Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2007 7:50:29 PM EDT
are they worth the money or not ? im seeing more and more of them turn up at the local gun shows and  ive thought about buying one im  just curious to hear what your thoughts are on them ?  
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a long time 870 guy. I own a 11-87P and recently purchased the M4. I've shot hundreds of rounds down range with it and I must say that slug, buck, birdshot..... it eats everything without a malfunction.

I've used several types of "tactical" low recoil buck and bottom line is that the gun works.

I took it to Louis Awerbuck's shotgun course last fall and discussed it with him. I used an 870 for the course since it's my duty gun. Louis said he's taught hundreds of Marines on the M4 and he hasn't seen one malfunction either. Good enough for me.

I'd bet my life on it... I guess that's the best I can offer.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I guy at work has one and his sometimes does not work with the low recoil buck with 8 pellets. It is new it might just need breaking in too I told him.
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#3]
the only problem i have with it, is some times, you can shoot faster than the action. happened to me multiple times. my m1 seems to be faster.

on the plus, my m4 cycles on bags, i haven't  seen another semi do that, my m1 couldn't.

during my break in period i had some problems but now, it just works...
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#4]
yea i did some looking around on the net and think im going to pick up one thats got the pistol grip/sliding stock on it , and i did a quick look on brownells.com and they offer a 2 shot mag extention for the m4 benelli im hoping it replaces the limited capacity tube they have on there has anyone done this mod?
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 12:41:12 AM EDT
[#5]
the collapseable stocks are starting to sell for insane prices, benelli stopped sellin them to john q public...  a couple on gun broker were sellin for 750 bux.
Link Posted: 4/1/2007 4:36:16 AM EDT
[#6]
M4 model 11707 - 18" barrel  Semi-Auto
http://www.lesalesusa.com/products/benelli.htm

This is the Military M4 - JSCS

$1,429 plus shipping

$1,700 plus shipping includes collapsible stock (not shown)

Price of $1,700.00 includes the LE/Military collapsible stock (shipped in separate box), but not the extended magazine tube as seen in the photo. Gun comes from Benelli with pistol grip fixed stock installed.  LE/Military collapsible stock can be purchased separately for $350 plus shipping.  Purchaser is responsible for verifying local and state laws for legality BEFORE purchasing collapsible stock and extended magazine tube.

I bought one from them a few months ago. They will sell to civilians.
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 5:21:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Local laws do not matter when it comes to an extended mag tube on a Benelli. If it has a pistol grip, extended tube and is not "pre-ban" then you could be facing possible legal problems. I write this not to be a stick in the mud.. but to let people who may not know

It either has to be

Regular stock and extended tube OR pistol grip and +2

In any event the M4 is nice... but for the money the M1/M2/M3 do the same thing for alot less.
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Not shure how much less for the M3, most i see gong new are about 1200  or 1300 NIB, lucky me i just picked up a  H&K Benelli M3 last week for 800 clams

Jesse
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 10:55:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Local laws do not matter when it comes to an extended mag tube on a Benelli. If it has a pistol grip, extended tube and is not "pre-ban" then you could be facing possible legal problems. I write this not to be a stick in the mud.. but to let people who may not know

It either has to be

Regular stock and extended tube OR pistol grip and +2

In any event the M4 is nice... but for the money the M1/M2/M3 do the same thing for alot less.

care to clarify? there is no longer a ban in place... state and local laws still may prohibit collapsible stocks and high capacity mags (ie: NJ, CA, MD, NY)

i have an M3... i paid $1000 for it NIB with the mag extension a few years ago... i have never had a failure in it through several hundred rounds of buckshot, slugs, birdshot, etc...

doesn't the M4 use some type of spring assisted gas operation to help cycle the lighter loads like bean bags, breaching, and non-lethal rounds? i've fired a few breaching rounds through my M3 but i switched it to "pump" action to cycle them...
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#10]
It is 1989  922 complient law U need to go buy not the AWB law. U can add all the stuff so long it is the tube is US made . Every gun(HK, Ak's, Sigs, etc) that comes into the country has to follow the part counts.  THe M4 is gas + inert system.
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#11]
You are right (922 compliant) what was I thinking...

