very scientific test, but if nothing else you know this gear will hold up to a LARGE tube firework in your pouch.

Plus those dudes are nuts anyways.  I'm surprised they didn't try it naked...

IIRC it was a 1.5" Star-Burst Firework Mortar.
I'd like to test this out on Multiple Gear Manufactures Pouches. They are all made with 1000d cordura, its the stitching that will be put to the test.
Hell when July comes around I'll have accessibility to 4" 6" and 8" Mortars.. This might be a fun Experiment.
Just not wearing it. If I do though, I'll make sure to be naked..

CXS
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#20]
CXS, if you do that test naked, just make sure you put a NSFW tag on the thread title, please.

ETA: were you there for the test?  I know it was a large HRCC course...
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Haha what happened to the pics?
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Haha what happened to the pics?

Link Posted: 12/12/2012 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#23]
What in the shit
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#24]
My mind is full of f^ck right now!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Good write up!!!!!!!!!! Love the pics.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#26]
In.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Whoa! What am I looking at?
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#28]
How does a thread that's 3 years old get bumped out of archive?
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Whoa! What am I looking at?

In for the answers

Link Posted: 12/12/2012 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

How does a thread that's 3 years old get bumped out of archive?

When it goes from "neat writeup" to "holy fucking out of context", magic happens.

Link Posted: 12/12/2012 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#32]
This thread is going places now...
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Too bad about the pics
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#34]

The Champ is Here...!!!

Link Posted: 12/12/2012 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#35]
disregard
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#36]
(Not relevant)
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 4:19:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Evidently I deleted the pics from tinypic when I cleaned up my folder earlier this year.

What I want to know is why exactly a mod brought this thread out of archives for no reason?  Just because the pics were wrong?  Or because it's a SOE thread and many people on this board hate John?

Seems highly irregular to me...

ETA:  As a 3 year update to the OP, I sold this rig in favor of OSOEs Microrig.  I now have a Multicam M4/AK Microrig and an OD .308 Microrig.  You all should get one.  They're just about perfect.
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 4:59:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 5:17:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I want to know is why exactly a mod brought this thread out of archives for no reason?  

Finslayer83 is not a mod......

Can anyone bring a thread back to life by simply posting on it?  I've never tried, so I don't know.  I thought only mods could resurrect threads from archives.
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 5:20:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 5:25:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Evidently I deleted the pics from tinypic when I cleaned up my folder earlier this year.

What I want to know is why exactly a mod brought this thread out of archives for no reason?  Just because the pics were wrong?  Or because it's a SOE thread and many people on this board hate John?

Seems highly irregular to me...

ETA:  As a 3 year update to the OP, I sold this rig in favor of OSOEs Microrig.  I now have a Multicam M4/AK Microrig and an OD .308 Microrig.  You all should get one.  They're just about perfect.

I think you should check yourself.

Your thread was never in the archive, because someone set it so the thread would not go there. They did this because they felt the information was worth preserving.

Someone must of found your thread, and realized your pictures had been changed at some point. Probably because you used tinypic without an account, and they recycle those links every so often. So the thread was bumped with a question, and then others decided to push the issue (without reporting it I might add) and the images were edited out.

Maybe I should lock people who have this issue, because they didn't keep up with the pictures they posted here.

Apologies for speaking out of turn on the mod issue.  I wasn't aware the thread was active for over three years.

As I mentioned in the quoted post, I deleted the pictures from my tinypic account.  I didn't even realize this thread was still around to worry about the pics being relevent.

I deleted pics used in a bunch of other threads, too.  Should I worry about getting locked for those as well?

ETA:  I see no reason for this thread to continue as I don't have the pics to repost.  Please lock it when you're able.
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 6:55:59 AM EDT
[#43]
IBTL
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 7:33:47 AM EDT
[#44]
OP Request
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top