Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 3:41:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the Choate a test model you have for the 930 or does the 1187/1100 handle fit the 930?

Choates website sucks lol.

I seriously need to replace this stock handle.

Thanks guys

Shawn
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 6:21:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Max is making me a mod to the Knob I have. I'm looking forward to getting it, the Choate is preety big. Hopefuly he will make me one for my 11-87 also.

Sounds good.  Looking forward to seeing it.

Which waterfowl the 26" or 28"?

I believe it is the 26.  I am thinking about the security/waterfowl combo and replacing the safety, bolt handle, and adding a +1 extension.  Leaving it fairly light for defensive use and being able to switch it out for birds easily.  I might go with the Nordic extension on that as well.

Quoted:
Is the Choate a test model you have for the 930 or does the 1187/1100 handle fit the 930?

The 1187 handles does not fit.
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#3]
If anyone is interested choate has the cocking lever in stock its not on there websight so youll have to call 11bucks
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#4]

The 1187 handles does not fit.

Thanks for the info, I just got done speaking with MAX and i'm straight.

Shawn
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#5]
TAGGED
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 4:47:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I cant find a 930 spx anywhere is there a long wait from the factory I need this gun BAD
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#7]
They are hard to find.
If you don't mind paying a transfer you can check with GT Distributors and have it sent to your FFL.
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Got one last week at Dicks in Las Vegas out the door 615. No ATF background check, have a CCW.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:06:05 AM EDT
[#9]
In another threadBradthegunmaniac noted that the forward screws on his sight rail were long enough to bind on the barrel during operation.  I am wondering if this is the cause of the stripped threads on the actions that some of us have experienced.  
I still do not have a "nice" solution to this issue.  I do not think that Mossberg has one either, if they even admit to it.  If the reciever is of an allowy that will allow it to be welded we could weld, drill and rethread with appropriate hardware.  Short term the adhesive fix is the only option that I can come up with.
I think that the mismach in the contour of the reciever and the rail is a contributing factor in this issue.
woody
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#10]

CHOATE

ARFCOM's own Max100's design. Max did you come up with a retail yet?

Comparision:
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't quote a price on my own product because AR15.com will say I am promoting it.  

The pictures above are of one of the first prototypes.  There have been some changes made.

Here is what The NOB looks like now.

GC
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 3:18:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got one of Max's NOBs on my 930 HS model and IMHO it's the best design for an extended cocking handle I've ever seen or used.  I've shown it to several other instructors in my area and all agreed it's an excellent design.  One of the other instructors dubbed the shape a "nail head" as the shaft and end resemble a very large nail.

It's easier to "hit" from any angle, provides an excellent purchase for either hand even with gloves, and the round end avoids hangups on other equipment and clothing that the square handles always seem to find.

This is an excellent addition to the 930 series gun, even on a gun used strictly for hunting.  Hopefully Max will make them for the 1100/1187 series guns, I'm pretty sure I can line up some customers.  

Max, I need a couple for A5 Brownings when you find time .

Rob
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Ha, this is just what I wanted.

Good work AR15.com!
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 5:06:53 AM EDT
[#14]
how can I get in touch with MAX100?
woody
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 6:40:36 AM EDT
[#15]
If he doesn't reply here you can email him.
IM me if you need his info.
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Give me an email and I will provide info. I am about a week behind on filling orders.

GC
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Is it just me Max but it looks like you have a choke in the end of that barrel?
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Is it just me Max but it looks like you have a choke in the end of that barrel?

I had my SPX tapped for choke tubes and a 4" extend cone done. That is a Colonial Arms Modified extended Knurled stainless choke tube. I put a bake on matte black finish on the end. The tube adds 1/4" to the length and protects the muzzle from dings.

I have found a modified choke is the best all round choke for buckshot.  

GC
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 6:50:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Nicely done
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#20]
DMR - you said you were liking the breacher model with the plus one mag extension, which is exactly how I have mine setup.  It looked like (in one of your pics on page one) you tried the Mesa Tactical Barrel/Mag extension clamp on the breacher model and I was wondering how it fit.  I talked to Mesa Tactical and they said their clamp for the Remington 870 fit the SPX perfectly, but I think the breacher model's barrel is a little thicker than the SPX.  I'm looking for a good solid mount for my 930 breacher so I can put my Surefire x300 light on it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 4:52:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Here is a pic of the Mesa unit:

Fit is very good and it is the Mesa 870 unit.

