Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2014 6:42:51 AM EDT
I'm trying to understand why our SR22s shoot low when we shoot high velocity ammo yet when we shoot standard they are on target.

I lucked out and got 3 bricks of CCI standard velocity and my daughter and I have been shooting that out of our SR22s.
Its on target making bullseyes.

Yet when we switch to Mini-Mags or Yellow Jackets the pistols shoot low.

All I can think of is that the recoil impulse is so fast with the High Velocity stuff that the pistols don't have time to "Jump up" before the bullet leaves the barrel.

When I shoot 22's out of my Ruger MKII or my S&W 22A This does not happen so I am kinda at a loss as to why the SR22s do it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#1]
How low are we talking?  And at what distance?

It's probably just your shooting.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Bore time and bullet weight combinations.

Lighter bullets usually impact lower.  Slower bullets have more bore time especially with a heavier bullet.  More muzzle rise.

40 grain would land higher than 34 or 36 grain usually.

I would expect the CCI 40 grain to land above the lighter Remington Yellow Jacket.  Are these MiniMag hollow points, 36 grain, or 40RN?

The sights are adjustable, right?  If there is any real difference, count elevation clicks and adjust for the ammo you are using.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:54:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Ah Ha that explains it.
At 15 yards the high speed bullets were striking 3 inches low.
The Sr22 had been sighted in with CCI standard velocity and were dead on and groping well . We had and still have quite a bit of CCI standard velocity.
When my daughter and I switched to high speed stuff it shot low.
The groups on the high speed were good (not as good as CCI standard) just 3 inches low.
So
When we run out of standard velocity I'll just have to raise the rear sight for the high speed ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top