Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2014 5:18:38 PM EDT
I'm looking for something for shooting skeet and trap.

I am left handed

Looking at a 12 guage over under

I get good pricing on all 3 so price isn't really and issue.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Browning is the best of the three and Beretta would be a step up. I was happy with my Franchi but Stoegers are too cheap for me.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If browning is a option I wouldn't even consider the other two. Whole different class of guns. I would take a used browning or beretta before before anything else.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I've always found Brownings too big and blocky.  The Italians (take your pick) have always stuck me as more slender and better handling shotguns.  I love my Franchi 20 gauge.  Friend has Faustis, Rizzinis, Berettas, a few others.  But no Brownings.  They are a solid shotgun, maybe to solid.  Stoeger is bottom of the heap.  I've seen a number of them at the club, they seem to work, just very chunky and inelegant.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I really hadn't considered beretta but it looks like it would cost me $200 more then a franchi to step up to 686 silver pigeon.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the Franchi over the Browning and the Beretta equal with the Franchi. It would be a tough choice between the two but I would chose Franchi since I shoot it better.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really hadn't considered beretta but it looks like it would cost me $200 more then a franchi to step up to 686 silver pigeon.
View Quote

Worth it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are talking low end Berettas, they are about the same as Brownings in that same price range, quality-wise.   Different dynamics and fit.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I've always considered the Brownings and Berettas to be basically equal, just different. I prefer the Berettas personally. The Franchi I put just slightly lower and the Stoeger much lower (still functional but definitely not in the same class).
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:26:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've always considered the Brownings and Berettas to be basically equal, just different. I prefer the Berettas personally. The Franchi I put just slightly lower and the Stoeger much lower (still functional but definitely not in the same class).
View Quote

Quality but the styling of the Beretta is better.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree but it's a personal preference. I know others who like the Browning styling better.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I shoot clays weekly, and I see many people who want to get into clays make one big mistake with their shotgun choice.- buying a field gun to use for sport shooting.

Bottom level sporting guns start at $1500 and go up from there.

At that price point, New and used SKB's are a good value. The new SKB's are from Turkey, but have good reviews.

Beretta 686 Sporting guns are $2400+.

Browning 525, 625, and 725 start at ~$2000 and quickly climb to $3500.

Shotgun fit is very important, so go for a left hand stock. Cast on, and left hand palm swell.  Sporting guns tend to have a higher comb so the gun shoots 50-50 to 90-10.

Skeet and trap can be shot well with a good semi-auto.  Sporting clays are better shot with an O/U.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#12]

+1

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd would help if there was a decent place that could actually help me get fitted to a gun the best that's possible without going ful custom.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd would help if there was a decent place that could actually help me get fitted to a gun the best that's possible without going ful custom.
View Quote

Where do you live?   There are stock fitters who can actually bend your stock to correct for drop, cast and pitch without having to build a custom stock to your specifications.   Larry Feland in Houston, TX for example.  

Another option is to have an adjustable comb installed that can be moved to accomodate a left handed gunner.   A guy local to me does that for $150-$175.

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I am a dedicated Beretta gun when it comes to O/U guns but the wife has Browning 525 and it is a really good gun, hard to go wrong with either.

One PLUS for the Browning in your situation is that you can (or could at one time) get them in left hand versions (the wife’s gun is a LH model). The stock’s cast and palm swell is left hand, the opening lever operates the same as the RH guns
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top