Damn, when I orginaized the files on my server I dumped all of the old linked photos Links are fixed now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 5:25:26 AM EDT
[#22]
$525 (plus tax and lookup fee) sound decent price?
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 6:06:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
$525 (plus tax and lookup fee) sound decent price?

Yes, and even more if you can actually find one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Does anyone know if there are stocks available with shorter LOP? 13" is much more comfortable for me. I know...I have T-Rex arms.

Regards,
Mickey
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#25]
No, and it will be difficult to do given the recoil spring mechanism.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I can't seem to find the mag tube for tghe 930 - but clearly choate makes one since they put it on the 930spx... could it be under a different model?
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I just bought mine at Dick's Sporting Goods.  Asking price was $569, but it was their display model with a couple of scuffs, so they knocked off 10% for a total of $512 +tax.  I haven't tried it yet, but it is a well put-together firearm.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:34:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Just picked one up myself.  Been looking for months as I think this will be the perfect replacement for my big heavy 590.  I finally picked up a used one in a trade deal this past weekend.

A couple of questions for you guys.  I have only owned one auto before and it is a Remy 1100.  I can just fill the tube and when I needed the gun ready for action I could just pull back the charging handle and drop the slide forward.  It chambered a shell and we were off to the races.

The Mossy will not do that.  If I fill the tube and then pull the charging bar bar back it locks open.  No shell is kicked up to load in the chamber.  I worked and worked thinking that this was not right.  So after giving up I did what all of us hate to admit to ever doing.  I downloaded the owners manual from the web site and read it.  Seems the recomended way to load this baby is to lock the slide open, drop a round in, hit the release button thus loading the chamber.  Then load the magazine tube.  

Not a big issue except I was wanting to leave it with the tube loaded and the magazine empty for home defense.  Thus racking the charging handle back to feed the first round and be ready to go.  Other than round chambered and safety on how do you guys keep the gun when setting ready for action?
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:58:40 AM EDT
[#29]
It does... that is how you have to load it at 3-gun matches.

You load the tube with the bolt closed, then when you load and make ready and ground the gun, you chamber a round by opening and closing the bolt, then loading another shell into the tube.

Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:11:36 AM EDT
[#30]
height=8
Quoted:
It does... that is how you have to load it at 3-gun matches.

You load the tube with the bolt closed, then when you load and make ready and ground the gun, you chamber a round by opening and closing the bolt, then loading another shell into the tube.

Not with the SPX I have.  If I load the tube with the bolt closed and an empty chamber when I open the bolt again it does not cyle in a round from the magazine tube.  It will lock back and I would have to then put a loose round in the chamber and hit the slide release button.  My tube would still be full however.  
Just wondering if this was normal for the SPX.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:58:20 AM EDT
[#31]
nope, not normal, cycles fine in mine.

Actually, now that I think about it, when I cycle it by hand to chamber a round, I pull it back to just before it locks, but I don't have a problem with it feeding a round.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:32:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Sounds like mine might have an issue........ Can anyone else chime in and let me know if I need to be contacting Mossberge on this.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:48:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Sounds like mine might have an issue........ Can anyone else chime in and let me know if I need to be contacting Mossberge on this.

You said you bought it used.  The previous owner might have known something you just discovered.
I keep mine cruiser ready (empty chamber, hammer down, mag tube at -1).  I just operate the bolt handle to chamber, load one into the mag tube, and go.  
Sounds like yours is inop for some reason.  They should not do that.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#34]
OK, I have started to work this bug out.  I pulled the tube and barrel just to take a look.  I could not see anything wrong but I wiped it down, oiled it a bit and put everything back together.  Now it will cycle as it should if you use a very forceful slam back.  Fairly consistantly but it almost always fails to load the last round.  It does not quite get pushed all the way out of the magazine.  Could this be a week mag spring?  I am thinking that tomorrow night I will tear it down and do a good cleaning, even though it does not look dirty.  Then see if it is working a bit smoother.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:22:34 AM EDT
[#35]
DMR or anyone else,

What is the verdict on the 3 Gun Gear Elastic / velcro side saddle?  Does it work as well as expected?  Does it hold the rounds well?  Does it seem to be streching and loosening up?  And finally how does the velcro back attach to the receiver?  

