Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2009 7:18:04 PM EDT
Hi all,

I need to mount a sling on my Remington 870. Here's the method I'm thinking of using:
1. Get a magazine cap w/ built-in sling swivel
2. Screw a sling swivel into the stock
3. Attach a sling

Does this sound reasonable? Any advice/tips would be appreciated. I do love my 870, don't want to screw it up!

Thanks,
Jimmy
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds about right.  Use a drill press to keep everything nice and straight.  You can drill and tap you mag cap no problem.  Again, use your drill press for this. Go to a gun shop and measure where to put the stock screw.  I like the Uncle Mike's quick detach swivels.
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you are g2g. Use a drill press as bmyk said or use a drill with a built in bubble level if you have one.

I have also read that some people like to make a small dent with a nail where they are going to drill the stud. This keeps the drill bit from skipping around if you use a hand drill.

You can also get the GG&G sling mounts that clamp between the mag cap and barrel. There is another that clamps between the receiver and the stock.

I have both and love them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey i just did this tonight, i with my 870, no drill press thought, just eyed it, instructions said to use 5/32 bit and go in 7/8 in to stock, then like 1/8 with the 7/32, came out great, ill post some pics,

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa274/Mrbaaman/stockbefore.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa274/Mrbaaman/stock.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa274/Mrbaaman/stockpic.jpg

Hope This Helps, all together took 10-15 mins, and cost around $20 bucks, bought a nice set of drill bits for $10.
-Dan
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 6:22:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey i just did this tonight, i with my 870, no drill press thought, just eyed it, instructions said to use 5/32 bit and go in 7/8 in to stock, then like 1/8 with the 7/32, came out great, ill post some pics,

Hope This Helps, all together took 10-15 mins, and cost around $20 bucks, bought a nice set of drill bits for $10.
-Dan

Dan,

How far from the end of the stock did you drill the hole, or did you just kinda eye-ball it?

JH
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 6:24:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Do shotguns require a certain length sling or will any rifle sling pretty much fit?

JH
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 7:31:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do shotguns require a certain length sling or will any rifle sling pretty much fit?

JH

Rifle sling will be fine.

Also, when you drill. I like to measure the depth they say to go on the drill bit and mark it with some tape. It makes it a lot easier
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#7]
instructions said 2-2.5 inches from but plate, i took a look at some pics on here and eye balled it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

instructions said 2-2.5 inches from but plate, i took a look at some pics on here and eye balled it.

Speaking of butt-plates,does anyone know where to get a steel one? I want to turn my Wingmaster into a 18.5" defender and use a Garand leather sling. I want to kinda do a retro-like build.
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

JH

I find when using a two point side sling i need a slightly longer sling for an 870 than an M4
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

JH

I find when using a two point side sling i need a slightly longer sling for an 870 than an M4

Probably so. I use the GG&G sling mounts though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm looking at the Uncle Mike's swing swivels for the Rem 870; there's one for internal ratchet type system and one for ball and detent type. How do I tell which one I have- it's a Rem 870 Express, that means internal mag tube ratchet-type system, correct?

JH
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 7:22:16 AM EDT
[#12]
yea, i am not 100% buy my express has the ratcheting system, in the mag tube. i think your right.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the advice everyone, I installed a set of Uncle Mike's swivels & sling tonight and it turned out perfect. I also couldn't resist adding a stock shell-holder after seeing one in Soileater's pictures. Will probably take it out into the field this weekend...

JH
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#14]
haha, cool, i also cut a little hole, in the shell holder to prevent it from sliding, and burnt edges so it wouldn't unravel . and slid it over the stock swivel mount, and then attached the sling over it. this makes the elastic shell holder not move. Glad to hear everything turned out good.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 7:07:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
haha, cool, i also cut a little hole, in the shell holder to prevent it from sliding, and burnt edges so it wouldn't unravel . and slid it over the stock swivel mount, and then attached the sling over it. this makes the elastic shell holder not move. Glad to hear everything turned out good.

Dan how did you burn the hole you cut in the shell holder without setting the thing on fire. I assume a hot metal object of some sort?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top