Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2014 1:02:53 AM EDT
Hello guys, looking at picking up a 12 gauge tactical shotgun. My problem is I'm not sure on weather to get a pump or semi, and if I want Remington, or Mossberg. Any pros and cons on the two that I should know about, and why?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:22:52 AM EDT
[#1]
My choice is a mossberg 590a1.  I like a pump for protection and semi for game.  
Mossberg safety is way better than 870...Me thinks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:24:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll vote for pump 870. I grew up with their safety so it's second nature to me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:25:44 AM EDT
[#3]
One way to look at it is simplicity, a pump has less parts than a semi-automatic.  A semi has the advantage of a quicker rate of fire.

I have a Benelli M4 which puked a piston, I have an 870P Remington that has never missed a beat.  

That doesn't mean I would hesitate to pick up the Benelli if need be.  The 870P started at about 40% of what the M4 cost, so there's that aspect also.

Just my.02
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:27:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't listen to a 14'er, listen to me... FPNI.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:00:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Our dept issued 870 and I liked my Moss 500 better because the action was smoother... but it could be because I'm not stingy with lubrication and the dept was. I also have a M1 tactical but would still grab the 500 in a heartbeat.

You can put a long barrel on it and use it for target or game. From very light to heavy loads no function issues.  A Knoxx stock on a pump softens the recoil a lot.

My choice would be a pump first, then get an autoloader next.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I never understand the notion that semi-auto shotguns are unreliable but semi-auto rifles (AR15) are.  Don't get me wrong: I have both pump shotguns and semi-auto ones.  My semi-auto Remington and Browning shotguns are no less reliable than my pump Remington and Winchester shotguns.  Pumps do tend to be cheaper.

That gas operated Remington 1100 tactical is extremely reliably, has a higher rate of first, much softer recoil and actually shares many parts with that 870 pump. For instance, they magazine extension tubes are identical.  You can pick up a used 1100 at a reasonable price and easily and inexpensively convert it to tactical configuration.  I did that. It always go bang.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#7]
My home defense shotgun is a Beretta 1201fp.   It is stone cold reliable.

I shoot Beretta semiautos for competition, and Benellis for hunting, so the dynamics and mechanics of the 1201 are very familiar to me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hello guys, looking at picking up a 12 gauge tactical shotgun. My problem is I'm not sure on weather to get a pump or semi, and if I want Remington, or Mossberg. Any pros and cons on the two that I should know about, and why?
View Quote

What's your budget?????

Generally speaking, reliable pumps are cheaper than reliable auto loaders....
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What's your budget?????

View Quote

This.  Semiauto shotguns that are reliable enough for defensive use are out there, but they're going to cost around twice as much as a pump of equal quality.

That being said, if you can afford it, autoloader by a mile, provided you're set on using a shotgun.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.  Semiauto shotguns that are reliable enough for defensive use are out there, but they're going to cost around twice as much as a pump of equal quality.

That being said, if you can afford it, autoloader by a mile, provided you're set on using a shotgun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your budget?????

Yup this right here...

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a FNH 18" SLP which is my go to shotgun for HD. I does not like low recoil rounds. But firing full power (1325fps) or faster it cycles the action fine. I have it loaded with Federal XM127 00 buckshot. I know Mossberg has 930 semi-auto shotgun as well but I have no experience with it. I also have a 590A1 as well and I take them both to gun range when I go.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I spent years in uniform so I really like Pump SGs...My favorite is the Winchester defender due to reduced felt recoil and weight, but they are no longer avail in US config (more than 5 rnd mag) without 'smithing.  870's are great and I have recently finished customizing my own 870 from a rusty 870 express pawn shop find..  Can't go wrong with Mossberg 590 either but would go with an 870 express over a Mossy 500.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My choice is a mossberg 590a1.  I like a pump for protection and semi for game.  
Mossberg safety is way better than 870...Me thinks.
View Quote

Yep, M590A1
Being a left handed shooter, Mossy tang safety wins.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll vote for pump 870. I grew up with their safety so it's second nature to me.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#15]
In an indoor, close range gunfight, IMHO a reliable semi is better....14" Benelli below:

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#16]
IF you do go with a semi- make sure to get some good training and LOTS of range time to include stoppage drills.  Semi's take a lot more practice to use just as an AR does in comparison to a bolt gun.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IF you do go with a semi- make sure to get some good training and LOTS of range time to include stoppage drills.  Semi's take a lot more practice to use just as an AR does in comparison to a bolt gun.  
View Quote