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
DMR or anyone else,

What is the verdict on the 3 Gun Gear Elastic / velcro side saddle?  Does it work as well as expected?  Does it hold the rounds well?  Does it seem to be streching and loosening up?  And finally how does the velcro back attach to the receiver?  

Thanks for any info.

I don't leave the shells in mine and it holds them just right. Not to tight, but not loose enough to fall out.
The Velcro back is a peel off adhesive.  I cleaned that side of my shotgun with alcohol first, and there is no sign of it peeling off.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 3:17:25 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
OK, I have started to work this bug out.  I pulled the tube and barrel just to take a look.  I could not see anything wrong but I wiped it down, oiled it a bit and put everything back together.  Now it will cycle as it should if you use a very forceful slam back.  Fairly consistantly but it almost always fails to load the last round.  It does not quite get pushed all the way out of the magazine.  Could this be a week mag spring?  I am thinking that tomorrow night I will tear it down and do a good cleaning, even though it does not look dirty.  Then see if it is working a bit smoother.

Just wondering how this is working out for you.  That last round feeding problem certainly sounds like a weak mag spring, I know that mine is lighter than my 870's, but all of them have extra tension springs in them.

Rob
Link Posted: 10/29/2008 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I just got mine from Dicks. $500 + tax on the wall display . I cant seem to find any probems with it. Ill shoot it this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#39]
You guys have any recomendations for having a choke installed? A good smith!
Link Posted: 11/5/2008 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Just got mine yesterday, right after I voted. Just wondering how I can dress this shotty up?
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Just picked up a slugster!

Can't wait to shoot it!
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:29:28 AM EDT
[#42]
After months of looking for one of these, I found this thread and called up a local Dicks Sporting Goods. They had one in stock. When I got there, it had its front sight canted to the left. So I had them call around and went to another store about 50 miles away only to find another one with a canted sight.

When I got home, I called up some more stores and found one that had TWO in stock. Another 120 mile round trip was worth it to get something I have wanted for awhile. I got there, and to my horror BOTH had the same sight picture slightly canted to the left. I decided to buy one anyway and send the barrel back to Mossberg to be fixed. I am being to think that was a bad move as I can't even get through to them all day today. First attept said they were busy and to hold or get a call back. Ever since then, I am getting just a busy signal.

Anyone get theirs back from Mossberg that were sent in? What kind of turn around should I expect?

I need one of those oversized charging handles, does anyone carry them yet? Can't find a online store called The Gun Connection

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I can't seem to find the mag tube for tghe 930 - but clearly choate makes one since they put it on the 930spx... could it be under a different model?

Choate part #02-04-32. This is the "7-shot" model. Also referred to as "+2" on their site. Both statements can be true: 1) Use the anti-tilt follower Choate supplies with this tube and the magazine capacity is 6 (2.75" or 3"), or 2) Use the factory cup-type follower and the total magazine capacity is 7 (2.75").

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Shot the slugster today.

Put 50 rds of sabots through her

Shoulder is SORE.

Shoots like a dream. I did some digging and found out that Lightfield Hybreds have shot well out of others guns so I tired them.

50 yards, 2 inches high 3 holes touching (looked like 2 shots).

I am happy. Gun never malfunctioned and am ready to chase bambi this weekend here in WI.

Thinking about having the long bbl cut down and rethreaded or picking up an 18" for some close in grouse work.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Where is the best place to get a SPX.  I figure some of the sponsers here sell them, but who. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Here we are two days later. I have multiple messages left via phone and e-mails to Mossberg with no response. A call during business hours to customer service gets a busy signal 99% of the time with the other 1% being a message constantly repeated that they are busy and to leave a call back number or to hold. I wait as long as 30 minutes with my home phone set on speaker before I gave in.

Do you guys think Dick's will get it back faster from Mossberg if I let them send it in or if I send it in myself?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:57:43 AM EDT
[#47]
It'll be at least a month either way.  Mine had mag ext. failure 2 weeks after purchase. Took it back to Dick's. One month turn around just to get a new Chote extenson>
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Al has them in stock. Check it out

Hoffmeyers.com

Good price too
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Just got one last week.

Can anyone provide a link to purchase an pistol grip stock?
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Choate Machine & Tool has them.  I think it's www.choatestocks.com
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top