Personally I would like to see them take someone to court over it.. Just another one of those "Stupid" laws,,,,

Link Posted: 4/2/2007 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#12]
if the awb is no more how  would they nail anyone for the "bad parts" ? like all the guys that bought post ban Ar15s and when the awb ban went away , all the "pre ban" parts went on to it , i dont see how a benelli m4 shotgun would be any different arnt they made in a us factory??  
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
if the awb is no more how  would they nail anyone for the "bad parts" ? like all the guys that bought post ban Ar15s and when the awb ban went away , all the "pre ban" parts went on to it , i dont see how a benelli m4 shotgun would be any different arnt they made in a us factory??  

Nope, they're imported from Italy. In order to be imported as a sporting shotgun it cannot have more than 1 evil feature. Those being, folding or telescoping stocks, pistol grip, magazine capacity more than 5 rounds, or ability to accept a detachable magazine.
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#14]
So... could I get the M4 with the standard stock (non-pistol) and then add the extension tube? I don't really see the collapsable stock as very functional. Looks cool, but that's about it. As far as I know, it only has extended or retracted settings.

I'm looking at either this or the M3 with an extension.
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#15]
id like to buy one with the collapseable stock/the pistol grip and then go threw brownells and add the mag extension , make it just like the usmc's gun
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
id like to buy one with the collapseable stock/the pistol grip and then go threw brownells and add the mag extension , make it just like the usmc's gun

Look at this first. It's a 1 piece mag tube, and very good quality. Plus it's "US" made.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7817
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#17]
i was interested in the full length tube for my m4 benelli anyone out there have any suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
the collapseable stocks are starting to sell for insane prices, benelli stopped sellin them to john q public...  a couple on gun broker were sellin for 750 bux.

I found this for something like 30-40 bucks at a yard sale:

Link Posted: 4/23/2007 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats kind of expensive for a box
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

ah, but the box is full, ...i hope
Link Posted: 4/24/2007 7:01:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

ah, but the box is full, ...i hope

Who was selling a part that is currently going for 750 online, for 40 bucks?
Link Posted: 4/25/2007 7:03:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Criminey!  i just looked at Gunbroker, and theres one like mine (gun, ext, and stock) going for $2700 with the collaspable stock.  If thats true, mine is going up for sale.
Link Posted: 4/25/2007 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#23]
junker you should sell the stock to me for $400
Link Posted: 4/25/2007 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Criminey!  i just looked at Gunbroker, and theres one like mine (gun, ext, and stock) going for $2700 with the collaspable stock.  If thats true, mine is going up for sale.

I would really be suprised if that thing sold that high. The stocks I've seen actually sell have been about 600. Which means you would get at most 2K for your package deal. Never under-estimate stupid people though.

So... did you purchase that stock off some widow that didn't know any better???
Link Posted: 4/25/2007 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would really be suprised if that thing sold that high. The stocks I've seen actually sell have been about 600. Which means you would get at most 2K for your package deal. Never under-estimate stupid people though.

So... did you purchase that stock off some widow that didn't know any better???

Nah, I'll come clean: I didn't really know a lot about these things, then or now, when I saw it on a pile of about 20 new ones at a funshow in Dallas.  At the time, any weapon I bought was militarily-connected (caliber or model) and I knew the Marines used them.  I was walking away after the purchase and the clerk said "wait, this comes with it" and handed me that box.  I've never opened it.

Now, when I sent the gun back for its recall, I have wondered if it had the milled tube and was it removed?
Link Posted: 4/25/2007 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#26]
recall????

is there something i should know about the m4 recall before i send the payment in for mine??
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 4:25:14 AM EDT
[#27]
No joke! I haven't heard anything about a recall???
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 5:33:13 AM EDT
[#28]
That was my phrase for it, in fact I learned of it here.  The deal was a condition/situation dealing with the "4 hole-ported" barrels (for the gas operating system).  The fix was to simply send in the gun and Benelli would switch out the barrel for the 2 hole one.

I've since run less than, say, 100 rounds thru it, and overall less than 500.  That being said, and not being an avid shotty owner, I'm not sure these things justify the expense over a domestic version.
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Junker46,

Do you mind telling us how much you paid?

ETA: And how about some pics?
Link Posted: 4/29/2007 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/30/2007 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The last letter that I had from the BATF said that you needed to swap 3 parts for US-made ones in order to install an extended magazine tube and telescoping stock. Their parts count is wrong -- 5 parts should be replaced. Their original letter said 1 part, so I bought a US-made magazine tube to be 922(r) compliant. Then they sent another letter months later saying that they'd made a mistake in their parts count and revised it to 3. At last check, there were only 2 US-made parts from the list of 20 -- magazine tubes and followers. If someone would make a US-made handguard, that would bring it up to 3 and make them legal for now. It's only a matter of time until the mail out a new letter updating the count to 5.