I've seen more stoppages from guys short stroking pump guns than anything else. No matter what you decide to use you gotta train with it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#18]
This started out as a '70s era Rem 1100 Deer Gun. 21" IC tube w/ open rifle sights.  Now has Speedfeed synthetic stocks, extended mag tube, bridge rail with Lucid M7 dot, irons visible at bottom of the dot, EOTech/Insight weapon light w/ tape switch, and Brownells Latigo sling.  Federal FliteControl 00B and Brenneke slugs.  Very reliable.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Semi's take a lot more practice to use just as an AR does in comparison to a bolt gun.  
View Quote

To punch holes in paper maybe.

To effectively fight with, the bolt gun is going to require a much, much larger training commitment.  

The same goes for the shotguns.  A pump is going to require more, not less, training to be proficient.  Any shotgun is going to require much, much more training to be used as an effective combat tool than an autoloading rifle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I stick with pumps for HD.  They're half the price and work just fine.  I don't need 7 shots in 0.8 seconds in a HD role.  

That being said, I'm an 870 guy but I'm getting a Winchester SXP Defender shortly to "broaden my horizons"
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

To effectively fight with, the bolt gun is going to require a much, much larger training commitment.  

The same goes for the shotguns.  A pump is going to require more, not less, training to be proficient.  Any shotgun is going to require much, much more training to be used as an effective combat tool than an autoloading rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Semi's take a lot more practice to use just as an AR does in comparison to a bolt gun.  

Point completely missed but okay.... Talking about complexity of operation..

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Point completely missed but okay.... Talking about complexity of operation..  
View Quote

Uh... no.

How is "load, charge, pull trigger, repeat"  more complex than "load, charge, pull trigger, pump back, pump forward, pull trigger, pump back, pump forward, pull trigger... "?

The semiauto might have more going on on the inside of the gun, but not on the part of the operator.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Pump mossberg
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Not sure, but my 1100, which does share many parts with an 870, may actually have fewer moving parts.  There are very few parts to the gas system, which I think is simpler than the pump/slide mechanism of the 870.  It is very simple. No action bars to bind or jam, either.  Can't say the design is more reliable, but don't think it is less so.  It's not about how fast you can fire. It is more about fewer things to do and do precisely, less body movement, and it is about reduced recoil of the gas operated piston system.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:39:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I have always preferred the Mossberg 500 over the Remington 870, it just feels more solidly built to me.  The Mossberg safety has it's good/bad though, it's located on the top of the receiver so it is very easy to use with a standard stock.  But if you want a pistol grip stock you wont be able to operate the safety and keep your hand completely on the grip.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#26]
What people fail to realize is fine motor skills tend to go out the window in stressful situation. At that point training kicks in, so if you dont train with it a lot (which most don't with shotguns) you're better off with a semi. At the very least you'll get 6 to 9 shots off before requiring a reload.  A pump shotgun is very succeptable to short stroking, which will put you in a bad spot after one or two rounds. If you DO train with it and get it down to motor memorization, it's personal preference.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I sold my M1, M2 and SLPs, replaced them with a Scattergun Tech. BP. A driving factor for me was debris contamination, not a deal breaker for the semis, but the Wilson met my use better. General statements don't apply, individual requirement can't be answered based on assumptions, I suggest before your purchase you research as much as possible, then buy and take classes / get trigger time in above all else.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:39:58 AM EDT
[#28]
After shooting thousands of rounds through various guns I don't think I will buy a pump as anything other than a fun gun. I would take my 1100 over any shotgun I own.

If I had to choose a auto on reliability alone it would probably be a Benelli M2 or M4 but that said a FN/winchester, or Versamax would be just fine with me.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:51:58 PM EDT
[#29]
My personal tactical shotgun for home defense is a Benelli SuperNova tactical. Pump action, 18" barrel, comfortech stock system, Shoots 3.5" ammo. Only down side is from the factory it's only a 4+1 capacity. I added a Nordic Components tube extension.

I also own a Mossberg JM PRO 930 with the 24" barrel, and 9+1 capacity. More firepower, but also a bigger gun. Being left handed I do like Mossberg's tang style safety.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top