I got fed up with the 922(r) crap, and sold my 11707 at a local gunshow with the regular stock on it, then sold the telescoping stock here on Arfcom for around $75, if I remember correctly. It was a great shotgun, and never malfunctioned, but I wasn't about to jump through 1000 hoops to comply with the law. It wasn't worth the hassle.

The fact that we have to swap in US made parts to make a gun acceptable is batshit insane.
Link Posted: 4/30/2007 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/30/2007 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm fairly confused about this crap.  Literally a few days after I read that Benelli was no longer selling to civies, gunbroker prices went from $130 to damn near $1k ... read some on the benelli forums and supposedly class 3 dealers can still get them.  Any class 3 dealer types here know if this is BS or not?  Follow-up to that: care to hook up a fellow ARFCOMer?
Link Posted: 5/1/2007 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#34]

see below
Link Posted: 5/1/2007 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#35]
here ya go.  lets see the results of phooling with photoshop...

It has plastics stocks, made of blue steel, a non-hair trigger, and retails for about $1700.  S Marts top of the line.

YOU GOT THAT!!!

eta; now that i look at it, its rather a nice looking gun.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#36]
nice gauge, im still trying to find one with the collapsible stock i know there out there just none around here in the configuration i want  
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 5:10:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#39]
*shrug* I just won an auction on gunbroker for an M4.  Still looking for a collapsible stock that doesn't break the bank.  Already got quite a few US made parts in place to comply with the made-up 922(r) mumbo-jumbo.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#40]
In my experience the M4 runs perfectly until you add the two shot extention. Maybe the spring isn't set up for the extra shells? ymmv.  1,500 bucks for the limited edition.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Does oversized safety button or charging handle count?
I know DMW does those parts and they fit in M4 (i have those in my M4).
Bought them few years back from speedshooters.

ETA: looked Dave's metal works homepage. They also make the picatinny rail to benelli, could that be counted as a part as well?

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
In my experience the M4 runs perfectly until you add the two shot extention. Maybe the spring isn't set up for the extra shells? ymmv.  1,500 bucks for the limited edition.

When i addet +2 extension, i bought new about 10" longer spring from local gunsmith -> zero problems.

Hey, there's another part, that you can buy and is locally made!
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:21:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Does oversized safety button or charging handle count?
I know DMW does those parts and they fit in M4 (i have those in my M4).
Bought them few years back from speedshooters.

ETA: looked Dave's metal works homepage. They also make the picatinny rail to benelli, could that be counted as a part as well?

I tried to google it and couldn't find it.....link?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:40:12 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I tried to google it and couldn't find it.....link?

davesmetalworks.com
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:02:52 AM EDT
[#46]
I thought you were talking about a railed forearm for some reason, I heard that surefire was making one. thanks for the link.......guess I need more coffee
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Springs don't count, nor do oversized safety buttons or charging handles. ONLY the 15 parts on the list.

I dont want to sound mean, but i think your regulations s#ck big time!

Good luck guys, i hope you find all 5 locally made parts soon!
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Springs don't count, nor do oversized safety buttons or charging handles. ONLY the 15 parts on the list.

I dont want to sound mean, but i think your regulations s#ck big time!

Good luck guys, i hope you find all 5 locally made parts soon!

Too true

Quoted:
*shrug* I just won an auction on gunbroker for an M4.  Still looking for a collapsible stock that doesn't break the bank.  Already got quite a few US made parts in place to comply with the made-up 922(r) mumbo-jumbo.

To clarify "doesn't break the bank" I'm not paying $500 for a damn stock.  It's a freakin stock for cryin out loud...  if I wanted to pay >2x what something was worth, I'd go get that HK SOCOM pistol at the gunshop I saw yesterday.  Shit, $2.1k for a .45ACP HK!

That being said, I've got a full length mag tube from one of the individuals mentioned above :) One part down, looking into getting 4 more :)

Looking at:

Forearm - $200ish
Surefire M80 rail BenelliUSA link

Follower - $14-$20
From Brownell (SS or AL)
or
CactusTactical (Teflon coated - Note, I don't know if this would actually help, etc... it sounds cool, so chances are it's snake oil. $15

Barrel
Something Vang Comp... gotta locate a source though.

Well, that brings the part totals to 4 ... need 1 more; any suggestions?  Man, a US made collapsible buttstock would rock.  Someone poke Magpul.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top